Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

This has probably been asked before, but how are the special features on 2001? Trying to decide if I should rent or buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

fenix down posted:

This has probably been asked before, but how are the special features on 2001? Trying to decide if I should rent or buy.

They're all very good but are only in 480, I think.
But this would still be a buy without them, it's a stunning blu-ray.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Trump posted:

What exactly was the deal with this release anyway? It looked like complete loving poo poo.

To expand on what Voodoo posted, if I remember right, they brought Friedkin in to supervise the transfer, they showed him they could pretty much change the colors, and he decided that his actual vision was a gritty documentary type look with muted colors.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
With radioactive Santa suits.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
I saw that there is now a Blu Ray of The Conformist out in Great Britain, but it seems to not be a very good transfer.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Conformist-Blu-ray/30386/
Also it's region locked to B.

I was wondering if any goons had input of weather it would be worth taking to plunge and getting a region free player to watch it, or if I should just keep crossing my fingers for a North Americas release.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Cacator posted:

Yay! I held off in what I assumed was lost hope of this happening.

After this and with Apocalypse Now back in its OAR, maybe we'll see other questionable releases revisited - Patton without wax. A Univisium-less Last Emperor. Widescreen Colossus: The Forbin Project. Tideland in Gilliam's preferred odd ratio. Peace, love, understanding and natural film grain.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Shadley Puffin posted:

After this and with Apocalypse Now back in its OAR, maybe we'll see other questionable releases revisited - Patton without wax. A Univisium-less Last Emperor. Widescreen Colossus: The Forbin Project. Tideland in Gilliam's preferred odd ratio. Peace, love, understanding and natural film grain.

A Do the Right Thing where they've done the right thing.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Is there any word on Suspiria getting a Region A release any time soon?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

CPL593H posted:

A Do the Right Thing where they've done the right thing.

Criterion will be getting around to it eventually, I'm sure.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

fenix down posted:

If nothing else, I'd buy it because most places have the 2001 BD for pretty cheap.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

If anyone picked up the Keaton Short Films Collection, there's an excellent bonus short on disc 2 called Only Me. This guy Lupino Lane borrowed Keaton's idea from The Play House and ran with it, creating a vaudeville show where he is every act and every audience member. I won't give anything away, but it's nonstop hilarious, including a bit with a baby that is downright unbelievable.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

Sheldrake posted:

Is there any word on Suspiria getting a Region A release any time soon?

Nope.

I think the Weinsteins have the rights now. Not sure if they'll do a drat thing with it though, unless they end up going ahead with the remake.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A bunch of three-packs dropped price on Amazon.

Clerks/Chasing Amy/Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back - $19.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B007D0FVYA

These are all $14.99 each.

Live Free And Die Hard/Ronin/The Siege - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002G1WPK4
Alien vs. Predator/Predator/Commando - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001G7Q1PO
Jumper/Independence Day/I, Robot - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002G1WPOA
Fantastic Four/Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer/Daredevil - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001G7Q1PE

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I watched To Catch a Thief last night. Not exactly up there with Vertigo or Rear Window in terms of story, but one of the best Blu remasters I've seen. No smear-o-vision, just a light grain texture over razor sharp images. It almost looks 3-D. More reason why Paramount needs to keep on remastering their VistaVision films since all of their releases so far have been stellar (White Christmas, The Ten Commandments, )

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

So what's this thing about some HBO blus not working in all players? It's impossible to find any information on this problem, let alone how to fix it.

Apparently HBO introduced some java thing that doesn't play well with a lot of players. PS3 seems to play these releases fine. Even after exchanging the discs, the episode select in Boarwalk Empire freezes up my player, and it also likes to freeze during random parts in playback.

Is anyone else aware of this problem? Any players that play the newer HBO releases properly?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on Grand Illusion

Absolutely perfect-looking. Of course, it's a French Region B locked release. UK and German releases are already scheduled for next month. Lionsgate hasn't even released any StudioCanal titles since 2010, so a US release is not hopeful.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Brick Shipment posted:

So what's this thing about some HBO blus not working in all players? It's impossible to find any information on this problem, let alone how to fix it.

Apparently HBO introduced some java thing that doesn't play well with a lot of players. PS3 seems to play these releases fine. Even after exchanging the discs, the episode select in Boarwalk Empire freezes up my player, and it also likes to freeze during random parts in playback.

Is anyone else aware of this problem? Any players that play the newer HBO releases properly?

I noticed that Game of Thrones was slooooow to load on my Oppo BD-83, which is rare to encounter such issues (although when they did, a firmware update was soon to follow.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

OGB posted:

my Oppo BD-83,

I wish I had money.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What's special about the OPPO's anyway, do they just load quickly?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Fag Boy Jim posted:

What's special about the OPPO's anyway, do they just load quickly?

They're bought by those that appreciate the value of oxygen free HDMI cables to battle the evil villain Jitterman along with wooden volume knobs and other such things that people get when they drop half a grand on a player.

Actually the 83 model is a really nice player that I could see someone justifying as worth the money. They're solid units, as I understand deliver top notch output and have real strong support and updates for their products.

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 13, 2012

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I say this with little knowledge of the technology itself, but when I had an OPPO (rest in peace, friend), there was a significant improvement in DVD upconversion in relation to a PS3 like I have now. I'm not sure what made it look nicer but there was something going on in that machine.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

What's special about the OPPO's anyway?

With a few modifications, they're region free for DVD and BD.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

OGB posted:

I noticed that Game of Thrones was slooooow to load on my Oppo BD-83, which is rare to encounter such issues (although when they did, a firmware update was soon to follow.)
I have that problem too. But the blu still works, right? No menus freezing up your player and such?
I'm happy to fork out for that ridiculous player, especially since making it region free is so easy.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Brick Shipment posted:

I have that problem too. But the blu still works, right? No menus freezing up your player and such?
I'm happy to fork out for that ridiculous player, especially since making it region free is so easy.

Right, it worked just fine, just took a while to get there. The Star Wars blus had a similar issue, then they put out a new firmware. I feel like the same will happen here.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I wouldn't normally advertise FYE because they've always set the gold standard in overpriced poo poo. But for some reason my local store has a whole bunch of Blu-rays for ten dollars or less(and a good selection, no less). Many of them even beat the amazon prices. There's a bunch of copies of Evil Dead for ten bucks, for example. They also have copies of Battle Royale out already. I don't know if all stores will have the same pricing but if you have one in your area it's worth taking a look.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

I wouldn't normally advertise FYE because they've always set the gold standard in overpriced poo poo. But for some reason my local store has a whole bunch of Blu-rays for ten dollars or less(and a good selection, no less). Many of them even beat the amazon prices. There's a bunch of copies of Evil Dead for ten bucks, for example. They also have copies of Battle Royale out already. I don't know if all stores will have the same pricing but if you have one in your area it's worth taking a look.

I feel like FYE has gotten a lot better lately - I've found quite a few good deals in there over the last few months. They seem to have realized that they actually need to compete with online retailers to stay afloat.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVD Beaver put up a link for a May 28th release for Yellow Submarine... on Amazon UK.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0079J28NW/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-21&link_code=as2&creativeASIN=B0079J28NW&creative=3

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

DVD Beaver put up a link for a May 28th release for Yellow Submarine... on Amazon UK.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0079J28NW/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-21&link_code=as2&creativeASIN=B0079J28NW&creative=3

Much as I hate to say it, I think it's safe call bullshit on this.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I just got an email from Amazon about their daily deal and it's something:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Kubri...GYNNPHY0JMN88WW

Anyone familiar with this set have any opinions on quality of the transfers? As someone who is woefully uneducated about Kubrick (I've seen Clockwork and Full Metal Jacket plenty, but have only seen bits and pieces of the rest), is it worth it?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Quasipox posted:

Anyone familiar with this set have any opinions on quality of the transfers? As someone who is woefully uneducated about Kubrick (I've seen Clockwork and Full Metal Jacket plenty, but have only seen bits and pieces of the rest), is it worth it?
It's a mostly postive set, but it's still a mixed bag. Notably Spartacus and Lolita are pretty poorly done (I believe those are the only two that Warner Bros. doesn't actually own, which might explain the lazy job they did in comparison to the rest), and the audio mixing in Eyes Wide Shut is bad. The rest are pretty decent, though. 2001 is practically flawless and despite the issues with Barry Lyndon (it was discussed earlier in the thread, but the aspect ratio shown is not what Kubrick intended), it's still the best version available. Whether or not the whole thing is worth it if you're not a Kubrick fan already is debatable.

The worst thing about it is the cheap packaging. All the discs are just in these crappy sleeves that I think I've almost ripped several times trying to take them out or put them back in again

kuddles fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 16, 2012

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What's Amazon's normal price on that Kubrick set?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

caiman posted:

It dropped from $94.99 but I still think it is cheaper to get from Amazon UK (but that doesn't come with Dr. Strangelove & Spartacus)

- edit $37.89 (£23.91) shipped for the set from Amazon UK
$14.99 for Dr. Strangelove from Amazon US
Spartacus (which you really should skip because the transfer is rear end) - $14.99 from Amazon US

$52.88 (minus Spartacus)
$67.89 (plus Spartacus)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 16, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

caiman posted:

It's usually $95.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Stanley-Kubrick-Collection-Spartacus-Strangelove/product/B004O724NG

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've already bought 2001, ACO, Shining and FMJ twice each on DVD (gotta love double dips) and EWS and Strangelove once. Plus I already own 2001 on Blu-ray and have bought->sold it on HD-DVD. But I'm nonetheless tempted by this deal. I've never owned Lolita, Spartacus or Barry Lyndon on any format, plus I can't wait to see how they all look in HD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8381

This could be bad news. Gaiam seems to specialize in distributing yoga, public domain, and Hallmark channel crap. They're putting out Blu-Rays with 6 hours of John Wayne movies in 480i. Vivendi distributes Classic Media, Shout! Factory, RHI, and Eagle Rock.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

caiman posted:

I've already bought 2001, ACO, Shining and FMJ twice each on DVD (gotta love double dips) and EWS and Strangelove once. Plus I already own 2001 on Blu-ray and have bought->sold it on HD-DVD. But I'm nonetheless tempted by this deal. I've never owned Lolita, Spartacus or Barry Lyndon on any format, plus I can't wait to see how they all look in HD.

You may want to do the UK thing I posted earlier.

Barry Lyndon and Lolita look amazing but Spartacus looks like complete rear end since Universal is still using an old transfer of the movie that's over a decade old.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That's a good recommendation, Sporadic. I might have to go the UK + Strangelove sans Spartacus route.

Any word on a better release of Spartacus in the future?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

caiman posted:

That's a good recommendation, Sporadic. I might have to go the UK + Strangelove sans Spartacus route.

Any word on a better release of Spartacus in the future?

It's rumored that Criterion is going to re-release it eventually since they seem to have a working deal with Universal (they've already done a double dip on Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas and Traffic)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
From Coupons

:siren:

zenintrude posted:

Battle Royale 4-disc Set: $17.99

Use "SHAMROCK" for free shipping

Just ordered mine :)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

From Coupons

Just ordered mine :)

This one's region locked right?

I've heard bad things about the UK release's PQ.

• Locked thread