Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
On the CoC mention, I am pretty psyched that Greg Stolze is on board for the new, standalone Delta Green game. I find the design team as a whole pretty impressive but - with the release of some information on what the styles of play are to be - the concept of what could essentially be a 'street level' DG game with Greg Stolze contributing is something I'm really looking forward to.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
How would you do a "street level" DG game when by definition any member of DG is at least in the military or works in a government office? That's like "street-level" Conspiracy X.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Pope Guilty posted:

How would you do a "street level" DG game when by definition any member of DG is at least in the military or works in a government office? That's like "street-level" Conspiracy X.

Have the players get their orders from a DG member while being kept in the dark about what they're doing and who they are working for.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Shane Ivey shared some information here:

Shane Ivey posted:

Our goal is to present several possible campaign frameworks for modern-day games, each with its own distinct themes of play and its own particular flavor of deadly paranoia.

(1) They're a cell of agents and friendlies of the classic, old-school Delta Green conspiracy, getting instructions from a mysterious A-Cell. They occasionally can get help, particularly in terms of temporary reassignment, cover stories for their sudden disappearances from work, and smoothing out international travel for operations that require contacts overseas; but they are responsible for cleaning up their own messes and for keeping their actions secret from everybody except A-Cell. They're f****d because their only source of support has no authority and and will cut them off ruthlessly if they screw up, suffer from a case of compassion at the wrong moment, or do just about any of the things that might make it easier for them to cope. Security is tighter than ever. A-Cell these days is nowhere near as easygoing and friendly as when Uncle Joe Camp was Alphonse.

(2) They're former DG agents and friendlies who were left out in the cold during a massive shake-up around or shortly before 9/11 but have continued investigating paranormal threats on their own. They're f****d because they have no support whatsoever and must regard other former or current elements of Delta Green as an even worse threat than Mythos cultists, to be avoided at all costs.

(3) They're part of an agency in the MAJESTIC diaspora, formed during a massive shake-up around 9/11 and staffed initially with Delta Green agents who were brought in from the old conspiracy. They are tasked with investigating, containing, and facilitating the study of paranormal threats. They get a lot of support in covering their tracks and backing up their spurious claims to be with the EPA or whatever, and they can pretty easily have things blown up if they want. But they're f****d most of all, because they must face the repercussions of people higher in the food chain taking what they've secured, trying to study it and monetize it and weaponize it, and in the process creating even more dangerous threats than ever. And good luck trying to do anything about it. Their every action and contact is documented, cross-referenced and flagged for possible security violations unless they take extraordinary steps to avoid it -- and taking those steps is extraordinarily dangerous.

I think a common fear when we talk about that third option is that the player characters will become wise-cracking Men in Black of the Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones variety. But this isn't the world of Men in Black, or even the Laundry. In Delta Green, the supernatural is by definition inimical to human life and sanity as we know it. A handful of men and women have found ways to use alien powers while keeping their humanity, for a while -- Agent Alphonse, Agent Matthew, Agent Nancy -- but that only means they deteriorate more slowly than most (or, if you prefer, they evolve more slowly than most into an awareness of the universe that is deeper and more meaningful than that held by the mass of humanity in their contemptible and sheepish ignorance).

If you start using supernatural tools and techniques in this world, it doesn't matter how smart you are. It doesn't matter whether your intentions are honest. Your processes and protocols don't help. An agency that thinks it has developed and mastered safe tools using alien technology is an agency that's probably beyond hope. That's what A-Cell knows and fights, and the ambitious researchers and entrepreneurs in the MAJESTIC diaspora refuse to believe. That's where the new "legitimate" version of DG has to live.

That campaign is not about the player characters carrying MIB badges and blowing up aliens with lightning guns. It's about the player characters dealing with the suspicion that their work is speeding humanity toward extinction or toward mutation into something terrible.

I see definite potential in #2 for a game of people brought into the work of Delta Green who are markedly unfamiliar with it (commencing from an initial exposure in-game, even), and who are working with or for people who might only have been recruited by independent ex-agents of the original Delta Green themselves. I think that could make for a pretty interesting game.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 15, 2012

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Fittingly for the day, Greg weighs in:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Maybe this belongs more in the gaming business thread, but really, his success with ransoms and selling physical copies of stuff he releases digitally for free is yet another argument for the modern ease of copyright violation being a business model problem rather than an enforcement problem.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
My friends and I are getting ready to start a wild talents game and we came upon something of a dilemma. What's to stop someone from taking 2 or 3 hard dice in each stat, pretty much guaranteeing success most rolls outside of combat, the basic perception checks, lockpicking, and anything else that can be done without a penalty? I'm not sure how to approach this.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Nothing's really stopping them other than point costs. The rulebook itself tells you specifically how to make a completely invulnerable character, and then tells you that this is totally fine, because a clever GM will find ways to mess with 'em anyways (like putting them in a black hole).

If you think it's gonna be a problem, try to have all the players make their characters, or at least the basic ideas, at the same time, so they can get a basic idea of what sort of characters to go for.

Edit: To clarify, if someone takes 3HD in each stat as their character's 'power', that's really not much worse than someone taking 5HD of teleport matter with boosters on mass and range. One character wants to be generally good at everything, and one character wants to be able to teleport bulldozers onto people. It's all fun! I mean, WT is hard not to break. It's all about breaking it in a fun way.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

You could always just make some example powers to show what else you could with the 96 points it would take to get 2 hard dice in all six stats.

Honestly, I see no reason to prevent it. I'd be just as tempted to give it to every super-hero character for free.

e: I hate the black hole example. I'd much rather mess with an invulnerable character by showing how they're unable to stop threats to other people.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

e: I hate the black hole example. I'd much rather mess with an invulnerable character by showing how they're unable to stop threats to other people.

The black hole example is more poignant for people who don't realize their motivations and allegiances can be used against 'em to drain willpower. So destroying Immortalman's prized crochet hooks is completely viable, but the knowledge that your guy can still be Removed From Play if they're careless is more concrete.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That's a very good point. Hate expunged!

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Capntastic posted:

The black hole example is more poignant for people who don't realize their motivations and allegiances can be used against 'em to drain willpower. So destroying Immortalman's prized crochet hooks is completely viable, but the knowledge that your guy can still be Removed From Play if they're careless is more concrete.

A very good point. I'm glad I can trust my players to not intentionally break the game. It seems like a really fun and fluid system.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

unzealous posted:

My friends and I are getting ready to start a wild talents game and we came upon something of a dilemma. What's to stop someone from taking 2 or 3 hard dice in each stat, pretty much guaranteeing success most rolls outside of combat, the basic perception checks, lockpicking, and anything else that can be done without a penalty? I'm not sure how to approach this.

Yeah, but they're still a person. They can't fly, have an innate ranged attack, resist mind control or magic, detect the invisible, breathe underwater, or survive in a vacuum for long to name a few examples. Enemies that can force them in those situations will whip them.

Superhero games are very much a game of Rock Papers Scissors. There's no one power set that beats all others at all times.

One other weakness for the 2 HD PC - he can't pull his punches well. If his body is over 5 total, he inflicts killing damage and it's going straight to the head and he can't convert those HD to normal dice - he uses all of them or none of them in an attack. I had a PC in my WT game inadvertently kill several bad guys due to his hyperstrength.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

clockworkjoe posted:

I had a PC in my WT game inadvertently kill several bad guys due to his hyperstrength.

And an air conditioning unit

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Just crack a window inst...no, wait!!!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So I've been reading over the core Reign book and Heluso and Milonda is an extremely cool setting, especially the ghosts, demons and magic. I get the seasons but one of the mechanics I'm not quite sure of is the seas being at 90 degrees to the land and extending infinitely up in the air. How do sailors even exist? How do you sail from one continent to the other? I get that gravity changes on the ocean so sure you can go on a boat, but what's the point? Surely you just sail straight up to the sky forever?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Doodmons posted:

So I've been reading over the core Reign book and Heluso and Milonda is an extremely cool setting, especially the ghosts, demons and magic. I get the seasons but one of the mechanics I'm not quite sure of is the seas being at 90 degrees to the land and extending infinitely up in the air. How do sailors even exist? How do you sail from one continent to the other? I get that gravity changes on the ocean so sure you can go on a boat, but what's the point? Surely you just sail straight up to the sky forever?

No, see, you sail across the ocean to the other continent! The ocean is a giant floating mass between the two continents. (I think. Or possibly it's just for fishing? The Ob-lob sailors are seen as weird.)

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Doodmons posted:

See the image at http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/ it really makes it clear. If you sail outward, yeah, there's nothing there forever (at least that we know of). You can sail between Heluso and Milonda, however.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Mors Rattus posted:

No, see, you sail across the ocean to the other continent! The ocean is a giant floating mass between the two continents. (I think. Or possibly it's just for fishing? The Ob-lob sailors are seen as weird.)

Yeah, the way I picture this, is given that you're always perpendicular to the ground, once you're near the ocean, forward will be this wall of ocean, but if you look "up", you'll see the opposite continent. Once you're sailing on the ocean, however, it's pretty much normal -- you see both continents on the horizons.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The usefulness of boats doesn't need extensive geographical grounding to be explained: as in actual history, naval shipping is way faster than caravans.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Stolzeists, I've started up a new REIGN GAME over at the PBP board, click on this link and make characters!: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465995

It has DEMONS.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

children overboard posted:

Stolzeists, I've started up a new REIGN GAME over at the PBP board, click on this link and make characters!: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465995

It has DEMONS.

It looks really cool, and you use the same XP modification I do!

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I'm reading through the REIGN Enchiridion in preparation for running a game in a few weeks, and there's one thing I can't find any explanation for. Why are some of the wound boxes on the character sheet greyed out?

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
By default you just have the black dots (so 4 head wounds, 5 limb wounds etc), but if you take an advantage like Leather Hard (+1 wound boxes in each area) or if you morph into a centaur you may need extra boxes.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
:) Unkown Armies sounds awesome fun... but I'm broke. Hey, I'm only 2 surveys away from earning a $25 giftcard from Amazon; and that will just barely cover the paperback plus shipping! :dance:
*Doublechecks to make sure the card is still up for graps*
:flashfap: *Bangs out answers to inane questions about a bad movie and how Monster.com can improve it's stock price.*
:haw: Alright, now to claim my pr... :what: it's gone.
Someone claimed the last giftcard in the time it to complete the surveys.
Oh hey, a $25 Barnes and Nobles card, maybe that will work....
"Total with shipping: $26.75" ::downsrim:

I blame you all.

On a content related note: SurveyMancer!
They fill out (mostly) online surveys, collecting points they can exchange on the site for things like gift-cards, bad magazine subscriptions, free coffee, cars, Linden B. Johnson's True Name, and dust of philosophers stone.
-----
There's a factory in China that doesn't make any sound. You can see workers and machinery pounding away, making something that even the workers don't know what, but it's all silent.
-----
Silent Hill: Homecomming's psychological profiling gimmick was weak and sucky...
...because the full version actualy cured the playtesters of their emotional hangups. Someone is keeping it suppressed and ordered the crappy gimmick to be built and slapped on in it's place, but rumors of the earlier build being on a few development disks persist.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 16, 2012

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Price is Right is a valuable treasure for the Surveymancer. You begin as a mere respondant, then you move up to collector. Then, you start to make the surveys yourself.

The Survey says....!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Gerund posted:

The Price is Right is a valuable treasure for the Surveymancer. You begin as a mere respondant, then you move up to collector. Then, you start to make the surveys yourself.

The Survey says....!

You mean Family Feud.

You know those random phone surveys that say you can win a trip to the Bahamas? Bogus, of course. They don't take you to the Bahamas, but they do take you to "Paradise"

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
I'm looking to host a Wild Talent's campaign over IRC. I've already got two people who want to play, but I'd like to maybe get one or two more. So if you're interested, I've got PMs or you can get on SynIRC and go to #longislandflu, which is the room I created for the game. I'm usually around, so I'll probably be there to answer your questions.

Here's the elevator pitch for the game I have planned:

A mysterious virus has managed to kill nearly half of Long Island's population and the government has quarantined the island from the rest of the nation. But something strange has happened to a small percentage; they've developed strange and fantastic powers. The players are one of the lucky few to have developed such powers and they are left to become heroes, villains, or something in between.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Icecream Jones posted:

developed strange and fantastic powers.

What sort of points level? I'm almost tempted.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
250 points to start out with, everyone gets a free dice in every stat, with a wiggle die in your native language (much like Reign).

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Oh, have you Wild Talents players ever wanted to know the breakdown for what you can get when you roll a certain number of dice? I came up with a program to calculate the probabilities of of rolling certain numbers and types of sets.

This isn't a simulation. The program actually goes over every die combination. It only shows the width of each set because all the heights are interchangable. () is no sets rolled, for instance, and (2, 2) is two different sets of two rolled.

code:
Rolling 2d:
By sets:
(): 90%
(2): 10%

By maximum width:
0: 90%
2: 10%

By sum of widths:
0: 90%
2: 10%

Rolling 3d:
By sets:
(): 72%
(2): 27%
(3): 1%

By maximum width:
0: 72%
2: 27%
3: 1%

By sum of widths:
0: 72%
2: 27%
3: 1%

Rolling 4d:
By sets:
(): 50.4%
(2): 43.2%
(3): 3.6%
(2, 2): 2.7%
(4): 0.1%

By maximum width:
0: 50.4%
2: 45.9%
3: 3.6%
4: 0.1%

By sum of widths:
0: 50.4%
2: 43.2%
3: 3.6%
4: 2.8%

Rolling 5d:
By sets:
(): 30.24%
(2): 50.4%
(3): 7.2%
(2, 2): 10.8%
(4): 0.45%
(2, 3): 0.9%
(5): 0.01%

By maximum width:
0: 30.24%
2: 61.2%
3: 8.1%
4: 0.45%
5: 0.01%

By sum of widths:
0: 30.24%
2: 50.4%
3: 7.2%
4: 11.25%
5: 0.91%

Rolling 6d:
By sets:
(): 15.12%
(2): 45.36%
(3): 10.08%
(2, 2): 22.68%
(4): 1.08%
(2, 3): 4.32%
(5): 0.054%
(2, 2, 2): 1.08%
(2, 4): 0.135%
(3, 3): 0.09%
(6): 0.001%

By maximum width:
0: 15.12%
2: 69.12%
3: 14.49%
4: 1.215%
5: 0.054%
6: 0.001%

By sum of widths:
0: 15.12%
2: 45.36%
3: 10.08%
4: 23.76%
5: 4.374%
6: 1.306%

Rolling 7d:
By sets:
(): 6.048%
(2): 31.752%
(3): 10.584%
(2, 2): 31.752%
(4): 1.764%
(2, 3): 10.584%
(5): 0.1512%
(2, 2, 2): 5.292%
(2, 4): 0.756%
(3, 3): 0.504%
(6): 0.0063%
(2, 2, 3): 0.756%
(2, 5): 0.0189%
(3, 4): 0.0315%
(7): 0.0001%

By maximum width:
0: 6.048%
2: 68.796%
3: 22.428%
4: 2.5515%
5: 0.1701%
6: 0.0063%
7: 0.0001%

By sum of widths:
0: 6.048%
2: 31.752%
3: 10.584%
4: 33.516%
5: 10.7352%
6: 6.5583%
7: 0.8065%

Rolling 8d:
By sets:
(): 1.8144%
(2): 16.9344%
(3): 8.4672%
(2, 2): 31.752%
(4): 2.1168%
(2, 3): 16.9344%
(5): 0.28224%
(2, 2, 2): 12.7008%
(2, 4): 2.1168%
(3, 3): 1.4112%
(6): 0.02016%
(2, 2, 3): 4.2336%
(2, 5): 0.12096%
(3, 4): 0.2016%
(7): 0.00072%
(2, 2, 2, 2): 0.5292%
(2, 2, 4): 0.1512%
(2, 3, 3): 0.2016%
(2, 6): 0.00252%
(3, 5): 0.00504%
(4, 4): 0.00315%
(8): 1e-05%

By maximum width:
0: 1.8144%
2: 61.9164%
3: 31.248%
4: 4.58955%
5: 0.40824%
6: 0.02268%
7: 0.00072%
8: 1e-05%

By sum of widths:
0: 1.8144%
2: 16.9344%
3: 8.4672%
4: 33.8688%
5: 17.2166%
6: 16.249%
7: 4.55688%
8: 0.89272%

Rolling 9d:
By sets:
(): 0.36288%
(2): 6.53184%
(3): 5.08032%
(2, 2): 22.8614%
(4): 1.90512%
(2, 3): 19.0512%
(5): 0.381024%
(2, 2, 2): 19.0512%
(2, 4): 3.81024%
(3, 3): 2.54016%
(6): 0.042336%
(2, 2, 3): 11.4307%
(2, 5): 0.381024%
(3, 4): 0.63504%
(7): 0.002592%
(2, 2, 2, 2): 2.85768%
(2, 2, 4): 0.95256%
(2, 3, 3): 1.27008%
(2, 6): 0.018144%
(3, 5): 0.036288%
(4, 4): 0.02268%
(8): 8.1e-05%
(2, 2, 2, 3): 0.63504%
(2, 2, 5): 0.027216%
(2, 3, 4): 0.09072%
(2, 7): 0.000324%
(3, 3, 3): 0.02016%
(3, 6): 0.000756%
(4, 5): 0.001134%
(9): 1e-06%

By maximum width:
0: 0.36288%
2: 51.3022%
3: 40.0277%
4: 7.41636%
5: 0.826686%
6: 0.061236%
7: 0.002916%
8: 8.1e-05%
9: 1e-06%

By sum of widths:
0: 0.36288%
2: 6.53184%
3: 5.08032%
4: 24.7666%
5: 19.4322%
6: 25.4439%
7: 12.4494%
8: 5.15751%
9: 0.775351%

Rolling 10d:
By sets:
(): 0.036288%
(2): 1.63296%
(3): 2.17728%
(2, 2): 11.4307%
(4): 1.27008%
(2, 3): 15.241%
(5): 0.381024%
(2, 2, 2): 19.0512%
(2, 4): 4.7628%
(3, 3): 3.1752%
(6): 0.063504%
(2, 2, 3): 19.0512%
(2, 5): 0.762048%
(3, 4): 1.27008%
(7): 0.006048%
(2, 2, 2, 2): 7.1442%
(2, 2, 4): 2.85768%
(2, 3, 3): 3.81024%
(2, 6): 0.063504%
(3, 5): 0.127008%
(4, 4): 0.07938%
(8): 0.000324%
(2, 2, 2, 3): 3.81024%
(2, 2, 5): 0.190512%
(2, 3, 4): 0.63504%
(2, 7): 0.002592%
(3, 3, 3): 0.14112%
(3, 6): 0.006048%
(4, 5): 0.009072%
(9): 9e-06%
(2, 2, 2, 2, 2): 0.285768%
(2, 2, 2, 4): 0.15876%
(2, 2, 3, 3): 0.31752%
(2, 2, 6): 0.004536%
(2, 3, 5): 0.018144%
(2, 4, 4): 0.01134%
(2, 8): 4.05e-05%
(3, 3, 4): 0.01512%
(3, 7): 0.000108%
(4, 6): 0.000189%
(5, 5): 0.0001134%
(10): 1e-07%

By maximum width:
0: 0.036288%
2: 39.5448%
3: 47.7238%
4: 11.0603%
5: 1.48792%
6: 0.137781%
7: 0.008748%
8: 0.0003645%
9: 9e-06%
10: 1e-07%

By sum of widths:
0: 0.036288%
2: 1.63296%
3: 2.17728%
4: 12.7008%
5: 15.622%
6: 27.0527%
7: 21.0894%
8: 14.0823%
9: 4.79463%
10: 0.811639%
EDIT: Added the maximum width and total sum of widths for each die roll.
Perhaps I should see what happens when I add hard and wiggle dice.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 16, 2012

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I just interviewed Mr. Stolze in the new episode of RPPR http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2012/03/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-71-youve-got-wild-talents/

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin
Jul 19, 2000

Oven Wrangler
Thread necromancy ahoy. I have an embarrassingly basic question and hope some people can help me out with this.

I'm looking to run a quick game of UA but have very little experience with tabletop gaming - limited to a single campaign of homebrew retro D&D. The combat rules in UA seem straightforward enough, except for one thing: rules for positioning and movement. I'm used to having a battle mat and miniatures to represent each party member and opponent, and a designated number of spaces each character can move per round, etc. With UA I'm not really clear on what's going on. Do you use anything like that as a visual aid or just rely on verbal descriptions of what's going on in the battle?

For example, let's say a cultist pulls a gun on you while you're standing a couple of meters away, and you want to run up to him and disarm him. Do you count running up to him as a noncombat action, which would take 2 rounds? Or is closing the gap included in the single combat action of attempting to disarm him? Does it depend on the character's Speed or other relevant skills?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Yeah, UA is very much not set up for maps-and-miniatures style play. You're very much meant to describe the combat in terms of the dynamics between the participants rather than precise distances. UA rounds are like 3 seconds, right? So I'd say that a PC can easily cross a couple of metres and then do something as their action that round, or dedicate their action to sprinting to, iunno, add the tens digit of their Speed stat to the metres they can cross. Generally, I'd only make distance a factor when it's a factor in the situation; if someone's sniping at you and you want to close on them, if you're hopping between pieces of cover 20m apart, that sort of thing.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I recall someone earlier in the thread describing UA as a Coen Brothers movie where everyone is in contact with magic.

Now I am thinking of "True Grit" with obsessive wizards and other weirdness.

I must make this reality.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

InfiniteJesters posted:

I recall someone earlier in the thread describing UA as a Coen Brothers movie where everyone is in contact with magic.

Now I am thinking of "True Grit" with obsessive wizards and other weirdness.

I must make this reality.

My friend ran a Dark Tower game using UA, so it's doable. Town drunk is a dipso, gambler is an Entropomancer, slick merchant is a Merchant, etc. I'd play it.

We're discussing Feng Shui in FATAL & Friends, and we've reached Stolze's contributions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421366&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=226

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
So I've been rewatching Ghost in the Shell and flipping through Wild Talents and I'm starting to think the two might go well together. Treat prosthetic bodies as having stats as being able to have stats above human norms (or maybe as Hyperstats?), user Miracles and Hyperskills to represent cybernetic advantages (e.g. cyberbrain hacking is just reskinned telepathy/puppeteering) and etc. How far off base might I be?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

ThreeStep posted:

So I've been rewatching Ghost in the Shell and flipping through Wild Talents and I'm starting to think the two might go well together. Treat prosthetic bodies as having stats as being able to have stats above human norms (or maybe as Hyperstats?), user Miracles and Hyperskills to represent cybernetic advantages (e.g. cyberbrain hacking is just reskinned telepathy/puppeteering) and etc. How far off base might I be?

That's pretty much what I'd do. Just use archetypes and stuff so people can 'buy' prosthetic bodies to unlock those abilities or whatever. Of course, Eclipse Phase might do some of the body switching type mechanics a lot better, but with some tweaking you can get WT to handle that pretty good.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ThreeStep posted:

No.

No.

Eclipse Phase for this. Always Eclipse Phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I feel like Eclipse Phase sort of falls short if you want to pull off some seriously ridiculous powers like controlling every stoplight in the city or puppeteering people at will. EP sort of has those abilities with whatever its "magic" plot device was, but you were still limited to specific sets of spells. WT would let you be far more flexible about coming up with some oddball poo poo, I think.