Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I was looking at them too, they seemed more reputable to me but twice as expensive.
Oh well, I guess it's worth it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah they are quite expensive sadly, but the chance that other places could be selling fake stuff is too great. I'd rather pay extra and be happy. If you're in Melbourne you can go down to their store and pick it up.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Since flashcarts still only run things in DS mode on 3DSes, I imagine eventually that will change. When they do get 3DS mode, is it going to be a software upgrade or will it likely require another new flash cart specifically for the 3DS?

I just traded in my DS Lite and got a 3DS the other day. I haven't been using mine in quite some time, so I'm not in a rush to buy an Acekard or something, especially if I'd have to get another flashcart in a year or whatever to run things in 3DS mode when that time comes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It is very likely that they would need brand new flashcart designs in order to be able to run things in 3DS mode.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Dr. Dos posted:

Since flashcarts still only run things in DS mode on 3DSes, I imagine eventually that will change. When they do get 3DS mode, is it going to be a software upgrade or will it likely require another new flash cart specifically for the 3DS?

I just traded in my DS Lite and got a 3DS the other day. I haven't been using mine in quite some time, so I'm not in a rush to buy an Acekard or something, especially if I'd have to get another flashcart in a year or whatever to run things in 3DS mode when that time comes.

It most definitely will require new flashcarts.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. Dos posted:

Honestly, if you still care about DS games/homebrew stuff, you should probably just get a DS mode card. 3DS mode flashcarts are not an inevitability, and there's no indication they're coming any time soon (don't point to the Crown, that doesn't count).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For all we know, 3DS homebrew could arise as a result of a system-level exploit and not even need a flash card.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

For all we know, 3DS homebrew could arise as a result of a system-level exploit and not even need a flash card.

Given that the 3DS (am I the only one who still makes the mistake of calling the 3DS a DS?) has more in common with the PSP in terms of features than the DS, i think that's the more likely root. Wii Homebrew is through the SD card and system level exploits, for example.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I hope not, though. I really like having a flashcart and not needing to mod my DS in any way to make it run. If I want to play it normally, I just take the card out. The 3DS has so many online capabilities I really don't want to be crippling it by replacing the BIOS or potentially bricking it and all the other problems people have with softmods.

The only real complaint about flashcarts is they cost money, but they're still incredibly cheap. I'd much rather pay $20 for a solution that leaves my 3DS alone than potentially gently caress it up for free.

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 4, 2012

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is the GBA emulator on the DSTwo (on a DSi) any good or is it still better to get a Lite and the 3-in-1?

Also what about the SNES emulator? Sorry I haven't messed around with this stuff in years and had the urge to pick up a DS again now they're dirt cheap and tinker with it.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 13, 2012

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Milkman posted:

Is the GBA emulator on the DSTwo (on a DSi) any good or is it still better to get a Lite and the 3-in-1?

Also what about the SNES emulator? Sorry I haven't messed around with this stuff in years and had the urge to pick up a DS again now they're dirt cheap and tinker with it.

It seems pretty good to me! I haven't found it any worse/better than my DS Lite with a 3-in-1 cart.

The SNES emulator is also quite good, but I haven't tried games that push it too hard. One caveat is that the SNES screen does NOT fully fit onto a 3DS (and presumably DS Lite) screen, so you have to choose from one of four different setups which cut things off a bit, or smoosh them. The option screen itself is very helpful in showing how this works. Overall, I'm quite impressed with the software on the DSTwo.

However, if it's cheaper for you to get the DS Lite and 3-in-1, and you don't care too much about SNES games, you might want to go that route.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Milkman posted:

The DSTWO GBA emulator will still skip frames and not always have accurate sound, while putting in a 3-in-1 will mean perfect play outside of the lack of game link port.

There have never and will never be a really decent SNES emulator for the DS, primarily because the screen is so low res, and neither the console nor flashcarts with their own cpus (like dstwo) are really powerful enough for smooth emulation.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It's a little hit and miss which snes games can be emulated, too. Donkey Kong Country 3 is one that stands out as completely unplayable for some reason.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah I remember how low the DS resolution is (and GBA's.. couldn't even fit native NES games on it). SNES stuff would just be a bonus, I was just curious as to how good the GBA emulator Supercard cooked up specifically for their card was. I wasn't sure if the tradeoff for DSi's slightly better hardware (is there much that takes advantage of it?) for native GBA support is worth it. If it's like 95% there and did savestates and whatnot that might do it for me

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Milkman posted:

Yeah I remember how low the DS resolution is (and GBA's.. couldn't even fit native NES games on it). SNES stuff would just be a bonus, I was just curious as to how good the GBA emulator Supercard cooked up specifically for their card was. I wasn't sure if the tradeoff for DSi's slightly better hardware (is there much that takes advantage of it?) for native GBA support is worth it. If it's like 95% there and did savestates and whatnot that might do it for me

You can't fit even the native NES's resolution on a DS. You lose some vertical lines. The 3DS's resolution is still insanely low, but at least it can support NES and SNES games.

EggMasta
Jun 21, 2007

Halfway through I felt an incredibly sharp pain and a rush of something coming out of me. I heard a trickle of something below me...
Nub here. Thinking of buying a DS and a flash cart. If you run a .nds file through a cart can you still play wirelessly games like mario kart and pokemon?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

EggMasta posted:

Nub here. Thinking of buying a DS and a flash cart. If you run a .nds file through a cart can you still play wirelessly games like mario kart and pokemon?

Yes. Everything works as it should.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I have a DSLite and a Supercard DSTwo and I'm trying to figure out how to get nds_backup to work so that I can back up my save files from my current DS cartridges. I'll be glad to dump all of my info if anyone's willing to help, but I won't bother laying it all out unless anyone actually cares enough to offer any advice.

Thanks!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Went ahead and ordered a DSTwo from RealHotStuff's Hong Kong site, since that'll work no matter what kind of DS I pick up. It was $5 cheaper and had cheaper shipping (free actually, but I added tracking and insurance) It's cute they email you a picture of the package along with the tracking number, like "See there we really did have a package with your address on it! Please don't freak out when it takes 2 weeks to get there!"

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
The DSTWO GBA emulator works well with the games where it works, but it doesn't work at all with a number of games. The biggest culprits would be GBA Kingdom Hearts, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, and Pokemon Pinball, where the game crashes, but it works ok with most GBA games.

I really like the 3-in-1 with my DSLite but the DSi and XL have much nicer screens which makes DS games much more enjoyable. The DSTwo has other features, though, like being able to play unpatched versions of DS games.

edit: also real-time pause/save states have changed the way I play games and are awesome.

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 16, 2012

EggMasta
Jun 21, 2007

Halfway through I felt an incredibly sharp pain and a rush of something coming out of me. I heard a trickle of something below me...
Is it possible to play .3ds backups like you can .nds backups with a flash cart like dstwo?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

EggMasta posted:

Is it possible to play .3ds backups like you can .nds backups with a flash cart like dstwo?

No.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My cyclo is having issues all of a sudden. I went to start a rom and an error code popped up that I didn't catch (something about a filesystem error or something maybe), and now my files are 'gone'. I put gone in quotes because my computer still reads the SD card as having like 6 gigs of data on it, but I can't see any of the files on either the computer or the DS. It acts like a brand new install of the card.

Any idea what happened and how to fix it (or at least get a few of my saves back, I had backups of most of my stuff)? I ran the firmware update file but it didn't do anything as far as I can tell.

Googling so far as been of no help, I can't find anyone posting issues remotely like mine. I'm sure it would help if I had the error code, but I passed it too quickly to note it down.

The SD card is an 8gig Sandisk microSDHC. I've had errors with it before but nothing this serious.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Nighthand posted:

The SD card is an 8gig Sandisk microSDHC. I've had errors with it before but nothing this serious.

A Google search turned up this guide to checking SD cards for errors on Windows, which you might want to try. If you put the firmware update file on that card it might already be too late to rescue the file system though, if there was any hope at all...

When you get first encounter errors with storage media it's time to backup and replace, because that's usually a premonition of death.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Thanks for the link. It didn't find anything, unfortunately, so I guess the card finally bit it. Pretty annoying. I don't even think I made significant progress in any game since I last did a backup, except for Puzzler World, but drat I was close to finishing that.

Guess I ought to add a new SD card to my eventual shopping list.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I've had several good quality microSD cards die in my CycloDS. Anything from 2gb Sandisks to 8gb Samsung class 10s. Sometimes the cards are still readable in windows, sometimes not. Each time one dies it usually responds differently in a PC.

Also, though I've succesfully reformatted and re-used them, if you have one thats getting glitchy its not worth using it in the DS unless you backup your saves daily or something.

I'd honestly consider getting a new one (considering how cheap they are nowadays) and use the old one as a regular memory card for something else.

Its strange how out of all the flashcards I've used over the years, only CycloDSs have killed my SD cards. Yet I'd consider the cyclo to have the highest quality overall out of any of them!

Also I think theres a panasonic microSD card checker/formatter iirc? Its supposdedly quite good.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

That's true, I'll probably get that formatter and keep using the card on a limited basis.

Is there any third party group taking over the Cyclo's development, like Wood did for the R4? It's officially been a year since Team Cyclops released new firmware. I don't have high hopes since everything's moved over to 3DS work.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
I've read through some things and, having never owned a handheld console before, am slightly confused. Can you let me know if I have this straight?

I'm looking for a handheld to play mostly DS games, maybe some GBA, SNES and NES games. 3DS games would be a bonus, but not a requirement. I hadn't thought about old DOS games, but that might be nice.

I was looking at a DSLite + DSTwo card. This seems like it would handle what I'm looking for, and I could add the EZFlash 3in1 via GBAExploader if GBA stuff is not up to snuff.

On the other hand, 3DS's have come down in price so much that there is only a $50-60 difference between that and the DSLite, plus some stores bundle an extra game for the price. I've read that you can press some key combo on startup to get older games (ie DS) to run in postage stamp view, if needed, so the image is not distorted.

However, it looks like 3DS's autoupdate within range of Wifi, with no way to shut it off. Since I don't have an older DSx already to deal with firmware updates, and none of my friends have one, this seems like it is potentially a disaster waiting to happen.

SuperCard's FAQ is a little confusing. This part makes it sound like all you need is a microSD card reader on your PC and power to the 3DS:

quote:

Q:How does it work with DSTWO when there is no firmware updater?
A:DSTWO only need the power supply from the console when it update. DSTWO has a CPU inside, it can read the firmware from the microSD and update the DSTWO firmware.

But other things I've read, even on their site, make it sound like using an older DSx is the only reliable way to update the DSTwo firmware when there is a mismatch.

So, does anyone know if you can update the DSTwo on the 3DS when there is mismatch firmware? Or am I better off sticking with DSLite + DSTwo for a wider range of emulation and gameplay, plus less potential headache? :eng99:

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Your first choice here is if you want to play 3Ds games or if you'd rather have the DS catalogue on a nicer screen. The XL is by far the best way of playing anything DS (including GBA/homebrew/etc) and I wouldn't part with mine. That said if I had to decide between the two I'd get a 3Ds because the price difference is negligable (in the UK XL's and some DSi's are more expensive even).

The XL has been known however to have backlighting issues, bright spots to be specific. Mines has 2, but they're only noticable on loading screen where theres a solid dark colour and no motion.

If its a toss-up between a Lite and a 3Ds I'd go for the 3Ds if you can.

Now for DStwo info.
The DStwo will work on a 3Ds (I think its firmware is updated) BUT you can get blocked from using your flashcard when they update firmware. If this happens you have to borrow someones DS to update. Even a 3Ds that hasn't updated its firmware can be used to upgrade the flashcard firmware. Basicly anything that still recognises the card can be used to update it. Takes a couple of minutes. But you DO need a console to update it.

I thought there was a way to block updates, but I can't find it in my 3Ds settings. So in that case without an older DS for patching you'd run the risk of not being able to read your cart till you can update it on another DS.

So no, you cannot update the DSTwo if your 3Ds got a firmware update that blocked your flashcard. Also worth noting, the DSTwo can emulate GBA pretty well.

Hope this was some help :)

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005

Captain Hair posted:

I thought there was a way to block updates, but I can't find it in my 3Ds settings. So in that case without an older DS for patching you'd run the risk of not being able to read your cart till you can update it on another DS.

So no, you cannot update the DSTwo if your 3Ds got a firmware update that blocked your flashcard. Also worth noting, the DSTwo can emulate GBA pretty well.

Hope this was some help :)

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like I'd be best going with a DSLite, as much as I'd like the better screen of the 3DS (which is the same price, or cheaper by $10 than the XL). I don't know a single person with a working DS--most my friends either have settop consoles (360 etc) or use their smartphones for portable games. I just don't want to run the risk of getting an autoupdate and being screwed. (Who knows, maybe I'll love it so much and pick up a 3DS later on--then I'll have my own DSx to supply).

Some additional things I wondered about :

--Has anyone run into bad ROMs? I read earlier that there was an instance of a newer one bricking consoles, but that sounds like it wasn't the instance with older stuff.

--Anyone know of a good (reliable) online source for cheap used DS games? [edit: the Gamestops around here have limited selection, and eBay/Amazon are both full of the "RARE! $120!" stuff.]

The Real Hot Stuff site looks iffy, and they have a notice about a site hack. However, it seems others here have used them without problem. If someone has more recent experience with them, I'd be happy to hear it.

/Add: Looks like the wireless can be switched off on a 3DS. Is there any hinky backdoor thing where they push system updates even when you have wireless off? I don't care about using wireless.

OrganicAnkleSocks fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 7, 2012

RedHasSandles
Mar 24, 2008

Woah dudes!
So I was remembering all the GBA classics I have and was thinking about buying a GBA micro to play them all on. But I rather rip all my games and stick them on a flash card so I have them all together and convenient. I was wondering if there was a GBA flash card that fits in the GBA micro without sticking out the end and supports holding multiple games at once?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

RedHasSandles posted:

So I was remembering all the GBA classics I have and was thinking about buying a GBA micro to play them all on. But I rather rip all my games and stick them on a flash card so I have them all together and convenient. I was wondering if there was a GBA flash card that fits in the GBA micro without sticking out the end and supports holding multiple games at once?

http://realhotstuff.com/ezflash-size-p-294.html

I use this in my Micro, works perfectly.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Can anyone remember the name (or have a link to) the remote desktop homebrew? I can only seem to find remote control ones, but this one I remember had the screen. Iirc it was a brutal method of printscreen>send-image at a few frames per second, but it worked.

I used to use it alot, but can no longer remember its name :(

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
I just received my Acekard 2i today. I updated it in my DS, and put it into my 3DS. Now it is stuck in my 3DS. I can push it down, but it doesn't even fully eject.

Edit: Ahahaha, the sticker on the drat thing went wild in the slot and it was creating a ton of friction.

Raften fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 16, 2012

Tanri Fen
Jan 9, 2007

by toby
Just got my M3i Zero.

I am %90 sure this is not supported by the latest DSi update, am I correct?

I nearly updated earlier then thought I best check online first before I gently caress up, couldn't really find any concrete answers.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone know where to get a 3Ds capable homebrew cart in the UK?

xpertron place shut down it seems and the dealers I can find all look suspect. His DSlite killed another 8gb card and took a cycloDS with it. So I'm just gonna keep it for updating and he can run his homebrew on the 3Ds.

EDIT: realhotstuff still sells them, anyone know if they still ship to the UK without problems?

EDIT2: If I'm in the UK and I buy a DStwo from a US site, will the region locking apply meaning I can't actually use it?

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 22, 2012

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hair posted:

Anyone know where to get a 3Ds capable homebrew cart in the UK?

xpertron place shut down it seems and the dealers I can find all look suspect. His DSlite killed another 8gb card and took a cycloDS with it. So I'm just gonna keep it for updating and he can run his homebrew on the 3Ds.

EDIT: realhotstuff still sells them, anyone know if they still ship to the UK without problems?

EDIT2: If I'm in the UK and I buy a DStwo from a US site, will the region locking apply meaning I can't actually use it?

Not from experience, but all of the flashcarts out there today are made to look like DS titles to the 3DS/DSi which should cancel out any issues since the DS was region free.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Bought a DSTwo from RealHotStuff a few months back, I'm in the UK and it arrived and worked fine, on a DSLite though.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Sweet, thanks very much :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I accidentally upgraded my 3DS to the latest version without thinking about the impact this would have on my flashcart. (Acekard 2i) Is there anyway to downgrade it, or am I stuck using my old DS Lite to get my homebrew fix until an update comes out?

Edit: Also, in the past, about how long has it taken for firmware updates to come out for the Acekard?

Edit again: Apparently, the new firmware works with the latest Acekard 2i update -- the one for DSi firmware 1.4.4. I'll try this out when I get my DS Lite back from my younger sister and will report back. (Hopefully tomorrow morning.)

Edit again again: The most recent Acekard 2i firmware update works with 3DS 4.0! The game icon is for Deep Labyrinth and has a picture of a sword.

nerdpony fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 25, 2012

• Locked thread