Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sir Nigel posted:

I'm going to be purchasing a Anery B (Charcoal) corn snake soon and I've cared for snakes in the past but this will be my first time owning my own and setting up a habitat on my own. I'm going to be using a 55 gal habitat and have just about everything I would need already but I have a question about lighting. I've seen a lot about the need for UVB but the anapsid site doesn't cover individual species need for UVB and so I've come to PI and this thread in specific for advice. I have the enclosure pretty much set up. An undertank heating pad coupled with a thermostat, in tank humidity guage and multiple thermometers and the tank is currently about 83/85 on the hot side and about 70/75 on the cool side. Multiple hides and some other stuff for the snake to climb on but I'm holding off getting the actual snake until I figure out the light situation. I have a dual bulb light bar and I currently just have a pair of F18T8 daylight bulbs that were I'm assuming for a salt water tank or live plant vivarium. I'm assuming they're the 18" variety based on the fact that the tank is 48" wide.

My question for PI is what type of UVB lights a 2, 5 or 10 would I need and am I right in assuming that I can keep the daylight bulb for the cool side and use the UVB bulb for the hot side? I'm assuming that I'll need some type of UVB lighting.

I don't use any bulbs on my corns except florescent tank lighting. Some folks feel better giving it, but they don't need it.

85 is digesting heat, 70 is fine. You sound like you've already got everything you need, man. Just don't be surprised if your corn is a giant lazy rear end in a top hat and doesn't really do a lot of climbing.

E: VVVV If you're feeding repashy, it is indeed optional. However, it's still a good thing for'em. I throw crickets in about once every two weeks.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Sigh. It happened.

Meet Ivy.

A presumed girl until puberty can attempt to prove otherwise, she is currently sitting in a nice quiet corner of my bedroom in a critter carrier that is approximately 10x7x7. Is this big enough for a baby gecko that is barely 3 inches sans tail? She seems quite small in there.

The wonderful woman I bought her from also gave a really well informed care sheet, except that she seems to believe that feeding insects is optional - thoughts? She does feed only Repashy Superfood though, and gave me enough for two weeks so I could order online :3:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Cute gecko, like the name. :)

And yes, feeding insects to cresties/gargoyles that are on the repashy diet is completely optional. Some still really like bugs, but others will just turn their heads to them. No big deal.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
That's a relief! My boyfriend is terrified of insects/spiders, and we just got rid of a small cockroach foray from the neighbors, so not having bugs in the house makes me quite happy :D

The woman I bought her from had an entire living room full of beautiful gecko set ups, and when she saw the gleam in my eye she definitely warned me that "geckos are addictive, stick with just this one."

... She says to the person with six fish tanks and a newt.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I'm not sure what makes geckos so addictive anyway? It must be that they're adorable and mostly easy to care for.

I also remember reading about Tokay geckos on wikipedia. It went something like this.

Me: Man, look at the spots on that thing! I wonder why you don't see them around very often, they're so pretty!
Wikipedia: They will bite you and not let go.
Me: drat it.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Celery Face posted:

I'm not sure what makes geckos so addictive anyway? It must be that they're adorable and mostly easy to care for.

I also remember reading about Tokay geckos on wikipedia. It went something like this.

Me: Man, look at the spots on that thing! I wonder why you don't see them around very often, they're so pretty!
Wikipedia: They will bite you and not let go.
Me: drat it.

Personally, I love tokays, but they're psychotic little shits and their bites can be surprisingly painful. I have very tough, callused hands, and one managed to wrench a bloody hunk out of my knuckle once.

Despite their lovely attitude, they're some very interesting and entertaining geckos, and a nice looking tokay is prettier than nearly any other gecko species in my opinion.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
If it weren't for the whole biting thing, I might actually get one.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Celery Face posted:

If it weren't for the whole biting thing, I might actually get one.

Well, to be honest with you, their bites hurt like hell, but won't do any real damage to you. I couldn't recommend a tokay to a novice in good conscience, but a novice could keep one if they were responsible and careful when dealing with it.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I really like to be able to easily handle a pet and I hate pain so Tokays aren't for me.

I know basic care for geckos but that's pretty much it.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Celery Face posted:

I really like to be able to easily handle a pet and I hate pain so Tokays aren't for me.

I know basic care for geckos but that's pretty much it.

Ahh... cresties, gargoyles, chahoua, leopards, fat-tails, and viper geckos are good choices.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
If you get CBB Tokays, they are skittish rather than aggressive. I can handle mine (though I don't often), the male more so than the female, and they are surprisingly tolerant of my presence. It seems they are defensive biters; they do it straight out of the egg. If you go slow, show them you bring food, and back off if they seem uncomfortable, you will be fine. You can totally win them over. The trick is to watch the toes and where they are looking. Always approach low from the back end and touch lightly when you are brave enough. I touch mine through the screen on the front of their enclosure and the male doesn't mind at all. I also make a point to get close and look at them when they are out to habituate them to me being nearby and not stressing them directly. They will watch you, if they turn their heads towards your hand and lift their toes, back off. In my experience and that of other Tokay enthusiasts I know, most CBB animals will opt to skitter away instead of attack like WC tend to do.

I love Tokays so freaking much; if you guys want them, please support someone who focuses on captive breeding them. They are a totally different animal than an emaciated, stressed, and parasite ridden WC specimen.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I have a soft spot for spotted reptiles/animals in general so that's probably why I find them interesting.

I'd rather get a corn snake since I've wanted one for quite a while and I kind of already have a gecko.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Pardalis posted:

If you get CBB Tokays, they are skittish rather than aggressive. I can handle mine (though I don't often), the male more so than the female, and they are surprisingly tolerant of my presence. It seems they are defensive biters; they do it straight out of the egg. If you go slow, show them you bring food, and back off if they seem uncomfortable, you will be fine. You can totally win them over. The trick is to watch the toes and where they are looking. Always approach low from the back end and touch lightly when you are brave enough. I touch mine through the screen on the front of their enclosure and the male doesn't mind at all. I also make a point to get close and look at them when they are out to habituate them to me being nearby and not stressing them directly. They will watch you, if they turn their heads towards your hand and lift their toes, back off. In my experience and that of other Tokay enthusiasts I know, most CBB animals will opt to skitter away instead of attack like WC tend to do.

I love Tokays so freaking much; if you guys want them, please support someone who focuses on captive breeding them. They are a totally different animal than an emaciated, stressed, and parasite ridden WC specimen.

Those are beautiful tokays. I've never kept CB tokays, that's interesting that CB ones are calmer.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Celery Face posted:

I have a soft spot for spotted reptiles/animals in general so that's probably why I find them interesting.

I'd rather get a corn snake since I've wanted one for quite a while and I kind of already have a gecko.

Corns are great animals. Hundreds of morphs to choose from, calm, hardy, just about the perfect snake.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I find it weird that I've only heard of New Caledonia because my sister bought a crested gecko.

New Caledonia is awesome for having great pets come from there, though.

Mainly the reason I want a Corn instead of a Ball is because I love orange, red, and the ridiculous amount of morphs to choose from.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 12, 2012

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Celery Face posted:

I find it weird that I've only heard of New Caledonia because my sister bought a crested gecko.

New Caledonia is awesome for having great pets come from there, though.

Mainly the reason I want a Corn instead of a Ball is because I love orange, red, and the ridiculous amount of morphs to choose from.

Personally, corns are way cooler than balls anyway.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
For what it is worth, some acquaintances who rescue tokays have tamed even horribly stressed WCs after some initial de-stressing time and rounds of Panacur. You really do just have to go slow with them. As per said acquaintance on the subject: "Once you can safely hold them for a brief bit and are comfortable with it, take them into a bathtub or shower and just sit for 5-15 minutes without stressing the gecko out. Let them explore you and move slowly and they learn to be comfortable with you."

One thing that I have noticed is that my tokays smell me a lot, especially my male. They do this by sticking out their tongue and tasting whatever they are sitting on. He has very purposefully licked my fingers multiple times, while sitting on me and through the screen front of their terrarium. One time, I remember being especially warm and uh... sweaty, and he was very interested in repeatedly scenting/licking my fingertip. I think it is really good to let them do this if you want them to recognize you.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

CB Tokay's can be tamed down very nicely. I spend a bit of time on the Pangea forums and there is a member there who breeds Tokay's and once post this amazing picture:

There was a thread recently by her that really showcases both the worst and the best of Tokay: http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?60694-*GRAPHIC*-Example-of-how-seriously-Tokays-take-parenting-*GRAPHIC*
It's a good read for anyone interested in tokay at all.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
At the last reptile show I went to, one breeder had a handful of absolutely gorgeous CBB tokay juvies. I am still regretting not picking one up, tokays are one of my personal favorite geckos that I've never had the pleasure of keeping.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Tokays are definitely the next step for me in the gecko obsession. My wish list goes like this, currently:

- R. Leachianus (Nuu ana)
- R. Leachianus (Yate or Grande Terre)
- R. chahoua
- G. Gecko
- E. Agricolae
- S. Ciliarius ciliarius
- Uroplatus sp.

When and if Pardalis' Tokay pair have babies, I'd like one of theirs since they're the Tokays that got me interested in the species. I had one as a kid that was a more classic example; she was WC and lunged out of her hiding spots to bite you if you were cleaning or feeding.

They really are amazing animals. The male Tokay isn't at all inclined to bite, but when they had their egg (they smashed it, next time we'll incubate for them) he was intensely protective of his female and it was the only time I've ever seen him gape at Pardalis.

He also periodically will get angry and call back to you if he's in mating mode and you spend enough time going 'Uh-OW uh-OW' at him.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've never so much as seen a CB tokay. :smith: I really like them and all, but I prefer stuff that can't take my knuckle off if it gets pissed off at me. For now, anyway.

Mostly because of the moving thing. Kind of like Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis (P. madagascariensis grandis? I'm not sure what the abbreviation is here). I would adore having a few of them, especially blues, but there's just no way I could provide for them or any phelsuma in the long term right now. So tokays, phelsumas, striped cal kings, albino banded florida kings, O. aestivus (or vernalis) and brooks are all kind of a dream thing. Y'know. Some day. :allears:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Big Centipede posted:

Ahh... cresties, gargoyles, chahoua, leopards, fat-tails, and viper geckos are good choices.

I am not sure I would put viper geckos on the list of most handleable herps just because of their size. The others are all good candidates. Even leachies cool down once you get them out of their cage, but be prepared to be nipped and hissed at till you get them out of their home.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

nesbit37 posted:

I am not sure I would put viper geckos on the list of most handleable herps just because of their size. The others are all good candidates. Even leachies cool down once you get them out of their cage, but be prepared to be nipped and hissed at till you get them out of their home.

That's a valid point regarding the vipers, but as long as you don't manhandle them they're not bad.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Repashy Crested Gecko Diet is pretty much what the vast majority of crested owners feed in the US and in some parts overseas. There's other mixtures out there too by different companies of course.

My girlfriend's the crested gecko enthusiast, and she swears by Repashy. We've got three thriving, happy cresteds that are mostly fed off that, and supplemented with gutloaded crickets.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Speaking of viper geckos, they seem incredibly hard to find. I haven't seen any specific breeders who have them, I just find that they pop up occasionally on the fauna classifieds. Anyone have any better luck?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I've never actually seen a Tokay or a Viper Gecko in the nearby pet stores. I just see Leopards, Cresties and Days.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Vipers are very hard to find right now. There just aren't many people breeding them, and when they do they seem to offer them for much higher prices than they used to be.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
I know there were a couple goons who bred cresties but I can't find the posts and don't remember names. I'm in the midst of modding a tank and will have it planted within the next few weeks. I'm taking my time purchasing the animals I want and trying out all my options.

If there are any goons breeding cresteds or have hatchlings/adults for sale feel free to PM me. I'm just trying to weigh out all my options and the prospect of buying from some one I sort of know and is a small time breeder makes me feel better than buying from these "famous breeders" with 5000 animals and selling off half their stock to chain pet stores.

EDIT: Right now I'm looking for geckos with nice structure, crowned/pinners etc. more than I am concerned with coloration. I do however have a soft spot for Dals.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 13, 2012

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Shachi posted:

I know there were a couple goons who bred cresties but I can't find the posts and don't remember names. I'm in the midst of modding a tank and will have it planted within the next few weeks. I'm taking my time purchasing the animals I want and trying out all my options.

If there are any goons breeding cresteds or have hatchlings/adults for sale feel free to PM me. I'm just trying to weigh out all my options and the prospect of buying from some one I sort of know and is a small time breeder makes me feel better than buying from these "famous breeders" with 5000 animals and selling off half their stock to chain pet stores.

EDIT: Right now I'm looking for geckos with nice structure, crowned/pinners etc. more than I am concerned with coloration. I do however have a soft spot for Dals.

I'm not breeding yet, but I know JBsCresties.com always has consistently awesome babies and is generally just awesome. She's also a goon! :) There are a ton of breeders on places like the Fauna and Kingsnake classifieds, but if you want to buy from a smaller breeder I recommend checking out the Pangea forums trade section.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hypnotoad posted:

I'm not breeding yet, but I know JBsCresties.com always has consistently awesome babies and is generally just awesome. She's also a goon! :) There are a ton of breeders on places like the Fauna and Kingsnake classifieds, but if you want to buy from a smaller breeder I recommend checking out the Pangea forums trade section.

I hope beyond hope that JB got something amazing for Wasabi. I would have likely considered selling organs for that lizard. It's just too bad I didn't have any geckos to trade, because drat, man. Gorgeous.

I also kinda hope she's not getting flak for taking a trade or something. There was some moron being pissed off on her facebook over it.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
My dad said I can't get a snake or a reptile in general because he hates reptiles, one is enough, I should ask for something more "girly" for my birthday and we aren't running a zoo.

Maybe he'll give up or my mom will convince him but it really sucks considering I've wanted one for 5 years.

Besides, if my sister can have her own personal reptile, why shouldn't I?

I think maybe the anoles made him hate reptiles.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 13, 2012

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Celery Face posted:

My dad said I can't get a snake or a reptile in general because he hates reptiles, one is enough, I should ask for something more "girly" for my birthday and we aren't running a zoo.

Maybe he'll give up or my mom will convince him but it really sucks considering I've wanted one for 5 years.

Besides, if my sister can have her own personal reptile, why shouldn't I?

I think maybe the anoles made him hate reptiles.

When I was a kid, decades ago, I wanted a bearded dragon for my birthday. We already had tortoises, and my dad hates snakes. So I figured a dragon would be easy to ask for.

But I knew how he worked. If I asked for a huge impossible thing, and then a small thing as an alternate, I'd get the small thing if this was for my birthday.

So I asked for sugar gliders, OR a bearded dragon.

Guess who ended up with a breeding pair of loving marsupials when they were barely on the market, and the few people that had them said to feed them fruit and baby food?

gently caress girly pets. I wanted a bearded dragon and got stuck with evil things who belonged in a drat zoo.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I think my dad is forgetting that lots of girls own reptiles. Not just guys.

I think I heard Sugar Gliders are illegal here in Canada.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 13, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Celery Face posted:

I think my dad is forgetting that lots of girls own reptiles. Not just guys.

I think I heard Sugar Gliders are illegal here in Canada.
Has your dad seen pictures of corn snakes? They're pretty girly.

Hell, you can even get them in pink! ;)

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I won't try to convince them right now. I don't feel like it since it's been a busy past few days and they'll just get pissed off.

He said something like "We have a cat, a dog and a lizard which itself is over the top. We aren't running a zoo here."

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 13, 2012

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

Celery Face posted:

He said something like "We have a cat, a dog and a lizard which itself is over the top. We aren't running a zoo here."

Not with that attitude. ;)

Parents too can be trained. The front is sternest when they are about to break. A baby crested gecko could break their spirit. A huffy baby hognose would melt their heart.

But you're wise to fall back, give it time, and strike another day.

Take them to a reptile show sometime. Just to browse. I've taken non-buying folks to shows who have enjoyed them more than zoos, getting a taste of the herpetoculture market, getting the hands-on feel of docile rat snakes, boas, kings, pythons, and so forth. It can change a person's perspective on the spot, seeing how benign these animals are.

The most cold-blooded thing about reptiles is humanity's general perception of them. But that tide is turning.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Is there any good sites or books specifically for crested geckos? I really love the look of them, but I have zero knowledge of what is meant by UVB lights and heat mats and everything else they need :ohdear:

Is there even any good/reputable breeders of cresteds in the UK? We don't have reptile shows or anything here afaik.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Crested geckos need very little in the way of dry goods which is so great about them. If you just want basic care guides I would stick to some internet sites, most breeders have a care sheet up on their site. If you want nice pictures and more info on the geckos and their natural habitat then there are two books I would recommend, though neither of them is cheap:

Rhacodactylus: Biology, Natural history and husbandry

Rhacodactylus Complete Guide to their selection and care

For sites I would recommend you check out the rhepashy forums and pangea forums as two good places for general care information. I know you have breeders in the UK because I see them pop up once in a while, but I couldn't name anyone specific. There are a good number of people who work with rhacodactylus in N. Europe and Germany.

This isn't exactly close to you, but if you have problems finding things in the UK and it is possible for you to do a little travel you could head to the Hamm show in germany. Its one of the biggest reptile shows in the world and one advantage to it is that a lot of US breeders will sell their animals online and then ship them the Hamm show for their European customers to pick up. I don't know all the specifics, but I think it just works out well for everyone when it comes to import regulations, tarrifs, etc.

http://www.terraristikahamm.de/

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Celery Face posted:

stuff

One thing to keep in mind is that snakes and many other reptiles (except anoles) can live a LONG time. If you're still living at home, they can become a problem if/when you move out or go to college. Many apartment complexes and most college dorms won't allow them, and keeping a pet you're not allowed to have can turn out disastrous for you and the animal.

From the sound of it, your family won't want to take care of a snake for you. So what will happen to it then?

I waited until halfway through college, when I already lived in an apartment that allowed pets, and it saved me a lot of the pet problems my friends had to deal with. I really recommend waiting at least that long, even if it sucks. I still have my ball python and tarantulas today, and they were totally worth the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
If I waited that long, it would be more than 3 years of waiting. Waiting for a snake sounds reasonable but that is going to be a long wait...

• Locked thread