Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Furthermore, how the hell could you see where you're going with that thing in front of you.
See where you're going? What for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

Man I forgot all about reincarnation, gotta bookmark that. That concept art looks rad and the other car they threw into their test environment engine thing looks equally rad.

Who owns Carmageddon I and II now? Any chance of it coming to GOG in the future?

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Stainless purchased the rights to Carmageddon so as far as I know, they should own the rights for 1 & 2. That I've gathered they have said they'd much rather leave it in the hands of gamers to mess about with those old games and get them going on modern systems and just focus on the new game. Would love to own them again on gog.com tho, that's for sure.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It's worth mentioning that isn't the final design of the new Eagle. They're also looking for inspiration from this:

Which incidentally is one of the first in-game shots!

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

Bats posted:

Stainless purchased the rights to Carmageddon so as far as I know, they should own the rights for 1 & 2. That I've gathered they have said they'd much rather leave it in the hands of gamers to mess about with those old games and get them going on modern systems and just focus on the new game. Would love to own them again on gog.com tho, that's for sure.

I don't know what the Red Baron pack being on GOG and Stainless releasing Red Baron Arcade mean as far as licenses go, but Carmageddon on GOG would be sweet. Instant purchase for me.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Hogburto posted:

:golfclap:

Summing up the Carmageddon spirit in six lovely words.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

^^^ The Red Baron Pack is listed as being published by Mad Otter Games, some game company made up of some old Dynamix staff who worked on the Red Baron games and I guess they managed to keep a hold on, or bought back, the rights to the original games. The Stainless developed lovely Red Baron game has nothing to do with the old one apart from the name and roughly similar theme, the only potential 'licenses' issues I can think of would have been over a trade mark for the Red Baron name in video games held by Sierra (they published both the old school games and the unrelated modern one), so in summary Stainless have nothing to do at all with the 'license' for the original Red Baron games.

Judging from how SCi were the publishers for the original two Carmageddon games and also that lovely TDR 2000 game that we must never speak of, I'm guessing they owned the rights to the old games and it seems they bought up Eidos and that whole thing got bought up by Square Enix. So if/when GOG get Square on board we might see Carmageddon 1 & 2 I guess.

Anyway, I came here to ask about Still Life 2, is it any good? I played the original and thought it was alright. The story was interesting and some of the murder crime scene stuff was pretty cool, but there was also a ton of goofy poo poo and dumb puzzles (like that baking one, wtf). Is 2 any good? I'm seeing quite a split in opinions on the GOG reviews section, obviously there's the FIVE STAR EVERYTHING brigade but there's also a few 1 stars and poo poo.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

andrew smash posted:

- That's an air scoop for a supercharger, not the cylinder block
- where is the door
-it's a pedestrian scoop; the engine runs on blood
-where we're going, you won't need doors

Hogburto posted:

:patriot:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Megadyptes posted:

So if/when GOG get Square on board

They already are

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

andrew smash posted:

- That's an air scoop for a supercharger, not the cylinder block
- where is the door

You're new to this, aren't you? You're only leaving that car in one of two ways: With the car in pieces or you in pieces.

Actually there's a third way too, but it involves skewering yourself on that thing in your windshield.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Furthermore, how the hell could you see where you're going with that thing in front of you.

Your biggest problem in Carmageddon shouldn't be running into trees. I mean, half the point is running over people and bisecting them with that thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Megadyptes posted:

Judging from how SCi were the publishers for the original two Carmageddon games and also that lovely TDR 2000 game that we must never speak of, I'm guessing they owned the rights to the old games and it seems they bought up Eidos and that whole thing got bought up by Square Enix. So if/when GOG get Square on board we might see Carmageddon 1 & 2 I guess.
I've posted this before, but...

Neil Barnden at Stainless posted:

We go round and round with the discussion on this one. We do own everything, so if we want to we can – we absolutely own the rights to all the previous code, even the stuff that’s Carmageddon-related that we didn’t work on ourselves. It’s all ours. But I think because it’s so easy to go online and find a copy of Carmageddon from a warez site or whatever, it doesn’t feel to us like there’d be an awful lot of point in just rereleasing the originals. We had talked about it, but on our website now we’ve got guys talking about how to get it running on Windows 7, various patches which make it look nicer and high-res, so rather than try and shut them down and go after the people distributing the game, we just thought we’ve got to embrace that and let ‘em have it. They can do with it what they want, because there’s been a really loyal, core modding community who’ve continued to put stuff out for the games. They’re still going.

So, our aim is to concentrate on the new one and let the guys discuss getting the best out of the old ones openly on the forums.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Alright, guess I missed that :downs:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Honestly, I think that's pretty cool of Stainless. Rather than try for an official re-launch, they just go 'Check our official forums. Fans have already got it working and upgraded, just torrent and go!'.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 6, 2012

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mordaedil posted:

Your biggest problem in Carmageddon shouldn't be running into trees. I mean, half the point is running over people and bisecting them with that thing.
It's running into those loving lamp posts...

...unless you have the granite car powerup. :killdozer:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood is now on GOG for $9.99.

Anyone else remember them signing Square Enix sometime ago? I'm sure they did at some stage...

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Blodskur posted:

Anyone else remember them signing Square Enix sometime ago? I'm sure they did at some stage...

I vaguely recall me and my friend playing this back in college and it being pretty fun.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Blodskur posted:

Can't be worst when they sign up Ubi-Soft and released Prince of Persia: Sands of Time & Beyond Good and Evil...and almost a year of nothing.

rivera82falcon
Oct 30, 2007
Sine yo piddy on the runny kine!

Songbearer posted:

:golfclap:

Summing up the Carmageddon spirit in six lovely words.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Blodskur posted:

I seem to remember people saying this was generally good but endlessly respawning enemies made it frustrating.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Honestly, I think that's pretty cool of Stainless. Rather than try for an official re-launch, they just go 'Check our official forums. Fans have already got it working and upgraded, just torrent and go!'.

Yeah is cool but I buy games on GOG mostly because you can install and boot without much hassle. Carmageddon 1 needs a Dosbox build with glide, glide wrapper, etc... I don't expect 1080p but I want to give money to GOG, Stainless and not touch my old rear end retail wich is inside some box.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dominic White posted:

I don't know if I can actually take that statement as the devs advocating :filez: or not. I'd really like to throw my money at them, even if they don't care about the old games.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I seem to remember people saying this was generally good but endlessly respawning enemies made it frustrating.

There are no respawning enemies in the game, sometimes if a guard notices you he'll run away and come back with more guards from another part of the map, or if you have knocked out and tied up enemies they can be released if they are noticed.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
GOG has a new pinball game in their library in the form of Pure Pinball 2.0 Redux is on a one day(?) sale at 60% off or $2.39.

VVV You're right... I think I need some sleep soon since I thought it said that it was a brand new game. :doh:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 7, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
That doesn't look like a new edition to GOG. The reviews and the image header seem to have been posted/uploaded around 3 years ago.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

SpRahl posted:

There are no respawning enemies in the game, sometimes if a guard notices you he'll run away and come back with more guards from another part of the map, or if you have knocked out and tied up enemies they can be released if they are noticed.

I see. I will check it sometime, then. It looks similar to Commandos.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I see. I will check it sometime, then. It looks similar to Commandos.

It's pretty much medieval Commandos.

I remember getting the demo with a PC Gamer disk way back when. It was fun. I got the full version and it was hard as gently caress.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Has anybody had any problems with deus ex dropping weird errors? I hit a point in the game where I loaded a new level, did something I regretted, reloaded a quick save from the prior level and went back to the transition point. I got a message saying "Can't find ConCamera in file 'ConCamera DeusEx.ConCamera4" and I just sat at the transition point, the new level refused to load. Trying to use the console to move me to that level doesn't even work, I get the same message.

level info: this is happening when i meet atanwe in the paris metro station to go to everett's bunker

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
As expected today's release is The 11th Hour for $9.99

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lockmat posted:

As expected today's release is The 11th Hour for $9.99

I'm morbidly curious to revisit this thing. I seem to recall never being able to finish it 'cause the last puzzle was goddamn impossible.

In hindsight, I'm surprised this hasn't achieved more internet ridicule because of its story/lovely FMV. IIRC, it has a woman literally being raped by an evil house.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think its release wasn't as widespread as The 7th Guest, and already by the 11th Hour there were SO MANY HORRIBLE FMV games that practically the entire genre was being ridiculed.

I never even got a chance to play it so I'll pick it up eventually. I was obsessed with T7G.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It's been several weeks now and still no Anachronox, c'mon Gog.com, you're giving me the classic gaming equivalent of blue balls, I really would like to play it without resorting to :filez:.

Also, I think the guys at Bioware must have played it at some before working on Mass Effect, both games share suspiciously similar themes.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Starhawk64 posted:

It's been several weeks now and still no Anachronox, c'mon Gog.com, you're giving me the classic gaming equivalent of blue balls, I really would like to play it without resorting to :filez:.

You're still going to have blue balls even if you start and finish the game. :smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This weekend's deal is 50% off various Activision games.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

The Kins posted:

This weekend's deal is 50% off various Activision games.

Thanks for that. Been meaning to buy the 1st Dark Reign. I still have it on CD, but having a mandatory install for DirectX 3 I'm not big on.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Betrayal at Krondor is a solid choice there, as is Interstate '76 (if you can get the loving thing to run, which is by no means certain even with the GOG release).

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Cryostasis seems to be the new release. This is by no means an old game but its awesome. Maybe now somebody has a PC that can run it.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Cryostasis is a good game, but it's a technical loving toilet. I have a top of the line PC, an older PC with dedicated PhysX hardware card (yeah, a loving PhysX card) and all sorts of bullshit in between.

NOTHING can run Cryostasis properly.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah it's kinda...crunchy technically but well worth a playthrough. The atmosphere is off the charts.

Also if you have a PhysX enabled card you get a weapon that trivializes most fights, something I didn't even realize wasn't originally in the game until after I beat it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I remember on the forums, someone posted an .ini that makes the game run a lot better by reducing the amount of stuff it has to draw. I'll edit with a link if I can find it.

Edit: Apparently, they were uploaded on Megaupload. I'll see if I can request a re-upload.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
I'm having some sound issues with World of Xeen. On default configuration music occasionally skips enough to be noticeable and annoying.

I hosed around with install.exe and dosbox .conf file but had little success.

Music doesn't skip when I set it to Roland but then it has other issues. On Roland Canvas setting the game plays loud, obnoxious ringing noise whenever I open a door (to be fair music itself sounds pretty nice!). On Roland MT-32 it plays musical notes whenever I turn around or walk forward, which is also annoying.

After some research, it seems that getting Roland to work is headache inducing task on Windows 7. It would probably be easier to mess around with Soundblaster in the game and dosbox options. Any tips on what could get rid of the skipping?