Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

In your town in could be a case of the mma = grappling = hugging dudes = gay thing. But it's still funny that there's a place where "people who spend their lives learning how to snap arms and choke people to death and then get paid money to try and kill each other for the entertainment of others" are considered pussies.

I hear similar things fairly often whenever I watch MMA with people who don't train. A lot of it is just posturing since everyone wants to believe that deep down inside they're a badass fighter. Every once in a while I'll watch a UFC with a group that's mostly friends of a friend and I've heard everything from "They give BJJ blackbelts away these days. I could tap one." to "I'd just run in there and knock that guy out." As far as I know their opinion is based on taking cardio boxing classes along with a few "MMA grappling" classes that didn't have anyone with any grappling experience teaching the class.

The attitude is more "Anyone who ever loses a fight or gets tapped in training sucks so as long as I don't lose to anyone I'm still good." It's like how people talk about how they'd be just as good as some benchwarmer in the NBA when the worst player on any D1 college team would be light years beyond anyone they or their rec league buddies have ever played against.

Fleshpeg fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

First Muay Thai class tonight. What should I know?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Christoff posted:

When posturing up in someone's guard, be careful not to leave your arms exposed, or else you'll get armbarred.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Christoff posted:

Getting punched doesn't hurt that bad. I hope you like skipping.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Christoff posted:

Your kicks will feel weird at first. Then after you throw 50,000 of them people will start saying "JESUS"

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Omglosser posted:

A Chicago suburb is where I reside. Whole lotta bar rats. I dunno, maybe it's just a weird thing with this upcoming 23-year-old generation around here. Plus it's not fair to call out people who wear TapouT gear, they could just genuinely love the sport, or just be silly poseurs who think they look cool.
Interesting. I live in Chicago and haven't noticed any such attitude, although I am more than a decade past being a 23-year-old and wouldn't dream of wearing TapouT gear. Which suburb out of curiosity, since I grew up in one?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

niethan posted:

When posturing up in someone's guard, be careful not to leave your arms exposed, or else you'll get armbarred.

NOW you tell me.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Christoff posted:

Mine too! *high five*

niethan posted:

Guh? Armbar? In Muay thai?

Unless this is a joke...

Antinumeric posted:

Getting punched doesn't hurt that bad.

You lie! :mad:

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Getting in on the Muay Thai love, bit the bullet and joined a pretty good MT gym last friday halfway across town. First class was circuit training (kicking) for most of an hour. Afterwards I had dance classes planned.

I wanted to die.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Mr Interweb posted:

No really it doesn't

walking into a spinning back kick to the liver, on the other hand...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

KingColliwog posted:

poo poo, you're a rather unlucky dude!

It's reassuring that 3 out of 4 of these would be illegal in judo! And the one that could happen in judo seems like the mildest of the bunch.

Still, you're one unlucky grappler yun. Where did you find the courage to come back to training after so many spine injuries? I'd probably be out after the second one!
Well I absolutely love BJJ so I've fought my way through these injuries. But honestly, if I suffer one more serious injury. I'm hanging up my gi/rashguard and sticking with solely coaching and not competing or training. Loss of use of 3 limbs(!) is enough for one person. I only listed my spine injuries there. I haven't listed all my other injuries.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Wrestling went well tonight. One of these days guys are going to realize that I only look like I'm 5 steps ahead.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I really enjoyed my first Muay Thai class. Inflamed ankles/shins be damned. My instructor seemed like a cool guy and was real patient with me. Fairly small class, about 10 people or so? It's tough trying to break the habit of blocking kicks with my hands and wasting energy bouncing around on my feet like some Taekwondo dude. Did a solid round house and just ended up throwing myself in the air and landing flat on my side. I felt I did pretty well all things considered. Guess I'll be purchasing some 16 ounce gloves and shin pads. Any recommendations on where to purchase those?

Also purchasing my Tapout and Affliction shirts online right now.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 13, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Christoff posted:

Did a solid round house and just ended up throwing myself in the air and landing flat on my side.
You need to do a "split" harder so that your support leg doesn't get dragged out from under you mid kick.

quote:

Guess I'll be purchasing some 16 ounce gloves and shin pads. Any recommendations on where to purchase those?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544&userid=118079&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post395847787

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Yuns posted:

Well I absolutely love BJJ so I've fought my way through these injuries. But honestly, if I suffer one more serious injury. I'm hanging up my gi/rashguard and sticking with solely coaching and not competing or training. Loss of use of 3 limbs(!) is enough for one person. I only listed my spine injuries there. I haven't listed all my other injuries.

Are injuries as severe as yours outliers, or have you found that in the long term these are just things that happen to every grappler?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Mr Interweb posted:

Guh? Armbar? In Muay thai?

Unless this is a joke...

No really, it doesn't. First time I got punched (didn't block a hook, took it straight to the ear) I was really surprised and jumped, but it didn't really hurt then or even later. Now kicks on the other hand...

Also have you never heard of the flying Muay Thai armbar? They only teach it at UV belt level.

Oh and in injurychat, talked to the doctor, turns out I have a sprained thumb and I'm out for 2 weeks. Is it weird if I just turn up and kick a bag for 2 hours?

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Are injuries as severe as yours outliers, or have you found that in the long term these are just things that happen to every grappler?

I've been grappling for nine years, and I have never had any one injury that was as bad as what Yuns has suffered. I've broken a lot of toes, sprained a rib, and pulled a bunch of muscles, and my knees are generally not happy with me (though that might just be me getting old). There are a lot of people who pop their ACL's (it's the classic plant and twist injury). That's usually the worst injury. There's an occasional shoulder separation.

Honestly, and I say this meaning no disrespect to anybody, if people were getting spine injuries on a regular basis at a club, I would not train at that club.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I agree, your school sounds unreasonably rough yuns. We've had some messed up knees due to lovely accidents but no one does any of that crap attacking your spine like that.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

Antinumeric posted:

Is it weird if I just turn up and kick a bag for 2 hours?

This is the opposite of weird. This is what everyone should be doing.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I've been grappling for nine years, and I've never suffered a serious injury. My baby toes on each foot are gnarled hunchbacks, my right ear has a tender patch (not quite cauliflower, but worrisome), and sometimes my knees get sore.

I think yoga and/or proper stretching coupled with good training partners/knowing when to tap can lead to a lifetime of safe jiu-jitsu.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

Oh and in injurychat, talked to the doctor, turns out I have a sprained thumb and I'm out for 2 weeks. Is it weird if I just turn up and kick a bag for 2 hours?

You've still got 1 good hand, 2 good elbows, go nuts

I still did padwork/bagwork even with a sprained left wrist, just didn't put any power into my lefts

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh god my right shin. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't take an elbow to it

Probably get one of these -

http://www.combatsports.com/csi/featured-gear/contender-fight-sports-palladium-tri-ply-sparring-gloves.html

http://www.combatsports.com/csi/gloves/boxing-sparring-gloves/lonsdale-thai-style-training-gloves-4.html

http://www.combatsports.com/csi/gloves/boxing-sparring-gloves/combat-sports-thai-style-boxing-sparring-glovesgel-10.html

But lots of shin guard options. Any recommendations from the lot?

http://www.combatsports.com/csi/protection/shin-guards.html

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 13, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

The number and severity of injuries I've had are outliers but cervical injuries with some degree of nerve compression in BJJ are very common.

Comrade_Robot posted:

Honestly, and I say this meaning no disrespect to anybody, if people were getting spine injuries on a regular basis at a club, I would not train at that club.
It is not as bad as it sounds. Out of my injuries the two most severe: the loss of my left tricep happened rolling at an unaffiliated gym that I was invited to by a random guy not at my gym. I guess they had something to prove by can opening me. The lumbar injury was caused training with a visiting pro fighter not a regular academy member. The first one was from an annoying blue belt trying to out-muscle me as when I was a white belt.

My academy is a very serious about competition and serious competitive no gi grappling/MMA carries a moderate risk of disk injuries especially cervical. Google disk injury and BJJ and prepare to be surprised.

Xguard86 posted:

I agree, your school sounds unreasonably rough yuns. We've had some messed up knees due to lovely accidents but no one does any of that crap attacking your spine like that.
Full speed cranking of a spinal sub is frowned upon in my gym and the worst happened outside my gym . The other were pretty inappropriate as well; just unfortunate choices of partners those days.

But regardless, the classes I attend most are the advanced no gi classes and the skill level (tons of black belts and mostly black, brown and purple) and intensity are high and all rolling starts from the feet. Always going to be some level of risk.

EDIT:
In fact herniated, degenerated and bulging disks are pretty common in MMA and grappling. Just a quick search shows Rener Gracie, Matt Serra, BJ Penn, Braulio Estima, Jose Aldo, Kenny Florian and Draculino all have suffered from them.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 13, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Christoff posted:

Honestly, they all look like poo poo, except the everlast ones and everlast is kind of a poo poo company anyways.

Get something like this:
http://www.muaythaistuff.com/products/king-professional-shin-guard-leather-kng-kpsgl-25/

either King or Twins. Make sure they're the really thick comfy padded ones for sparring.

Get a pair of these:
http://www.boxhaus.de/product_info....q05a55n17qkfpu3

for competitions

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay, went to my first muay thai class.I've bee to a lot of different dojos, jeet kune do, bjj, kenpo, karate, etc. and this seemed like the most intimidating. I'm wondering if I should start off on regular western boxing and work my way up to muay thai later. (mainly cause I've head people say that beginner's muay thai is more an advanced martial art than others)

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 14, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay, went to my first muay thai class.I've bee to a lot of different dojos, jeet kune do, bjj, kenpo, karate, etc. and this seemed like the most intimidating. I'm wondering if I should start off on regular western boxing and work my way up to muay thai later.

What makes you think boxing is going to be any less intimidating? Just go, don't keep flip flopping.

Speaking of

gimpsuitjones posted:

You've still got 1 good hand, 2 good elbows, go nuts
I still did padwork/bagwork even with a sprained left wrist, just didn't put any power into my lefts

You're right! I'll see if I can head to training tomorrow, sad I can't do any grappling tho.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Intimidating in what way?

I'd say stick with it.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I've got these, they are fantastic. I absolutely hated starting out kicking with club gear, then I got these. Now I don't mind using my legs nearly as much.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay, went to my first muay thai class.I've bee to a lot of different dojos, jeet kune do, bjj, kenpo, karate, etc. and this seemed like the most intimidating. I'm wondering if I should start off on regular western boxing and work my way up to muay thai later. (mainly cause I've head people say that beginner's muay thai is more an advanced martial art than others)

I think it rarely or never makes sense to speak of one martial art as being "more advanced" than another. Professional Muay Thai fighters don't start off in Western boxing; they start off doing Muay Thai in most cases unless I'm very mistaken. The same goes for almost all martial arts; it's not as though they were designed for students of other styles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Christoff posted:

Just get those $20 on sale ones and save on shipping instead of going through another site. They'll wear out in some months and then you'll feel all badass and can step up to some better gear.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr Interweb posted:

Nah.

I'm a muay thai guy dancing in western boxing for head movement and a stronger jab. The two are VASTLY different.

You will need to throw 10,000 kicks for them to even begin to get good. But once they do, it's like hitting someone with a baseball bat if you throw full force.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Depends on your goals. If you want to fight mt, train mt. If you want to box, train boxing.

If you take up boxing then move to mt you'll have a lot to relearn and you'll get kicked in the leg. A lot.

From my mt training I find boxing sparring really hard now, because I'm so conditioned to using teeps to make space, finishing combos with kicks etc... I always end up starting to throw kicks from habit when boxing sparring

Also sparring mt with the boxing guys at the gym is fun, it's so easy to kick them

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Mr Interweb posted:

Don't do this. Boxing is just as difficult to master as muay thai and almost as intimidating (depending on what kind of person you are). Also the footwork and movements are completely worlds apart, and so are the guards.

If you want to do muay thai, do muay thai. If you don't, then don't. Beginner's muay thai isn't more or less advanced than any others. It just takes longer to master.

kimbo305 posted:

Just get those $20 on sale ones and save on shipping instead of going through another site. They'll wear out in some months and then you'll feel all badass and can step up to some better gear.

If you're sticking with muay thai and just starting out, absolutely do not do this. lovely shin guards will instill fear in you and your sparring partner. As a trainer who has to deal with a lot of rear end in a top hat beginners who think that sock guards are sufficient, it still loving hurts as if there's no guard, and if I return at the same level, the beginners usually become afraid. Get good guards, 50-75 bucks is usually enough and will last you at least a year if not longer.

Later on you might want to get thinner guards, but for now you need to learn confidence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guilty posted:

If you're sticking with muay thai and just starting out, absolutely do not do this. lovely shin guards will instill fear in you and your sparring partner. As a trainer who has to deal with a lot of rear end in a top hat beginners who think that sock guards are sufficient, it still loving hurts as if there's no guard, and if I return at the same level, the beginners usually become afraid. Get good guards, 50-75 bucks is usually enough and will last you at least a year if not longer.

If it's not clear, I'm in no way advocating for those TKD style cloth pad pullup things.

These are the ones that are on sale at $20. They're not thin, in my opinion:
http://www.combatsports.com/csi/protection/shin-guards/contender-fight-sports-mma-pro-style-shin-guards-3.html
The construction on these Windys will be a bit better, but the padding level won't differ much:
http://www.combatsports.com/csi/protection/shin-guards/windy-pro-style-shin-instep-4.html

If you really want more padding, get something like these:
http://www.truestore.eu/truestore/fairtex-super-comfort-instep-shin-guard-p-870.html?currency=USD

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr Interweb posted:

unlike those other martial arts, muay thai is a full contact sport. the same is true for boxing, so don't expect to be any less intimidated there. if that's not your thing, pick judo or bjj which while full force, don't involve getting hit. everything else is useless.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guilty posted:

Later on you might want to get thinner guards, but for now you need to learn confidence.

that's good advice. these are the best shin guards money can buy:

http://www.muaythaistuff.com/product/KNG-KPSGL-23/

if you find cheaper ones with a similar shape you can do for them as well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That makes more sense yuns, really sucks but sounds like you just got unlucky in bad situations. I've done like everything you mentioned and now it's sort of scary to think what could have happened.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Paul Pot posted:

that's good advice. these are the best shin guards money can buy:

http://www.muaythaistuff.com/product/KNG-KPSGL-23/

if you find cheaper ones with a similar shape you can do for them as well.

Is there really a difference between the king and top king ones? I'm going to assume small changes and maybe aesthetics.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
nobody understands thai branding, the ones pictured are regular king. one guy at the gym has the top king ones with the lovely golden flames but the shape is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Paul Pot posted:

nobody understands thai branding, the ones pictured are regular king. one guy at the gym has the top king ones with the lovely golden flames but the shape is the same.

Golden flames make your legs go faster, duh :rolleyes:

• Locked thread