Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evfedu posted:

Holy poo poo, really? I'm surprised he let that go on air without comment.

Why? The whole point of the documentary was to make an impact on the viewer and get some momentum up for Alzheimer's research. "Well, there's a few inconveniences but nothing I can't handle because I'm rich" is not the message you want to send if you aim to do that.

Besides, it's not like the filmmakers were making it up. Pterry is lucky enough to have a relatively slow progression, but he was getting worse even as they filmed; all they did was make it look as bad at the start as it was at the end. A lot of sufferers do get that bad that quickly, so it's not unfair to project that as an image of what life is like with Alzheimer's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I get all that, I'm just really averse to artificial manipulation in programmes professing to be documentaries.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
From Terry's Facebook, due out on June 7:

withak fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 7, 2012

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

withak posted:

The World of Poo

Came here to post this. Can't wait. This is a good year for Terry. 2 books!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Again from Facebook, to be released this fall sometime:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Gaspode? Gaspode!

Better be Gaspode.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I miss Josh Kirby's covers.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That ... isn't the best cover I've ever seen him come out with.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

rejutka posted:

Gaspode? Gaspode!

Better be Gaspode.

Looks too clean to be Gaspode, and I don't think he'd wear a collar.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
...Willikins?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

It's set in Victorian London people, he's pretty much doing an Artful Dodger fanfic.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
If not for the face, I'd have wagered that was Moist and his rich little dog. I could see him wear the same suit but remove the fancy gold and make it "regular" again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mister Roboto posted:

If not for the face, I'd have wagered that was Moist and his rich little dog. I could see him wear the same suit but remove the fancy gold and make it "regular" again.

That was my first thought as well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Could possibly be young Moist.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

Could possibly be young Moist.

I'd be surprised if it was, it seems to be fairly chronological ever since Thief of Time.

Izz
May 1, 2006

In the comments section of his Facebook post Pratchett says "This is not a Discworld book but you haven't seen the last of the pancake shaped planet."

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I'm still hoping for a Nation-world sequel.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Izz posted:

In the comments section of his Facebook post Pratchett says "This is not a Discworld book but you haven't seen the last of the pancake shaped planet."

Suppose I should've guessed that from the lack of "A Discworld Novel" on the cover.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I'm still hoping for a Nation-world sequel.

This is supposedly it. Set in the same world at least.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett. I have read each of his Discworld novels many times, and I love them all (Monstrous Regiment and Snuff included). I have attempted only one of his non-Discworld novels; his first, Dark Side of the Sun, and I couldn't get further than a couple of chapters, mostly because it wasn't Discworld. I have this insane loyalty to the series that makes no sense to me but is restricting my ability to purchase and enjoy his other works.

I am ashamed to admit I hadn't even heard of Nation until I discovered this thread a few minutes ago. I am debating whether purchasing it would be a waste of my time and money.

Would it be too cheeky to ask someone to briefly summarise the book and tell me whether my irrational fear of non-Discworld Pratchett literature would be removed by the reading of it? Is it written in a similar vein? Is it still full of well-observed humour, great characters and dialogue? I would appreciate any assistance greatly.

(I know I can find summaries elsewhere, but having read a few of the pages in this thread I would much prefer help from goons. If this is too much to ask, please tell me to be on my way and I will gladly vacate the premises).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's a terry pratchett novel that happens to not be in a Discworld setting. It's still very much his writing style. It's not quite in the "real world" but it's not a fantasy setting. Everything else is still there.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a terry pratchett novel that happens to not be in a Discworld setting. It's still very much his writing style. It's not quite in the "real world" but it's not a fantasy setting. Everything else is still there.

Enough for me, much appreciated.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Enough for me, much appreciated.

Dark Side Of The Sun is the only Pratchett book I haven't been able to get into. I have no idea why that is. I've read and enjoyed everything else he's done. Even The Carpet People.

Nation is awesome, I don't imagine you won't love it. It has all the things you mentioned, and even though it doesn't really have as many characters as most Discworld stuff, it's still great. I have to find my copy now, it's been missing for a while.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Dark Side of the Sun and Strata are both very different from his other non-Discworld books (written as they were back in his earliest days of writing). I'd say almost everything non-Discworld is worth reading. Nation in particular.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I never could get into Strata too.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Strata is super-weird in that you can tell he's going for these Arthur C Clarke ideas viewed through this sorta-funny-old-world lense but it really doesn't pan out all that well.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Nation is one of the best books I have ever read.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Nation was confusing as hell to me until the last 1/5 of the book when it clicked that it wasn't the real Earth.

Also, the part about adult circumcision literally makes me cringe to the point where I can't read it, too many bad memories.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The recommendations posted here convinced me I would be a fool not to at least try the book. As an added bonus, it cost only £1.80 on Amazon (new) with a couple of pounds shipping. Excellent, thanks everyone.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Izz posted:

God I pray It's a return of the Witches.

We could all use a bit more Weatherwax in our lives.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

God I pray It's a return of the Witches.

We could all use a bit more Weatherwax in our lives.

:argh: ALISON :argh: WEATHERWAX :argh:

Mighty Kraken
Jun 6, 2010
It is just me? Or would it be interesting to see a team up of Sam Vimes and Granny Weatherwax? Just the clashing their personalities would be something to see.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

SeanBeansShako posted:

I never could get into Strata too.

Strata is a lot more entertaining if you've read Larry Niven's Ringworld, as it's a parody/homage to it.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mighty Kraken posted:

It is just me? Or would it be interesting to see a team up of Sam Vimes and Granny Weatherwax? Just the clashing their personalities would be something to see.

I think someone actually posted a mashup earlier in this thread. I thought it was pretty amusing.

I have actually myself avoided Nation, for no other reason than "It's not Discworld:reject:" but I have to get it now after these glowing recommendations.
It's... it's still funny, right?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Iacen posted:

It's... it's still funny, right?

Yes.

But like most discworld books, it's also insightful.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Iacen posted:

"It's not Discworld:reject:"

This doesn't make sense to me. You like Discworld but not Terry Pratchett? Or what?

It's not like he's writing an entirely different genre even, it's still fantasy.

This isn't only directed at you, but you are the second person to say that, so I'm sure there's other people that feel the same way, and I just don't understand it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

subx posted:

This doesn't make sense to me. You like Discworld but not Terry Pratchett? Or what?

It's not like he's writing an entirely different genre even, it's still fantasy.

This isn't only directed at you, but you are the second person to say that, so I'm sure there's other people that feel the same way, and I just don't understand it.

Just to clarify, my opinion on his non-Discworld efforts was based on the attempted reading of Dark Side of the Sun, which I thought was awful. I (obviously wrongly) assumed the rest of his works would be similar to this, so chose to stay away.

Now I know that his non-Discworld fiction is still just as funny and insightful, I can't wait to read it all.

Are there any others - Nation aside - that I should be looking at?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'd personally recommend the Johnny books - Only You Can Save Mankind, Johnny and the Dead, and Johnny and the Bomb. They're excellent portrayals of 1990s British kids/teenagers, and while OYCSM has dated in its portrayal of technology/video games, it's still great (and spot-on for the time it was written).

If you haven't done so, you should read Good Omens too, Pratchett's collaboration with Neil Gaiman. It's one of my favourite Pratchett books.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
The Bromeliad Trilogy is a good (fairly short) read. There's a lot of great humor in the books.

I listened to them as audio books on a trip and they made the trip much more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

subx posted:

Nah, more like I didn't know the style. Discworld is a funny universe and I'm guaranteed a fun time reading Discworld novels. Nation didn't have to be a fun read, even if it was a Pratchett book. He could have tried to write a drama or something.