Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Any recommendations for a good Western?
My favorite on there are True Grit, Butch Cassidy, Dead Man, Meek's Cutoff, The Mercenary, Shane, and Death Rides a Horse. The trailer for Blackthorn looked pretty good, but I haven't seen it. The selection is pretty pitiful right now, hopefully they add some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Any recommendations for a good Western?

There used to be a lot of classic/golden age Westerns but looking now it's pretty slim pickings. Check out Shane or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

fenix down posted:

The trailer for Blackthorn looked pretty good, but I haven't seen it.

It's not very good. Starts off solid and then sorta peters out.

Fat Worm, watch Shane. Everybody watch Shane. Shane all day.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Mike Toole posted:

The Ward has gotten some really bad press, so I haven't taken the plunge on it. Anyone seen it?

The Ward is really terrible. It's one of those movies that the plot twist would be really obvious to pretty much everyone if the movie didn't cheat. There are a few scenes that exist only to serve as a misdirection as to what's going on, but when the twist is revealed they don't make any sense, and really couldn't have happened.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

fenix down posted:

My favorite on there are True Grit, Butch Cassidy, Dead Man, Meek's Cutoff, The Mercenary, Shane, and Death Rides a Horse. The trailer for Blackthorn looked pretty good, but I haven't seen it. The selection is pretty pitiful right now, hopefully they add some more.

I loved the hell out of Meek's Cutoff, but it's not for everyone.

Thanks to TrixRabbi for the Le Cercle Rouge recommendation, watching it now and it's great.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
One of my favorite days in highschool was when I watched Escape From New York, napped for half an hour, then ate a giant bowl of mashed potatoes and watched Escape From L.A. I hadn't seen either movie before and it's always going to be in my head as the perfect way to watch those movies. Comfort food and comfort films.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine

SRM posted:

One of my favorite days in highschool was when I watched Escape From New York, napped for half an hour, then ate a giant bowl of mashed potatoes and watched Escape From L.A. I hadn't seen either movie before and it's always going to be in my head as the perfect way to watch those movies. Comfort food and comfort films.

Did they finally put escape from LA on there?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm two minutes into Blitz and I think I'm going to like this movie.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Rolo posted:

I'm two minutes into Blitz and I think I'm going to like this movie.

That was a decent adaptation of the original book at least - I should watch it again since I rented it from Redbox originally before Netflix got it. I like Jason Statham and as a bonus for fans of The Wire/A Game of Thrones - Carcetti/Littlefinger plays the suspect Statham's chasing.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
I just finished watching Buried so I went back into the archives to see what people posted about in the Buried thread and now I just want to fling things at most of them. What a well-done film.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

reach42 posted:

I just finished watching Buried so I went back into the archives to see what people posted about in the Buried thread and now I just want to fling things at most of them. What a well-done film.

I was anticipating that movie for awhile because it sounded like it was really well done, and then I hated it.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Bruiser posted:

Did they finally put escape from LA on there?
The last day was either yesterday or today. It's been on there for a while, though.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Just finished Being Elmo and I really enjoyed it. I really never knew that there was so much work in becoming a puppet. I'm starting Lilyhammer now and oh boy, why are Little Steven's wigs so bad?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Any good Sci-fi films on at the moment?I was looking around and saw that Blade Runner is no longer streaming and I'm really hankering for some good sci fi . I was looking through their selection and it seems like slim pickings at the moment

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 16, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Dr. Xenu posted:

Any good Sci-fi films on at the moment?I was looking around and saw that Blade Runner is no longer streaming and I'm really hankering for some good sci fi . I was lloking through their selection and it seems like slim pickings at the moment

Trollhunter is a good fantasy-ish flick: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/171149

Giorgio Moroder's version of Metropolis is a great silent sci-fi flick with 80's soundtrack: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/173315

They Live is a cult classic John Carpenter flick: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/165722

Videodrome is classic Cronenburg: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/170391

The Fly (1986) is another great (gory) Cronenburg flick: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/168346

Timecrimes is a cool and creepy time travel thriller from Spain that was popular here last month: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/175970

A Boy And His Dog is an absolutely bizarre apocalyptic future flick from the 70s: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/168447

Yeah it does look like pretty slim pickings for sci fi though--at least not much like Blade Runner. There are some more popular flicks like Contact, Terminator, Clockwork Orange, Highlander, and Pi. I might watch Contact again now that I notice it's back on Netflix--great classic sci fi flick.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

mod sassinator posted:

Giorgio Moroder's version of Metropolis is a great silent sci-fi flick with 80's soundtrack: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/173315

Not to mention the almost restored Metropolis without the wacky 80's soundtrack.

Besides that, you ought to try the classic 1953 scifi flick Invaders from Mars and the original Planet of the Apes!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah it does look like pretty slim pickings for sci fi though--at least not much like Blade Runner. There are some more popular flicks like Contact, Terminator, Clockwork Orange, Highlander, and Pi. I might watch Contact again now that I notice it's back on Netflix--great classic sci fi flick.

Thanks for the stuff I added most of it ( except for The Fly which holds the esteemed position of one of the few films to make me queasy) . Contact is awesome and I actually showed it to my girlfriend to get her into sci fi

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Well I just finished Grizzly Man. It was a fantastic documentary that really goes into the psyche of Timmy and what exactly was going on. It really shows that grizzlies and humans were never meant to be pals.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

VaultAggie posted:

Well I just finished Grizzly Man. It was a fantastic documentary that really goes into the psyche of Timmy and what exactly was going on. It really shows that grizzlies and humans were never meant to be pals.

It was a great documentary, but really frustrating to watch. The whole movie you're just hoping that he'll listen to someone and not live with the drat bears. He's definitely committed to protecting the animals, but it's also clear that he thinks of them as his pets. Werner Herzog is completely awesome as usual.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jolo posted:

It was a great documentary, but really frustrating to watch. The whole movie you're just hoping that he'll listen to someone and not live with the drat bears. He's definitely committed to protecting the animals, but it's also clear that he thinks of them as his pets. Werner Herzog is completely awesome as usual.
I agree that it's sad/frustrating, but the breadcrumb trail he left behind leads to a lot of really interesting revelations. One of the best docs I've ever seen.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
SA favorite show that everyone loves to hate The Killing is now on streaming. I guess that no one will care because of the fact that it's so hated, but I'm gonna watch it again.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I watched this movie called Repeaters it's basically Groundhogs day meets Requiem for a Dream. Three friends in rehab get trapped in their one day of having a daypass to make amends to the people they've hurt. It was an entertaining movie but I found it lacking in some parts. Would watch again but not with out some time between.

It would have been a much better movie if anything from the characters amends to even just the time loop would have been resolved but in the end they don't make any use of this event other then to gently caress up more

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Volume posted:

Groundhogs day meets Requiem for a Dream.

The 'rear end to rear end' scene was bad enough, I don't need to visualize Bill Murray in it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

screenwritersblues posted:

SA favorite show that everyone loves to hate The Killing is now on streaming. I guess that no one will care because of the fact that it's so hated, but I'm gonna watch it again.

Is this a cry for help?

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

screenwritersblues posted:

Waiting for the inevitable I want 13 hours of my life back post that will come after this.

EDIT oh you already watched it once. Why would you do that to yourself again?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I really want to watch the Killing to see what all the fuss is about.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Nice, Lo and The Crying Game are back on instant. If you haven't seen either of these you're doing yourself a disservice!

Lo is the story of a boy who summons a demon to help him find his girlfriend who's trapped in hell. It is my all time favorite ultra-minimalist quasi-musical horror drama comedy. You'll love it!

The Crying Game, on the other hand, is a movie I can't really talk about except to say it's an unconventional love story and has one of the most famous twists in cinema history. Don't spoil it for yourself, go in blind!

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

foodfight posted:

The problem is that the first episode is fantastic, but then about three or four episodes in it is like they forgot what the show was even about. Not to mention all of the magical right place right time things that happen over and over to progress what story is left. Then the finale just ignores everything that has happened and tries to make it something completely different.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

MrGreenShirt posted:

Nice, Lo and The Crying Game are back on instant. If you haven't seen either of these you're doing yourself a disservice!

Lo is the story of a boy who summons a demon to help him find his girlfriend who's trapped in hell. It is my all time favorite ultra-minimalist quasi-musical horror drama comedy. You'll love it!

Lo is absolutely a movie you have to watch twice, back to back, I wish I could elaborate more but that would ruin the movie.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

foodfight posted:

The major problem that everyone had about it when it ended last season was that nothing happened, it just ended without anything major happening. Unlike it's Danish counterpart, where everything was resolved, it was left opened in a cliffhanger for next season.

I'm going to rewatch it so that I remember what happened when the new season starts up again in weeks, I remember what's going on. Yes, I am willing to subject myself to torture because it's such a terrible soh

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

homerlaw posted:

Lo is absolutely a movie you have to watch twice, back to back, I wish I could elaborate more but that would ruin the movie.

I love this movie. It's weird and kind of cheesy at times, but very enjoyable.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

mod sassinator posted:

MrGreenShirt posted:

Not to mention the almost restored Metropolis without the wacky 80's soundtrack.

If you must choose one for your first Metropolis viewing, go for Metropolis Restored, with all but a few scenes of the awesome missing footage that several generations of film fans would've sold their first-born to see again, and now all you have to do is push a button because sometimes miracles do happen.

Moroder did what he could with what footage was available back in the day to tell something resembling the original untampered story, but he was also aiming at the midnight movie market, and to that effect goes all-in with the reprocessed footage and 80s-tastic music. Consider it more of a fan edit than a restoration.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VaultAggie posted:

I guess the mentality only makes sense if you have one of those awesome bear proof suits.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

EasyEW posted:

If you must choose one for your first Metropolis viewing, go for Metropolis Restored, with all but a few scenes of the awesome missing footage that several generations of film fans would've sold their first-born to see again, and now all you have to do is push a button because sometimes miracles do happen.

Moroder did what he could with what footage was available back in the day to tell something resembling the original untampered story, but he was also aiming at the midnight movie market, and to that effect goes all-in with the reprocessed footage and 80s-tastic music. Consider it more of a fan edit than a restoration.

Moroder's version is worth a look once you've seen a proper version of it. It helps that it's only an hour and a half, although the story still works fine. I think it's mainly the synth pop that turns people off (which really only shows up here and there for short bits). Watch the restored version, give it some time, then when you're ready queue up Moroder's version and enjoy Freddy Mercury and Pat Benetar singing over one of the greatest films ever made.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

EasyEW posted:

I hate to say it but I prefer the Moroder version to the original. I watched the Kino full restoration and was kind of confused at what was going on. The Moroder version is a tighter edit that moves a bit quicker and made more sense to me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

I just finished watching it myself and I wish I hadn't waited that long to watch it. He's so earnest and yet so disturbed and misguided.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks to whoever recommended Being Elmo. What a great documentary :)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

MrGreenShirt posted:

The Crying Game

The Crying Game, on the other hand, is a movie I can't really talk about except to say it's an unconventional love story and has one of the most famous twists in cinema history. Don't spoil it for yourself, go in blind!

Here's the thing, though: I think The Crying Game is an excellent film to watch even if you know the plot twist, the quality of the film in my opinion is no way dependent on being surprised by it, and it's been around long enough and is famous enough that it's a bit hard to have heard of it and not been spoiled on the story.

The theme of love and what people will do for it really transcends the plot twist.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

I agree completely.

The problem I always run into is that if I let slip what the twist is then the person more often than not will decide it "isn't their kind of movie" and won't watch it. I've run into this mindset so many times I eventually just said gently caress it, go in blind and watch an amazing fuckin' movie you otherwise would've simply passed by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MrGreenShirt posted:

I read this and the premise sounded interesting but I was really turned off by the idea of a "Quasi-musical" thing. Luckily it was only one song number and the rest of the movie was really great. Lo was great.

• Locked thread