Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

The only difference between the N36L and N40L is 0.2GHz speed difference on the CPU. Since samba sharing doesn't benefit from threaded solutions, it's negligible how much difference you'll actually see between the two unless you're using the machine as a virtual host for guest OS' (something it's supposedly also designed to do).

I would love one of those for a thin client to use in the kitchen for recipes and stuff.

For $150 you can get a netbook and not deal with some janky software on your computer.

edit: well they seem to sell for around $30 on ebay so your dreams can come true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DNova posted:

For $150 you can get a netbook and not deal with some janky software on your computer.
Not with the danish import tax and VAT I can't. Believe me, I've tried.
So my solution has been to work it into a script in calibre which syncs to my Kindle - almost as good a solution.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

D. Ebdrup posted:

I get +240MBps read and +160MBps writes (and have lagg'd NICs to enable multiple machines to access the NAS at full speed) with my zfs solution on FreeBSD (started with FreeNAS, which is an excellent out-of-the-box solution) on a HP Microserver. It's as cheap as a four-bay NAS solution. Add in a NIC and 8GB memory (both can be had for cheap) and you're good to go provided you're willing to do a bit more reading than Synology requires.

You're using the N40L that everyone seems to be talking about (this, right?)? This is 1/4 the cost of the Synology I was looking at, and those speeds are insane.

[edit]
Hm, this guy only seems to support RAID 0 and 1. I'm hoping for RAID-Z or RAID-5. I already have 4x2TB drives. Can I still do a RAID-Z with FreeNAS with this guy?

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 13, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Fangs404 posted:

You're using the N40L that everyone seems to be talking about (this, right?)?

What the gently caress.

$269.99 USD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107052

$479.98 CAD http://ncix.com/products/?sku=68347&vpn=658553-001&manufacture=HP%20Commercial

Bullshit, the exchange rate is just about 1:1. Why in the gently caress must I get hosed for being Canadian.

Good thing I live an hour away from the border. I'll just have it shipped there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

You're using the N40L that everyone seems to be talking about (this, right?)? This is 1/4 the cost of the Synology I was looking at, and those speeds are insane.

[edit]
Hm, this guy only seems to support RAID 0 and 1. I'm hoping for RAID-Z or RAID-5. I already have 4x2TB drives. Can I still do a RAID-Z with FreeNAS with this guy?

Yeah, you don't care what RAID levels the controller supports when you're doing everything in software - there's no such thing as a RAIDZ hardware controller that I'm aware of :v:

The N40L will present individual drives back to the OS and the OS will slap them together in whatever RAID level you tell it to.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, you don't care what RAID levels the controller supports when you're doing everything in software - there's no such thing as a RAIDZ hardware controller that I'm aware of :v:

The N40L will present individual drives back to the OS and the OS will slap them together in whatever RAID level you tell it to.

That's exactly what I figured. How do you guys do the OS vs storage? Is there enough room in that box for a small OS drive, or do you just create a small ~100gb OS partition and leave the rest as storage?

IT Guy posted:

What the gently caress.

$269.99 USD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107052

$479.98 CAD http://ncix.com/products/?sku=68347&vpn=658553-001&manufacture=HP%20Commercial

Bullshit, the exchange rate is just about 1:1. Why in the gently caress must I get hosed for being Canadian.

Good thing I live an hour away from the border. I'll just have it shipped there.

That's loving ridiculous. I was gonna offer to have it shipped here, and then I could mail it to you.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Since this thread has basically turned into a HP Microserver thread (not complaining, they are awesome), is there any difference in throughput of putting my Intel CT NIC on the PCIEx1 slot vs the PCIEx16 slot?

I bought the thing since everyone recommended an Intel NIC over the onboard, but I'd hate to tie up the x16 slot if it doesn't make a difference, especially if I can do something else nifty with it, like install a TV tuner or graphics card down the line.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Fangs404 posted:

That's exactly what I figured. How do you guys do the OS vs storage? Is there enough room in that box for a small OS drive, or do you just create a small ~100gb OS partition and leave the rest as storage?
Depends on the OS.

FreeNAS (and probably some other OSes) can be installed on a USB drive and the micro server has a convenient internal USB port.

Or you can flash the bios to 'unlock' the fifth sata port that's supposed to be used for an optical drive and stick another hard drive up there. Or multiple drives up there with a controller card. Here's some various info on flashing the bios and stuffing in more drives.

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 14, 2012

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Can someone explain Plex to me?

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Blackula69 posted:

Can someone explain Plex to me?

PLEX is pretty much a fork of XBMC that is dedicated to be installed on OSX. I have run both, PLEX and XBMC on a high end MBP and didn't notice much difference. Either is a great front end media solution. My next man-cave project is taking a old 2007(ish) MacBook with a busted display and running PLEX on it for an HTPC. I wonder how it going to handle 1080p, if at all.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I'm mostly interested in the on-the-fly encoding & streaming - can I throw it on a windows box and watch movies off my NAS onto my ipad?

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider

Blackula69 posted:

I'm mostly interested in the on-the-fly encoding & streaming - can I throw it on a windows box and watch movies off my NAS onto my ipad?

Yes. I have the Plex server (it's split between server and front end) on a Windows laptop. That laptop is hooked up to the main TV and runs plex server, which works great. The bedroom has a rooted apple tv running plex off the same media server and I'm able to stream plex shows to my iPad and iPhone. If you set up port forwarding you can even do it from outside your network.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Awesome, thanks. I've been using my old pc to run boxee, but I'll take some weekend afternoon to test out Plex.

e: also, is there any special reason my 360 wouldn't be able to see my NAS? It's a My Book Live with Twonky media server, it should just work but it doesn't - the 360 doesn't even see it

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 14, 2012

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Hi everyone,

firstly sorry if this is in the first post but I'm not even totally sure what I'm looking for!

I recently acquired a Lacie 2Big Network drive for free from work, I duly wiped it and put all my movies and music on it. I then updated all the software on the drive to the latest lacie had available.

The problem is though it doesn't seem to scan any of my media on the drive so i can stream say from my ps3 directly, I've gone to the multimedia section on the drive and told it where to look but no matter how many times I tell it to scan the drive it finds nothing (though i doesn't come up with any message telling me its found just constantly scans for media)

Does anyone have any experience with Lacie NAS's? is there different software I can install on it that would work better?

Thanks.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

N40l for $179.99 shipped!
http://www.pcconnectionexpress.com/...a2a5d49a2880a2b

Phatty2x4
Dec 11, 2002
Masseous Gaseous Produceous

Lowen SoDium posted:

So I am looking for a software RAID4 or 5 or equivalent solution that will work on Windows 7.

So far, FlexRaid is looking like it might have some of the best features I want:

+data is not stripped across disk, allowing for single disk spin up for data retrieval
+uses window's native NTFS so disk can be removed/recovered with out the use of any special software, hardware, or drivers
+is expandable and can use mis-matched drive sizes
+allows for drives with data to be added to a storage pool with out formatting or lose of data.

I understand that is has the following cons:

-Not as fast as RAID 5 (not a big deal for my usage)
-has issues with bit torrent and possibly with other apps that edit files?
-Real time RAID apparently has some stability issues
-Current BETA releases are time-bombed to expire after 6 months
-Is about to go a tiered feature sales model

Are their any other issues I should be aware of?

I have also looked a little bit at unRAID which seems to be a similar product.

Are their any other software solutions that work with Windows 7 that I should be looking at?

I use Disparity (http://www.vilett.com/disParity/) and have had very positive results. IMHO it is leaps and bounds more simple than Flexraid. It is no where near feature rich as flexraid though.

As mentioned - windows 8 should also fill the gaps in desired coverage.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

DNova posted:

After waiting a while for a synology box to drop to a price I was happy with, I jumped on this instead.

I'm going to rip the two 2TB drives out of my desktop to get this guy started. I've installed linux a few times just for shits and giggles, but have never become anywhere near proficient with it. Are there distros that are easy enough for the linux ignorant to use for basic windows file serving / upnp media streaming (ps3), or should I just stick with WHS2011?

I've been reading the thread on and off, and most of the ZFS/freeNAS discussion seems to be above my tech level, or maybe because I haven't bothered to practice with this stuff. Is it less complicated than I'm making it out to be?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

DNova posted:

Just did this. I understand I need a better NIC for Freenas. What's a good and cheap option?

EDIT: Is this good?
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033

UndyingShadow fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 14, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

I've switched from XBMC to Plex very recently. The big difference to me is that XBMC, while awesome, requires a lot of tweaking and frankly I've never managed to get to a point where I'm truly happy with it. Plex, on the other hand...I installed the Plex server on a 2CPU/4GB Win7 VM on my ESXi all-in-one, mapped the SMB shares from my Ubuntu VM, pointed Plex at my media shares, and then installed Plex on my already-rooted ATV2 in my bedroom. Now even the high-bitrate 720p and 1080p content that would make the ATV2 choke while in XBMC runs flawlessly, and the Plex ATV2 interface is much more neatly integrated into the rest of the ATV2 (so my wife can easily switch between Plex and ATV2-native Netflix).

I have yet to try it with a mobile device yet but I will soon, I've got an iPad and a couple of Android phones. It seems really slick; it does out of the box what XBMC would require hours of tweaking to get to the same point.

The only trick with Plex is that if you do install the server to an x64 OS, you do need to fire up the 64-bit version of IE and install Flash from there if you want it to be able to transcode Flash content.

UndyingShadow: I have two of those NICs in my ESXi all-in-one. They're solid, but they're also on eBay consistently for about half the cost of Newegg or Amazon.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Galler posted:

Depends on the OS.

FreeNAS (and probably some other OSes) can be installed on a USB drive and the micro server has a convenient internal USB port.

Or you can flash the bios to 'unlock' the fifth sata port that's supposed to be used for an optical drive and stick another hard drive up there. Or multiple drives up there with a controller card. Here's some various info on flashing the bios and stuffing in more drives.

This is great. Thanks!

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

DNova posted:

Link is broken now.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Ceros_X posted:

Link is broken now.

Yeah, bummed out. I knew I should have just ordered it and not waited for wife approval. Better to ask forgiveness than permission, right? :suicide:

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
I just upgraded my gaming / loungeroom rig and I'm planning on using the spare parts (motherboard, CPU & RAM) to setup a home server.

Only problem is my motherboard only has 3 SATA 1 slots (ASUS M2N68-VM for reference). Any recommendations for an entry level RAID controller with 4 SATA 2 internal connectors?

I've been having a look at Newegg however a number of the $100 - $200 controllers seem to have heaps of bad reviews complaining about hardware incompatibility, software instability etc.

Do we have a goon endorsed brand or model of hardware RAID controller?

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
I just upgraded the hardware in my file server today to something a bit better. The old hardware was a spare board/processor that someone sent me for free (Asus M2N32 Deluxe and a Phenom X4 9950 that didn't overclock at all). Here is the new hardware:

Asus KGPE-D16 Dual G34 socket motherboard
2x Opteron 6134 8-core G34 Magny-Cours
16x 4 gb DDR3 Kingston (64gb total)
2x Dynatron A6 coolers

I got the above list for $800 shipped to my door. Everything else is kept the same. It has 3x 30gb Seagate Cheetah 10k SAS drives (OS), 7x 1tb Hitachi (RAID 10 w/ hot spare) and 9x 2tb Hitachi (RAID 6). This gives me 14tb on the main array and 3tb on the backup array/iSCSI target. The RAID controller is the Intel SRCSASBB8I (rebranded LSI 8708EM2), which is hooked into a HP SAS Expander, which connects to the backplanes. This is powered by a Corsair HX620w, which will eventually be upgraded. For network, it has two Intel gigabit NICs and I've added two Intel CT PCIe gigabit NICs as well. The entire thing is housed in a Norco 4020, which is currently sitting in a HP 42u 4-post enclosed rack.

If you know the power supply or see in the pictures, I have a really odd cable that goes from the power supply to the motherboard. I had to make a custom 6pin PCIe connector to 8 pin ATX CPU connector. Otherwise, I'd have to buy a new power supply, and I really didn't want to do that yet.

Finally, I've heard this mentioned before, but I literally do not understand the word "overkill". If anyone could help me here, I'd really appreciate it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

thideras posted:

Finally, I've heard this mentioned before, but I literally do not understand the word "overkill". If anyone could help me here, I'd really appreciate it.

It's a myth and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

thideras posted:

If you know the power supply or see in the pictures, I have a really odd cable that goes from the power supply to the motherboard. I had to make a custom 6pin PCIe connector to 8 pin ATX CPU connector. Otherwise, I'd have to buy a new power supply, and I really didn't want to do that yet.

Er, what? That 6 pin connector is for a video card. Were you missing the 8pin atx breakout cable or something?

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Longinus00 posted:

Er, what? That 6 pin connector is for a video card.
Exactly, that is why I had to make a custom cable. The power supply has one 8pin ATX CPU cable and the motherboard needs two to function. Both the PCIe 6 pin and ATX CPU 8 pin have 12v and ground. All I had to do is double up two of the connections to give me 8 wires. So, instead of running a video card off that port, I'm running a processor. It can't tell the difference and the cable works perfectly. :)

I know that you think it is insane, but there is nothing electrically wrong with doing it.

thideras fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 15, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

thideras posted:

Exactly, that is why I had to make a custom cable. The power supply has one 8pin ATX CPU cable and the motherboard needs two to function. Both the PCIe 6 pin and ATX CPU 8 pin have 12v and ground. All I had to do is double up two of the connections to give me 8 wires. So, instead of running a video card off that port, I'm running a processor. It can't tell the difference and the cable works perfectly. :)

I know that you think it is insane, but there is nothing electrically wrong with doing it.

Okay that makes more sense. I'm just glad you didn't try to plug the PCIe 6+2 cable into the ATX 8pin slot.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Longinus00 posted:

Okay that makes more sense. I'm just glad you didn't try to plug the PCIe 6+2 cable into the ATX 8pin slot.
That would certainly require a lot of force and would kill the board instantly! :downs:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

UndyingShadow posted:

Just did this. I understand I need a better NIC for Freenas. What's a good and cheap option?

EDIT: Is this good?
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033

According to the internet that has the 82574L controller. Based on a post previous page the em(4) driver is not supported on the 82574L, but the 82574 and other controllers. Whether or not the L means anything I have no clue.

Anyways, I think this NIC uses the 82574 controller and is only like 5 bucks more expensive.

Might want to wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to pipe up before going hog wild though.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

DNova posted:

Just came back up!!! Nabbed one!

Ugh, this was the perfect storm. Newegg had 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4's for $40 off today so I went ahead and picked up the drives I needed as well. Looking forward to getting this sucker set up although I'm starting to worry where in god's name I'll put it.

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 15, 2012

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Prefect Six posted:

Just came back up!!! Nabbed one!

Ugh, this was the perfect storm. Newegg had 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4's for $40 off today so I went ahead and picked up the drives I needed as well. Looking forward to getting this sucker set up although I'm starting to worry where in god's name I'll put it.

Down again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Galler posted:

It's a myth and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Agreed but still, that's some serious loving hardware. Thideras, what are you running on that monster?

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Agreed but still, that's some serious loving hardware. Thideras, what are you running on that monster?
It does basic file serving, backups, iSCSI target (for the x3650s), and virtual machines. There are a few VMs on it that are crucial (security camera recording, virtual machines for friends, testing work programs in different environments, etc), but most of it is for me to play around. "Playing around" includes trying different operating systems (host OS is CentOS 6.2), running an entire Windows domain on one computer, rendering video/audio, and a few other uses that I can't think off the top of my head. To go along with this server, I have two Dell Poweredge 2650s (Pentium 4), one of which is an Icinga monitoring server and database backend (the other is off). I also have two IBM x3650s, with dual E5430s (2.66GHz Core2Quad) and 8gb RAM each. Picture

Now that I have a lot more RAM/CPU for the file server, I can add a bunch more VMs. What I'll add, I don't know; but I'll find a use eventually. The deal was too good to pass up. I'm sure it may seem silly that I have all this hardware and don't "store the internet" on it, but I have fun doing what I do and learn a ton from just playing around. As I find services that make my network run better or that are useful, I keep them as a permanent addition. I know that my next personal project is to write reviews on individual NAS operating systems and do a comparison between them. I'd also like to get short "How to" guides created, but that might take a bit longer.

Guess that makes me a server addict. But, man, do these hits feel good. :unsmith:

thideras fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 15, 2012

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

thideras posted:

I just upgraded the hardware in my file server today to something a bit better. The old hardware was a spare board/processor that someone sent me for free (Asus M2N32 Deluxe and a Phenom X4 9950 that didn't overclock at all). Here is the new hardware:

Asus KGPE-D16 Dual G34 socket motherboard
2x Opteron 6134 8-core G34 Magny-Cours
16x 4 gb DDR3 Kingston (64gb total)
2x Dynatron A6 coolers

I got the above list for $800 shipped to my door. Everything else is kept the same. It has 3x 30gb Seagate Cheetah 10k SAS drives (OS), 7x 1tb Hitachi (RAID 10 w/ hot spare) and 9x 2tb Hitachi (RAID 6). This gives me 14tb on the main array and 3tb on the backup array/iSCSI target. The RAID controller is the Intel SRCSASBB8I (rebranded LSI 8708EM2), which is hooked into a HP SAS Expander, which connects to the backplanes. This is powered by a Corsair HX620w, which will eventually be upgraded. For network, it has two Intel gigabit NICs and I've added two Intel CT PCIe gigabit NICs as well. The entire thing is housed in a Norco 4020, which is currently sitting in a HP 42u 4-post enclosed rack.

How did you get such a sweet deal on all that hardware - seems like the motherboard and 1 CPU alone should be $1000. I also would not have been able to pass up on that deal. Good catch :)

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

roadhead posted:

How did you get such a sweet deal on all that hardware - seems like the motherboard and 1 CPU alone should be $1000. I also would not have been able to pass up on that deal. Good catch :)
I purchased it off my "home forum". The user said he had "planned to do major hosting" with it, but used Amazon AWS instead. As soon as I saw it posted, I jumped on it. It just so happens that I was looking at this exact setup a few months prior for my server, but decided against it due to cost.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I currently have 3 x 500gb harddrives in a Raid 5 array as storage drive in my desktop. Once the prices drop back down on drives, I would like to expand the array. If I wanted to start using larger drives to make the array larger (1tb, 2tb+), what would be the way I'd go about moving my files over to the new drives? I think I have 3 SATA ports left on my mobo to plug the new drives in and I could just drag and drop the files onto the new drives, but I don't know if my PSU can handle that much more power draw or if it's the correct way to copy the files over.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Doh004 posted:

I currently have 3 x 500gb harddrives in a Raid 5 array as storage drive in my desktop. Once the prices drop back down on drives, I would like to expand the array. If I wanted to start using larger drives to make the array larger (1tb, 2tb+), what would be the way I'd go about moving my files over to the new drives? I think I have 3 SATA ports left on my mobo to plug the new drives in and I could just drag and drop the files onto the new drives, but I don't know if my PSU can handle that much more power draw or if it's the correct way to copy the files over.

Does your motherboard raid support expanding the current array?

If so, you can expand the array one drive at a time. Pull one out, put the new drive in, let it rebuild, repeat for second drive, then third drive, then expand the array to use the full amount of drive space.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 15, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Three hard drives won't take more than 30W on the PSU. Unless you're already running stupidly tight on power, your system can handle temporarily running six hard drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

IT Guy posted:

Does your motherboard raid support expanding the current array?

If so, you can expand the array one drive at a time. Pull one out, put the new drive in, let it rebuild, repeat for second drive, then third drive, then expand the array to use the full amount of drive space.

Oh! I didn't know you could have drives of different sizes within the same array. I have this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131346

Also, I didn't know harddrives took so little power, that's good to know :)