Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Charlie Mopps posted:

Pretty much everyone praises the game from start until the last 10 minutes. Or well, i guess the beginning on Earth gets some deserved criticism, but starting on Mars its, in my opinion, one amazing ride.

Yeah. There are a few niggling complaints (lovely sidequest UI, that loving kid, the guy from Deus Ex), but aside from the ending it's one of the best games I've played for a while. But the ending stinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Which gives you more war assets from the Hanar Diplomat quest, the Hanar homeworld or the SPECTREs?

The save file I imported didn't have the Kasumi so I can't get both.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
So I got the Mass Effect Datapad app installed and it is already awesome. I hooked it up to my Origin account, and it pulled the quests I'd done yesterday and sent emails from the characters about them. So cool (then again, I am a big nerd).

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
So bummed that the app isn't compatible with my 2nd generation iPod touch :(

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I'm bummed that there is no Android version of the app yet. :(

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

THE PWNER posted:

I finally gave up and bought this game and have been very surprised with how much i'm enjoying it considering that I let the negative press make me hate it from the beginning.

I was really impressed with the citadel compared to ME2, so much to do - I spent like an hour just running around talking to people - until Kasumi's quest bugged out on me (the second terminal just isn't there) and now i'm feeling all spergy and almost want to restart just so I can do things ~perfectly~. Anyone mind spoiling what I lose out on if I don't do that quest or possibly if theres some workaround for this bug?
Aside from a lovely re-occuring child and the ending ME3 is pretty amazing.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

THE PWNER posted:

I finally gave up and bought this game and have been very surprised with how much i'm enjoying it considering that I let the negative press make me hate it from the beginning.

I was really impressed with the citadel compared to ME2, so much to do - I spent like an hour just running around talking to people - until Kasumi's quest bugged out on me (the second terminal just isn't there) and now i'm feeling all spergy and almost want to restart just so I can do things ~perfectly~. Anyone mind spoiling what I lose out on if I don't do that quest or possibly if theres some workaround for this bug?

Citadel does get buggy. I've had a couple of instances where the NPCs won't load and you're talking to air and every mission with finding consoles are buggy. Reloading the game helps put the consoles on the minimap, which helps.

Considering the depth that the place has in terms of missions and scripting, I'm actually surprised it wasn't more buggy.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
I decided to play some multiplayer yesterday to up my Galactic Readiness. Unlocked a Drell adept and couldn't stop playing for like 3 hours. Just running around spin kicking the poo poo out of everything.

Thessia question: I didn't understand why Thessia became such an emotional thing for the characters. We just listened to the prothean ghost thing for like 10 minutes. Anime assassin shows up and copies the data for himself in like 2 minutes. Why didn't we just copy it when we found it? Then we get back to the ship and everyone is all pissed about cerberus getting the data and how Thessia fell and it's all our fault. Getting the data wouldn't have ended the reaper invasion on Thessia so I don't understand what everyone is so upset about. Place was hosed from the get go.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Icesler posted:

I decided to play some multiplayer yesterday to up my Galactic Readiness. Unlocked a Drell adept and couldn't stop playing for like 3 hours. Just running around spin kicking the poo poo out of everything.

Thessia question: I didn't understand why Thessia became such an emotional thing for the characters. We just listened to the prothean ghost thing for like 10 minutes. Anime assassin shows up and copies the data for himself in like 2 minutes. Why didn't we just copy it when we found it? Then we get back to the ship and everyone is all pissed about cerberus getting the data and how Thessia fell and it's all our fault. Getting the data wouldn't have ended the reaper invasion on Thessia so I don't understand what everyone is so upset about. Place was hosed from the get go.

My guess is that except for Earth, they had fixed every homeworld so far, relatively speaking. Palaven wasn't going down without a fight, Tuchanka was fixed (unless you were an rear end in a top hat), and one way or another, the war for Rannoch was resolved. So this is the first major homeworld that Shepard saw dying and there was nothing they could do to fix it, AND they just lost out on the information about the Catalyst.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Icesler posted:

Not saying it's good logic, but they take it so hard because they only needed the Catalyst to complete the Crucible. If they had gotten the data, they could have spared most of the damage by using the Crucible fairly quickly after that. But since they have to go after Cerberus then, millions are dying on Thessia.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

The game is awesome. All the parts that involve gameplay is awesome. The emotions and rewards you get from the previous games are awesome.

It's the last 10 minutes that fall flat. It's not enough to break the whole series for me like for some other people, but it's still a sour taste.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Probably already posted, but here's a better picture of (character spoiler) sex-bot EDI...
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/1QSf2.png:nws:

Good lord.

Why would a robot have a cameltoe?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Crows Turn Off posted:

Probably already posted, but here's a better picture of (character spoiler) sex-bot EDI...
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/1QSf2.png:nws:

Good lord.

Why would a robot have a cameltoe?

Because everytime Bioware tries to be progressive when it comes to gender in video games they feel they need to take a step backwards and instead reinforce every negative stereotype.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Decius posted:

Bosses? Tanking? You're sure you're playing ME 3? Because there is no tanking and there is maybe one single enemy that's something like a boss-fight (mid-game spoiler) Anime-Assassin Kai Leng

I'm talking about the brutes, the banshees and those Cerberus mechs. There's no clever method to beating them; just shoot it for a long time until it dies.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm talking about the brutes, the banshees and those Cerberus mechs. There's no clever method to beating them; just shoot it for a long time until it dies.

Actually, Atlases, shoot for the cockpit. If you can kill the pilot before destroying it, you can take the Atlas for your own personal joyride.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Without giving out a spoiler, is there a point where I'm told when I will be going to the last mission and I have no more time to do anything else? I don't want to miss anything before the end of the game.

VVV Thanks.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 13, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Without giving out a spoiler, is there a point where I'm told when I will be going to the last mission like in ME2? I don't want to miss anything before the end of the game.

Yes. It will be very very obvious.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What the - an anime?

Is that a vorcha?

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Icesler posted:

Because Thessia is the first planet Shepard and the crew have to deal with actually losing. Palaven and Earth are both hit hard, but they go through a lot of work to actually bring forces to them and defend them. They haven't given up on those planets and lost them yet, the fight for them is still ongoing.

Thessia is lost. There's no fight for it anymore. It's over.

And I hope you can understand why this would be even harder for Liara to accept, and by association Shepard if he's romancing Liara.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Quick question about calling people up to the captain's cabin. Where is the intercom, exactly? I haven't found it yet leading into Priority: Tuchanka, and I feel like my poo poo might be bugged. I might also just still be too early in the game to use it, so it's just non-interactive. I'm not sure!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

bobtheconqueror posted:

Quick question about calling people up to the captain's cabin. Where is the intercom, exactly? I haven't found it yet leading into Priority: Tuchanka, and I feel like my poo poo might be bugged. I might also just still be too early in the game to use it, so it's just non-interactive. I'm not sure!

It's next to the private terminal in your quarters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think it is the private terminal in the cabin, but it doesn't light up for invites unless they've been triggered. And you have to go through them in order. A bunch of people wanted to talk to me, for example, and I had to go through them Traynor, Allers, Liara, etc.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Well, it seems like the majority opinion from people who have finished the game is "game's great, ending sucked," which I agree with. I loved everything except the ending(s). They leave so many loose threads and unanswered but simple questions when it's all done, not to mention that they basically just recycled more than half of the pre-rendered footage across the various endings but with different accent colours. I didn't have a huge issue with Shepard dying, depending on which ending you choose, but the fact that they basically take away the meaning of any choices you've made up to that point and then just hand you (mostly) the same brief pre-rendered CG for all of the endings is a pretty damned lackluster and lazy way of closing out these games. Did it ruin the series for me? No, but it's extremely disappointing when you compare the ending to pretty much everything before it. I don't know if they rushed to finish the game or if someone thought that was seriously a "deep and thought provoking" way to end it all, but it seems more like a slap in the face to all of the series' fans.

But whatever, it's over now and, as far as we know, there's nothing left to come for Mass Effect except maybe some DLC. At least everything leading up to those last minutes was enjoyable.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Aristobulus posted:

Because Thessia is the first planet Shepard and the crew have to deal with actually losing. Palaven and Earth are both hit hard, but they go through a lot of work to actually bring forces to them and defend them. They haven't given up on those planets and lost them yet, the fight for them is still ongoing.

Thessia is lost. There's no fight for it anymore. It's over.

And I hope you can understand why this would be even harder for Liara to accept, and by association Shepard if he's romancing Liara.

Except it's totally bogus. It was just being invaded, whereas other planets (including Earth) had been under attack since the beginning of the game or before that specific point and were still holding out without extra forces. The entire thing was to create a fake sense of drama, the whole "we have to listen to the bad guy explain his plans instead of actually killing him and going about our business" theme.

And, despite your statement, no one extra was on Earth when the Reapers invaded, and no one was helping out Earth to slow down the Reapers except what was already on the planet. All those forces you gathered were doing jack squat on that front

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

nessin posted:

Except it's totally bogus. It was just being invaded, whereas other planets (including Earth) had been under attack since the beginning of the game and were still holding out. The entire thing was to create a fake sense of drama, the whole "we have to listen to the bad guy explain his plans instead of actually killing him and going about our business" theme.

And, despite your statement, no one extra was on Earth when the Reapers invaded, and no one was helping out Earth to slow down the Reapers except what was already on the planet. All those forces you gathered were doing jack squat on that front

I get your point, but here's something you're missing. Shepard is still actively building a fleet to go retake Earth, not Thessia. Earth might be just as lost as Thessia is, except there's a strong push being made for an effort to go retake it. Thessia just has to accept that its' only hope is just being one of the many planets retaken if the war is won at Earth, there's nothing specific being done to save or retake it.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

Actually, Atlases, shoot for the cockpit. If you can kill the pilot before destroying it, you can take the Atlas for your own personal joyride.

I've tried that, but it never works. Do you need to use a sniper rifle or something? My Scorpion sticky grenades just do damage to the whole thing, even when I fire them at the window.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, I haven't tried yet, but you probably need something powerful like a sniper or heavy rifle/pistol with normal (non-explosive) rounds and the cover-penetrating mod.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CaptainCarrot posted:

I've tried that, but it never works. Do you need to use a sniper rifle or something? My Scorpion sticky grenades just do damage to the whole thing, even when I fire them at the window.
And my spike thrower spikes just stick in the canopy! Lame-o!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

nessin posted:

Except it's totally bogus. It was just being invaded, whereas other planets (including Earth) had been under attack since the beginning of the game or before that specific point and were still holding out without extra forces. The entire thing was to create a fake sense of drama, the whole "we have to listen to the bad guy explain his plans instead of actually killing him and going about our business" theme.

It's the first time in 3 games where Shepard has failed at something utterly and completely. There was no well at least we accomplished this. Just straight up you lost the Prothean VI and because of that gently caress up billions of people are going to die in the very immediate future as a direct result of that action as well as postponing the invasion of earth costing even more lives. Not to mention the whole war effort was hinging on this singular piece of information that you failed to get.

In the context of the character and what he's done throughout the course of the series it makes sense that he would take that mission exceptionally hard all things considered.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah, I usually aim for the cockpit and I've only ever broken the glass with a sniper rifle. When I shot the pilot out the Atlas exploded. Do I just have to switch weapons and kill the pilot with something that won't destroy it, or what?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I'm ok with the overall theme of the endings. I think the problem is that they don't flesh anything out. The ending just raises more questions than it answers.
To me it would be like if frodo throws the ring into mount doom, and then they cut to gandalf in a cave with aragorn, and aragorn just looks at gandalf and shrugs.
How did they get in this cave? What are they going to do now? Did frodo's actions actually solve anything or even have an effect on anyone?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Ok, I guess I'll pile on about the ending.

I loved, LOVED the entire game right up until the ending. All the decisions I made in the previous games made an impact. I was able to broker a peace between the quarians and the geth, Wrex was kicking rear end as the new Krogan leader. Maelon's data enabled me to cure the genophage, etc. I do wish some of the decisions I made in ME and ME2 had a bigger impact. The Rachni for instance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all that got me was some extra workers on the Crucible.

Now, my problem is not just with the last ten minutes, although I feel robbed and stolen. It pretty much started when we we're headed to earth.

Joker goes down the list of fleets reporting in. At that point, I wanted everybody I knew to report in. The quarian admirals, Wrex, the Geth, etc. Instead, Joker just named them quickly, you saw one or two shots from the other ships, and that was it.

I could've lived with that. But then, everything I ever did in the previous games, everything that was supposed to culminate in an ending tailored to the way I played it, was flushed down the toilet. The consequences of brokering a peace between the Geth and the quarians? The revival of the krogans? loving anything at all???

And all three endings are exactly the same, save for a different colour shockwave coming from the Citadel. And the relays are destroyed no matter what I do. And what the gently caress was going on with the Normandy? I figured they crash landed on earth, since they were close when they dropped me off. And what the gently caress was Javik doing on the Normandy? He was running toward the transport beam on Earth with me.

The ending really reminded me of BS:G, and to a lesser degree, Deus Ex Revolution and Bioshock. Those last two games pretended like choices matter, and then proceed not to show me what the consequences of my choices end up being.

I'll probably play through the game again, but it has surely left a foul taste in my mouth. How the gently caress do you create such a fantastic game with epic encounters (reaper/thresher maw, solo'ing the reaper on Rannoch, etc, etc, etc) and then give everybody the same bland ending?

Maybe this is the cynic in me, but I somehow suspect they did this to leave the whole ME universe wide open for future installments. But if wrapping up an epic scifi trilogy seemed less important than giving themselves options for future games, gently caress Bioware and gently caress EA. Well, always gently caress EA a little more, but Bioware is not without blame in this.

I read the alternate ending yesterday, and that seemed much better than the bullshit I was force-fed Sunday night when I finished the game.

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

"We did something this year that was not based on animosity."
Is cryo ammo any good?It looks like a fun alternative to incendiary,but I remember it being absolutely terrible in ME2.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

LobsterTick posted:

Is cryo ammo any good?It looks like a fun alternative to incendiary,but I remember it being absolutely terrible in ME2.
It's the classic "damage vs crowd-control" discussion. I'm too scatter-brained to remember "oh right, there's a frozen dude over there that I need to deal with after these guys" so I stick with my incendiary. Frozen enemies are really fun when you're a vanguard; adds some more zazz to your charges!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I started using Cryo in my pistols while keeping Incendiary in my shotguns and that seemed to work well. You can freeze much more stuff in this game, and the cryo effect slows down even things that have defenses, so once you get a lucky hit on somthing at a distance it can't get away from future hits. I didn't find it that effective in my shotguns compared to fire, though, probably because the fiery flailing distraction better for controlling enemy retaliation.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Sky Shadowing posted:

Holy crap. Had no idea.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Citadel does get buggy. I've had a couple of instances where the NPCs won't load and you're talking to air and every mission with finding consoles are buggy. Reloading the game helps put the consoles on the minimap, which helps.

Considering the depth that the place has in terms of missions and scripting, I'm actually surprised it wasn't more buggy.

My saves just entirely screwed for this paticular quest, I googled and apparently it's a bug that can happen if you leave the citadel after using the first terminal without using any others. So yeah, watch out for that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Holy crap. Had no idea.

What really pissed me off about the ability to ride Atlases was in the Hangar from TIM's HQ, after you shoot a fighter into the base and at least two Atlases come after you. I managed to get both of them destroyed and cleared out all the enemies and turned around and right loving behind me was an unoccupied Atlas that had been there the whole time. :negative:

That might be more an issue with the map than the enemy, though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Count Choculitis posted:

So I got the Mass Effect Datapad app installed and it is already awesome. I hooked it up to my Origin account, and it pulled the quests I'd done yesterday and sent emails from the characters about them. So cool (then again, I am a big nerd).

Just make sure you don't use the "Galaxy at War"-part. It is yet another microtransaction game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

What the - an anime?

Is that a vorcha?

It's Production IG working it - of Ghost in the Shell fame - so it might not be all that bad.

• Locked thread