Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Liesmith posted:

Never apologize. Stand tall. Instead of saying you are sorry, try saying "shut up S.J. Did you know that Ork weapons work becuase they believe it really hard?"

My one weakness :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ork axes do not work in the hands of a non-ork.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Penguingo posted:

Ork axes do not work in the hands of a non-ork.

Well they work but you take a -30 to your WS

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
What happens if a Digga wields an Ork weapon? In addition can a Digga use a shoota as well as an Ork by getting really excited and yelling "dakka dakka" and believing that making lots of noise will make it shootier?

What I'm asking is, why is there no Gorkamorka supplement for Rogue Trader yet?

that ostrich
Jul 18, 2005

Don't worry, I'm a Media Technician Lead. This shit is on LOCKDOWN.

Angry Diplomat posted:

What happens if a Digga wields an Ork weapon? In addition can a Digga use a shoota as well as an Ork by getting really excited and yelling "dakka dakka" and believing that making lots of noise will make it shootier?

What I'm asking is, why is there no Gorkamorka supplement for Rogue Trader yet?

All you need is Into the Storm and a good GM.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So my first time GMing went well. I scratched together two tacticals, two assaults, a Devestator and an Apothecary. One for each chapter and threw Renown and Requisition out of the window and gave everything something shiny and a few random talents that suited them. It seemed to work better for a one off game to get some newbies into tabletop

A Blood Angel Assault Marine who's specialty was Dual Wielding Chainswords was lifted up by the Space Wolves assault marine. At the edge of his boosted vertical jump range he then proceeded to throw the Blood Angel directly into a Tyranid Warrior.

I didn't even bother rolling for damage :black101:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Solus posted:

So my first time GMing went well. I scratched together two tacticals, two assaults, a Devestator and an Apothecary. One for each chapter and threw Renown and Requisition out of the window and gave everything something shiny and a few random talents that suited them. It seemed to work better for a one off game to get some newbies into tabletop

A Blood Angel Assault Marine who's specialty was Dual Wielding Chainswords was lifted up by the Space Wolves assault marine. At the edge of his boosted vertical jump range he then proceeded to throw the Blood Angel directly into a Tyranid Warrior.

I didn't even bother rolling for damage :black101:

I know the damage formula for that. You roll FUCKdYOU for whatever's on the receiving end. :haw:

I wish more games had as satisfyingly overkilly combat mechanics as Deathwatch. It's like Fantasy Flight Games looked at all the broken dreams of everyone who had played D&D with 1st-level characters, discovered that the game sucked that way, and then sternly vowed, "NO MORE WEAK STARTER CHARACTERS, NEVER AGAIN. :black101: "

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 13, 2012

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I knew there was something broken that after all the Bonuses he had the Devestator was rolling for 90's and under.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
If they are having it too easy, throw shitloads of Eldar at them. :haw: It worked for my DM!

Also, I think something is very very strange with our game because we eat Khorne Berserkers for breakfast in their native element yet we nearly could have been TPKed by a renegade Deathwatch and two Alpha Legionnaires in our last game.

Then again, that probably had to do with the fact that we had the initiative and proper tools for the occasion for the Khorne Berserkers (even despite the tight quarters) whereas the Alpha Legionnaires were waiting to ambush us in an EXTREMELY tight space with deadly melee weapons and a plasma cannon.

Thankfully our Librarian psy-roasted everything inside which didn't hurt them too much but prevented the plasma gunner from getting any shots off since he was occupied with trying to be not on fire. :supaburn:

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solus posted:

I knew there was something broken that after all the Bonuses he had the Devestator was rolling for 90's and under.

there are two ways to deal with this mechanically: make him fight hugely destructive hardasses who swallow up damage like it aint no thing, or make him fight guys who are really hard to hit in positions where he can't get an advantage. This can be tough to balance though because missing all the time is not fun.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I need to remember that our team's Librarian has a big gently caress-off sword powered by his psyker juice and thus I shouldn't be *too* hesitant to send him in with the Assault Marine.

(Sort of ironically our Sanguinary Priest has the lowest killcount out of anyone in our Kill-team.)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Liesmith posted:

there are two ways to deal with this mechanically: make him fight hugely destructive hardasses who swallow up damage like it aint no thing, or make him fight guys who are really hard to hit in positions where he can't get an advantage. This can be tough to balance though because missing all the time is not fun.

He decided to unload on the Hive Tyrant that decided to show up for a couple of rounds before extraction happened. There was some combat earlier but he always rolled quite low for initiative and 2D5 Shrikes isn't really a lot of Shrikes for 6 marines I've found.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Solus posted:

He decided to unload on the Hive Tyrant that decided to show up for a couple of rounds before extraction happened. There was some combat earlier but he always rolled quite low for initiative and 2D5 Shrikes isn't really a lot of Shrikes for 6 marines I've found.

2d5 anythings is not a lot of things for 6 marines, except maybe like greater daemons or daemon princes or other marines or whatever. Space Marines are The Biggest Badasses so if you want to shake them, you'll need to throw a roughly equal number of equally big badasses at them, or a huge number of lesser badasses, or a ridiculously massive number of non-badasses.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
poo poo, forget Space Marines, Ascension-level characters (especially if they're psykers) are much better on the offensive. Our DM is throwing small Hordes at us just to keep us challenged, and as I mentioned in the FATAL and Friends thread, I managed to mindblast a Lord of Change to the point where we have it gently drooling away in our ship's cargo hold.

EDIT: Re-edited my post, because I implied I regularly mindblast Lords of Change :v:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 13, 2012

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Solus posted:

Our Black Crusade group has somebody who has to roll under about 130 to pass deceive/charm checks. It's pretty much reached the point where he needs to get so many degrees of success to be especially successful and the GM has had to rule that no, he can't just ask the Big Bad's men to kindly give themselves up and hand over everything we want, even at Impossible difficulty.
Mundane "Sweet talk past the doorman" checks now only ever come up when the socially inept Heretek is bumbling around on his own and trying to incite a revolution with a Fellowship of 34.

Can't hit anything in combat, can't get words in the right order in any kind of conversation, but if you ever need a door opened...

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CommissarMega posted:

poo poo, forget Space Marines, Ascension-level characters (especially if they're psykers) are much better on the offensive. Our DM is throwing small Hordes at us just to keep us challenged, and as I mentioned in the FATAL and Friends thread, I managed to mindblast a Lord of Change to the point where we have it gently drooling away in o

:hi5: I wish my DM would let me do poo poo like that. Psykers are The Best Bullshit.

OTOH, the gloves have apparently come off in my Ascension game, since we just kicked the poo poo out of a Wraithlord, Farsser, and her retinue. Whelps, time to start abusing my paid powers:v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

that ostrich posted:

All you need is Into the Storm and a good GM.

Creatures Anathema is another great resource.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thanks to everyone who found maps!

Penguingo posted:

Have you tried the first two results for "warhammer 40k map" in google? Not trying to be a dick (much), but I dunno if they're what you're after.

I guess it was. I just got the impression reading Black Crusade that there was a lot more to the setting than just that, but I guess it's all sort of unmapped and left up to us to create, which is fine.

Also Black Crusade is amazing even though its taking me like a month to read.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Glad you like it. How far along are you?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SlothBear posted:

Thanks to everyone who found maps!

I guess it was. I just got the impression reading Black Crusade that there was a lot more to the setting than just that, but I guess it's all sort of unmapped and left up to us to create, which is fine.

Also Black Crusade is amazing even though its taking me like a month to read.

Between the four FFG settings, they've got a pretty well-designed mini-universe.

Way way up in the galactic northwest lies the Calixis Sector, where Dark Heresy is set. It's a fully inhabited Imperial Sector, with a host of worlds and politics and so on and so on, whose chief Scary Thing is the Tyrant Star, a phantom green sun (that may or may not just be eclipses) whose appearances coincide with Wierd poo poo happening.

To the galactic west of the Calixis Sector lies a massive warp storm. A few centuries ago someone found a way through it into the Koronus Expanse, where Rogue Trader is set. Beyond Footfall Station on the opposite end of the Maw, it's the wild frontier. Eldar, Orks, Chaos, and a few dead alien races like the Yu'Vath dwell there, and humanity's most money-grubbing and brightest are alternately fighting, trading, and looting all of them and each other at the same time. Their chief Scary Thing is the Hazeroth Abyss, on the far end of the Expanse, from which only one ship has ever returned.

Hidden within the Maw separating Koronus and Calixis is a warp gate leading across the galaxy to the Jericho Reach, where Deathwatch is set. The Jericho Reach has a big old crusade going on, and is currently a three-front war. Nids to the north, Tau to the south, and a big-ol Gonna Grow Up To Be A Nasty loving Warp Storm Soon in the middle.

And to the galactic southwest of Footfall Station, in the Koronus Expanse, lies the Screaming Vortex where Black Crusade happens. All the Chaos you can shake a stick at, but the Eldar and the Necrons occasionally wander on in to poke each other and also the dread champions of Chaos with sticks.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wrong thread.

Fix fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 13, 2012

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Glad you like it. How far along are you?

Up to the chapter on infamy and corruption and all the amazing mutations you get. The thought of my character turning into like a jello centaur surrounded by fire is really making me wish I was in a regular game.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Heh, awesome. I kind of wish I'd written that. I did "Playing the Game" and the Game Master chapter in that book.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Heh, awesome. I kind of wish I'd written that. I did "Playing the Game" and the Game Master chapter in that book.

Oh, wow, really? Tell me what it was like working for FFG. They seem pretty swell. :allears:

Also, I know that one of the Deathwatch books has rules for portraying massive-scale battlefields and how to give them some sort of physical representation...Think there's any way to violently graft Epic Armageddon onto Deathwatch?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Also, I know that one of the Deathwatch books has rules for portraying massive-scale battlefields and how to give them some sort of physical representation...Think there's any way to violently graft Epic Armageddon onto Deathwatch?

Not really - why would you want that - they're completely different systems, with different scales. In Epic you have great groups of people (including your party) getting killed very easily, or suppressed or just vanishing - it doesn't work with a protagonist-centered game. If you want to play Epic, play Epic, but it's unlikely to gel very well with an actual party system.

Rites of Battle has rules for playing with bigger military assets, calling in things like a squad of Leman Russes (~3 - you'd be looking at 10 or so at an epic level), as well as lance strikes and orbital observation using battlefield requisition. If you want to play DW as part of an epic battlefield conflict, it's much better to stick with the DW rules, and model in-game what's going on around them (in such a way as to make it fun for them) than to 'verisimilitudinously' feel that you've got to model everything.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Not really - why would you want that - they're completely different systems, with different scales. In Epic you have great groups of people (including your party) getting killed very easily, or suppressed or just vanishing - it doesn't work with a protagonist-centered game. If you want to play Epic, play Epic, but it's unlikely to gel very well with an actual party system.

Rites of Battle has rules for playing with bigger military assets, calling in things like a squad of Leman Russes (~3 - you'd be looking at 10 or so at an epic level), as well as lance strikes and orbital observation using battlefield requisition. If you want to play DW as part of an epic battlefield conflict, it's much better to stick with the DW rules, and model in-game what's going on around them (in such a way as to make it fun for them) than to 'verisimilitudinously' feel that you've got to model everything.

I suppose I should mention that I meant to stick a :v: at the end of my question. :P

You're probably right, though. And a map of the battlefield wouldn't matter much unless the players wanted to plot a specific way to get to where they wanted to strike, or if they wanted to commandeer allied units to assist them in the assault in a specific manner.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Find whoever proofreads/spellchecks your stuff, and shoot him- even Nurgle wouldn't approve of such sloppiness :mad: Seriously, while most of your stuff is good, and your rules are loving gold, The Black Sepulchre irritated my OCD something awful.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Find whoever proofreads/spellchecks your stuff, and shoot him- even Nurgle wouldn't approve of such sloppiness :mad: Seriously, while most of your stuff is good, and your rules are loving gold, The Black Sepulchre irritated my OCD something awful.

Sigh... I have nothing to do with editing/proofreading, and this is one of the most common complaints with gamers. Did you ever follow my "Ask me about writing in the games industry" thread? We had a discussion about the ins and outs of game editing in there. Suffice it to say, it's never going to get better.

InfiniteJesters posted:

Oh, wow, really? Tell me what it was like working for FFG. They seem pretty swell.

FFG is one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Seriously, they're among the best in the business.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 14, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sigh... I have nothing to do with editing/proofreading, and this is one of the most common complaints with gamers. Did you ever follow my "Ask me about writing in the games industry" thread? We had a discussion about the ins and outs of game editing in there. Suffice it to say, it's never going to get better.

:blush: I'm afraid I don't, sorry. And don;t worry, it's no big deal- Exalted's got some of the most grammatically correct sourcebooks I know of, but the fluff and rules can sometimes be just :stare: Minor spelling inconveniences are just something I like to quibble and vent about.

FFG is one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Seriously, they're among the best in the business.

Hah :) ! It's nice to see they're as great to work with as their stuff is great to game with!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Please tell me someone out there is working on an Ork book. I'm winging it pretty hardcore on my CYOA but it's a ton of fun.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Please tell me someone out there is working on an Ork book. I'm winging it pretty hardcore on my CYOA but it's a ton of fun.

Allow me to refer you to my fifty page Non-Disclosure Agreement that's dense with legalese and festooned with the sigils of the Ruinous Powers...

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Post once for yes and twice for no.

Allow me to refer you to my fifty page Non-Disclosure Agreement that's dense with legalese and festooned with the sigils of the Ruinous Powers...
So we'll take that as a yes?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aww come on, it's only your soul.

Have the guy who may/may not be doing it check out my CYOA and tell me all the things I'm doing wrong.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

For what it's worth I liked the Game Master section too! Not your fault it didn't involve mutating into a jello centaur.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Did you ever follow my "Ask me about writing in the games industry" thread? We had a discussion about the ins and outs of game editing in there. Suffice it to say, it's never going to get better.

I wish to see this, please!

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

I wish to see this, please!

First result on Google.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420026&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also, has anyone had a look at that new Deathwatch book yet? Is it any good? When I saw the increased length and the higher price tag, I had a sudden moment of hope that it would be another 'here's some weird setting stuff, go wild' book like DotDG - worth getting?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Look the section about you being reduced to a gibbering pile of mouths wailing for a death that will not come is -clearly- just standard legal boilerplate.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Can you give us even the vaguest idea when Honour the Chapter will be released? Or if it has rad stuff for Black Templars?

Or will Slaanesh rip out your soul through your balls if you say any of this?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anything you can tell us about Soul Reaver or Black Crusade's Tzeentch expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
How about an update on Only War? Right now it seems like it should be renamed to Only Delays.