Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

smarion2 posted:

It is known. It's official fellas the book is never coming out. Burn the thread.
Don't worry. GRRM will soon merge with a tree and thus prolong his lifespan by many decades. Which he'll spend watching football, updating his blog and releasing more Wild Card books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

He also talked about angry and impatient fans, and how he sympathizes because he had to wait 8-9 months for The Two Towers to come out as a kid.

He implies Wow will be a shorter wait than both Dance and Feast.

This loving guy.

What is so hard to believe about this? He supposedly has most of it written already since he shifted a bunch of chapters out of Dance to it. I am thinking this year, early next year tops.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

el_brio posted:

What is so hard to believe about this? He supposedly has most of it written already since he shifted a bunch of chapters out of Dance to it. I am thinking this year, early next year tops.

You know nothing, el_brio.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Assuming 1 GRRM year = 6 real years:

(x<6) • 6 = any time less than 36 years.

The thing about GRRM years is that GRRM is unaware of their disconnect between real years. It's easy to see why:

Thanks to his higher mass, time bends around him in accordance with the theory of relativity. Gravitational time dilation says that the closer an object is to the source of gravity, the slower time will flow. Since GRRM creates his own super dense gravitational field due to his excessive weight, time simply flows much slower for him than it does us. Tony Danza has given us the basic rate of dilation above: one GRRM year is equal to six real years.

This explains GRRM's continued bewilderment at his fans' anger over the wait time between books. To him he's right on schedule. He got ADWD done in a year. Thanks to the time dilation, though, that was six of our years.

Most maddening of all is the fact that while we are all aging at our normal speed, GRRM will appear to be almost frozen in time, aging slowly and never changing. While we grow old and waste, GRRM will stay rotund and red-faced. Long after we are all of us dead, he will continue to write, protected in his time bubble.

Guys, better start procreating now. Completing ASOIAF is going to have to be a generational goal.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm sure my great-great........grandchild will really enjoy the Jon is still alive reveal we all know is coming.

And many eons after that, their descendants will be enthralled by Dany finally doing something.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

This also explains how he stays so fat, he eats as regular people do, but the time dialation slows his metabolism down to 1/6th of a regular person, thus he accumulates mass, further dialating time. Wait, we are assuming a constant rate, but the disconnect should actually be increasing as he gains mass!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Cervixalot posted:

Heard GRRM doing an interview on NPR last night, and holy God, the man says Yuge and Yuman and other awful dropped H pronounciations. His worst crime against Yumanity, as far as I'm concerned.

coolHwip

We should lobby Family Guy to do a gurm episode.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

This also explains how he stays so fat, he eats as regular people do, but the time dialation slows his metabolism down to 1/6th of a regular person, thus he accumulates mass, further dialating time. Wait, we are assuming a constant rate, but the disconnect should actually be increasing as he gains mass!
How long will it be before he collapses into a singularity and then consumes the Earth? Let's hope it will happen after WoW has been released.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

el_brio posted:

:goonsay:

:allears:

also: "supposedly"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Fog Tripper posted:

We should lobby Family Guy to do a gurm episode.

Gee Lois, remember when GRRM and Mr. T fart poop walrus hitler Mork and Mindy?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Gee Lois, remember when GRRM and Mr. T fart poop walrus hitler Mork and Mindy?

It literally writes itself. I could totally see Stewie reading asoiaf.
(or Brian trying to read it while Stewie keeps dropping spoilers.)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Somebody posted this in the TVIV thread about a Q&A with Martin yesterday:

Amish Retard posted:

He also read from what I think is the first chapter (not the one posted on his website) of Winds of WInter which was about Victarion and the horn - he was giving instructions to his thralls about blowing it during the battle.
Is it just me or is this actual new (and great, because Victarion :swoon:) news?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Cervixalot posted:

If you believe that GRRM really did have writer's block regarding the gap in time, it's entirely possible it comes out in the next 18 months. That's considering he stops travelling around getting his ego stoked long enough to put a pen to paper, though. Plus, even though his editors and publishers clearly cower to him, HBO probably won't have any of that poo poo. They have enough problems with Larry David.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Arms_Akimbo posted:

If you believe that GRRM really did have writer's block regarding the gap in time, it's entirely possible it comes out in the next 18 months. That's considering he stops travelling around getting his ego stoked long enough to put a pen to paper, though. Plus, even though his editors and publishers clearly cower to him, HBO probably won't have any of that poo poo. They have enough problems with Larry David.
What will HBO do? Sue him? And they have another 3 books to adapt anyway even if we assume they'll get that far in the series, so it's not as if they need WoW soon.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Factor_VIII posted:

What will HBO do? Sue him? And they have another 3 books to adapt anyway even if we assume they'll get that far in the series, so it's not as if they need WoW soon.

Assuming Storm becomes 2 seasons, winds of winter needs to start filming roughly 4 years from today. Which means 5 for dream of spring. Pre-production deduct maybe six months.

So he has about 4.5 years to hand HBO A Dream of Spring.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Assuming Storm becomes 2 seasons, winds of winter needs to start filming roughly 4 years from today. Which means 5 for dream of spring. Pre-production deduct maybe six months.
Weren't there talks to shoot the two seasons back to back if they were going to split Storm?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Toplowtech posted:

Weren't there talks to shoot the two seasons back to back if they were going to split Storm?

Right. But you'd still film storm in summer 2012 to early 13, dance/feast mashup for 2 seasons filming in 2014/15. Winds 2016. Spring 2017.

So to get into pre-production, a dream of spring would have to be in HBO's hands by early 2017 at the latest.

So, GRRM has 5 years give or take some months to write BOTH books.

So let the actors do promos, George, and you try loving writing something you fucker.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 13, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You really think AFFC/ADWD can make two full seasons? How?

Also Gurm will never finish the books. And he drat sure won't do it in 2. He's been spinning his wheels for 11 years, he has no idea where the story is going.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

You really think AFFC/ADWD can make two full seasons? How?

They'll make it work.

I predict lots and lots of extra naked lady scenes. And tons of Jaime and his awkward Brienne boners scenes.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Whats more awkward: a brienne-induced hot tub boner, or a school bus vibration induced boner as you pull into the yard and have to shuffle off single file

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bigmcgaffney posted:

Whats more awkward: a brienne-induced hot tub boner, or a school bus vibration induced boner as you pull into the yard and have to shuffle off single file

School bus. I can hide my massive donger in a soapy shameful tub, but not in shorts.

I've got giants blood in me. :smug:

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Cervixalot posted:

He also talked about angry and impatient fans, and how he sympathizes because he had to wait 8-9 months for The Two Towers to come out as a kid.

He implies Wow will be a shorter wait than both Dance and Feast.

This loving guy.

"8-9 Months wahhhh! :qq:"

gently caress you, Gurm. gently caress you.

Edit: Tolkien was actually dedicated to his work. 8-9 months is the timeline of an actual working writer. 5+ years is the timeline of a hobbyist who writes between football/convention jerk off sessions. Mad bro.

Mediant fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 13, 2012

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Tony Danza Claus posted:

School bus. I can hide my massive donger in a soapy shameful tub, but not in shorts.

I've got giants blood in me. :smug:

Is this "back in the day" or do you find yourself frequently accosted by cops when you disembark (alternatively pretend a reddit joke is here)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mediant posted:

"8-9 Months wahhhh! :qq:"

gently caress you, Gurm. gently caress you.

Edit: Tolkien was actually dedicated to his work. 8-9 months is the timeline of an actual working writer. 5+ years is the timeline of a hobbyist who writes between football/convention jerk off sessions. Mad bro.

Didn't Tolkien delivery the entire book (trilogy) in completed form? They only split it due to the amount of paper they would have to use.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bigmcgaffney posted:

Is this "back in the day" or do you find yourself frequently accosted by cops when you disembark (alternatively pretend a reddit joke is here)

Well he said school bus, so I assumed he meant me as a kid.

Also, I have my own truck, I don't use public transportation. :smug:

Also, driving vibrations don't give me an erection. Only Jaime/Brienne shipper-fic can. :smuggo:

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

I know blatant sarcasm when I see it. :smug:

Heh. Just kidding. I am familiar with the work habits of the Absolute Fucker. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was already starting to think about this year's NFL season. On the positive side, he will probably die soon and Brandon Sanderson will finish things up with a whimper (with a hard H like Cool Whip).

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Well he said school bus, so I assumed he meant me as a kid.

Also, I have my own truck, I don't use public transportation. :smug:

Also, driving vibrations don't give me an erection. Only Jaime/Brienne shipper-fic can. :smuggo:

Public transportation sucks. Too many cheapskates and losers. Especially in Chicago. Every time I get on the bus or train in the winter I always have some degenerate coughing up a lung on one side and a fat bastard eating a bucket of KFC on the other. No erections either. I used to work downtown and rode a bike to work 9 months a year. Better to freeze your rear end of in the rain than get on an eastbound CTA bus at Western Ave.

el_brio fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 13, 2012

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

geeves posted:

Didn't Tolkien delivery the entire book (trilogy) in completed form? They only split it due to the amount of paper they would have to use.

GRRM mentioned something about a delay in bringing each book from the UK over to America.

el_brio posted:

Public transportation sucks. Too many cheapskates and losers. Especially in Chicago. Every time I get on the bus or train in the winter I always have some degenerate coughing up a lung on one side and a fat bastard eating a bucket of KFC on the other. No erections either. I used to work downtown and rode a bike to work 9 months a year. Better to freeze your rear end of in the rain than get on an eastbound CTA bus at Western Ave.

And a :hfive: to my Chicago buddy, I share your gripes about the CTA. Contrary to my earlier snark, you do know what is up.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I finished DWD

As far as I can tell nothing of note actually happened.

So what the gently caress was the Meereneese knot? It's not like it was enormously complicated, Dany marries some fucker to stop his buddies killing her people, there's an army camped outside, then she fucks off on a dragon. Tyrion and the Dornish lads are monumentally ineffectual and don't really do anything, then after she leaves the prince releases the other dragons and gets barbecued for his trouble. End of book: two dragons free, another with a rider.

THAT IS NOT A STORY WORTH loving AROUND FOR SIX YEARS TO WRITE.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

I finished DWD

As far as I can tell nothing of note actually happened.

So what the gently caress was the Meereneese knot? It's not like it was enormously complicated, Dany marries some fucker to stop his buddies killing her people, there's an army camped outside, then she fucks off on a dragon. Tyrion and the Dornish lads are monumentally ineffectual and don't really do anything, then after she leaves the prince releases the other dragons and gets barbecued for his trouble. End of book: two dragons free, another with a rider.

THAT IS NOT A STORY WORTH loving AROUND FOR SIX YEARS TO WRITE.

GRRM actually finished the book about a month after Feast dropped, he spent 6 years writing Quentyn Martell's storyline.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
You forget de detailed scatological depictions, that alone would take me years to write (in between vomit attacks).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't really blame him for the 6 years thing. He finished it in 2005, but when editing he just couldn't think of enough adjectives to describe ~~<3Daario*^}~~

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
We should really get a group letter to GRRM's publisher going and plead w/ them to rein him in a little (lot).

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

So he has about 4.5 years to hand HBO A Dream of Spring.
Fair enough, assuming they decide making TV series out of the entire book series is profitable. Does HBO have a way to apply pressure to GRRM though? He's got plenty of money already; what's stopping him from simply telling them that writing more books wouldn't leave him with enough time to go to conventions, write blog posts and watch football so they should go and take a long walk off a short pier?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

geeves posted:

Yes. And it took him over a decade to write, with multiple starts where he would realize how horrid the work was and throw it all out to begin from scratch again.

Somewhere in all those restarts, Strider became Aragorn, King of Gondor, instead of a goofy-rear end hobbit.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

Fair enough, assuming they decide making TV series out of the entire book series is profitable. Does HBO have a way to apply pressure to GRRM though? He's got plenty of money already; what's stopping him from simply telling them that writing more books wouldn't leave him with enough time to go to conventions, write blog posts and watch football so they should go and take a long walk off a short pier?
I think, and hope, that HBO is going to disregard most of AFFC and ADWD after they're done with ASOS and just base whatever they film after that on the info Gurm gave them about what happens later in the series.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yes. And it took him over a decade to write, with multiple starts where he would realize how horrid the work was and throw it all out to begin from scratch again.

At least this wasn't between volumes. It was all one go.

I could understand Gurm complaining about reading something like Dark Tower or Wheel of Time. Those series took forever. King needed a near-death experience to finish and Robert Jordan actually died. Comparing his writing cycle to Lord of the Rings to relate how he sympathizes with his fans waiting for books is ridiculous.

Why does he hate his fans so much? :(

\/\/\/ Edit: But I think his hate predates the threads.

Mediant fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 14, 2012

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mediant posted:

Why does he hate his fans so much? :(
You still can't guess after reading this thread?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

savinhill posted:

I think, and hope, that HBO is going to disregard most of AFFC and ADWD after they're done with ASOS and just base whatever they film after that on the info Gurm gave them about what happens later in the series.
Perhaps HBO could offer GRRM some private time with the actress that played Dany (or perhaps Aria) in exchange for the next two books. Maybe that would motivate him to finish them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Iunno if Maisie Williams's contract includes more than the mandatory GRRM cuddling sessions. Emilia Clarke might be up for it though, her entire role so far has been sex scenes and looking pretty.