Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

nsaP posted:

Agreed for sure, coming from someone who just did the same thing to a fz6. I got used to the half faired look, but now that it's naked I love it me. Looking at old pictures looks like my bike had an ugly growth on it.

You should get a few more shots of that bandit.

This article has lots of great shots of naked Bandits: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests/splitting-heirs-suzuki-gsf600-v-gsf1200/4466.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

invision posted:

I usually put them on me like life ring floaties.

I actually got a discount because of it the last time I had my tires changed

When I bring tires into shops that I bought online I invariably get the :bahgawd: WE COULDA SOLD YOU THOSE FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE INNERNETTE lecture. Except that they couldn't.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Changed the rear tire, front and rear brake pads and exhaust.

When I was changing the front pads, I thought I'd removed enough fluid from the reservoir but I quickly realized I hadn't when I pressed the caliper pistons out and it started raining brake fluid on my head.

Aside from the minor hiccup, all went well. Then I rode the hell out of it because it is 70 all week here.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

When I bring tires into shops that I bought online I invariably get the :bahgawd: WE COULDA SOLD YOU THOSE FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE INNERNETTE lecture. Except that they couldn't.

"We woulda mounted & balanced 'em for FREE!!!" (And made up for it with the 50% price markup.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Actually, the local shop by me sells tires at cost, and actually undercuts the internet. They make money on mounting and balancing only.

Apparently business is pretty good because now they get all the tires in for mounting and balancing that people bought online, plus the ones they sell at the store.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

drat I thought that was my bike for a second since I did the same thing on the weekend and our garages look strangely similar.

I was going to take my tire to a local nationally known chain that sells bike stuff to get them changed but they were being dicks about it so I took it to Houston Superbikes (Really slick looking operation) instead.
I want to give them a little shout out since they were really helpful. I didn't mention anything about my troubles with the other place at all, but their price was essentially the same (I think it was a 30 cent difference in the end) and they were super friendly.
I had just assumed that they'd be expensive for this kind of thing since other shops have quoted $50 or more for changing a tire off the bike before, but these guys do not gently caress around or pad the bill at all. I have been there before and their customer service is top notch and pricing is reasonable.

The nuts on the wheel adjusters (is that the name?) on the aprilia seriously are made of swiss cheese though. Next time I change this wheel I am going to go replace them with new ones as they get chewed up really easily.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Got it out of "storage" (buddy's garage). The girlfriend and I rode to SaladWorks for lunch yesterday because we are badass.

I really need to work out some sort of permanent storage solution. I have soft bags that I don't like to leave on cause they're not waterproof or lockable. I'm planning on picking up a rear rack soon mainly for camping storage, so I might grab a Pelican case to attach to it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Whelp I blew up the goldwing.

...back to the drawing board I suppose.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

GanjamonII posted:

drat I thought that was my bike for a second since I did the same thing on the weekend and our garages look strangely similar.

What tires did you end up going with?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

What tires did you end up going with?

180/55 Q2. The front was still good so I left it alone. I haven't had a chance to try them out properly yet, my only test ride was in the wet and I didn't really get to get a feel for it yet.
edit - the bike did feel more lively, but I think that is more due to riding on a new tire rather than a worn out one. I'm taking it out to the track this weekend so I should be able to write up a trip report after that.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 13, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Copying this in case I need to paste it here later :ohdear:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Actually, the local shop by me sells tires at cost, and actually undercuts the internet. They make money on mounting and balancing only.

Apparently business is pretty good because now they get all the tires in for mounting and balancing that people bought online, plus the ones they sell at the store.

Hmm! Someone adapted to internet shops? Give them your money. The invisible hand can't help you hold tire irons.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Post pics of mechanical carnage you cocktease!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Went to the local shop to ask about some parts

2x Avon Roadrider tires: $280 + tax (online price $202)
1x 12Ah flooded lead-acid battery: $80 + tax, no core rebate (online price $40)
1x chain: 1971 CL350 is not in online Honda parts catalog, therefore impossible to determine what chain it uses

Then I went into the Honda room (the local place is about 60% harley 40% honda) to window shop, started playing with the levers on a CBR125, the guy walks up and laughs and says "oh you wouldn't like that one".

"No? How come?"
"Hah, it's...too fast for you." (laugh)
"Well, I dunno, I kinda like the smaller bikes."
"Well I guess on the right road I suppose. This thing is just too light for me. I'm used to heavier bikes so this one just feels like it's going to float away."

Then I told him I was restoring a CL350 and he didn't seem to know what it was.

Come on, guys. I really want to support the local businesses but this is just getting kind of hard now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh no sir, you wont like that bike that for all I know you could be here to purchase.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

Went to the local shop to ask about some parts

2x Avon Roadrider tires: $280 + tax (online price $202)
1x 12Ah flooded lead-acid battery: $80 + tax, no core rebate (online price $40)
1x chain: 1971 CL350 is not in online Honda parts catalog, therefore impossible to determine what chain it uses

Then I went into the Honda room (the local place is about 60% harley 40% honda) to window shop, started playing with the levers on a CBR125, the guy walks up and laughs and says "oh you wouldn't like that one".

"No? How come?"
"Hah, it's...too fast for you." (laugh)
"Well, I dunno, I kinda like the smaller bikes."
"Well I guess on the right road I suppose. This thing is just too light for me. I'm used to heavier bikes so this one just feels like it's going to float away."

Then I told him I was restoring a CL350 and he didn't seem to know what it was.

Come on, guys. I really want to support the local businesses but this is just getting kind of hard now.

That's not surprising. The sales guy where I picked up my DRZ didn't know very much about bikes. However when I talked to him about bikes his attitude was totally positive and he tended to just agree with me on most things. When I had an actual question he showed his real intelligence though and brought me a mechanic to chat with.

I don't mind them not knowing something, just don't try to bullshit me about it and we'll be good.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

My local mechanic hates me because I can only afford to do services every 10,000km instead of 5,000km.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
R6 is out of cold storage and I forgot what a joy it is to ride. The only weirdness is when I got it on the road and goosed the throttle it struggled for a little bit. It cleared up and didn't do it again. I'm assuming it was just an air bubble or whatever from sitting since November.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey I got my bike out of storage too.

quick pic in daylight before installing the battery and various plastic parts. Felt so good to ride again, even if I did almost get smashed into by an Explorer two miles into the season.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Rode mine to work for the first time this season. I'd forgotten how every buzzbombing Altezza-taillight Civic ricer automatically thinks I'm their bro and surely ready to race at every spotlight. Whatever dudes, have fun getting stuck in traffic while I zip on by!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ola posted:

Hmm! Someone adapted to internet shops? Give them your money. The invisible hand can't help you hold tire irons.

Post pics of mechanical carnage you cocktease!

Well it barfed a fuckton of white smoke. then I decided to start it up again to see if I could just let it burn itself to the ground and it was fine except for the same drat idle surge I've been dealing with for the past 6 months.

"I don't loving know."

Then wheeled it back into the garage.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I replaced my intake snorkel that fell out of my Vino. The new-found restriction in air flow, while supposedly helping with the low end and overall fuel consumption, also caused me to four-stroke like crazy when combined with the unexpected warm weather. Tomorrow I guess I'll fiddle with the jetting and air mixture and hope I still have enough time to get my other scooter started finally to see how the engine rebuild went.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Then wheelied it back into the garage.

That's what I thought it said at first glance...

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I ruined 2 throttle cables. One was the stock Y-cable that was worn out and somewhat unwieldy after I removed my oil pump. The second one was too short and I snapped off one of the ends in the process of figuring that out. I finally salvaged one from my Chinese donor scooter and it fit the best, though it's not really secured inside the throttle housing. Thankfully there's almost no slack, so it's unlikely to affect performance much.

However, once I got that situated and installed the carburetor and drained the tank since I'm going to run premix now, I discovered that the stock fuel and vacuum lines to the carburetor won't reach. Looks like I'll be making a shopping trip tomorrow.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
After some "gentle persuasion", the engine is back in the Goldwing. Now to solve the lower mount bolt/exhaust headpipe/case guard/footboard jigsaw puzzle.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I changed out the kickstand.

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/03/tripod-gets-trim.html

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Oil/filter. I took some cranky guy's advice and waited until the oil was empty to change the starter cover as well. My crash guards show up tomorrow; I'll do brakes and install those then.

I also took the carb rack out and took the winter shims off of the needles. I need non-Ca needles so I can just move a clip. I also found that 3 of the 4 vacuum plugs where the sync ports hook up were rotted off, and one was missing entirely, probably leading to a vacuum leak causing the bike to run rough. New fuel-resistant vacuum plugs installed, and the thing starts and runs!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Oil+Filter, Brake bleed, removed fuses for the lights, a little safety wiring, and finally I used Plexus to wipe the bike down. "I CANT BELIEVE YOU PAY 15 DOLLARS A CAN FOR PLEDGE LOSER" yeah but plexus smells so much better.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I went food shopping. Don't know why this never occurred to me before.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I put those little spring+ballbearings in my pillion pegs. No more floppy pegs!

I swear I've bought 3 sets of these and have only used 1. Are they built to disappear or something? I buy them knowing I might lose them when changing pegs. (new Oberon pegs own) But I lose them before I use them.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

The motorcycle equivalent of the hobos who do this on bicycle.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

The motorcycle equivalent of the hobos who do this on bicycle.

Except the motorcycle way doesn't stupidly preload steering so's you can't navigate if you've had more than 1 40 and force you to steer into traffic completely at random then fall over in the lane and jump up and curse out your groceries and the sidewalk.

I've seen too many hobos do this wrong. Hanging stuff off the mirrors seems better. Saddle bags might be even better, even on an R6 or whatever.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Except the motorcycle way doesn't stupidly preload steering so's you can't navigate if you've had more than 1 40 and force you to steer into traffic completely at random then fall over in the lane and jump up and curse out your groceries and the sidewalk.

I've seen too many hobos do this wrong. Hanging stuff off the mirrors seems better. Saddle bags might be even better, even on an R6 or whatever.

ZX-6R....:eng101:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I tried this with a 6 pack on my xl175. Had to opt for the lap.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
That's so adorable. My K5 SV650 was great do stuff like that on, because it had those Mirrcycle mirrors as bar-ends that served as hooks. Easy to haul two bagged-up 6-packs around with without worry of banging up anything on the bike. But with the zx6r, wouldn't that, like, scratch the fairings? At least it's just yogurt...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Gnaghi posted:

Because those of us who do it live in shame. :) Actually, this is about the only use I've found for the seat strap. Two knots and you're off to the races. Cinch it up high, keep the weight down and your distances short.

And, well, this is my worst nightmare:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Scooter 1: I discovered that the fuel line I bought still wasn't long enough to complete the return line, I'm missing my exhaust flange bolts, the flange won't fit into the pipe just yet, and my air filter is too small to fit over the throat of my new carburetor. The flange is in a bag in the freezer and I'll hit the pipe with a heat gun when I have some time.

Scooter 2: found out my oil line had dislodged slightly from the carburetor over time and coated everything nearby in sludge. Also I have a fuel leak somewhere. Not sure if it's a damaged line or if the carburetor bowl screws also had vibrated loose. I removed the way too big #77.5 main jet and reinstalled the #70 for warm weather and made sure everything was nice and snug when putting it back together. It ran great this afternoon, but it was four-stroking like crazy and idling really low tonight after work. I guess I'll fiddle with the needle height tomorrow in between school and work.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

the walkin dude posted:

That's so adorable. My K5 SV650 was great do stuff like that on, because it had those Mirrcycle mirrors as bar-ends that served as hooks. Easy to haul two bagged-up 6-packs around with without worry of banging up anything on the bike. But with the zx6r, wouldn't that, like, scratch the fairings? At least it's just yogurt...

Well, if you look at the front cowl in that pic it'll give you an idea of the condition of the fairings. I don't call that bike a beater for nothing.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Aligned the rear wheel after I replaced the tire last weekend. I didn't do enough of a test ride to really get a good feel for it, but today I busted out the fishing line and took 20 minutes to check it out.

Turns out the marks on the swing arm are slightly off from each other. I got it pretty much spot on from what I can tell and the wheel is sitting about the same distance from the end of the swing arm on each side but off by almost a whole alignment mark. Took it out for a spin afterwards and it was awesome. New tire days really are the best days.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Uuhmmmmm are you sure you swingarm is straight? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I have the same problem with my SV. If I use a tool to line up the chain, the alignment marks are off by one.