Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

LobsterTick posted:

Wait,you can actually do this?

If you like mordin as a character this is an absolute must see.
You'll see why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

LobsterTick posted:

If Wrex is dead, and you destroy Maelon's research data resulting in Eve's death, you can convince Mordin to back away from the elevator.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

LobsterTick posted:

Only if you're some kind of awful goddamn monster who let Wrex die in ME1. If he's alive his goose is cooked regardless

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LobsterTick posted:

If Wrex is dead, then Wreav becomes the chieftain of the united krogans. Under these circumstances, it is possible to convince Mordin that curing the genophage is a bad idea. Of course, if you fail to do that, or you want to leave the genophage uncured with Wrex alive, then Mordin still dies - but not in the same way.

I think Eve dying or surviving (which is based on whether you saved Maelon's data can affect the outcome as well, but I'm not sure how. There are a lot of different ways that can all play out. It's quite impressive.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Does anybody have any advice for choosing powers & weapons for an infiltrator? I just want to avoid accidentally gimping myself horribly more than anything, I don't care if I miss on a 1% damage bonus somewhere or something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bongo Bill posted:

If Wrex is dead, then Wreav becomes the chieftain of the united krogans. Under these circumstances, it is possible to convince Mordin that curing the genophage is a bad idea. Of course, if you fail to do that, or you want to leave the genophage uncured with Wrex alive, then Mordin still dies - but not in the same way.

I think Eve dying or surviving (which is based on whether you saved Maelon's data can affect the outcome as well, but I'm not sure how. There are a lot of different ways that can all play out. It's quite impressive.

If you destroy the research, then Mordin specifically comments that Eve died as a result and therefore won't be a stabilizing force for the krogan, tipping the argument towards Mordin walking away.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

sean10mm posted:

Does anybody have any advice for choosing powers & weapons for an infiltrator? I just want to avoid accidentally gimping myself horribly more than anything, I don't care if I miss on a 1% damage bonus somewhere or something.

There's a couple big ideas.

1) Sniper rifle of choice
2) Maximize Cloak

For the Sniper Rifle, you obviously get the most min/max from Cloak with of a slow hammer like a Widow, Black Widow, Mantis, or Javelin. But this is also dependent on your playstyle and how comfortable you feel with a less forgiving margin of error/misses. I've done well with a Viper as well, so feel free to experiment.

For Cloak, it's not only for the obvious damage bonus but for some potentially match-saving ninja poo poo like capturing objectives and reviving teammates. I tend to maximize damage for Cloak since the duration's already sufficient.

Outside of that, Sticky Grenade can generally be ignored. Some folks like it, but I've found few situations where a Cloaked rifle shot wasn't better.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

The gently caress? I'm doing the DLC "From Ashes" mission on Eden Prime, and after a certain point my game automatically crashes.

The point is right after viewing the Protean video where you get the pod activation signal.

It has happened twice, does anyone know anything about this, and how I could fix it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Well I finished the game just now. I killed the Reapers, saved Erf, but Shepard didn't make it thanks to my multiplayphobia. The ending left a little bit to be desired but I didn't think it was terrible or off-putting by any means. Maybe that's a minority opinion but I didn't find it bad. Overall this game was pretty good. There were a lot of memorable moments and I'm glad some of the humor was preserved.

I think i'm going to start from ME1 and do it all again though. While I've played all 3 I never actually carried files over. And if I did I would just download saves from online that looked similar to what I did.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xachariah posted:

The gently caress? I'm doing the DLC "From Ashes" mission on Eden Prime, and after a certain point my game automatically crashes.

The point is right after viewing the Protean video where you get the pod activation signal.

It has happened twice, does anyone know anything about this, and how I could fix it?

There are two objectives, do the other one first. It doesn't crash if you do it in that order

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

The ME1 and ME2 Renegade decisions don't really have any negative effects in their respective games. It's not bad until ME3 when all that stuff comes back and Renegades get screwed.

Not really. I have full loyalty and everyone mostly alive, and I'm 95% Renegade through all three games (I saved Wrex, which I think took a Paragon choice, and a couple of other things). I have the necessay War assets or readiness or whatever with only an hour of multiplayer, including almost as much fleet support as possible.

Red choices and interrupts save people just as well as blue ones.

Even stuff like Tali's court case in ME2 could be won Renegade. It's exactly like the KOTOR games, if you don't get a good overall outcome, it's because you aren't good or evil ENOUGH and half assed it. Being completely good or evil gives you the max bonuses and normally everything.

The ONLY thing I got screwed on was Conrad dying in ME2 saving a bus.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

CaptainCarrot posted:

Every writer who has commented on it disagrees with you.

Therefore it must be true...

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Darko posted:

Renegade choices are typically equal to Paragon ones, especially when you get to Red/Blue. For instance, siding with Morinth or Samara makes no real difference at all. There are a few instances where either/or is "right" (ie. killing the recruit in her apartment, while the Renegade choice, keeps her from screwing up stuff later on). but Renegade vs. Paragon with anyone else BUT your squadmembers is pretty much equal benefit.

Of course, squad-wise, due to loyalty, there are some instances where you go Paragon, but once you're high enough to get red/blue choices, it doesn't matter then, either. For instance, you can resolve squad arguments by red choicing them as much as blue choicing them, and get loyalty that way.

The difference in this game is that even superficially, the Renegade/Paragon choices are the same because you give two sides to the same answer with each. It's no real branch; its the same basic thing for each except in a few instances.

I didn't mean gameplay-wise, I meant plot-wise a lot of the renegade stuff is basically stupid and cruel for no reason. Shooting the Feros colonists instead of gassing them, handing that traumatized quarian over to Cerberus, letting that dude keep his autistic brother plugged in to that Geth thing, selling Legion to Cerberus, killing a space cop so you can hang out with her serial killer daughter are all basically terrible options because they have little to no benefit in-game (outside of giving Shep the 'Dominate' ability, which admittedly owns) and even less to Shepard as a character.

Outside of that one minor example posted earlier, there's no point where being a renegade is ever 'for the greater good' or has a tangible benefit over paragon, unless killing the Council and Rachni Queen really pay off in ME3 (I'm guessing they don't). I think they realized this in ME2, hence adding 'renegade' options like killing the dude who is fixing the helicopter you know you have to fight or killing the krogan you know you have to fight.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Darko posted:

The ONLY thing I got screwed on was Conrad dying in ME2 saving a bus.

What? How did you get Conrad to die in ME2?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Veotax posted:

There are two objectives, do the other one first. It doesn't crash if you do it in that order

Thank you Veotax, much appreciated.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spacebump posted:

What? How did you get Conrad to die in ME2?

If you go full Renegade with him in ME2, you'll get an announcement next time you go back there that he died rescuing people or something.

He ALSO died in ME1 for me, but it was bugged, so he came back in 2. It doesn't work the same for 3.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I didn't mean gameplay-wise, I meant plot-wise a lot of the renegade stuff is basically stupid and cruel for no reason. Shooting the Feros colonists instead of gassing them, handing that traumatized quarian over to Cerberus, letting that dude keep his autistic brother plugged in to that Geth thing, selling Legion to Cerberus, killing a space cop so you can hang out with her serial killer daughter are all basically terrible options because they have little to no benefit in-game (outside of giving Shep the 'Dominate' ability, which admittedly owns) and even less to Shepard as a character.

All of that stuff fits if you play Renegade from the start. Renegade completely makes you have a philosophy of ends over means and view everything strictly human-centric. It's basically, "the galaxy is going to end, we have to get this stuff done RIGHT NOW, Earth comes first because all these aliens are assholes (they are)." You basically end up aligning with ME2 Cerberus ideals, which makes working with them make sense.

It's kind of screwed in ME3 because they turn Cerberus back into pure muahaha evil like in ME1, making working with them worse in retrospect.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

richardfun posted:

Therefore it must be true...

Barring any evidence otherwise, I believe them over random people, yes.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

50% through, throwing in my 50 cents:

Wolfsheim posted:

-The Day-One DLC. Worth it? Do you miss out on not having it? Did it feel cut out of the main game?

It is extremely well-integrated - I would compare it to any one of the party NPCs in ME2 (more even than Zaeed/Kasumi). The mission is cool, you learn some great lore, and the guy has plenty of fun dialogue both on the Normandy and off. However, it is by no means essential to the main story, and if you lack the DLC I think the most you'll notice will be a conspicuously empty room in your ship.

-For that matter, do they seriously pull it off with the choices thing or is it like the ME2 thing where you get those couple of badass scenes with Wrex and the Council and then a bunch of emails from Aria and Kal Reegar saying what up.

The rule seems to be: if a person appeared in ME1 or ME2 and had a name (and is still alive), you are more likely than not to meet them, even if it's just a quick chat somewhere.

-Speaking of the Council, please tell me if they do something hilarious with air-quotes guy.

Nope :(

-All the stuff people (like myself) had a problem with prior to release, how is it in the actual game? Is that ED-E/Joker thing as horrible as was suggested? Or Cerberus becoming de facto enemies?

EDI-Joker is, if anything, more ridiculous than I expected. But I surprisingly found myself enjoying it, because this is otherwise a tremendously bleak and serious game, so whatever little comic relief comes up feels very appreciated.

-Morinth! Tell me Morinth gets a nod.

See three answers up.

-I know the combat owns so I won't ask about it. Actually, yes I will, does the combat, in fact, own?

Speaking as an Infiltrator, yes. It's closer to ME2 than ME1, but while cover is still the base of combat, you get a LOT more chances (and encouragements :grenade:) to move around, outflank your enemies, and use all of your abilities. Also the different weapons are VERY different, and the weight mechanic adds even more choices.

-Is it more tightly-focused a la ME1 (intro, four real planets, climax) or more akin to the sprawling ME2 (dozens of missions happening all over the place, some more epic than the main plot itself)?

Hybrid. Sidequests still pop up everywhere, but they're neither as cookie-cutter as in ME1 nor as epic as in ME2. The simplest are of the "visit a multiplayer map, fight off waves of enemies, rescue some data/people/items, fight off more waves", the most interesting are usually the ones that feature major ME1/ME2 NPCs or plot points and so have a ton of dialogue. Meanwhile, the main quests feel a LOT longer than in either of the previous games.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Wow I'm tired of "reviewers" coming out saying how Bioware's endings are somehow sacred.

Retconning happens all the time, it's alright to do when you're making things legitimately better. I think it's wrong to DEMAND better endings, but I'm certainly in the crowd of people that is asking for better endings that don't invalidate my 100+ hours of investment.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
Genuinely pleased (and surprised!) with the Datapad app thus far. As previously noted, the emails from characters are pretty neat.

The "Galaxy at War" game is your typical Farmville-esque "Check in for a minute, then do something else for an hour" game, but there's no microtransactions from what I can see. You can increase Galactic Readiness on a sector-wide basis (as opposed to galaxy-wide increases by playing multiplayer), though it looks like it will take a bit of levelling up to reach the point where you can meaningfully boost GR (at the beginning, it takes a little over an hour to boost a sector's Readiness by 0.55%).

And the Codex... well, I don't know how useful it really is - considering that every entry is already transcribed on wikis - but it was still quite a shock to hear that the Primary entries are still fully-voiced!

Spacebump posted:

Can you link this to console versions or just the pc?
I'm playing the 360 version.

I assume it's working for PC players as well?

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 13, 2012

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ok so I'm right at the end, got the choice to make and I can totally see why people are pissed if this plays out like it seems like it will. What should I do? I had the last paragon/renegade option greyed out for the Illusive Man so I shot him with the interrupt before he could kill Anderson. Now I'm standing at the point where you have to make the decision, I had to go do something so I just left it with the autosave there. I have all 3 available to me and had a strength rating of like 6000. Are any of the endings going to satisfy if I just want Shepherd to have a party with most of the crew? Might just go with the destroy ending if that's really the only way Shepherd doesn't die, shame about the Geth though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

thebardyspoon posted:

Ok so I'm right at the end, got the choice to make and I can totally see why people are pissed if this plays out like it seems like it will. What should I do? I had the last paragon/renegade option greyed out for the Illusive Man so I shot him with the interrupt before he could kill Anderson. Now I'm standing at the point where you have to make the decision, I had to go do something so I just left it with the autosave there. I have all 3 available to me and had a strength rating of like 6000. Are any of the endings going to satisfy if I just want Shepherd to have a party with most of the crew? Might just go with the destroy ending if that's really the only way Shepherd doesn't die, shame about the Geth though.

Nope.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

thebardyspoon posted:

Honestly? (ending) Not really. There's some hope with the Destroy ending (that's the one on the right), but the others end up with Shepard dead or in some kind of vague digitized ascended form.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I thought that might be the case. Jeez, it doesn't invalidate the awesome time I've had with all 3 games but drat.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I thought that might be the case. Jeez, it doesn't invalidate the awesome time I've had with all 3 games but drat.

See you in the other thread for some emotional support. :lol:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

So, questions!

-The Day-One DLC. Worth it? Do you miss out on not having it? Did it feel cut out of the main game?

Absolutely.

-Romances with people not on your crew, a la Jack/Thane/etc. Just as burgeoning as your crew romances, or shoe-horned-in garbage?

Shoehorned in.

-For that matter, do they seriously pull it off with the choices thing or is it like the ME2 thing where you get those couple of badass scenes with Wrex and the Council and then a bunch of emails from Aria and Kal Reegar saying what up.

Exactly that in most cases.

-Speaking of the Council, please tell me if they do something hilarious with air-quotes guy.

Not that I could tell.

-All the stuff people (like myself) had a problem with prior to release, how is it in the actual game? Is that ED-E/Joker thing as horrible as was suggested? Or Cerberus becoming de facto enemies?

It's in the game, but it's not nearly as horrible as I thought.

-Morinth! Tell me Morinth gets a nod.

She doesn't. She's in the game as a named enemy on the last level afaik.

-I know the combat owns so I won't ask about it. Actually, yes I will, does the combat, in fact, own?

It's much better than ME2 but still pretty clunky.

-Is it more tightly-focused a la ME1 (intro, four real planets, climax) or more akin to the sprawling ME2 (dozens of missions happening all over the place, some more epic than the main plot itself)?

Like a weird mix of ME1 and ME2. No mission complete screens, thankfully.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Pretty much this. Welcome to the 99%, brother. :liara:

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

LobsterTick posted:

Is cryo ammo any good?It looks like a fun alternative to incendiary,but I remember it being absolutely terrible in ME2.
The best way to use it in both ME2 and ME3 is to use squad cryo to give it to your teammates while you use a different ammo for yourself. In both games my guys were freezing dudes left and right. It's more effective in ME3 because the power is better and because there less dudes that have protections that need to be striped before it works, but its still good in ME2.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

CaptainCarrot posted:

Barring any evidence otherwise, I believe them over random people, yes.

Except, of course, all the non-random people who did say the DLC had some importance to the story and wasn't totally disconnected. I don't know how many of them are out there, but at least RPS (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/06/what-i-think-mass-effect-3-from-ashes-dlc/) proves you wrong.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

nessin posted:

Except, of course, all the non-random people who did say the DLC had some importance to the story and wasn't totally disconnected. I don't know how many of them are out there, but at least RPS (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/06/what-i-think-mass-effect-3-from-ashes-dlc/) proves you wrong.

It's not completely and totally unconnected from everything else in the main game, but there's really not any real impact on the story from his addition. It's some nifty lore stuff, but you're not missing anything in the main story from him not being there.

The absolutely closest he comes to mattering in the main story is (really late game, just prior to point of no return)after Thessia, he gets confronted by Liara about whether that ancient Asari goddess was, in fact, a Prothean, which he confirms and she gets pissed off about and charges out. From there, you have a short conversation with Javik about your crewmembers.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

Meh it was pretty bad but bitching about it won't really help. I'll just ignore it and pretend that right before the approach to Earth is where it ends and it's all decided by your fleet strength. That is the cutoff point for any future playthrough anyway.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Except, as we have seen in the other thread, bitching about it may actually be helping. Lots of Bioware people tweeting about listening to criticism, and some of them specifically calling out the gaming press for telling us to shut up and be happy.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

So am I just stupid or is my game glitched out? I'm on a mission on Benning called N7: Cerberus Abductions, and my objective isn't changing from "Defend civilians" no matter how many enemies I kill. They just cower in a corner not really doing anything. It's been 10 minutes now, so I'm guessing something is wrong with my game?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Every time I look at this thread's title, my brain tries to figure out how "Blue Oyster Cult" might be a reference to something that happens to the Asari because in my mind: mass effect + blue = Asari.

Knowing that it has nothing to do with the game makes it worse!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I like that you can make Liara explain the tentacles. But I don't know why she's so sensitive about it. A human could explain hair without feeling put out, right? Maybe there's more to it. Or she's just sensitive about the racist notion that they are prehensile or something.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Kifisonfire posted:

So am I just stupid or is my game glitched out? I'm on a mission on Benning called N7: Cerberus Abductions, and my objective isn't changing from "Defend civilians" no matter how many enemies I kill. They just cower in a corner not really doing anything. It's been 10 minutes now, so I'm guessing something is wrong with my game?

Have you talked to them?

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Lotish posted:

I like that you can make Liara explain the tentacles. But I don't know why she's so sensitive about it. A human could explain hair without feeling put out, right? Maybe there's more to it. Or she's just sensitive about the racist notion that they are prehensile or something.

That conversation was one of my favorites to stumble onto on the ship.

I think she's just frustrated at Joker bugging her about it, and she finds it weird. That and perhaps there could just be something special in the way an asari regards their head tentacles, who really knows?

I mean, it did seem to me that Liara was a bit too sensitive to Joker asking about it, but you don't get to ask her why she's so reluctant to tell him.

I enjoyed being able to finally solve that mystery for myself as a player though. :v:

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Wait wait what the heck, just finished second playthrough and the Catalyst says the Reapers left Humans alone last time they were here. The Reapers come every 50k years, but Humans have only existed for like 2000 years? This is worse than when my high school Biology teacher insisted that Polar Bears hunt Penguins in the North Pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Creepy Goat posted:

Wait wait what the heck, just finished second playthrough and the Catalyst says the Reapers left Humans alone last time they were here. The Reapers come every 50k years, but Humans have only existed for like 2000 years? This is worse than when my high school Biology teacher insisted that Polar Bears hunt Penguins in the North Pole.

Only if you're a creationist.

• Locked thread