Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

sellouts posted:

It's a hockey stop not the 5th symphony, how much time/space does it take for you to stop?

To be clear, in your story, you are in mid stop and she makes a positional decision, moves there, and comes to a stop. And you still haven't stopped and hit her hard enough to go flying. Maybe I'm not understanding it right.

I'm not very good at stopping to the left. It just doesn't click. Right is just fine. It is a mystery (don't get low enough? lead with the wrong foot?).

Full sprint then attempting to stop to the left with 2 feet or less to the boards, intending to basically use the boards to stop myself. Didn't anticipate her to step in between me and the boards at the very last second. Although, maybe she didn't stop and we just ran into each other, it happened quickly. But if she goes in between me and the puck without making an attempt at the puck is that not interference? I made a picture because I have nothing else to do on lunch. Enjoy my artistic prowess. I am genuinely curious. My poor stopping starts at the end of the red line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's not much you could have done except not sprint at the boards. She could have avoided diving into it at full sprint too.

I see it a lot with the guys I play with, they skate hard out in open ice, but when it's rushing a loose puck up against the boards, they play a lot softer. They just don't want to risk crushing anyone (or themselves). It makes for some weak rear end puck battles, but everyone wants to make sure they go home uninjured.

If you're trying to win a game it's probably a bit more reasonable, and if you take a penalty for it, I guess all that can be done is suck it up.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, it sounds like you checked her. She was likely going into the boards to get position on the puck, and then pick it up after she'd gained position, which is fine. If you make contact like that in a lower level no-check league you will get called for it. At higher level leagues, it might be seen as incidental contact, but not anywhere below mid-C.

Also, this is usually why you don't body up on someone who's substantially smaller than you. They'll go flying and you'll get the gate. Every time.

Last also: don't skate straight into the boards like that unless you enjoy broken legs.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

She was much faster than I anticipated :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lizardking posted:

She was much faster than I anticipated :(

That's why penalties exist. :colbert:

Next time you're in that situation I guarantee you'll take a second look and/or pull up sooner. Live and learn!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

And listen to Iron Maiden.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And listen to Iron Maiden.

My favorite games are the ones where our rink plays The Trooper during the open skate.

Edit: That and anything by Ke$ha.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

lizardking posted:

Glorious Art

This exact thing happened to me like 2 weeks ago, except I made it to the puck slightly before the other guy and we exploded into a heap of body parts and hockey equipment.

No penalty on the play.

As the ref explained it to me, because I got there first and we were both clearly playing for the puck it was just incidental contact -- two guys going hard. He did say had the other guy got there and I hit him, it would have been a penalty for checking.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

My favorite games are the ones where our rink plays The Trooper during the open skate.

I dunno, Poker Face gets me pretty amped up.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
During our early games we have to listen to the loving figure skating music blaring from the other ice, it's really loving annoying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Usually my rink has no music because there's so few people (half the time I have the whole sheet to myself) but every once in a while there's this middle aged lady that shows up. She skates right over to the scorekeeper's box where the audio jack is, plugs in her ipod, and melts my brain with mix of easy jazz and uptempo pop music. :barf:

There was also this one time where some kids were loving around with their ipod, and put Chelsea Dagger on infinite repeat. As a Blackhawks fan I appreciate the power of the track, but not on repeat for 20 minutes solid. :suicide:

For that one I actually went to the desk and complained to get it shut off.

I keep promising myself to one day hook up my own ipod before someone else can, cycle through Megadeth or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Clearly you need to get there first and hook up your iPod that's filled with thrash metal.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Children of Bodom's "If You Want Peace, Prepare For War" would probably feel like acid being poured in the ears of the poor figure skating girls.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I agree with dangerllama, especially if you can't control your stop don't try to go flying into the boards like that anyway. Nothing good will happen to you or anyone around you.

Also if the puck was right there, you can't call that interference and I don't know where you would get that idea :confused:

And you call someone a "diver" when you run into them at full force, they're 70 lbs lighter than you and you knock them over? really? it's beer league non-check hockey, she (especially since it sounds like she may be more skilled than you) has every right to play regardless of her size, which puts her at a disadvantage regarding reach and stuff anyway without even taking the physical aspect into it.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

and this

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

cenzo posted:

This exact thing happened to me like 2 weeks ago, except I made it to the puck slightly before the other guy and we exploded into a heap of body parts and hockey equipment.

No penalty on the play.

As the ref explained it to me, because I got there first and we were both clearly playing for the puck it was just incidental contact -- two guys going hard. He did say had the other guy got there and I hit him, it would have been a penalty for checking.

If it makes any difference I did get the puck and manage a cross ice pass that cleared our zone during the collision. Went, pass, glance her with my butt since I'm still in motion and she spun to back into me to try to knock me off the puck(lol), bounce off boards with butt, all in the span of a few seconds and then whistle.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

lizardking posted:

I'm not very good at stopping to the left. It just doesn't click. Right is just fine. It is a mystery (don't get low enough? lead with the wrong foot?).

Full sprint then attempting to stop to the left with 2 feet or less to the boards, intending to basically use the boards to stop myself. Didn't anticipate her to step in between me and the boards at the very last second. Although, maybe she didn't stop and we just ran into each other, it happened quickly. But if she goes in between me and the puck without making an attempt at the puck is that not interference? I made a picture because I have nothing else to do on lunch. Enjoy my artistic prowess. I am genuinely curious. My poor stopping starts at the end of the red line.

Someone else already said this, but don't skate at the boards like that. I know it's a non-contact league, but it's just opening you up to getting creamed from behind. There's a chance you'll end up very seriously injured on this play. Be it broken legs, or worse, injuring your neck which is a potentially a life threatening injury.

What you should be doing instead is called "angling" where you swing out changing the angle so that your shoulders wind up perpendicular to the boards. In this situation, you would head more to the left, so that you maintain body position in front of your opponent, then cut right towards the corner in order to protect yourself. This way, if you do get hit, it should be on the shoulder, which is a strong position to get hit potentially allowing you to just shrug it off, and if you don't it should be the opposite should that goes into the boards. You want to end up very close to the boards (practically touching them) so that you aren't being thrown into them at all.

Even if you curled the opposite direction (ie swung right then left going up ice) you would still be in a much stronger and safer position. You should pretty much never skate perpendicularly at the boards at any time.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Minister Robathan posted:

Someone else already said this, but don't skate at the boards like that. I know it's a non-contact league, but it's just opening you up to getting creamed from behind. There's a chance you'll end up very seriously injured on this play. Be it broken legs, or worse, injuring your neck which is a potentially a life threatening injury.

What you should be doing instead is called "angling" where you swing out changing the angle so that your shoulders wind up perpendicular to the boards. In this situation, you would head more to the left, so that you maintain body position in front of your opponent, then cut right towards the corner in order to protect yourself. This way, if you do get hit, it should be on the shoulder, which is a strong position to get hit potentially allowing you to just shrug it off, and if you don't it should be the opposite should that goes into the boards. You want to end up very close to the boards (practically touching them) so that you aren't being thrown into them at all.

Even if you curled the opposite direction (ie swung right then left going up ice) you would still be in a much stronger and safer position. You should pretty much never skate perpendicularly at the boards at any time.

Ah I follow. I never think to just send it back around the net. I swung out to the right and then up into the puck at an angle so my back right rear end cheek cushioned my contact with the board(if that makes any sense at all). I just happened to glance her as well.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I don't know how relevant this is, but I thought I'd share a comment/strategy. In situations like these and other 1 on 1 races to the puck I'll sometimes try a "bluff" bodycheck. Where (in a non-contact league) I take a line that looks like I'm going to play the body. At the last second the other guy will usually look over at me and see that I'm staring right at him like I'm going to body check him. This will usually get him to pull up, protect his body and brace himself for the hit. I stop up short and while he's expecting a hit that doesn't come I get strong on the loose puck or chip it away and go hard after it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Our 270+ lbs defenseman did that once to a guy who kept flying down the wing. D-man took three steps up towards him at the blue line, the forward freaked out and veered off and turned over the puck and did not try to gain the zone that way for the remainder of the game.

Of course I fully believe our d-man would have laid the dude out and was not actually bluffing, but the effect was the same (minus a long penalty and a game misconduct)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I'm always surprised and amazed when someone trys to get in my way, coming around the net or races to the puck.

It never turns out well for them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bigmike posted:

fake hits

Yeah you also mentioned a few posts ago about actually trying to start a fight with someone during a game so yeah, this is probably pretty effective for you. Also your name is bigmike.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I like being the 6'7"ish forward. I have the heart of a kitten, but so long as the other team assumes otherwise, I'll take the advantage.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

lizardking posted:

Ah I follow. I never think to just send it back around the net. I swung out to the right and then up into the puck at an angle so my back right rear end cheek cushioned my contact with the board(if that makes any sense at all). I just happened to glance her as well.

Yeah, that makes sense. This is the right wrong move, at least.

In non-contact, a way to show that you're trying to avoid contact and potentially avoid a call is to turn your body towards the boards before contact is made. Obviously not always an option, but it minimises the extent of the impact (for both of you) and shows that you were trying to avoid the hit, and any contact is then the second man ins fault.

So, same situation, you're turning up ice, they're heading down low, immediately after (or even while if possible, but this is a beginner thread so not likely) you play the puck, you slam on the brakes and flatten yourself against the boards. In a contact league, this minimises the contact against you, and in a non-contact league this is an attempt to get out of the way. Now, since "running into a player going the other way" is (in Hockey Canada at least) not an excuse for checking a player, the onus is now on your opponent 100% to avoid you.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Topoisomerase posted:

...she (especially since it sounds like she may be more skilled than you) has every right to play regardless of her size, which puts her at a disadvantage regarding reach and stuff anyway without even taking the physical aspect into it.
You get extra right to play the puck if you're more skilled? Also didn't you just tell me less skilled players got more protection from the refs? As the less skilled member of the collision, shouldn't the skill argument swing his way (even if nothing else does) since he is the one less able to avoid the collision?

Minister Robathan posted:

In non-contact, a way to show that you're trying to avoid contact and potentially avoid a call is to turn your body towards the boards before contact is made. Obviously not always an option, but it minimises the extent of the impact (for both of you) and shows that you were trying to avoid the hit, and any contact is then the second man ins fault.
You mean turn and face the boards? Instructing one to turn their body towards the board is kinda confusing.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Gio posted:

and this

Oh god, yes.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

coldwind posted:

You mean turn and face the boards? Instructing one to turn their body towards the board is kinda confusing.

Yes. Note that this is after playing the puck. You need to be completely against the boards. Getting hit like this doesn't hurt, at all, and in a non-contact league shows that you aren't going for a hit. Of course, you need to stop to make this work, because otherwise you're just running into the boards (which is dumb and bad). It's not so much turning into the boards, as it is stopping with your body like an inch away, and then pushing yourself the rest of the way there if need be.

You will actually see pros do this constantly if you're watching for it. In a contact league, it both minimises the contact you're receiving (most of the energy is deflected if you're being hit during the stop/pivot) and reduces the impact with the boards (since you're so close, you don't accelerate into the boards, you just kinda stay there) if the energy isn't deflected.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sellouts posted:

Yeah you also mentioned a few posts ago about actually trying to start a fight with someone during a game so yeah, this is probably pretty effective for you. Also your name is bigmike.

Dude wore a silver chain on the outside of his jersey and a tinted visor every game.

I don't think I've gotten a fighting major in at least 4 or 5 years. Pretty much since I started paying my own league fees. Yeah, sitting out 5-6 games at about $120 worth of lost hockey ain't fun.

(bigmike was a high school nickname I got because I was (and I guess, still am) very skinny)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some dude I skate with has a silver visor, I call him robocop.

Prior to that he had a rather large clear visor that went below his nose, and when he started breathing heavy fog would build up along the bottom edge, made him look like he had a mustache exactly like coach Quenneville's. So I called him Q until he got the silver one.

I wonder what he buys next!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

So...awesome, awesome game tonight.

Okay, backstory: our team is a 7 seed facing a 2 seed. We're actually not bad; we tied three games and lost nearly every game by a goal. Relatively low scoring games, too. Over the course of the season, a number of guys left and new guys ended up filling their spot. The guy who started the team had a kid and stopped coming altogether, in fact.

But yeah, these new guys were not on the official roster and I don't think they even signed up for USA Hockey. If I'm running the team I'm gonna make sure the fill ins get on the roster and sign up for USA Hockey, but yeah...

SO we ended up being short. Real short. Like, two guys on the bench short. Four guys couldn't play.

We skated our asses off and played real good. These guys had a couple dudes that were either ringers or shouldn't have been playing in that league. And it's tied 5-5 with 8 minutes left in the third. I didn't know this at the time, but I got slew footed. (The guy, apparently, was frustrated with me winning every battle in the corner against him.) As I fell, my stick creamed this guy in the face.

Well, let's just say he didn't like that, cross checked me hard from behind, and tried to start a fight. I actually did think about it for a second, but looked at the ref next to me and said "I'll take the power play instead!" I snuck in the back door from the point and shot an ugly (as in not that good) one-timer into the net.

We won 6-5. :smug:

bet that guy is pissed he wanted to fight now

e: oh yeah about not knowing I got slew footed--I figured the ref missed the high stick because nothing was called, I felt bad about it and even apologized to the guy after the game, but apparently the ref was going to call tripping on the guy I hit till I nailed him in the face. Rather than throw us in the box he decided to not call either. If he had, that guy wouldn't have cross checked me. And we would have lost.

Gio fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 14, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

coldwind posted:

You get extra right to play the puck if you're more skilled? Also didn't you just tell me less skilled players got more protection from the refs? As the less skilled member of the collision, shouldn't the skill argument swing his way (even if nothing else does) since he is the one less able to avoid the collision?

I also mentioned size....

And I don't mean she has any "extra" right to anything and I don't know where you're reading that from, I mean she has the right to be out there playing despite the fact that she is female and small which are both things that yall seem to object to.

But it's pretty clear what your opinion is on the whole matter anyway, so no point in arguing. Yeah, the women are all divers, yall are right, get them bitches back in the kitchen right? :rolleyes:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Topoisomerase posted:

But it's pretty clear what your opinion is on the whole matter anyway, so no point in arguing. Yeah, the women are all divers, yall are right, get them bitches back in the kitchen right? :rolleyes:
I don't think it's misogyny so much as some people not really knowing how to handle playing against women all the time.

From my experience, smaller people running into bigger people usually results in a penalty on the bigger person, whether it was their "fault" or not. I'd chalk it up to a mix of beer league refs not knowing any better, the collisions always looking worse because someone (the big dude) "wins", and the general "gently caress it, we all have to get up in the morning" attitude trying to make sure collisions don't become too common.

Big skilled guys who go hard on the puck earn a boatload of penalties, far and above more than small skilled players. Big clumsy guys usually get a pass unless it's really blatant or stupid, or if they go up against a small clumsy player.

Ice Hockey really was way ahead of its time...

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Got the best news yesterday. My wrist is all healed up and I'm cleared to start playing hockey again! Woooo!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

You're both being obstinate and ridiculous.

vvv edit: There is a double standard held by those involved when playing against women. Hell, I play against a couple of women at drop-in who love bodying up on other players, but go absolutely ballistic when given the slightest contact (moreso than the usual "It's only OK when I do it" mindset pervasive in adult hockey). Whether intentional or not, they telegraph a clear mindset that they must be played differently because they are women. To wit: We've all seen before what can happen when a guy takes out a female player, raising the hackles of the more "chilvalrous" players on her team.

Is it right for any of the parties involved to behave differently? Of course not. But the corollary is that the sex of the opposite player may, in today's beer league environment, have some bearing on the call being made. Referees are not immune to gender stereotypes. Neither are women immune from attempting to use those stereotypes to their advantage in a competitive setting. It's got nothing to do with "getting in the kitchen" or any other hyperbole.

That's why you're being ridiculous, Topoisomerase.

That being said, in the case of the incident above as outlined by liardking: As near as I can tell, the sex of the opposing player had very little to do with the penalty called. Most of us know that calls in cases like this are usually the result of someone being a poor skater. To suggest that the ref was "out to get you" or that, in this case by itself, the ref called you because the other player was a woman is a pretty weak argument.

Potentially if we'd seen it live, we might have a different opinion of the play. But probably not. D-leaguers are notorious for playing like poo poo, and then hiding behind things like "my right to the puck" or "my space" or "hey...it's hockey! expect a little contact!" And that's ridiculous too.

Now can we get back to talking about meaningful poo poo, like what kind of tape holds up your socks better?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 14, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's misogyny and it's really sad but ultimately very typical. The gender had no reason to be mentioned as the only characteristic that needed to be mentioned was the size differential. However it is mentioned to categorize the player using a pre conceived list of stereotypes and place blame for the situation and future situations.

The guy can't stop, took an unsafe angle, hit someone, and is surprised he got a penalty in a lower level no check league. The problem with and solution to the situation has nothing to do with gender, but rather learning to stop in a shorter distance than aircraft carriers stop landing planes.

Also, it's good to see this issue called out every once in a while as it's really common and rarely addressed in a room with a heavily majority if not totally all guys.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 14, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Women in sports are hard for me to deal with, because all they want is to be treated equally but I've easily got 40 pounds of mass worth of advantage on them. When I did basketball in high school there were a few who would get mad at me not pressuring them enough, when really all I wanted to avoid was putting them on their rear end.

I find hockey easier, at least away from the boards. Especially in rec leagues where everyone is moving fairly slow, the physics of ice skating means there's limited angles for incoming collisions (assuming everyone keeps their head up). Makes it easier to soften the contact that does happen.

Now if only the rink would designate women and men's locker rooms. :argh:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

They should have integrated locker rooms. Anything less is sexist. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe in europe, but here in AMURICA men and women aren't allowed to see each other unless fully clothed. :911:

(I have no idea what Canada is like in this regard)

Though a shared locker room works out okay in practice, you can still see some dudes hesitate before stripping down to their boxers, so there's definitely some comfort issues. There's even a couple older guys who will turn around and go to a different locker room if one of the ladies is around.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Gio posted:

They should have integrated locker rooms. Anything less is sexist. :colbert:

Locker rooms in general would be more appropriate than everyone changing in the general spectator area, which is what happens where I play. The best (read: worst) thing is when its your team playing immediately after the Pro team gets done. There's about 50 spectators just kind of milling about on the bleachers and a bunch of players behind them getting changed for the game.

The owner or whatever tries to tell people not to go to their boxers when this happens, but I know no other way to get my girdle/pants on.

I guess locker room integration goes out the window when you're literally stripping in front of everyone who's in the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

The girls on my team change in our locker room. I think we are the only team where they do this though.

lizardking fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 14, 2012