Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bobx66 posted:

I've tried to use this thing 3 times and I've never seen it work. Any tips?

Assuming you have your bowl fully frozen, you also want to make sure your ice cream mix is as close to freezing as possible without being frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

I've tried to use this thing 3 times and I've never seen it work.

Don't be a greedy piggy - make your custard on day one. Fridge overnight to meld flavors, then put into the churn. Once it is aerated and chilled you transfer it to tubs for a hard freeze.

If you must do it the same day plan on making the custard early in the morning and churning at night.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Bobx66 posted:

Has anyone used the grinder? Is it worth buying?

I've never used a "real" grinder, but the Kitchenaid one is pretty decent. I recommend it for your casual grinding needs.

The sausage stuffer attachment, however, is terrible. The grinder doesn't generate enough force on its own to stuff, and you end up having to do a lot of pushing down the feed tube. But the plunger they give you doesn't fit the tube exactly, so stuff ends up just spurting up the sides. It's kind of a nightmare.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bobx66 posted:

the grinder is pretty awful, but at least sort of grinds (in addition to turning your meat into pulp.)

the sausage stuffer however - my god, I'd literally rather shoot myself (non-fatally) in the face 3 times before using it. you know, like, the flabby jawed destroyed flesh, moaning from pain slathering blood around everywhere type of shooting yourself in the face 3 times.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So I've been given money with which to buy a few All-Clad pieces for home use - I guess my priorities are a large saute pan with sloped sides, a smallish stock pot (8 qt?) and maybe a sauce pan.

Is there any consensus as to which of their lines offers the best value? I don't need my kitchen to be blinged out in copper, I just want good cookware to have at home. For example, the MC2 line seems to be cheaper than the regular stainless steel line, has anyone cooked with both? How noticeable is the difference in material between the two?

Lastly, does anyone know of a specific set that might include the above with as few unnecessary pieces as possible? Or am I better off buying piecemeal specifically what I want? As far as price range, I'd like to stay in the $400-$500 range if possible, but I could go a bit higher if need be.

edit: for reference, at home now I have a 10" heavy aluminum saute pan, unfortunately non-stick, an 8" of the same, an egg pan, a 1 qt sauce pan (thin, but copper-bottomed), a 2 qt stainless sauce pan, a piece-of-poo poo stockpot (probably 6 qt) and an enameled cast iron cassoulet. I'd definitely like to replace the saute pans and the stock pot, anything else is gravy.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 3, 2012

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hauki posted:

So I've been given money with which to buy a few All-Clad pieces for home use - I guess my priorities are a large saute pan with sloped sides, a smallish stock pot (8 qt?) and maybe a sauce pan.

Is there any consensus as to which of their lines offers the best value? I don't need my kitchen to be blinged out in copper, I just want good cookware to have at home. For example, the MC2 line seems to be cheaper than the regular stainless steel line, has anyone cooked with both? How noticeable is the difference in material between the two?

Lastly, does anyone know of a specific set that might include the above with as few unnecessary pieces as possible? Or am I better off buying piecemeal specifically what I want? As far as price range, I'd like to stay in the $400-$500 range if possible, but I could go a bit higher if need be.

edit: for reference, at home now I have a 10" heavy aluminum saute pan, unfortunately non-stick, an 8" of the same, an egg pan, a 1 qt sauce pan (thin, but copper-bottomed), a 2 qt stainless sauce pan, a piece-of-poo poo stockpot (probably 6 qt) and an enameled cast iron cassoulet. I'd definitely like to replace the saute pans and the stock pot, anything else is gravy.

Is there a specific reason you're going for All-Clad?

I personally wouldn't bother with getting an expensive stock pot. Given that most of the stuff you do in it is going to be simmering liquids over long periods of time, money spent on avoiding hotspots and quicker responsiveness seems a waste.

I suspect though I could be wrong that you won't find a set with what you want, so I'd buy piecemeal

Do you want a lid with your Saute pan? From what I remember, all-clad saute pans with lids that are large can be a bit of a pain and they might not do them in all their ranges.

So I guess I'd say start with the saute pan, see how much of your budget that's going to eat and work from there.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bobx66 posted:

It's not gonna be anywhere near as good as a dedicated grinder, but it's ok considering it doesn't take up much cabinet space. I do 20-30 pounds of deer meat at a time in mine, and apart from having to pull tendon that wound around the blades every 5-8 pounds, it does fine.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Is there a specific reason you're going for All-Clad?

I personally wouldn't bother with getting an expensive stock pot. Given that most of the stuff you do in it is going to be simmering liquids over long periods of time, money spent on avoiding hotspots and quicker responsiveness seems a waste.

I suspect though I could be wrong that you won't find a set with what you want, so I'd buy piecemeal

Do you want a lid with your Saute pan? From what I remember, all-clad saute pans with lids that are large can be a bit of a pain and they might not do them in all their ranges.

So I guess I'd say start with the saute pan, see how much of your budget that's going to eat and work from there.
Not specifically, while I was given the money explicitly to buy myself All-Clad, I don't think the brand needs to be absolute. I've used their stainless line before in other kitchens, and liked it well enough. If you have something else to recommend, I'm open to it.

I don't necessarily need a lid for the saute pan, although I wouldn't object to having a lid that fit it. I hardly ever use a lid on the saute pans I have now, and if I do, I usually just use parchment anyways.

If I do go piecemeal, I'll happily get a cheaper stock pot of a different brand, like you said, it seems a waste. I've been looking around through the various sets they offer trying to find something close, and I'm thinking this might do if I found a decent stock pot somewhere else. Is it worth shopping around at all? Mostly I've just looked over Amazon, but the other retailers all seem to be in line price-wise, though I don't know if any of them offer other options.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Hauki posted:

Not specifically, while I was given the money explicitly to buy myself All-Clad, I don't think the brand needs to be absolute. I've used their stainless line before in other kitchens, and liked it well enough. If you have something else to recommend, I'm open to it.

I don't necessarily need a lid for the saute pan, although I wouldn't object to having a lid that fit it. I hardly ever use a lid on the saute pans I have now, and if I do, I usually just use parchment anyways.

If I do go piecemeal, I'll happily get a cheaper stock pot of a different brand, like you said, it seems a waste. I've been looking around through the various sets they offer trying to find something close, and I'm thinking this might do if I found a decent stock pot somewhere else. Is it worth shopping around at all? Mostly I've just looked over Amazon, but the other retailers all seem to be in line price-wise, though I don't know if any of them offer other options.

I would look at the cuisinart multi-clad for the stock pot, multi-clad pro for everything else. Although since you have all-clad money you could even get MCP for the stock pot. I think generally reports are declining quality with all-clad such that MCP competes or exceeds at a much lower price point. This has been discussed on previous pages if you work your way back through the thread.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
In terms of stock pots, I would go for one as big as you can reasonably store. I use mine surprisingly often for things like large batches of chicken stock, veal stock if I'm feeling fancy, chile, etc. All things that are good to have around and freeze well. I don't always need it, but often enough there's nothing else that could do the job I'm looking for.

Your mileage may vary, but for me 8 qts isn't nearly big enough.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I got this set on sale for $250 and it's pretty awesome for the money:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-515668/Sur-La-Table-Tri-Ply-Stainless-Steel-9-Piece-Set

Thick, heavy, no hot spots that I've noticed yet, and it's fine in the oven. I do need to give it a deep clean with Barkeeper's Friend this week, though.

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010
Hello GWS, in order to live a less goony lifestyle I’m getting a bunch of kitchen stuff and learning new recipes. I read through the whole thread and was very interested by dino.’s way of cooking a bunch of poo poo in a pressure cooker with stainless bowls and plates, here’s the quote for context:

dino. posted:

I would strongly suggest getting one size bigger though. When I'm making my daal and beans, I like to also put a stainless steel bowl with rice (and enough water to cook it in), and float it on the beans. That way, I knock out two things at the same time, and have dinner done sooner. If my pressure cooker were a bit bigger, I'd be able to fit a second bowl atop the rice, and steam some veg of my choosing too.

First of all, is this pretty easy to set up? I suppose it’s just a matter of placing a bowl of rice on top of the beans (or whatever else is in the cooker), a plate on top of the bowl and then another bowl of veggies on top? If I understood correctly, the goon suggestion here is to get a Presto pressure cooker bigger than 6 Quarts, right? And does aluminium vs. stainless really make a difference?

Secondly, I plan on making a lot of slow-cooking recipes like Chili, Pulled Pork, Spaghetti Sauce, Stu, etc. so I’ll need a slow cooker. Rival Crock Pot seems like the best choice here, is there any specific model I should be looking for or avoiding?

I already have most of my Pots & Pans, utensils and stuff, but I’m wondering what I should get in this list:

- Slow Cooker
- Pressure Cooker
- Big rear end Pot for cooking Stu, Chili or Spaghetti Sauce (Do I just use my slow/ pressure cooker for this now?)
- Rice Cooker (can this be as efficient using my pressure cooker or am I better off getting a cheap Rice Cooker too?)

Thanks!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Get a rice cooker that's covered all over, so as to avoid splattering all over the place:

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-ARC-996-Uncooked-Capacity-Digital/dp/B004O87GQU

Here is the entry on my blog where I show you how I did my setup.

http://altveg.blogspot.com/2012/01/set-up-big-pressure-cooker-for-small.html

It's mainly because I don't need to cook huge quantities for just the two of us. I own a fair few stainless steel bowls, so it's easy for me to do. If you don't, just hit up a dollar store, or Indian store, and grab a few. They're cheap, and durable.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Bobx66 posted:

Be more specific, how've you used it? It's been perfect for me every time. I think a common mistake newbies make, though, is to:

a) Not let the custard set up properly by letting it sit.
b) Using too high of a speed.

My mother never buys ground meat anymore cause its just so much better to grind it yourself. I haven't bought a grinder yet, although I should, but I love using hers when I'm home.

edit Whoops, that wasn't the last page.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MacDeuce posted:

- Rice Cooker (can this be as efficient using my pressure cooker or am I better off getting a cheap Rice Cooker too?)
I currently use an (electric) pressure cooker as a rice cooker and I am very satisfied. The result isn't as good as a fancy Japanese rice cooker (it can't get the rice quite to the same perfectly fluffy consistency), but it only takes about 15 minutes total (including getting up to pressure), so I'm willing to overlook this.

I don't think there's any reason to get a separate, cheap rice cooker. Given that you already have a pressure cooker I would only suggest getting a rice cooker at all if you want a fancy Zojirushi (or Panasonic, etc.) one because you are extremely particular about getting perfect Japanese-style rice and possibly plan to cook rice every day using the timer (in which case the longer cooking time is irrelevant).

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 10, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mystes posted:

I currently use an (electric) pressure cooker as a rice cooker and I am very satisfied. The result isn't as good as a fancy Japanese rice cooker (it can't get the rice quite to the same perfectly fluffy consistency), but it only takes about 15 minutes total (including getting up to pressure), so I'm willing to overlook this.

I don't think there's any reason to get a separate, cheap rice cooker. Given that you already have a pressure cooker I would only suggest getting a rice cooker at all if you want a fancy Zojirushi (or Panasonic, etc.) one because you are extremely particular about getting perfect Japanese-style rice and possibly plan to cook rice every day using the timer (in which case the longer cooking time is irrelevant).

You're absolutely right. In my house, we eat rice at every meal, and I'll finish off about 4 cups in roughly 2 meals. I power through 10 kg of brown rice every month, for me and husband together. With the frequency that I make and eat rice, a dedicated rice cooker is absolutely necessary. I wouldn't be able to keep up with demand if I didn't have one.

At the restaurant, we have that cheapo rice cooker I linked to. It's been trucking along for about a year now, and no problems thus far. We make about 1 pot of rice (6 cups of brown rice, that is, filled with 8 cup line of water to make it correctly) every day. We cook exclusively brown rice, and it makes it perfectly each time. I've used that rice cooker to make quinoa (perfect), kasha (perfect), and millet (perfect).

The thing about a rice cooker is that you have a dedicated machine to make your grains, leaving your pressure cooker free to make the proteins, such as beans and the like. It's also nice to be able to knock up root vegetables in warp speed, while the rice and beans cook. It's mainly a thing of having enough cooking tools to get the job done all at once. If I had to use my pressure cooker for rice, I'd have to cut myself, because it would be a pain in the rear end to have to wait for the grain to cook before I could knock out the rest of the meal.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My best friend is going to be my sous chef at my own wedding.
Since I don't have a wedding party, he's essentially my best man, so I was thinking of presenting him a Shun Premier Santoku or Chef's knife as a gift. Which would you prefer, or if neither, what would you find most useful in the $160-$200 range?

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

I see that there. posted:

Since I don't have a wedding party, he's essentially my best man, so I was thinking of presenting him a Shun Premier Santoku or Chef's knife as a gift. Which would you prefer, or if neither, what would you find most useful in the $160-$200 range?

I have a set (santoku, bread, utility, and paring) of Shun classic knives and I absolutely love them. I registered for them for my wedding two years ago and we only got the paring knife. I ended up just buying the rest with gift cards/etc... Admittedly, I haven't handled a whole lot of top-end knives, but I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Shuns. Despite using the santoku for an average of one meal per day over two years without honing at all (I know, I'm terrible), it was still razor sharp. Unless you're absolutely retarded, that knife will last a lifetime. Plus the Shuns are just beautiful and are a great conversation piece hanging on my bamboo magnetic strips. I would definitely recommend.

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

What are you doing, Julian! The chicken fingers aren’t even cooked! You want us to get sasparilla or something, you dick!

Chef's knife. I have big hands, so I use the 10". It's served me well in very heavy use for 5 years now. The fake damascus is faded significantly, but the handle is still in good shape, and it takes and holds a wicked sharp edge. It's a good knife. I actually prefer the D handle of the originals, but ymmv.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I spent a good amount of time going through this thread tonight and finding plenty of great product recommendations. My fiance and I are starting our wedding registry and I hope to replace the majority of our handed down/cheap cookware with nicer stuff in the coming year.

From what I've read it seems the Cuisinart MCU-12 is a well recommended cookware set, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on this set over at Bed Bath & Beyond as I couldn't find the MCU-12 set on their website. I realize BB&B is overpriced compared to Amazon, but unfortunately we have many relatives who are not as computer savvy so having a registry on Amazon and BB&B seems to be the direction we are going to take.

I'd love to get more general product recommendations as well. We already have a KitchenAid mixer (otherwise it would have been one of the first things on my list) and some decent (probably not the best) knifes. Some items I'd think I would like to look for include an electric griddle, blender, and toaster (all to replace the cheap ones we currently have).

I'm actually finding it kind of difficult to come up with a list for the registry as I don't want to over-do it with expensive items. Maybe it'd just be easier to ask; if you were able to put anything on a gift registry within reason, what would you want?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

santoku. that's a nice 'wedding party' gift!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If they're the sous at a wedding, I'd imagine they already have a Chef's knife they like.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Protip posted:

I spent a good amount of time going through this thread tonight and finding plenty of great product recommendations. My fiance and I are starting our wedding registry and I hope to replace the majority of our handed down/cheap cookware with nicer stuff in the coming year.

From what I've read it seems the Cuisinart MCU-12 is a well recommended cookware set, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on this set over at Bed Bath & Beyond as I couldn't find the MCU-12 set on their website. I realize BB&B is overpriced compared to Amazon, but unfortunately we have many relatives who are not as computer savvy so having a registry on Amazon and BB&B seems to be the direction we are going to take.
You're paying a lot more for a set that has disc bottoms. You're better off just asking a relative to get you the MCU-12 independently of the registry.

quote:

I'd love to get more general product recommendations as well. We already have a KitchenAid mixer (otherwise it would have been one of the first things on my list) and some decent (probably not the best) knifes. Some items I'd think I would like to look for include an electric griddle, blender, and toaster (all to replace the cheap ones we currently have).

I'm actually finding it kind of difficult to come up with a list for the registry as I don't want to over-do it with expensive items. Maybe it'd just be easier to ask; if you were able to put anything on a gift registry within reason, what would you want?
Here are things you haven't mentioned that I use enough that I would buy them again if my house burned down:

BeaterBlade™ for your mixer
food processor
cast iron skillet
nonstick pan
wooden spoon set
whisk
metal spatula
plastic spatula (if you have a nonstick pan)
silicone spoon/scraper
tongs
meat probe thermometer
kitchen timers
candy/fry thermometer
kitchen shears
oven mitts/pads
rice cooker
mini toaster oven
cutting boards
knife sharpener
honing steel
digital kitchen scale
mandolin slicer
immersion/stick blender
coffee grinder (mostly for spices)
lots of pyrex poo poo:
mixing bowls,
custard bowls,
casserole pans,
bread pans,
pie pans,
but don't get their loving measuring cups
liquid measuring cups (oxo)
dry measuring cups (also oxo)
measuring spoons
steamer basket
flour sifter
box grater
micro-rasp grater
salad spinner
can opener
potato masher
pizza cutter
cookie dough scoops
dough blade
garlic press
citrus squeezer
pie knife
vegetable peeler
basting brush
salt and pepper grinding mills
strainer
collander
cooling rack
basting brush
cookie sheet
round cake pan
square cake pan

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 11, 2012

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Steve Yun posted:

Here are things you haven't mentioned that I use enough that I would buy them again if my house burned down:

If your house burned down, the cast iron skillet would emerge from the ashes, perfectly seasoned.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Steve Yun posted:

You're paying a lot more for a set that has disc bottoms. You're better off just asking a relative to get you the MCU-12 independently of the registry.
We will be registering at Amazon as well, so I'll stick with the MCU-12 through them. We have a lot of family members who aren't as computer savvy which is why we're also doing BB&B.

quote:

AWESOME LIST
Thanks so much for that fantastic list! While I do have many of items you listed, you've given me plenty to think about and consider when making the registry. I guess I can always just go all out and see what we end up with. We will be spending a long time at the store today as we work on the registry as I'm sure I'll be researching products as we go along to make sure I'm not adding overpriced poor quality items to our list.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Ok, so I have a basic set of Cuisinart Cookware, and a Lodge Logic cast iron pan, and here's the thing. The Lodge Logic cast iron pan really sucks. I've followed all the recommendations of the internet w/r/t seasoning and whatnot, trying to get it to build up a good patina like my mom's cast iron (which she bought from an antique store), but it just isn't happening. It came pre-seasoned and whatever they used sucks and sort of started flaking/peeling off. Additionally, I'm not convinced the bottom of the plan is flat, as if I'm cooking in oil it always settles exactly the same way with a little crescent shaped area of the pan dry. This area never builds the little bit of patina that the rest of the pan manages, so whenever I cook something like eggs, I always have a crescent shaped area of egg stuck to it. I'm pretty fed up with it, and the skillet in the Cuisinart is pretty mediocre, seeing that it is sort of a starter set.

I've been starting to cook a bit more, so I was thinking it might be worth the money to get one really nice main pan. I cook/eat pretty low-carb, lots of steak, eggs, green veggies. A nicer stainless steel pan like All-Clad or whatever doesn't add as much to what I have, I'm kind of fed up with my cast iron pan, and I don't feel like standard non-stick pans would be as good for cooking meat. I was kind of thinking of picking up a Le Creuset Signature Fry Pan as my main piece. I'd be really interested to hear what more experienced chefs here would recommend for my situation.

EDIT: That isn't the exact set I have, the set I have has all metal lids, straight vertical sides on the pots and cost like $200ish a few years ago, I just couldn't find it exactly and that one has all the same pieces.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 11, 2012

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PRADA SLUT posted:

If they're the sous at a wedding, I'd imagine they already have a Chef's knife they like.

This is truth, especially if he cooks professionally. Ask him where he shops for pans or uniforms, and get him a giftcard for the place. Or see if he needs any new chef whites or anything of the sort.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Shopping for people who cook a lot is hard because they often have whatever it is you bought them.

I know because almost everything my friends and family bought me over the last year was something I already owned :smith:

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN

TheQuietWilds posted:

Ok, so I have a basic set of Cuisinart Cookware, and a Lodge Logic cast iron pan, and here's the thing. The Lodge Logic cast iron pan really sucks. I've followed all the recommendations of the internet w/r/t seasoning and whatnot, trying to get it to build up a good patina like my mom's cast iron (which she bought from an antique store), but it just isn't happening. It came pre-seasoned and whatever they used sucks and sort of started flaking/peeling off. Additionally, I'm not convinced the bottom of the plan is flat, as if I'm cooking in oil it always settles exactly the same way with a little crescent shaped area of the pan dry. This area never builds the little bit of patina that the rest of the pan manages, so whenever I cook something like eggs, I always have a crescent shaped area of egg stuck to it. I'm pretty fed up with it, and the skillet in the Cuisinart is pretty mediocre, seeing that it is sort of a starter set.

I've been starting to cook a bit more, so I was thinking it might be worth the money to get one really nice main pan. I cook/eat pretty low-carb, lots of steak, eggs, green veggies. A nicer stainless steel pan like All-Clad or whatever doesn't add as much to what I have, I'm kind of fed up with my cast iron pan, and I don't feel like standard non-stick pans would be as good for cooking meat. I was kind of thinking of picking up a Le Creuset Signature Fry Pan as my main piece. I'd be really interested to hear what more experienced chefs here would recommend for my situation.

EDIT: That isn't the exact set I have, the set I have has all metal lids, straight vertical sides on the pots and cost like $200ish a few years ago, I just couldn't find it exactly and that one has all the same pieces.

Don't get that pan. You're going to have to baby it because it's covered in enamel. You don't have to baby cast iron.

You're probably just not using enough fat/oil or not heating up your pan enough. It's not going to be super non-stick like a teflon pan, but it'll be good enough. I make eggs over easy on my cast iron all the time. Sometimes I can even flip them with just the pan because it's so slick, sometimes the eggs stick.

If you don't think your cast iron is smooth enough, sand it down. Use a metal spatula. Use it all the time. Cast iron is great for meat.

If you do get another stainless steel pan, get a 12", but it's not going to be different than what you've already got. Like I said, you probably need to use more oil or make your pan hotter.

I'm sure you've read the resources in the NCISA cast iron thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461844

But if you haven't this is a good seasoning guide:
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Here's an overall guide to cast iron use:
http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02/16/heavy-metal-the-science-of-cast-iron-cooking/

EDIT: I'm not an experienced chef

Crazak P fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 12, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TheQuietWilds posted:

you're going about this all wrong. non-stick is only a concern for delicate protein-based things like eggs and fish. and you want a teflon pan for those, not cast iron.

for all other meats you want stainless steel. if you want a nice pan, get one that's heavy as poo poo, and maybe has copper somehow involved.

the only people who would tell you to get cast iron to cook out of are kitschy loving goons, most of which aren't any better at cooking than you are. and you already have cast iron anyways, and hate it, so don't continue down that route.

the stainless you have is probably fine, so just focus on your technique. if you cook properly, your stainless should stick just as infrequently as a mediocrely-seasoned cast iron, with the added benefit of you can scrub the poo poo out of it and don't have to feel like you're loving up your grandma's legacy. or being rated 'inept' on the 'goon-kitsch-cooking-o-meter'.

the one caveat may be hard-anodized cookware. they are a lot more forgiving as far as non-stick goes, if you're having problems with technique. but they still let you brown meats almost as nicely as stainless. and you can use metal on them and throw them in the dishwasher, so they aren't as fussy as teflon or cast iron. check one out?

edit: I'm an experienced chef.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm looking at dual-fuel ranges for sometime next year (no gas hookup in the house, so have to take care of that first). Does anyone have any recommendations? Would a double oven like so:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KDRS505XSS.html

provide any real benefit at all?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mindphlux posted:

the only people who would tell you to get cast iron to cook out of are kitschy loving goons

rated 'inept' on the 'goon-kitsch-cooking-o-meter'.

Oh please, did a cast iron pan run over your dog or something?

Cast iron is a perfectly good material for a pan, but like all others, there are things it isn't ideal for. Like pan sauces where stainless is King.

But it all comes down to taste, and if he doesn't like his current cast iron, I agree there's no reason to buy enameled cast iron. I love mine for dishes that need to simmer for a long time or for acidic stuff, but it's not nearly as nice to fry on as well-seasoned bare cast iron or carbon steel.

Everyone should have a stainless steel pan and a cast iron or carbon steel pan. Teflon is debatable, I threw my old one away years ago because it was worn out and I haven't missed it once.

edit: I like food.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

KozmoNaut posted:

Everyone should have a stainless steel pan and a cast iron or carbon steel pan. Teflon is debatable, I threw my old one away years ago because it was worn out and I haven't missed it once.

I think teflon is nice for eggs, frying or scrambling, and maybe for when frying fish in a dry pan. The cheapest available one works well for those purpouses, I think.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Around Xmas time, I'd made a list of what to get your cookist friends that they'll never have enough of:

http://altveg.blogspot.com/2011/12/what-to-get-your-cooking-friends.html

Granted, none of it's expensive per se, but it certainly helps to have a range of stuff to buy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

I'm looking at dual-fuel ranges for sometime next year (no gas hookup in the house, so have to take care of that first). Does anyone have any recommendations? Would a double oven like so:

I have lusted after one for a while now. As for gas, I currently live in the sticks so my stove is propane. I can hook it up to a 5g BBQ gas bottle, which lasts for like a month or two. Install seems to be "drill hole in wall, run line through" simple. I have seen a few duel fuel stoves that can be converted to propane.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

bunnielab posted:

I have lusted after one for a while now. As for gas, I currently live in the sticks so my stove is propane. I can hook it up to a 5g BBQ gas bottle, which lasts for like a month or two. Install seems to be "drill hole in wall, run line through" simple. I have seen a few duel fuel stoves that can be converted to propane.

From what I've seen, every dual fuel either comes with an LP conversion kit or it can be ordered as an accessory.

I've narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/EW30DS75KS.html

or

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/C2S985SETSS.html

It's kind of a slog going through the different models, but AJ Madison seems to have the best layout for comparison shopping, at least.

Now just to wait for a price drop on either.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

TheQuietWilds posted:

It came pre-seasoned and whatever they used sucks and sort of started flaking/peeling off. Additionally, I'm not convinced the bottom of the plan is flat, as if I'm cooking in oil it always settles exactly the same way with a little crescent shaped area of the pan dry.

Cast iron can be dumb as hell sometimes. Get a wire brush, hook it to an electric drill and grind the hell out of your pan's interior until you have nice bare metal. Get rid of all that dumb factory seasoning stuff in one go. Wash it out with soap and water and then start cooking with it again. Use plenty of fatty meats and oils to start and it should start perking back up rapidly.

To solve the oil pooling in a section problem - pick up the opposite corner of the pan and let the oil run back to the dry section. :v:

GD_American - my birthday is coming up, please buy me one of those dual-fuel stoves. Thanks in advance. :swoon:

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I recently got a job as a sushi chef apprentice. If I wanted to buy my own, could anyone recommend decently priced knives made for preparing sushi? I'm not sure if it's something I'll stick with so I'd like to purchase maybe only one or two knives to cover the different tasks involved.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FishBowlRobot posted:

I recently got a job as a sushi chef apprentice. If I wanted to buy my own, could anyone recommend decently priced knives made for preparing sushi? I'm not sure if it's something I'll stick with so I'd like to purchase maybe only one or two knives to cover the different tasks involved.

you should really ask your chef. aside from ensuring you don't look daft, you'll have a chance to suck rear end a bit, which is always good.

you already have a chef's knife if you're working as a cook, so just keep using that. no reason to go out and buy a yanagi or whatever if noone is expecting you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GD_American posted:

Go with induction instead! Cook with magnet ghosts!

• Locked thread