Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Kelly died because of me :smith: Does this have any long term consequences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Creepy Goat posted:

Wait wait what the heck, just finished second playthrough and the Catalyst says the Reapers left Humans alone last time they were here. The Reapers come every 50k years, but Humans have only existed for like 2000 years? This is worse than when my high school Biology teacher insisted that Polar Bears hunt Penguins in the North Pole.

Genetically modern humans first appear in the fossil record about 35,000 years ago.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Mr. Stingly posted:

I don't mean to sound like "that guy", and I hope I don't come across that way, but all the gay options in the game are really throwing me off and not vibing with me. I've always played male Shep, and Kaidan was my favorite sidekick in ME 1 because of Throw and Singularity. I was annoyed he acted like a jerk in ME 2.

So he's back, and oh no, my best bro got hosed up. I'm going to visit him in the hospital and see if he's cleared to rejoin the team. A lot. We're having a good time, we're catching up. I'm being nice to him because you don't go all renegade on best bro Kaidan. Fast forward a week, and Kaidan would like to chat at a cafe. I know something is wrong because Kaidan is sitting stiffly, pretending to hold a drink, but there's nothing in his hand. I sit down and things get weird. This whole time I thought we were good war buddies but Kaidan totally fell in love with me. I must have missed the signals I was putting out. So great, now this is super awkward.
I don't wanna sound like "that other guy," but I just wanna clarify that the only way for this to happen is for you to have not initiated or kept up any other romance whatsoever with any other character throughout the course of ME1, ME2, and ME3...for anyone keeping track, that's six ladies and one gentleman option for the discerning ManShep. So, honestly, considering that Kaidan's cafe scene happens more than halfway into the very last game of the series, on top of the fact that he could've died twice throughout the story, you pretty much have to work to make this happen.

I mean, sucks for anyone who stumbled upon it being by a completely celibate but friendly space marine, but compared to ME1 and ME2 I think this game did a pretty good job to make sure these characters don't just accidentally trip and fall face-first into your crotch.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Hey, where can I find one of those modified files that let me not worry about having to play multiplayer by cranking the readiness stat from one of your assets up high so you can still get a quality ending? Google was unhelpful. I don't want to have to play MP for it.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

El_Elegante posted:

Only if you're a creationist.

Uh, even they think that humans have been a species since before 1 AD. 2000 years, really?!

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Genetically modern humans first appear in the fossil record about 35,000 years ago.

I misread 200,000 years as 2000 :psyduck:, too much playing not enough sleeping it seems. Anatomical humans originated in Africa around 200k years ago, and yeah then reached genetic/behavioural around 35-50k years ago.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The point is they don't wipe out all life, just the most advanced.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Hey, where can I find one of those modified files that let me not worry about having to play multiplayer by cranking the readiness stat from one of your assets up high so you can still get a quality ending? Google was unhelpful. I don't want to have to play MP for it.

There is no stat to get a quality ending, but excluding one 2 second clip added onto one of the endings: you only need 2500 to get access to all the endings. This is super easy to get without any multiplayer.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

LibbyM posted:

There is no stat to get a quality ending, but excluding one 2 second clip added onto one of the endings: you only need 2500 to get access to all the endings. This is super easy to get without any multiplayer.

Oh. I've got like 3400 effective, 6800 actual. I thought if you crank it up there were bonuses. :smith:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Mr.Flibble posted:

The best way to use it in both ME2 and ME3 is to use squad cryo to give it to your teammates while you use a different ammo for yourself. In both games my guys were freezing dudes left and right. It's more effective in ME3 because the power is better and because there less dudes that have protections that need to be striped before it works, but its still good in ME2.

Cryo ammo is amazing and should be used like above. It actually works on armored opponents too but is less effective. Cryo revenant is so satisfying.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Besides that soul sucking depression your feeling? No.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"
Question for you PC to 360 save game modders:

My friend has lost his save file on his 360, I told him no prob I could cook up a similar save for him via massefect2saves and some forum searching.

My question is, everything I've run into mentions moving the career file off of the 360 on to a flash drive and then modding it via modio/gibbed's editor. Is there any way for me to just create a career for him straight up? Or does he need to start an ME2 game and then we fix it from there?

Hidohebhi fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 14, 2012

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

Only if you're a creationist.

No not even close. Jesus was around 2000 years ago...he wasn't the first.

Anyways, just read up on the indoctrination theory and I have to say it sounds pretty viable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arkitektbmw posted:

Anyways, just read up on the indoctrination theory and I have to say it sounds pretty viable.

It's not so much that it's viable in objective terms as it is that it's the only explanation that doesn't make less and less sense the more you think about it.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Mr. Stingly posted:

Fast forward a week, and Kaidan would like to chat at a cafe. I know something is wrong because Kaidan is sitting stiffly, pretending to hold a drink, but there's nothing in his hand. I sit down and things get weird. This whole time I thought we were good war buddies but Kaidan totally fell in love with me. I must have missed the signals I was putting out. So great, now this is super awkward.

I've never had to tell a prospective LI I'm not interested in the other games. That's whats so odd about ME 3. Every time someone requests a private chat, you get soft piano music, unusually intimate and sentimental dialogue choices. Every encounter is like: "wait whats going on, am I flirting with this dude? I thought we were just talking about Thannix Cannons..."

I'm going to jump in here, because as a gay man I'm on the other end of this situation all the time. Mass effect 1 I had to literally beat liara off me with a stick and repeatedly say 'not interested'. In Mass effect 2 I had Tali wanting to sync suits, jack wanting to jump me in the engineering bay and Miranda coming onto me immediately after rescuing her sister.

It's annoying - I hear you, but the Kaidan romance conversation you got can be avoided pretty easily by someone wanting to play a scared of gay people commander shepard. Commit to another person before you have that 'cafe' scene and he'll never bring it up and toast to your friendship instead. There's plenty of time to start a relationship with liara, cortez, allers (ew - jesus why) or restart your one with jack, miranda or tali before that scene.

all the romances kick in when you get your virmire survivor back, it's just up to you to decide which one you talk to first and set into stone.

Also is it really that bad that a character told you they loved you? It sure as hell was awkward when Tali started going there in mass effect 2, but you can shoot it down immediately and move on unlike the last game which locks you out of further conversation dialogues with them.

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, sucks for anyone who stumbled upon it being by a completely celibate but friendly space marine, but compared to ME1 and ME2 I think this game did a pretty good job to make sure these characters don't just accidentally trip and fall face-first into your crotch.
I disagree, it doesn't suck. Kaidan the character is allowed to have emotions and feelings and then express them regardless of your shepard's sexuality. It's your choice and freedom as Shepard to decide to act on them or not.

Once again, this is exactly like Liara in mass effect 1, she's always going to have feelings for you, whether or not you want to accept them is your choice.

This is what makes mass effect better than Dragon Age in regards to queer sexuality by the way. There are characters in this game (ashley, garrus, tali, jack, miranda,) who are straight, characters who are bi (Liara kaidan,) and characters who are gay (cortez and traynor). They make no excuses about it and aren't compromised by your decision to play a male or female shepard. They don't magically all turn gay/lesbian based on your gender.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 14, 2012

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

Infinite Monkeys posted:

If she lives she can get you some war assets.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Arkitektbmw posted:

I seriously doubt the indotrination theory, mostly because it'd be really really lovely for us to buy a game without a proper ending. Imagine the backlash of a developer selling you a game and not even giving you a real ending only to sell it later as DLC, there would be hell to pay.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

LibbyM posted:

It's not so much that I feel I am entitled to the ending I want, just any ending that isn't 100% bs.

Part of me thinks the hallucination theory, the idea that Harbinger is basically trying to trick Shepard into controlling or synthesing with the Reapers (Saren's plan in ME1 was literally Synthesis), is incredible. None of it actually happens. I'm happy with that theory. The 'perfect' end is Shepard waking up in the aftermath of Harbinger's strike on Hammer.

Then I realise that if that's the ending then absolutely nothing is actually resolved and I loop around to hating the ending again. And it makes the conversations with TIM and Anderson absolutely meaningless.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Banjodark posted:

I'm going to jump in here, because as a gay man I'm on the other end of this situation all the time. Mass effect 1 I had to literally beat liara off me with a stick and repeatedly say 'not interested'. In Mass effect 2 I had Tali wanting to sync suits, jack wanting to jump me in the engineering bay and Miranda coming onto me immediately after rescuing her sister.

It's annoying - I hear you, but the Kaidan romance conversation you got can be avoided pretty easily by someone wanting to play a scared of gay people commander shepard. Commit to another person before you have that 'cafe' scene and he'll never bring it up and toast to your friendship instead. There's plenty of time to start a relationship with liara, cortez, allers (ew - jesus why) or restart your one with jack, miranda or tali before that scene.

all the romances kick in when you get your virmire survivor back, it's just up to you to decide which one you talk to first and set into stone.

Also is it really that bad that a character told you they loved you? It sure as hell was awkward when Tali started going there in mass effect 2, but you can shoot it down immediately and move on unlike the last game which locks you out of further conversation dialogues with them.

All of the crew member conversations (throughout the entire series, not just ME3) would have really benefited from having neutral options. I never understood why in so many conversations there was no middle ground between being flirty or telling them to get lost. I want to learn about all the character's backgrounds but I don't want to waste time going through all the romance plots to do it.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

MadHat posted:

Can't believe I'm actually bothered by the death of an imaginary videogame character but... :smithicide:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

MadHat posted:

Wait, is there a way to not have this happen? Kelly was alive on my file, but after the cerberus raid on the citadel, I overheard refugee's talking about her dying.

VV I totally forgot that was a conversation option with her.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 14, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Gadzuko posted:

All of the crew member conversations (throughout the entire series, not just ME3) would have really benefited from having neutral options. I never understood why in so many conversations there was no middle ground between being flirty or telling them to get lost. I want to learn about all the character's backgrounds but I don't want to waste time going through all the romance plots to do it.
Yep, but I suppose what I'm saying here is you can play your friendship with Kaidan rather neutrally/paragon/best friend and have no problems. He'll flirt with you once in the hospital and profess his love if you dont shack up with someone else, but if you shoot it down, you go back to having a neutral, close friendship and that seems fine to me.

I agree about ME3 though, there's no middle ground when talking to these characters. The worst example is Vega for female shepards. You either flirt shamelessly with him or are a renegade hard-rear end. You're locked out of the more neutral paragon responses that male shepard gets with him and you can argue that it's not fair that male shepard can't flirt like a shameless whore at him as well.

as for neutral options in mass effect 1 - they didn't change much, Liara would still attempt to hit on you even when you took the most neutral/careful questions, you'd HAVE to shoot her down at some point or just be vicious to her from the start. The point is, once you make your decision, it's done and you get that more neutral/interesting friendship develop with the character.

It's better than mass effect 2's 'locking you out of this character's progression and development because you're not sleeping with them' shtick, which they did with Jack, Thane and to a lesser extent, Tali.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 14, 2012

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

LibbyM posted:

Wait, is there a way to not have this happen? Kelly was alive on my file, but after the cerberus raid on the citadel, I overheard refugee's talking about her dying.

Yes, convince her to change her identity.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

LibbyM posted:

Apparently you can get her to change her name if you meet her on the citadel, then she doesn't die.

farfidnuggin
May 9, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Can't believe I'm actually bothered by the death of an imaginary videogame character but... :smithicide:

I admit that a lot of stuff affected me emotionally. Kelly's death was shocking. Mordin's sacrifice shattered me. Broing out with Garrus and letting him win the marksmanship contest was incredibly touching.

But Liara, she affected me the most. I say that as someone who has never really liked her character. Her time capsule broke my heart. The mind-meld? Resting her head on Shepard's shoulder was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

nessin posted:

Your Paragon/Renegade options for that part of the game are dependent on some factors from ME2, so you may meet all the requirements in ME3 but still not be able to select them.
I finally found a list of things you need to do for this. I know I did all I could in ME3 but my Tali was exiled and I didn't kill the Geth so I guess I can't get it. Now I wish I remembered what I did for my renegade run.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Man video game developers really love Tron don't they? If it's futuristic computer programming, it means Tron/Matrix style GUI representation poo poo. Mailboxes are network nodes! Firewalls are, well...walls made of fire!

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

CaptainCarrot posted:

Have you talked to them?
Yeah, they just stayed fetal by a guard rail and kept saying how they were going to die while I killed wave after wave of infinitely spawning bad guys. Eventually they got up and ran after I just ran around the level looking for something else to do and the bad guys stopped coming in.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

farfidnuggin posted:

I admit that a lot of stuff affected me emotionally. Kelly's death was shocking. Mordin's sacrifice shattered me. Broing out with Garrus and letting him win the marksmanship contest was incredibly touching.

But Liara, she affected me the most. I say that as someone who has never really liked her character. Her time capsule broke my heart. The mind-meld? Resting her head on Shepard's shoulder was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

I would say the worst character moment for me in the game was finding out about joker's sister, then putting the connection between his story of her and the asari commando with PSTD in the citadel together.

Then you can approve her denied request for a gun license at the spectre terminal and let her kill herself if you're feeling truly evil.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Ending question: Does the save file have a flag or variable for whether or not Shepard lives?

Banjodark posted:

I would say the worst character moment for me in the game was finding out about joker's sister, then putting the connection between his story of her and the asari commando with PSTD in the citadel together.

Then you can approve her denied request for a gun license at the spectre terminal and let her kill herself if you're feeling truly evil.

Wow, that'll teach me not to mindlessly rubber stamp all Spectre terminal requests.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Just finished the game, and while I got the ending spoiled to me by an rear end in a top hat on Steam I still wasn't expecting to be so conflicted about the whole thing.

As in, I HAVE SO MANY GODDAMN QUESTIONS. Argh.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I was in Belgium and northern France this weekend with my brothers, on a World War 1 tour.

We came across a monument, and I thought it looked like the mini-relay on Ilos.

I think I might spend too much time thinking about Mass Effect. At least after getting burned on the ending, that will probably subside.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DerDestroyer posted:

Wow, that'll teach me not to mindlessly rubber stamp all Spectre terminal requests.
I found this out rather early, and I'm not even finished with the game. When the Asari asked for a gun I thought maybe it would calm her down and then later she'd do something heroic so she could redeem herself in her own eyes. In reality they gave it to her and she offed herself immediately :smith:

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

richardfun posted:

I was in Belgium and northern France this weekend with my brothers, on a World War 1 tour.

We came across a monument, and I thought it looked like the mini-relay on Ilos.

I think I might spend too much time thinking about Mass Effect. At least after getting burned on the ending, that will probably subside.

It's the Canadian memorial at Vimy Ridge. :stare:

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

farfidnuggin posted:

You really owe it to yourself to do a run where you romance Liara - and specifically one where you go into ME3 as a Shepard who romanced her and stayed faithful. I'm not saying you need to play through ME1 and Me2 in their entirety for this if you don't want to, you can just take a shepard save from Me2 with the choices you want and import that, but you might want to try it.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

I found this out rather early, and I'm not even finished with the game. When the Asari asked for a gun I thought maybe it would calm her down and then later she'd do something heroic so she could redeem herself in her own eyes. In reality they gave it to her and she offed herself immediately :smith:

Yeah, that whole conversation and set of events really surprised me. It has to be one of, if not the, single most interesting and just sad conversation you can overhear from all 3 games.

I never made the connection to Joker, even though I heard both her conversation in its entirety and listened to Joker. It's even more :smith: to hear about that now.

And I gave her the gun too, because I didn't think that blindly authorizing everything would actually be bad. I figured maybe it would just give her comfort. Then I read that she shot herself and just got all depressed about it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do with the Eden Prime Resistance movement. During Javik's recruitment I picked up two pieces of intel and now the quest is sitting in my log and I have no idea what to do. Going back to Eden Prime does nothing.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Lotish posted:

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do with the Eden Prime Resistance movement. During Javik's recruitment I picked up two pieces of intel and now the quest is sitting in my log and I have no idea what to do. Going back to Eden Prime does nothing.

From what I've heard, you can't do anything. If you didn't get all 3 pieces of intel, it will apparently sit in your quest log forever.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Banjodark posted:

I'm going to jump in here, because as a gay man I'm on the other end of this situation all the time. Mass effect 1 I had to literally beat liara off me with a stick and repeatedly say 'not interested'.
I will point out that Liara isn't actually female, and the Asari are omnigendered and morph to have whatever needed biology their mates require on a case-by-case basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Shame she doesn't morph into a rugged and handsome manly man for someone interested in those things. And refers to herself and other asari with female pronouns.

All the same, I kind of wonder at what point the Asari broke from standard sexual reproduction in their evolutionary line. If you take our own genetics, the Y chromosome is a damaged or mutated form of the X. In time, some geneticists theorize that the Y will break entirely, and at that point it'll be impossible for males to either be created or breed more males. At this point it'll be necessary for females to either recreate the Y or find a different means of reproduction, possibly involving cloning.

Self-cloning is essentially what the Asari do, but they randomize their DNA through the use of their biotic melding ability. Assuming they had males at one point in their evolution (as they do behave as sexual creatures), did they develop this melding ability before their males died out or as a response to their males ceasing to exist/not breeding true? Once the females were able to make their children without actual sexual contact, males would be strictly unnecessary, and would not be created from the self-cloning process. They could have just become obsolete.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 14, 2012

• Locked thread