Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Are Dave and Karkat's red the same color? Also, I think it shows great growth for Karkat to use red with himself. I mean, yeah, everyone else knows, but he held onto that gray with a deathgrip.

Not quite. Karkat is using full #FF0000 here; Dave's is a bit darker and less saturated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They're marginally differed shades of red; Karkat's is pure 255 red while Dave's text is slightly duller. The hex codes for their colours are #ff0000 and #e00707 respectively.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Midnight Raider posted:

In Aradia's case, she was dead for less than a year. However, it seems her spirit didn't actually move on, to a dreambubble OR the conventional afterlife, and instead lingered. It seems that lingering as a ghost may really do something to your personality. Perhaps the truth is that a part of your soul DOES move on, but a mere shadow of yourself remains, a shade of negative feelings that can't properly move on. What's stranger is how she seemed to maintain some of this when she became a sprite, which supposedly should have brought her back in the same manner Nanna was, but seemed to maintain (some) of the lack of energy and emotion she previously had in life.

Entering the soul bot, while not really a proper revival, also gave her a bit more pep, but she was still generally pretty much a well of negative feelings, and still sort of a vengeful ghost sort of person. Only re-uniting with her dream self brought her back 'properly' and closer to the person she was in life. So my theory is perhaps that Spriteification doesn't properly bring back spirits who never properly and fully went to the afterlife in the first place. Possibly, whatever was missing from Aradia when she died actually went to her dreamself, which explains why she was complete as a person again when she was reunited with both of her selves in God Tier form. Maybe that is a 'special case' that happens with players who die before the game in general.
How about this: walking through a fourth wall portal to a universe when you're dead makes you a spirit like Aradia was when we were introduced to her. She died as per all the rules of the paradoxverse when Sollux killed her, but found a fourth wall and walked out to keep doing her thing. Bam.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Midnight Raider posted:

What's stranger is how she seemed to maintain some of this when she became a sprite, which supposedly should have brought her back in the same manner Nanna was, but seemed to maintain (some) of the lack of energy and emotion she previously had in life.

Every other resurrected sprite was prototyped with a corpse, and so come back as a copy of that person. Aradiasprite was prototyped with a ghost, and so came back as a copy of a ghost. It seems that the sprite system only animates the inanimate (Calsprite, every Corpsesprite) if only so they can perform their function. Much like Davesprite, Aradia was already animate, and so remained mostly unchanged. ribbit.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Would there have been different results if Aradia's corpse had been prototyped, instead of her ghost?

e: everybody's beating me to the punch today

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Anyone getting antsy to see what the latest hurdle is for the Karkat/Terezi relationship?

They strike me as having one of the most by-the-book relationships of the comic. Main Guy/Main Girl (of their session), destined to have as many bumps in their will-they-or-won't-they love story as the plot needs, and certainly for as long as the plot lasts.

I mean on the other hand they're adolescents which is the right time for these problems to emerge, but still. Hearing that they're having trouble after their little rooftop get-together gave me the same feeling as when you watch a sequel and the main couple from the last film start having problem since their love-life needs to be made interesting again to squeeze plot out of.

Do all trolls grow at the same rate? The highbloods supposedly live much longer than the lowbloods, but that might just translate to them living longer once they reach adulthood. It'd be weird/kind of sad if the different casts of trolls' lifespans started pulling them apart.

*edit* gonna go with the observation of a lot of "guy loses his girl to some other guy" film posters in Karkat's room foreshadows that Terezi's all over Dave at least up to this point, leaving Karkat resentful.

...This isn't shipping, is it? Someone warn me if it is.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 14, 2012

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dolash posted:

Do all trolls grow at the same rate? The highbloods supposedly live much longer than the lowbloods, but that might just translate to them living longer once they reach adulthood. It'd be weird/kind of sad if the different casts of trolls' lifespans started pulling them apart.

This kinda gets me wondering about how long Karkat's got. I think it was mentioned that Aradia/Handmaid might live to about two dozen sweeps or so given a natural lifespan, so she'd die pretty young by modern human standards.

Of course, Aradia went God Tier and the Handmaid had her lifespan increased so she could work for Doc Scratch, so it's not like it matters for either of them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Slime posted:

This kinda gets me wondering about how long Karkat's got. I think it was mentioned that Aradia/Handmaid might live to about two dozen sweeps or so given a natural lifespan, so she'd die pretty young by modern human standards.

It's implied that Karkat would be a nice, just-below-medium shade of green if he weren't a mutant. Though he is probably at an elevated risk for that troll disease called arterial hypertension.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

God drat, Karkat is telling himself off. :stare:

Also Can Town lives :3:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
WV, Terezi and Dave remaking Can Town is absolutely adorable.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The image of Karkat just looping through self-directed vitriol into forever is loving magical :allears:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Aw, come on, Dave, you're making a SBaHJ version of Can Town. You could smile a little.

\/ You realize that if they actually succeed in making a new world, it'll probably include a Squirrel Zone in its chess boards. It'll just be one of those obscure rules that normal players don't give a poo poo about, like En Passant.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 14, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Look, in the background. It's Troll The Big Man. And there's the squirrel zone. That is god damned incredible.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

The image of Karkat just looping through self-directed vitriol into forever is loving magical :allears:

Dude is his own Double Moibus Reacharound.

Also, Can Town meets SBaHJ meets Alternian Courtroom Drama looks pretty much like I would have expected.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh hey, looks like my speculation about the Karkat/Terezi hurdle was exactly on time.

Nice to see the predictions of a mellower Karkat are coming true. That's probably the tightest turnaround we've seen yet on Karkat being mad at himself to Karkat figuring out what he has to do.

I hope he patches things up with Terezi. He clearly means well, and he's probably right that his constant angry outbursts were... well, they worked for a while, but it's still pretty childish and you can't just keep doing that forever (especially with the weirdness of troll romance). I guess we might actually see quite a lot of development over these three years.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Hey! Want a shirt with a hat on it? Of course you do! (alpha kids shirts)

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

:sbahj: me but if that isn't the smoothest conversation loop.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

On another note: If this were any other story, these characters would have spent the three years training or preparing for the fight ahead of them. *cough* hyperbolic time chamber *cough*

But, no, this is Homestuck, and so they spend a year making Can Town and obsessing about relationships. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Can town. Troll big man. WV! Endless Karkat screaming loop. Perfection.

You got two years left Karkat, hopefully you take your own advice and stay calmed down for a while!

Oh who am I kidding :allears:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

tinaun posted:

Hey! Want a shirt with a hat on it? Of course you do! (alpha kids shirts)

I knew the Alpha kids were just a gimmick to sell shirts! Trying to buy the men's version of Roxy's shirt just adds Dirk's hat shirt to the shopping cart. What is this, every other shirt seems to work fine.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's... an endless loop, but it's not a closed loop. This Karkat will eventually get irritated and leave the conversation and try to calm down and do other things. But in the process will create a new irritated Future Karkat, who will initiate a conversation with a new Past Karkat. And this will go on forever, or paradoxically has always been going on.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

quote:

FCG: YOU WANT HER IN EVERY QUADRANT LIKE A DESPERATE FOOL.

Didn't the Suffer's relationship with the Disciple "transcend the quadrants" or some BS like that? Sounds like Karkat's aiming for the same thing with Terezi, and Terezi's not entirely on board with the idea.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dolash posted:

...This isn't shipping, is it? Someone warn me if it is.

Phase 1: "Homestuck fans are weird, I'm never getting into that whole shipping thing"
Phase 2: "This isn't shipping, but..."
Phase 3: "Well, I ship them in a caliginous slash ashen, polyamorous, queer, unrequited, alternate universe ot3, and honestly, I think that’s the only way to do it"

(no that wasn't shipping you were doing)

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

it's a Hate Fractal. I'm in awe.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

JT Jag posted:

It's... an endless loop, but it's not a closed loop. This Karkat will eventually get irritated and leave the conversation and try to calm down and do other things. But in the process will create a new irritated Future Karkat, who will initiate a conversation with a new Past Karkat. And this will go on forever, or paradoxically has always been going on.

It's not a paradox. :colbert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh my god. WV is back, Can Town lives again, AND the best Karkat recursive memo ever.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Are you guys still doing the thing where people make avatars?

Edit: Suggestion noted.

notoriousman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 14, 2012

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
At this point I can only assume Karkat just secretly enjoys getting into verbal slapfights with himself. I mean, from the sound of things, everyone else is just kind of tired of listening to his rants, so who else is there?

...man that's kind of depressing actually :smith:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

notoriousman posted:

Flip this one and you have a perfect "just look at this lovely post over here" avatar.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

quote:

Contest album coming soon. I'm speculating within a week, but let's just wait and see...
I'm guessing March 14th because 314 is sort of like 413.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It'd probably take a bit of scrambling to have it done by tomorrow.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

Can anyone remind me how the honourable mayor got on the asteroid? Jack's chasing the asteroid, PM is chasing Jack, yet somehow WV went from being at PM's feet to being ahead of Jack?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

YggiDee posted:

It'd probably take a bit of scrambling to have it done by tomorrow.
I can dream. :allears:

Cryophage posted:

Can anyone remind me how the honourable mayor got on the asteroid? Jack's chasing the asteroid, PM is chasing Jack, yet somehow WV went from being at PM's feet to being ahead of Jack?
Didn't the mail lady use her new green sun powers to drop him there?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Cryophage posted:

PM threw WV into her and teleported him to the meteor. Because...the voices...told her to I guess.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Didn't the Suffer's relationship with the Disciple "transcend the quadrants" or some BS like that? Sounds like Karkat's aiming for the same thing with Terezi, and Terezi's not entirely on board with the idea.

I was just about to post this--sounds like it's another sort of ancestor call-back. Although with the Sufferer and Disciple I kind of took that 'transcending' line less to mean 'they're in all four quadrants simultaneously!' and more to mean that they realized just how bullshit the idea of quadrants was and didn't subscribe to it. I think in trying to force the former in some hasty troll romcom ideal, Karkat might just come to the same conclusion they did. Basically, dude needs to stop compartmentalizing poo poo like a spergy teenager; otherwise it's going to be a long three years for him.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

Color Printer posted:

PM threw WV into her and teleported him to the meteor. Because...the voices...told her to I guess.

Ah, right, I remember now. And to be fair, Jade also seems to know an awful lot about what's going on through her link to the Sun.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pessimism posted:

At this point I can only assume Karkat just secretly enjoys getting into verbal slapfights with himself. I mean, from the sound of things, everyone else is just kind of tired of listening to his rants, so who else is there?

...man that's kind of depressing actually :smith:
I don't think it's even this at this point. I think that there's so much going on and he needs a way to figure things out, but he doesn't know how to internalize and just think about his issues so he needs to talk to a version of himself to serve the same function.

Future Karkat is honestly the most shafted party in this arrangement because Past Karkat really is a dumb fucker using him as a sounding board and he's only doing it because he kinda has to or else it'll cause a split timeline. But it's hard to be sympathetic with him because he's just gonna end up doing the same goddamn thing do an even futurer Karkat later.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Alpha timeline is not paradoxical. Nothing contradicts. The key point is that in a world where time travel exists, something happening because it happened is not paradoxical. Any other outcome is paradoxical.

John had to die in a beta timeline to preserve the integrity of the alpha, because in the alpha the motivation for him not dying was Beta Dave's plea. The beta timeline not being created is paradoxical.

Actually, I think that John died simply because he was in a beta timeline. John dying isn't what hosed up that timeline: Dave prototyping Cal is what hosed it up. If Cal is Calsprite, he can't be used to make Doc Scratch, thus creating a contradiction.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Future Karkat is honestly the most shafted party in this arrangement because Past Karkat really is a dumb fucker using him as a sounding board and he's only doing it because he kinda has to or else it'll cause a split timeline.

Considering that the first half of the conversation is about the implications of Alpha and Beta timelines, this is pretty meta.

e:

of bees posted:

Actually, I think that John died simply because he was in a beta timeline. John dying isn't what hosed up that timeline: Dave prototyping Cal is what hosed it up. If Cal is Calsprite, he can't be used to make Doc Scratch, thus creating a contradiction.

I don't think there actually is a concrete "this is where it all went to poo poo" point. Davesprite is a part of the Alpha timeline, therefor that failed Beta timeline was actually required to fail for the timeline to remain stable. Its Beta-ness was Alpha.

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...
It's Karkats all the way down! :aaa: