Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
A few of the ME1/2 callbacks seemed kinda forced (the Jenna cameo in particular comes to mind), but what happens to Charr and Ereba (the krogan/asari couple from ME2 that you can convince to stay together or split up) is really touching:

Charr is one of the krogans killed in action during the rachni cave assault, and you find a tape that he left for Ereba. If you give it to her at the Citadel, he gives her this touching farewell poem and references their unborn child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?
Just finished the game. Question:So is the ending if you destroy the Reapers basically just the ending from Final Fantasy VII? Am I the only person that noticed this?

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

Found this, haha I love Javik. Wish I had a device compatible with the app.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Regarding Kelly Chambers: I'm really, really early into the game and met her on the Citadel. I haven't even done Priority: Kur'lesh or whatever it's called yet. Anyway, when I ran into her, I didn't see any option to get her to change her name. Does she show up again? I want her to live, drat it!

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Crows Turn Off posted:

Regarding Kelly Chambers: I'm really, really early into the game and met her on the Citadel. I haven't even done Priority: Kur'lesh or whatever it's called yet. Anyway, when I ran into her, I didn't see any option to get her to change her name. Does she show up again? I want her to live, drat it!

I definitely had a more than one conversation before she died on me. I assume the dialogue isn't in the first conversation since you didn't see it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LibbyM posted:

I definitely had a more than one conversation before she died on me. I assume the dialogue isn't in the first conversation since you didn't see it.
Yeah, there are several. I'm not entirely sure what the trigger is though.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Forgive me, but is there a part at the beginning of the game to choose the major plot decisions from ME1 and ME2 if we aren't importing? I just completed the intro on earth and arrived at mars and I still haven't got to the part where I can choose my ME1 and 2 decisions.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Forgive me, but is there a part at the beginning of the game to choose the major plot decisions from ME1 and ME2 if we aren't importing? I just completed the intro on earth and arrived at mars and I still haven't got to the part where I can choose my ME1 and 2 decisions.

Nope.

Edit: You can probably expect a Genesis-style DLC at some point though, I imagine.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
Huh, well drat it, I'm in the middle of a NG+ and Kelly hasn't shown up. I even double checked youtube videos for her location and she's not there at all. I'm guessing that's because I didn't romance/flirt with her at all? Ah well. I'm sorta thinking of doing a ME2 playthrough to "fix" things I know about since I see their outcome in ME3 but it seems like a lot of effort considering I'm already busy on maxing out guns and mods and whatnot as is in ME3 and I don't wanna start over.

Anyhoo. Anyone else found it odd that Avina on the Citadel doesn't know the location of the Purgatory bar? I asked all the Avina's and they all gave the same stock response. Seems like there's a thing there or something.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Cleatcleat posted:

Huh, well drat it, I'm in the middle of a NG+ and Kelly hasn't shown up. I even double checked youtube videos for her location and she's not there at all. I'm guessing that's because I didn't romance/flirt with her at all? Ah well. I'm sorta thinking of doing a ME2 playthrough to "fix" things I know about since I see their outcome in ME3 but it seems like a lot of effort considering I'm already busy on maxing out guns and mods and whatnot as is in ME3 and I don't wanna start over.

That's the running theory. In my ME2 playthroughs I always saved her, but she was firmly in the friend zone because I heard how awkward her scenes in the captain's quarters were. And she hasn't shown up for me in a direct import or a New Game Plus.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
A wonderful person in the .gif thread made this:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Hit the door bug on Horizon level. Apparently restarting the level and triggering all of the cutscenes is the way to get past it.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
I'm currently playing through ME2 while waiting for my copy of ME3 to arrive, and I just noticed that I don't have any of the DLC for it outside of a couple of weapon/armour packs. How big an impact do the DLCs actually have in ME3? Is it worth the points for me to pick up a couple, at least?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Mock and Droll posted:

I'm currently playing through ME2 while waiting for my copy of ME3 to arrive, and I just noticed that I don't have any of the DLC for it outside of a couple of weapon/armour packs. How big an impact do the DLCs actually have in ME3? Is it worth the points for me to pick up a couple, at least?

Shadow Broker and Project Overlord are really fun missions IMO. Arrival gets referenced a lot in the game and it's alright. You can ignore Kasumi and not miss that much.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Shadow Broker and Project Overlord are really fun missions IMO. Arrival gets referenced a lot in the game and it's alright. You can ignore Kasumi and not miss that much.

I'd say get Kasumi before Arrival as it actually changes a mission in 3.

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:
So, I'm on the part of Priority: Rannoch where I have to use the targeting laser to blow -something- up, but I have no idea what that is. From what I can tell from walk-through videos I checked out real quick, I'm supposed to have those blast doors below me open? Did I miss something?

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.

omg car crash posted:

So, I'm on the part of Priority: Rannoch where I have to use the targeting laser to blow -something- up, but I have no idea what that is. From what I can tell from walk-through videos I checked out real quick, I'm supposed to have those blast doors below me open? Did I miss something?

Well you have to open the blast doors because you want to destroy what's inside. Aim down. They should be open if you've done everything.

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:

Axialbloom posted:

Well you have to open the blast doors because you want to destroy what's inside. Aim down. They should be open if you've done everything.

They're still closed but I can't leave the floor I'm on. Bah, I guess I'll just restart it.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Has the thread discussed cam toe and do we agree its hosed up

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

dud root posted:

Yes and it's way hosed up, at least Joker is happy v:shobon:v

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Just finished the game and now I guess I can join the club of people who are pissed off because the writers railroaded everything and then phoned in the ending. Whoo! Joker now has green glowy bits. The End!. It's such a shame to have a game that started out with such wonder and mystery reduced to that. :fuckoff:

e: And I wanted an ending that was more than 5 minutes. I'd be okay with a final fantasy style ending where they take a half hour to close out everyone's storyline.

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 14, 2012

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Things the games has confirmed Shepard is bad at, no matter the path you take.
1) dancing
2) chess

Any more?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

dud root posted:

You people have a dirty, dirty mind (and I say this as a proud perv). Haven't ever seen in my life a camel toe that splits the torso all the way up to the chest.

The most ridiculous part of EDI's body, IMO, is the "hair". There's one conversation where she spergs a little about it, and all I could think mid-giggling was "you guys got your '70s sci-fi in my '90s sci-fi!" :psylon:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I never noticed the cameltoe before it was pointed out here. Now its like the Fedex arrow. :psyduck:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The MSJ posted:

Things the games has confirmed Shepard is bad at, no matter the path you take.
1) dancing
2) chess

Any more?

Saving the Galaxy.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Soylent Pudding posted:

e: And I wanted an ending that was more than 5 minutes. I'd be okay with a final fantasy style ending where they take a half hour to close out everyone's storyline.

I'd certainly say a 100 hour long trilogy that is almost entirely based on character development certainly warrants such an ending far more than a final fantasy game.

I'm just glad i'm having so much fun in the actual missions (even with the "spacebar for 5 different things" problem) that I havn't even been thinking about how dissapointed i'll be when I finish the game.

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

Edit: This should go in the spoiler thread. Sorry about that.

Duder X fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 14, 2012

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

thebardyspoon posted:

Apparently you can get her to change her name if you meet her on the citadel, then she doesn't die.
Is there a lot of conversation with her (Kelly) that I'm missing? I know she is a romance option but from what I've heard she just stays in that refugee camp all game. If there is a lot of dialogue/events I'd miss otherwise I might reload to keep her alive.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Broletariat posted:

Just finished the game. Question:So is the ending if you destroy the Reapers basically just the ending from Final Fantasy VII? Am I the only person that noticed this?

I'd have to disagree because in the ending for Final Fantasy VII you don't doom everyone in the world to isolation and a slow death of starvation(literally and culturally) by destroying their only real means of transportation.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Darth Freddy posted:

Random question but hasany gotten the N7 track jacket? http://biowarestore.com/mass-effect/mass-effect-outerwear/n7-track-jacket

is it well put together?

I can't comment on the track jacket but I got the N7 hoodie a few days ago in the mail and it is loving amazing. All the stuff seems to come from the same manufacturer so this might help you.

The hoodie is about twice as heavy as I thought it would be which is fantastic. The seams so far seem very well done and I've only had a few spare threads come out. The Stripe is double stiched on so it's nice and snug with out anything sticking out. The sitched in N7 has a few strands starting to come up but that's no big deal. Pockets are nicely lined.

If the track jacket is even half as well made as the hoodie I'd say go for it. I do not regret my purchase at all and for the 50 bucks it was on sale a hoodie this warm was a steal.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Just finished the game and I think that's the first time I've ever watched a video game take the piss out of itself after so much build up. What the gently caress I feel like the kid from the Sixth Sense just kicked me in the balls and ran off with my loving money.

I think "take the piss" feels right here but if I'm misusing the term someone correct me.

Beefstew posted:

A wonderful person in the .gif thread made this:

What's the context here?

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Is there a lot of conversation with her (Kelly) that I'm missing? I know she is a romance option but from what I've heard she just stays in that refugee camp all game. If there is a lot of dialogue/events I'd miss otherwise I might reload to keep her alive.
If there is some way to save her I'm all ears because it killed me when I heard they executed her for no reason. That really got to me.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Grey Fox V2 posted:

What's the context here?

"I only forget to recycle the oxygen on the Normandy when I really get excited."

Or something along that lines.

On Kelly you can tell her she should change her name and then she won't be killed in the Cerberus raid.

But if you tell her you don't forgive her for spying on you she takes it bad..

Real bad :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Just finished the game and I think that's the first time I've ever watched a video game take the piss out of itself after so much build up. What the gently caress I feel like the kid from the Sixth Sense just kicked me in the balls and ran off with my loving money.

I think "take the piss" feels right here but if I'm misusing the term someone correct me.

What's the context here?

If there is some way to save her I'm all ears because it killed me when I heard they executed her for no reason. That really got to me.

I think (I haven't tried it yet) that the way to make sure she survives is to tell her to change her identity, and then be understanding instead of angry later on when she confesses to spying on you for Cerberus.

I messed both of those up and she killed herself to avoid being caught by Cerberus when they attacked the Citadel, whoops.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

CVagts posted:

A few of the ME1/2 callbacks seemed kinda forced (the Jenna cameo in particular comes to mind), but what happens to Charr and Ereba (the krogan/asari couple from ME2 that you can convince to stay together or split up) is really touching:

Charr is one of the krogans killed in action during the rachni cave assault, and you find a tape that he left for Ereba. If you give it to her at the Citadel, he gives her this touching farewell poem and references their unborn child.

drat, I didn't even realise that was a callback. Nice.

Edit: it's fun reading all these spoilers about Kelly, considering that in my ME2 she got turned into human soup by the Reapers right in front of my eyes :smith:

paint dry fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 14, 2012

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

randombattle posted:

I can't comment on the track jacket but I got the N7 hoodie a few days ago in the mail and it is loving amazing. All the stuff seems to come from the same manufacturer so this might help you.

The hoodie is about twice as heavy as I thought it would be which is fantastic. The seams so far seem very well done and I've only had a few spare threads come out. The Stripe is double stiched on so it's nice and snug with out anything sticking out. The sitched in N7 has a few strands starting to come up but that's no big deal. Pockets are nicely lined.

If the track jacket is even half as well made as the hoodie I'd say go for it. I do not regret my purchase at all and for the 50 bucks it was on sale a hoodie this warm was a steal.

Only thing to possibly add is the sizes do tend to lean towards the small end since with my N7 hoodie I got the next size up and it just makes it with a thick sweatshirt or sweater on underneath. If I went with my standard size it wouldn't've been able to zip shut.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

Only thing to possibly add is the sizes do tend to lean towards the small end since with my N7 hoodie I got the next size up and it just makes it with a thick sweatshirt or sweater on underneath. If I went with my standard size it wouldn't've been able to zip shut.

I went with a medium and it seems to fit ok. The sleeves seem like 1/4th of an inch or so too short but I guess I just have long arms.

I would agree though you should probably shoot for one size up.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Just got all three endings (protip: copy the autosave before you make a decision; saves sooo much bullshit).

Welp. Now I know why people were bitching. On the one hand, I can see some of the endings working out, narratively. On the other, it very much feels like the "Lets have a burger, hahaha" bitchslap, ESPECIALLY with that "Shepard stopped the Reapers and became a legend. Continue on in downloadable content!" screen.

My main hangup is that for the ultimate payoff for 120+ hours invested for each playthrough (or at least 80-90), the ending is VERY cursory; there's no big payoff. Hell, I took Liara with me on the final run and she still managed to pop out of the crashed normandy.

Game was incredible until the last 5 minutes. At least I got to shoot both TIM and Udina.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Grey Fox V2 posted:

From what I hear, you need to invite her to your Cabin in ME2 for some semi-romance poo poo in order to get the option to change her name in order to prevent her from getting killed.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Without spoiling to much, does anyone know if letting Udina die over the Virmire survivor comes back to bite you in the rear end later on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Without spoiling to much, does anyone know if letting Udina die over the Virmire survivor comes back to bite you in the rear end later on?

Udina dies, regardless. You either can convince the VS then renegade shoot him, have the VS shoot him or kill the VS and then kill udina.

dude dies either way from what I understand

• Locked thread