Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Speaking of bitters, I've wondered about recipes that call for a "dash" of bitters.

When you say to add a dash of orange liqueur, it means a teaspoon. You'd think dash = 1tsp, but bitters bottles come with a kind of tabasco-style squirt nozzle. Does one squirt = 1 dash for bitters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Doh004 posted:

Worth getting if I'm looking to learn more about making cocktails?

http://www.amazon.com/Fee-Brothers-Bar-Cocktail-Bitters/dp/B001CDQCFQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1331408474&sr=8-14

Like I like turtles said, if you are just starting a bar you need Angostura and an orange bitters, which should cover you in most cases. I keep Peychaud's as my rich complex flavor orange bitters, and Fee Brother's Orange if I want to add bright citrus aroma to a drink. These bitters should be good for most classic recipes.

The Bitter Truth makes a 'Travelers' kit for about $20 if you wanted to just purchase 1 thing. It has Celery, Old Time Aromatic, Orange, Creole, and Jerry Thomas bitters. The Creole is Peychaud's like and the Jerry Thomas is Angostura-ish. I have it, but I reach for my big bottles of Fee Brother's Orange, Angostura, and Peychaud's more often (and in that order).

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Speaking of bitters, I've wondered about recipes that call for a "dash" of bitters.

When you say to add a dash of orange liqueur, it means a teaspoon. You'd think dash = 1tsp, but bitters bottles come with a kind of tabasco-style squirt nozzle. Does one squirt = 1 dash for bitters?

I look at bitters as the salt/pepper of a cocktail, that brings extra pizzazz or marries the flavors. I shake the bottle up/down once, usually releasing 1 or 2 drops; really its an add to taste type thing.

You can always try making the same drink with varying amounts/types of bitters and seeing how the final comes out. For example I found I like 4-5 drops in my Manhattans that call for "1 dash", but if I'm using a more nuanced vermouth I'll just do 1 or 2 drops.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

When a recipe calls for a "dash" it's really saying "add to taste". It's a built-in flexibility that should really be applied to every recipe so that you make it as good as possible according to your definition of good.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hmm okay thanks for the advice. I've been using the Angostura bitters when making my current drinks but had been curious about how the other types would taste. I'll try out a bottle of orange like you guys said.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I also like a couple dashes in some seltzer.

Here's a random recipe, not bitter related:

Far East Side

2oz sake (Junmai Gingo)
3/4oz elderflower liqueur
1/2oz blanco tequila
1/4oz lemon juice
1 fresh shiso leaf, plus one for garnish

Muddle a shiso leaf with the elderflower, shake, double strain, coupe.

Goes great with sushi.

Klauser fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 13, 2012

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I just bought a 3 litre punchbowl and am planning to christen it by making sangria. What ratio should I use to make sure it's not too strong / weak? I'm guessing it's probably 1/3 wine and 2/3 everything else?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Make Jeffrey Morgenthaler's sangria. Mr. Morgenthaler is a boss.

Also you should try one of the punches I've posted in this thread. Everything I've posted so far is great.

And hell, I'll post another. This is an original punch that I put together this weekend that was really successful. I haven't properly named it yet, but I'm just gonna call it

Kenning's Pinkhouse Punch

1 750ml bottle Irish whiskey (I used Powers)
12 oz. barleywine style beer (I used Anchor's Old Foghorn)
8 oz. turbinado sugar
8 oz. lemon juice, strained
1-1.5 qt. water (to taste)
peels of 3 or 4 lemons

Muddle the lemon peels with the sugar and then let it sit to draw out the oils – at least a half hour to an hour, but really as long as possible. Longer really is better. Muddle it occasionally to combine. Once you're ready to assemble the punch pour about a cup to a cup and a half of boiling water onto the sugar/peels and stir it to dissolve. Fish out the peels with a strainer or something and discard. Pour the whiskey, beer, lemon juice, and water/sugar mixture into your bowl and stir. Add your quart of water, to taste, and finish with a 1 qt. ice block.

I recommend keeping your whiskey in the freezer and your water and beer in the fridge so that this cools down as quickly as possible. I also chilled my bowl in advance, which is a good idea if you have room in your fridge/freezer. This is one of those punches that really hits its stride after about 20 minutes on the ice, so feel free to make it a little bit before you need it if you like.

edit: Fixed sangria link.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 16, 2015

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Kenning posted:

Make Jeffrey Morgenthaler's sangria. Mr. Morgenthaler is a boss.

Thanks for the recommendations but sangriasangrita.

I will probably try making both those drinks at some point in the near future though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hahah yeah I looked at my tabs and I realized that I'd messed up. Good luck on that sangria!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have been loving around with spicy margritas the last few days, trying to get the right balance of spice, tart and sweet. The addition of the habenaro vodka (which came out perfect, I did a super short steep and the flavor and heat came through really strongly without any bitterness)seems to make the drink want more simple syrup then I normally put in.

Testing is going slowly as after 1 or 3 my ability to be all critical and scientific goes out the window.

Gonna do some more "testing" tonight as I don't have to work tomorrow.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
In a similar vein, the other night MY GIRLFRIEND and I went to a this Cuban restaurant in the city and our cocktails were awesome. I was introduced to ginger rum in both my mojito and caipirinha. Holy crap was the added "spice" of the ginger awesome.

I decided to make some on my own and for the past four days I've had a pint mason jar of your basic clear rum with a fair amount of chopped ginger. It smells really awesome and the color looks like it's completely infused. I figure I'll strain it out tonight and try making a drink.

Aside from the mojito and cairpirinha, any other suggestions for the ginger rum?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Ooh ooh, and I just bought a 1.75L bottle of Myer's Platinum for under $20. It was mis-priced by the distributor, apparently, to the same price as the 750 and the state liquor laws required the store to sell it at that price.
I am not a big fan of ginger flavors, what else could I infuse some rum with? Vanilla beans? Pepper corns?

Mint?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Use allspice berries and then sweeten it with a rich turbinado syrup.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

In a similar vein, the other night MY GIRLFRIEND and I went to a this Cuban restaurant in the city and our cocktails were awesome. I was introduced to ginger rum in both my mojito and caipirinha. Holy crap was the added "spice" of the ginger awesome.

I decided to make some on my own and for the past four days I've had a pint mason jar of your basic clear rum with a fair amount of chopped ginger. It smells really awesome and the color looks like it's completely infused. I figure I'll strain it out tonight and try making a drink.

Aside from the mojito and cairpirinha, any other suggestions for the ginger rum?

I tried this out with my ginger mojito:

I know it's not as fancy as some of the drinks made here but I really like it... :shobon: You get a lot of the ginger spice after sipping and it's awesome.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
I need help with a name for a cocktail I just had today. It was Bailey's, Kahlua, and Jameson. I called it a "White Irish" since it had the first two ingredients of a Russian, save for the whiskey. Anybody know the proper name?

And the bartender added a bit of milk to make it stretch. Went down like chocolate milk :D

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

I need help with a name for a cocktail I just had today. It was Bailey's, Kahlua, and Jameson. I called it a "White Irish" since it had the first two ingredients of a Russian, save for the whiskey. Anybody know the proper name?

And the bartender added a bit of milk to make it stretch. Went down like chocolate milk :D

Irish Carbomb variant, of some sort.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 20, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

teenage girl drink

Mister Macys posted:

Irish Carbomb variant, of some sort.

I think you have to drop it into a pint of Guinness to call it that. Blech.

The shot by itself is sometimes called a B-52, but there are so many variations ont he same theme. A "blowjob" is often the same ingredients + whipped cream.

As a "cocktail" I'd probably call that thing some kind of Irish Mudslide.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
Thanks guys. And I can't help it if I've got a clinical case sweetooth:ohdear:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sure you can. Anyone can learn to have good taste. It'll just take a certain amount of sugar-driven hangovers from hell before someone makes that decision.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You don't get hangovers if you know where to draw the line. :smugbert:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Mister Macys posted:

You don't get hangovers if you know where to draw the line. :smugbert:

Nor do you end up with any good stories, like smashing your old phone then salsa dancing in the street (last Thursday).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Touché.

I'll let my friends be the "writers".
After all, someone needs to remember the poo poo, when the party's over.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Let that be a lesson to you. If you only drink the cocktails you like, you'll never break your cell phone and get hit by a car.

And that drink sounds delicious, dammit! Don't fault it for not having vodka in it. Vodka is the true teenage girl drink.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

No one's faulting it for not having vodka. God bless any drink that could be made with vodka but isn't. It's just a sugar bomb.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I've been trying to work in apricot liqours and mezcal into the spring menu, but I'm running out of ways to dry out the brizard apry short of Bubbly and aperol. Any suggestions?

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Vegetable Melange posted:

I've been trying to work in apricot liqours and mezcal into the spring menu, but I'm running out of ways to dry out the brizard apry short of Bubbly and aperol. Any suggestions?

fino sherry, any dry white wine (e.g. viognier, sauv blanc), dry vermouth, eau de vie, gin, aquavit...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mean, Brizard is based on cognac, right? You could always use that. Preserving the peachiness while reducing the sugar is more difficult. You could use peach bitters to keep up the peach while using vodka to smooth out sweetness — that is of course vodka's one valid use in serious mixology.

How's the mescal going?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't realize that vodka was so widely held in low regard. Because by definition it has no character of its own?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't realize that vodka was so widely held in low regard. Because by definition it has no character of its own?

Exactly. Here's an article by the owner of a really delicious cocktail bar that goes into more depth:

http://theblackhoof.com/2011/02/vodka-is-stupid/

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Appl posted:

Exactly. Here's an article by the owner of a really delicious cocktail bar that goes into more depth:

Yeah bu -- but what about a -- drat, he's right.
The things I do occasionally drink with Vodka -grapefruit, cranberry, orange - are better with gin.

I do like to have Stoli around, but I don't consider it a neutral spirit; it has a subtle, buttery flavor.
Sometimes I want a vodka gibson and I don't have a bunch of gins around that I think go well with pickled onion. I'm sure there is at least one though, so that's not a real argument.
I have a half gallon of Gordon's or Gilbey's or something that has sat unopened for months. If some girl wants a Cosmo or a Mudslide or something I'm not going to waste the Stoli.

Now I wonder how a Harvey Wallbanger would be with gin or clear rum.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Very Strange Things posted:

Yeah bu -- but what about a -- drat, he's right.
The things I do occasionally drink with Vodka -grapefruit, cranberry, orange - are better with gin.
Jesus, what does that taste like? I substitute rum for vodka.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Appl posted:

Does this also apply to potato vodka? The ones I've had tasted differently and have a flavor to them.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Tom Rakewell posted:

fino sherry, any dry white wine (e.g. viognier, sauv blanc), dry vermouth, eau de vie, gin, aquavit...

:doh: Sleep before post. Aquavit, however, might be a great spring ingredient...

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Jesus, what does that taste like? I substitute rum for vodka.

Deliciousness? If you like gin, I guess. The botanicals get toned down in juice.
Snoop Dogg knows where it's at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QeVxx3l8JY

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Does anyone have any experience using matcha powder in cocktails? I'm in the mood for some asian-inspired drinks and am not sure what flavours to mix it with.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You would probably be better off brewing it first, either normal strength, or very concentrated, and then diluting it with your spirit of choice, mixers, simple syrup, etc.

I'm pretty sure even powdered matcha needs hot water, to really get the best out of it.

theunderwaterbear
Sep 24, 2004
Can anyone clue me in to sweet white vermouth? I accidentally bought Martini Bianco instead of Extra Dry. Red sweet goes in manhattans, dry in martinis, bianco :iiam:

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum

theunderwaterbear posted:

Can anyone clue me in to sweet white vermouth? I accidentally bought Martini Bianco instead of Extra Dry. Red sweet goes in manhattans, dry in martinis, bianco :iiam:

It's quite nice to drink it on the rocks with a slice of lemon.

PenUltimateWarrior
Nov 1, 2009

:siren:TEAR DOWN THE COCKPIT DOOR, HO KOGAN:siren:

theunderwaterbear posted:

Bianco can still be used to make a Manhattan, I quite like them like that. I love Bianco and lemonade with a dash of bitters and a wedge of lemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I made a whiskey sour but shook it with an egg white before shaking with ice, and it was fantastic. The frothy-ness was just to die for. Does anyone have a favorite drink recipe that involves an egg white? I need to try more of these.