Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

okay... first of all, that's a cb900C not F
Secondly that guy has got to be off his loving rocker if he thinks it's worth any more than $1200 $800 (no title).
For what he's asking I can get an RC30 or something similarly overpriced.

edit: what teh hell does bad title mean? you stole it?
or is that "starts and runs bad. title."?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
It probably means that the owner three owners ago signed but didn't notarise the title and he has since died, moved out of the country or whatever else you could imagine. At least that's the story I usually get.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

okay... first of all, that's a cb900C not F
Secondly that guy has got to be off his loving rocker if he thinks it's worth any more than $1200 $800 (no title).
For what he's asking I can get an RC30 or something similarly overpriced.

edit: what teh hell does bad title mean? you stole it?
or is that "starts and runs bad. title."?

Yeah, that guy is insane. It's horrid (I have no idea what he did to the exhaust :barf: ) and it's worth nowhere near $2K based on the photos alone, let alone $4650.

The stock 82 CB900C in two-tone wineberry red was a good looking bike. That thing is not.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That bike probably didnt cost $4650 brand new

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What that bike should look like

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Anyone in PA lookin to swap their sportbike for a supermoto?

http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/2900283394.html

craigslist dude posted:

i have a 2004 ktm 625 smc with only 6000 miles on it full exhaust and powdered coated rims bike is flawless and runs amazing and very fast for a supermoto
looking to trade for a GSXR, CBR, R6 all my buddies got rid of their supermotos and now i need a streetbike please let me know what u have for trade
-call/text 717424614two for any questions pictures thanks for looking

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slidebite posted:

What that bike should look like

:allears:

Who wants a $1400 harley project? (I do :blush: )
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/2899978403.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:allears:
I always thought the coolest part about the CB900/1000 Custom was the utilization of the GL final drive, so they threw in a cool-rear end 2-speed jackshaft to bring the power to the other side and used it as a a hi-lo range off the transmission.

From wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB900C

quote:

The Sub-transmission is used as a "jack shaft". That is, in order for Honda to use the CB900F engine in conjunction with the GL swingarm and final shaft drive, power must be taken from the CB900F's left hand power take off and transferred to the GL's right hand side final drive shaft. The "Jack Shaft" was given 2 gear ranges ranges at relatively low cost. Most CB900C riders use the 2-Speed Transmission more like 6th gear overdrive. Leaving the bike in low range while shifting through the normal 5 gears, then shifting into high range once up to speed on highway, reducing engine rpm significantly at touring speeds.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah the hi-lo feature on those particular CBs is really cool. A friend of mine has a CB900 with it. It feels so wrong, yet so right at the same time.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

$1500 is an exceptionally good deal on a clean, street-legal KLX650 with a 5 gal tank. It's a poor man's XR650R:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2899299546.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MotoMind posted:

$1500 is an exceptionally good deal on a clean, street-legal KLX650 with a 5 gal tank. It's a poor man's XR650R:

drat that is a good deal. I should talk to my housemate about that....

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I have a feeling these two should meet.
...or someone has a Multiple Personality Disorder.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have a feeling these two should meet.
...or someone has a Multiple Personality Disorder.

The problem is that since the guy in the first one says he wants bikes in any condion, means he doesnt want to pay anything, and probably certainly not $795

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Another case of adding "cafe" to the description doubles the value:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2903350792.html

Besides being clean, it's nothing super special.
Basically all bolt-on or easy to swap parts.

I mean he's done a good list of important mods like rejetting the carbs, tapered steering head bearings, Dyna ignition, coils and wires.

Still there's probably < $1000 in parts on it including the gasket kit and tires. Maybe another $400 in powdercoating and fabrication on that tank.

edit:
Jesus, he didn't even grind down the frame after he cut off the passenger peg mounts. He just powdercoated right over it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 15, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
My question is why would you choose to install a Honda R/R on any motorcycle? That's not an upgrade! :v:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/2901440512.html

Pretty much want this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, yes you do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

this bike would make a cool cafe racer or rat bike

:fuckoff:

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

MotoMind posted:

gently caress, how much does it cost to ship a bike across the country?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

gently caress, how much does it cost to ride a bike across the country?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Posted this in the KLR thread a few days ago, figured I may get a response here:

How does this lovely KLR look price-wise:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2901186458.html

I like that Corbin seat, especially. Think I could talk him down to $2,500?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

gently caress, how much does it cost to ship a bike across the country?

Probably between 500 and 1000

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

slidebite posted:

Probably between 500 and 1000

Across the country is probably more on the $1000 end of things, especially with gas prices the way they are. I shipped a bike from San Diego to Denver last year for around $550.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just got a quote from Ohio to buttfuck Montana for under $500, but yeah, I too suspect closer to the $1K than $500 for sure... but I wouldn't be shocked if it could be $6-something for between major centers.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Was $700 to ship my wife's crappy Camry a few years back. Went from Cali to GA.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Radbot posted:

Posted this in the KLR thread a few days ago, figured I may get a response here:

How does this lovely KLR look price-wise:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2901186458.html

I like that Corbin seat, especially. Think I could talk him down to $2,500?

It's a middle-of-the-road deal. The suspension and seat mods are really mild and could be beneficial or detrimental to your ride, depending on your height and weight. The rad guards don't do jack poo poo; you'll need an aftermarket tank if you want protection.

Yes, you should definitely talk him down. It's a boring bike at a boring price right now.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

drat that is a good deal. I should talk to my housemate about that....

The tank alone is probably worth 500-600 to the right buyer. Those tanks are rare as hen's teeth, and there are people out there who really like their KLXes. They're pretty fine bikes, though a manual cam chain tensioner is advised.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Scrapez posted:

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/2901440512.html

Pretty much want this.

It's a sleeper, man. A complete can of whoopass disguised as your grandpa's motorcycle. I think you'll have zero issues unloading it if you ever cared to, and you'd probably make a few bucks. Concur!

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I was at Santa Clara Cycle Accessories this evening, picking up a part, when a scene right out of Cafe Racer took place in front of me. A shop lackey wheeled out this 1973 CB750 looking dusty but otherwise clean:

No price yet, and it's basically a consignment from a car dealer that's waiting on paperwork before the shop does any work on it. So true mechanical condition is unknown. But according to the guy behind the counter, once that's done it will be worked on and put on sale. He said it would be on CL and their website.

If I had space I'd buy it, also if I was unmarried.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
What is this? "'84 Ninja" does not compute, nor does the 650 part.

E: Okay, the '84 GPz900R was called a Ninja, but that was the first one.
This looks like maybe a GPz750? Got that weird ducktail on the rear cowl.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 16, 2012

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Someone on the Versys forums posted about a straight up trade for a 2004 Multistrada 1000 DS with 20k miles. I know the bikes worth a few hundred more than my V. Aside from it being beautiful, anyone have any input on this bike? I'm really tempted to look into it. My main concern is maintenance... I prefer to do my own for the most part, but if I need a mechanic, am I gonna pay out the rear end to have work done on a Duc?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MotoMind posted:

It's a middle-of-the-road deal. The suspension and seat mods are really mild and could be beneficial or detrimental to your ride, depending on your height and weight. The rad guards don't do jack poo poo; you'll need an aftermarket tank if you want protection.

Yes, you should definitely talk him down. It's a boring bike at a boring price right now.

Cool, thanks.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Somebody buy the Excelsior

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2887395804.html

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

AnnoyBot posted:

I was at Santa Clara Cycle Accessories this evening, picking up a part, when a scene right out of Cafe Racer took place in front of me. A shop lackey wheeled out this 1973 CB750 looking dusty but otherwise clean:

No price yet, and it's basically a consignment from a car dealer that's waiting on paperwork before the shop does any work on it. So true mechanical condition is unknown. But according to the guy behind the counter, once that's done it will be worked on and put on sale. He said it would be on CL and their website.

If I had space I'd buy it, also if I was unmarried.

It's a SOHC K3. It's a pretty good bike but far from inexpensive to keep running. If you really want a "reliable" decades old Honda CB750 you should look out out for a DOHC 1979–1982 CB750F or CB750K.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I don't know what to make of this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What? What?

Maybe he's just confused and instead of "scooter" meant to type "limited edition race replica". Because I don't know if that's what it is, but that's the only way that I can see that thing being worth $31,000.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The most reasonable explanation is that it's a scam ad submitted from overseas and the writer was not aware of the distinction between scooters and motorcycles.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I want this thing bad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ground clearance? What's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

I was thinking, "wow, that's sexy", but then your practical comment made me realize what an idiot I am.

I'm glad this forum is here. How else are people going to find out about motorcycling best practices, safety, mechanical advice and culture? It's a scary thought...

Naw man, helmets will break your neck in a crash and the lower the bike, the faster it goes!