Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't forget statements of great conviction but little outward power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

mind the walrus posted:

Don't forget statements of great conviction but little outward power.

I thought her speech in the final episode was one of the best parts about the first season.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fatkraken posted:

THAT IS NOT A STORY WORTH loving AROUND FOR SIX YEARS TO WRITE.
:goonsay:

Hahahahahaha. Look at you. LOOK AT YOU.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh goodie, this circus again.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yes. And it took him over a decade to write, with multiple starts where he would realize how horrid the work was and throw it all out to begin from scratch again.

Somewhere in all those restarts, Strider became Aragorn, King of Gondor, instead of a goofy-rear end hobbit.

:eng101: Trotter

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

I thought her speech in the final episode was one of the best parts about the first season.

I also liked her telling off Viserys after he hit and threatened her.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Jorah is really creepy in that season preview clip a few pages back. I always thought he was gross for lusting after Dany like that but drat. It's going to be Littlefinger levels of creepmaster next season.

Clearly there's only two kinds of men in Westeros--those who perv after little girls and those who are too honorable and idiotic to live.

Well, I guess there's Jaime. If he dies I'm going to be sad. I've grown to love that sister-loving, gold-handed bastard.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

empty sea posted:

Jorah is really creepy in that season preview clip a few pages back. I always thought he was gross for lusting after Dany like that but drat. It's going to be Littlefinger levels of creepmaster next season.

Clearly there's only two kinds of men in Westeros--those who perv after little girls and those who are too honorable and idiotic to live.

Well, I guess there's Jaime. If he dies I'm going to be sad. I've grown to love that sister-loving, gold-handed bastard.

There's also Tyrion. All he does is ask people where whores go.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
Jorah/Dany 4 ever.~ :swoon:

Hm. Needs more blingee.

Mediant fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 14, 2012

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Mediant posted:

Jorah/Dany 4 ever.~ :swoon:

Hm. Needs more blingee.

Oh my is that Drogo... on top of her?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheManWithNoName posted:

Oh my is that Drogo... on top of her?

It's Daario~.

HBO skipped Clash and Storm and jumped ahead to the best part.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
RIP Tony Danza Claus's previous avatar - you were too beautiful for this world.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
So how much time is 2-3 years in GRRM time? http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20120312/george-martin-game-of-thrones-120313.html

[quote=]

Author George R.R. Martin says that while he only has two books left in his fantasy epic series that began with "Game of Thrones," he won't be leaving the wintery world of Westeros forever.

"It will be very hard to say goodbye to these characters, (but) I don't know if I will necessarily say goodbye to the world," Martin, topped in his signature captain's hat, told Canada AM.

"Even when I finish this story, I think there will be other stories to tell set in the world of Westeros."

Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series has been billed a modern "Lord of the Rings" -- if J.R.R. Tolkien managed a fiercely complex yet coherent plot and had a taste for true medieval savagery.

While the series has strong fantasy roots, the books' realism and emphasis on political intrigue have expanded its fan base well beyond those normally associated with the genre.

The series has had sales in the millions, and the television show it has spawned, HBO's predictably superb "Game of Thrones," has only spurned more.

"People are even recognizing me on the street, in restaurants. Writers don't get recognized, actors get recognized," the gregarious Martin told CTV's Canada AM.

Martin was in Toronto for a sold-out event at the Toronto International Film Festival's Bell Lightbox, where he expressed gratitude for his fans' continued support.

An exhibit at the Lightbox for "Game of Thrones" features the iron throne itself, along with a number of other goodies from the show, including swords, dragon eggs and (SPOILER ALERT!) the severed head of a major character.

The second season of the hugely popular "Game of Thrones" kicks off on HBO Canada on April 1.

Martin says he "very, very proud" to be associated with the show, but it's an odd sensation to see his written characters on television in flesh, blood and steel.

"But when you see it coming alive, there is no feeling quite like it," Martin says of the show, which he has been involved with since day one.

"For the writer, I even think it's different than for the fans. I'm a very visual writer. I see all these things in my mind's eye, and it's never going to be exactly the same."

Now while many eyes will be on the screen over the next few months, fans are itching for more books set in the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.

Martin's notoriously unhurried -- to be polite -- pace of writing has been a thorn in the side of his famously rabid fan base over the years.

"A Dance with Dragons," which was released last July, took six years for Martin to write. The wait obviously left fans salivating, as they gobbled up the book in droves.

"‘Dance with Dragons' boasts great sales, singlehandedly saves America, the publishing industry in that order" read a not-exactly hyperbolic headline at the pop-culture website A.V. Club, describing the book's opening week sales.

Still, Martin is promising his fans a tad quicker finish to the sixth and penultimate book in the series, "The Winds of Winter." He says he already has 200 pages written and hopes to have it finished in two, maybe three years.

Even with that "speedy" prediction, it could be the turn of the next decade before Martin finishes up the series with "A Dream of Spring."

"I will say goodbye to these characters eventually (and) that will be hard. It will be like your children leaving home," he said.

With at least two novels left to be published in the series, there is the distinct possibility the HBO series will be wrapping up before the final page is written by Martin.

"There's always the fear . . . will I fumble the ball at the end, will I make a mistake?" Martin said.

Many winters are yet to come before fans get to make that decision for themselves.

[/quote]

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 14, 2012

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

empty sea posted:

Truly GRRM writes what he knows-- who he is and the immature ideal he wishes he was, followed by throwing that ideal under the bus BECAUSE NO ONE LIKES ME I'M SUCH A NICE GUY :tvtropes:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't forget the wild card Darkstar!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Come on guys are we seriously going to rage against GRRM for the next six (36) years? Let's all pretend AGoT just came out and be happy with the little fantasy that the next in the series is only a couple years away.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Octy posted:

Come on guys are we seriously going to rage against GRRM for the next six (36) years? Let's all pretend AGoT just came out and be happy with the little fantasy that the next in the series is only a couple years away.

In honor of GRRM retiring from writing, I'm rereading the series at the rate they came out.

I look forward to reading ADWD again in 2032.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GRRM, GRRM is like a wheel. He's round, his diameter is massive, and any given point of his circumference could be mistaken for his face or anus.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
200 pages done. Har har har. 200 pages of Darrio & Dany scat-fetish. Hmmm.... I might actually like to read that.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tony Danza Claus posted:

In honor of GRRM retiring from writing, I'm rereading the series at the rate they came out.

I look forward to reading ADWD again in 2032.

Start a read-along thread. I'll contribute.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Murphys Law posted:

So how much time is 2-3 years in GRRM time? http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20120312/george-martin-game-of-thrones-120313.html

this is just like when hitler had all his dudes working on plans for moonbases and poo poo when they was still kneedeep in russians

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

nuncle jimbo posted:

this is just like when hitler had all his dudes working on plans for moonbases and poo poo when they was still kneedeep in russians

At least Hitler had a more reasonable excuse.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Urdnot Fire posted:

At least Hitler had a more reasonable excuse.
Amphetamines are a hell of a drug.

So which set of drugs is GRRM on? Obviously not anything that speeds up his metabolism.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

So which set of drugs is GRRM on? Obviously not anything that speeds up his metabolism.

Roofies. He's got a damp cellar full of them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You just know he calls it his "apothecary" too, complete with mushrooms growing in nightsoil.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Octy posted:

I'm reading this new book by George R.R. Martin and it ROCKS! :swoon: I'm almost done with it, so nobody spoiler!

It's kind of low-fantasy and the characters are all really layered. Everything in it is really detailed (especially the food). I think the series is basically about this Stark family (Edward and his kids) and how they save Westernos. They're all together at their castle and then they split up and the dad's bastard kid gets sent to Hogwarts. But there's also this hot exiled princess (she's like 13 though :pedo:). I felt bad for when her brother sold her and the horse man raped her.

I don't know if I can wait a couple years for more of this series. Hopefully good old George releases the next books quickly!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

Amphetamines are a hell of a drug.

Broad spectrum antibiotics, for his shitdick.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

GRRM posted:

"I will say goodbye to these characters eventually (and) that will be hard. It will be like your children leaving home,"

Ummmmmm, actually most peoples children take less than 40 years to leave home.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ummmmmm, actually most peoples children take less than 40 years to leave home.

Gurm is talking about the children he has chained in his basement.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

IRQ posted:

Gurm is talking about the children he has chained in his basement.
Whom he addresses as Viserion and Rhaegal, affectionately.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

quote:

Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series has been billed a modern "Lord of the Rings" -- if J.R.R. Tolkien managed a fiercely complex yet coherent plot and had a taste for true medieval savagery.

Jesus Christ. gently caress GURM and his stupid captain's hat. LotR managed to be a classic without a ton of raping, you douchesack. :argh:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

empty sea posted:

Jesus Christ. gently caress GURM and his stupid captain's hat. LotR managed to be a classic without a ton of raping, you douchesack. :argh:
It does make it more true to the historical period. Hell, rape and the slaughter of non-combatants still comes hand-in-hand with war in many parts of the world. The fact the books don't try to paint a rosy picture of warfare could be said to be a good thing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The LotR/ASoIaF comparison is so goddamn stupid. I feel so bad for fantasy authors, knowing their works will forever be compared to that giant tome filled with poetry, languages, rich history, legends, and also 1000 pages of story before you ever get to the loving appendices.

poo poo, I've got a book in my lunchkit right now which is described as "Lord of the Rings meets Day of the Jackal". I've read LotR, I don't see it at loving all, and I haven't read DotJ so I can't say. But still! A first-person narrative about an assassin trying to find his ex-wife? Yep, totally like Lord of the Motherfucking Rings.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think we can all forgive a man who survived the WW1 trenches for skipping over the details of people killing eachother en masse with sharp implements.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

el_brio posted:

200 pages done. Har har har. 200 pages of Darrio & Dany scat-fetish. Hmmm.... I might actually like to read that.

The more she shat the more he drank.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It grew difficult to tell if she was in him or he in her.

"Odo," said the Founder. "Is the Link not glorious?"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mind the walrus posted:

GRRM, GRRM is like a wheel. He's round, his diameter is massive, and any given point of his circumference could be mistaken for his face or anus.

Your car must be horrifying.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think we can all forgive a man who survived the WW1 trenches for skipping over the details of people killing eachother en masse with sharp implements.

Can we? :colbert:

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Vonnegut didn't seem to have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Mediant posted:

Can we? :colbert:

No we can't, since he was an overt racist and all fantasy is racist by association, I mean did you see who they cast as Xaro Xhoan Daxos? I'll be over at the metro area library reading some Borges if you want to talk about real poo poo.