Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I remember them talking about Whitney years ago because she had either been on one of the Comedy Central roasts or had written for them. I think Artie said she was kinda funny but that was it.

Was she in Last Comic Standing? I seem to remember Artie says that people that win or do well in that show are not respected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

Artie is a stand up however, so he thinks if you say anything you didn't write yourself, you are already a hack.

Didn't Artie mention a few days ago that on one of the roasts he did something like half of his jokes he had written for him? Not sure if that's SOP for a roast, though. I know I remember him saying that he used one of Nick's jokes in his stand up?, and he tried to pay him for it but Nick refused.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

porkfriedrice posted:

Didn't Artie mention a few days ago that on one of the roasts he did something like half of his jokes he had written for him? Not sure if that's SOP for a roast, though. I know I remember him saying that he used one of Nick's jokes in his stand up?, and he tried to pay him for it but Nick refused.

Well, Artie does a lot of coke, so don't trust anything he ever says.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Was anyone ever able to verify the story Artie told on "Jack and Coke" about Chris Rock being on the show and (correctly) guessed that Howard would line up a bunch of guys on the phone simply to call him racial slurs? I can't find in mentioned anywhere except for that CD.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Wow, did Bobo and Mary Ann drop the N word?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

He also talked about if you got stuck in a room with Chelsea Handler and Star Jones and you had a gun with one bullet in it, that bullet would be for yourself.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

AltronHGX posted:

He also talked about if you got stuck in a room with Chelsea Handler and Star Jones and you had a gun with one bullet in it, that bullet would be for yourself.

Shame on Artie for not suggesting you club both of them to death with the butt of the gun.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

porkfriedrice posted:

Its fairly common at roasts for comics to use jokes others write for them.
Artie has said before that some people are really good at writing roast jokes but their delivery is awful so they write for other comics.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Sounds like the whole stand up scene is the equivalent of a sorority house.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Sounds like the whole stand up scene is the equivalent of a sorority house.

Stand up in general is kind of depressing.

I mean, how many careers can you think of where being considered a success means never having to do it again?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Its fairly common at roasts for comics to use jokes others write for them.
Artie has said before that some people are really good at writing roast jokes but their delivery is awful so they write for other comics.

That reminds me of the Ralph roast when Artie wrote the jokes for Ralph to say but he refused to do them. The comedians passed it around the room and tried to do Artie's jokes but kept loving it up because they didn't have Artie's delivery. Then Artie took over and he killed with it.

What a great day that was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43vlSOGAmnU&feature=related

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Vakal posted:

Stand up in general is kind of depressing.

I mean, how many careers can you think of where being considered a success means never having to do it again?

I know a couple stand up comics, they all work at food joints, still live with their parents, hate their lives, are very depressing people and view comedy as some kind of escape to a magical hollywood TV show that will make their wildest dreams come true, only nobody is knocking.

Stand up is dead, I've never been to a comedy club that doesn't have some big name that's pretty well known (I've only seen Louie CK and Dave Chapelle) and I'm a fan of stand up. The only people I know that go to comedy clubs are stand up comedians, ex stand up comedians trying to motivate themselves to get into stand up again and old bored people.

Looking at Netflix there's dozens of comedy specials from people I've never heard of, and they're usually never funny. It's pretty depressing, even Yucko has quit stand up and just writes now.

Doing stand up is just a poo poo way to market yourself as a entertainment personality nowadays. If you figure your audience is 60-200 people on average a night and you're doing that a few times a month... you're reaching nobody and you're poor. Then if you're touring, you're doing shows in the middle of nowhere, living in a lovely cum stained comedy condo or hotel, most likely doing weekday shows with even less people and more frequently while still reaching nobody and being poor.

The reality is that if you release something remotely funny on youtube or a podcast, you will reach more people in a week than you would doing stand up year round. If you're consistently releasing funny stuff on youtube or a podcast, you will get a bunch of subscribers that are there to see and listen to you, and at some point someone from the entertainment industry will notice you. Look at that Jenna Marbles chick, youtube comedian to hollywood.

Stand Up hit its peak in the 80s, and it's been dying a slow depressing death ever since.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I know a couple stand up comics, they all work at food joints, still live with their parents, hate their lives, are very depressing people and view comedy as some kind of escape to a magical hollywood TV show that will make their wildest dreams come true, only nobody is knocking.

Stand up is dead, I've never been to a comedy club that doesn't have some big name that's pretty well known (I've only seen Louie CK and Dave Chapelle) and I'm a fan of stand up. The only people I know that go to comedy clubs are stand up comedians, ex stand up comedians trying to motivate themselves to get into stand up again and old bored people.

Looking at Netflix there's dozens of comedy specials from people I've never heard of, and they're usually never funny. It's pretty depressing, even Yucko has quit stand up and just writes now.

Doing stand up is just a poo poo way to market yourself as a entertainment personality nowadays. If you figure your audience is 60-200 people on average a night and you're doing that a few times a month... you're reaching nobody and you're poor. Then if you're touring, you're doing shows in the middle of nowhere, living in a lovely cum stained comedy condo or hotel, most likely doing weekday shows with even less people and more frequently while still reaching nobody and being poor.

The reality is that if you release something remotely funny on youtube or a podcast, you will reach more people in a week than you would doing stand up year round. If you're consistently releasing funny stuff on youtube or a podcast, you will get a bunch of subscribers that are there to see and listen to you, and at some point someone from the entertainment industry will notice you. Look at that Jenna Marbles chick, youtube comedian to hollywood.

Stand Up hit its peak in the 80s, and it's been dying a slow depressing death ever since.

Yeah, most of the standups who made friends managed to find producer/writer credits on TV shows. Stand-up is a very depressing artform and the people it attracts are quite scuzzy by the whole. Sometimes you get a really funny person, but most of the time you get a lot of sad people or siblings of famous people and it just doesn't work.

I'm surprised Norton still tours.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's too bad standup seems to be a dying breed - when I was in college I saw a ton of (at the time) nobody standups at dive one-off comedy clubs with dumb names like "The Chuckle Hut" in various small hellholes like East Moline who eventually went on to being extremely funny and having big careers.

I saw Dave Attell, Dave Chappelle, Louis CK and a couple other guys who went on to great standup success when they were pretty unknown, opening or second billed for someone bigger at the time like Richard Jeni or Richard Lewis. And there was no youtube then, so we were taking chances with our $12 tickets to see 5 acts or whatever.

One that really surprised me was seeing Carrot Top in like '93 and he loving killed it in real life. I've never laughed so hard and I was extremely skeptical going in because he wasn't an unknown then but still relatively new on the national scene and it seemed like a dumb act on TV. There wasn't even beer served since it was at a college auditorium, so I know he was funny!

Outside of Louis CK, it seems like you're going to find a better selection coming out of the UK nowadays - Frankie Boyle and Dara O'Briain for example are hilarious and it's too bad they don't have anything on Netflix yet.

Speaking of things that used to be funny, whatever happened to Richard Christy writing goof songs? He had a million classics before he joined the show, and now his biggest comedy bit is getting some moonlighting AM host to say "Ben Dover" on the air in rural Kentucky to an audience of 11 Rick Santorum voters.

CrazyAss13
Jun 12, 2002
Awesome Dude

haljordan posted:

Was anyone ever able to verify the story Artie told on "Jack and Coke" about Chris Rock being on the show and (correctly) guessed that Howard would line up a bunch of guys on the phone simply to call him racial slurs? I can't find in mentioned anywhere except for that CD.

You'll have to listen to the Artie bit again. Artie didn't say he would line up a bunch of guys on the phone to call him a racial slur. He said the first 3 calls on Howard's board wanted to call him a racial slur and he would allow some of them thru and claim he didn't know the caller would be racist.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Speaking of bad stand up comedy, Bob Levy's wife was posting on a forum for the Cleveland Cavaliers (she's apparently a fan and is from the area) and people were asking for some details on Bob's leaving the show. I don't think this is anything new, but nonetheless:

quote:

Bob got in a huge fight with Stern and doesn't do the show anymore. First they told Bob he wasn't allowed to go on O and A to promote shows even though all the comedians do both shows and even though they are both on Sirius.
Then when the Artie stuff went down Bob spoke out about how Howard was enabling him and making a bit out of this guy's serious addiction. Bob and Artie are extremely close and after Artie's suicide attempt Mrs Lange called Bob at least once a week to talk to him. It is very hosed up what they did to Artie and how they treated him during and after his breakdown. I can't go into details but trust me, you would be horrified for Artie and completely disgusted with Howard and some of the people.

And a funny (and :nms: Beetlejuice story):

quote:

Beet used to stay at our house all the time. One time he got really sick and came out to the living room and was crying and told me he didn't feel well. So I helped him and got him into the bed and then went to sleep. Bob and Beet had to leave at 5 AM to get a flight to a show. As they're walking out Beet says to me, "Sorry about your bathroom".
So if you know Beet you know he's not the cleanest person and has accidents so I'm horrified to see what is in there. He had gotten sick and had diarrhea EVERYWHERE. I had to throw away everything in my bathroom, including the heat register. He had somehow gotten poop IN THE HEATER VENT. On the throw rug, on the shower curtain. I wanted to move.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
That rant he [Howard] went off on about Sal this morning was loving stupid. Grasping at straws is one thing for comedy but it just wasn't funny and he was busting Sal's balls for [supposedly] busting on Whitney's balls.

I'm not the world's biggest Sal fan but jesus christ that was aggravating.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
When I think of Artie busting on Whitney, I laugh. When I read Sal was busting on Whitney, I literally think he took his dick out and busted a load on her because Sal is a psychopathic woman hater.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CrazyAss13 posted:

You'll have to listen to the Artie bit again. Artie didn't say he would line up a bunch of guys on the phone to call him a racial slur. He said the first 3 calls on Howard's board wanted to call him a racial slur and he would allow some of them thru and claim he didn't know the caller would be racist.

Chris Rock also pointed it out once. When Howard said "we have some calls for you", Rock immediately said, "Oh, boy! It's the part of the show where I get called a friend of the family!".

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

prefect posted:

Chris Rock also pointed it out once. When Howard said "we have some calls for you", Rock immediately said, "Oh, boy! It's the part of the show where I get called a friend of the family!".

See, I thought that all happened on the same interview. I'm still trying to find it on YouTube and there's a bunch of Chris Rock interviews on Stern, but I can't find that exact one.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

See, I thought that all happened on the same interview. I'm still trying to find it on YouTube and there's a bunch of Chris Rock interviews on Stern, but I can't find that exact one.

Might be this one, but I'll have to see if I can find audio to confirm:

http://www.marksfriggin.com/news04/9-6.htm#fri

quote:

Howard told Chris he was going to take some phone calls and Chris knew that someone was going to call him a ''nigga.''

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Hah, Beth and the guy she was with both deleted the picture that caused the uproar this morning.

Stern Fan Network had it of course. Here's the offending pic:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

musclecoder posted:

Hah, Beth and the guy she was with both deleted the picture that caused the uproar this morning.

Mark's Friggin posted:

Gary said he's getting mad now. He said that Howard is letting this guy create trouble where trouble doesn't exist. Gary said they don't have a problem. He said that King is just creating trouble.

Baba Booey loves to strangle great radio in the crib.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.

musclecoder posted:

Ouch. That'd drive me nuts if I was Stern.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

musclecoder posted:

That is a very good looking couple.

I missed the uproar - I assume Howard was unhappy with how comfortable Beth looks in that gorgeous man's arms?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

musclecoder posted:

That's one hell of an emotional friend.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Ouch. That'd drive me nuts if I was Stern.

With how insecure Howard must be, this picture has to drive him nuts.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
ONE FOUR THREE

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Kelly posted:

That is a very good looking couple.

I missed the uproar - I assume Howard was unhappy with how comfortable Beth looks in that gorgeous man's arms?

Howard wasn't unhappy at all (unless he was hiding it well). King of all blacks called in while Beth was on the phone and started yelling at her and at Howard that he should be angry. Then Robin made some comment like "that is a pretty intimate pose" which got Howard a bit worried. But other than that he didn't really rage about it. I could be missing something but I didn't listen to the whole segment, it was kind of boring.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Was she drunk or something? Cause that is like 2 am, "I'm going home with this guy" eyes.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The best part was when Beth said something like, "And he's a very attractive guy!" shortly after saying she spends 12-16 hours a day with him.

Oh, and then her phone mysteriously disconnected.

:laugh:

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

He looks like a more masculine Ryan Seacrest

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

He reminds me a bit more of John Barrowman, of Doctor Who/Torchwood fame.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
He totally reminds me of a dude who sleeps with rich old guy's hot wives.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

He totally reminds me of a dude who sleeps with rich old guy's hot wives.

He rescues white lobsters on the beach

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
He looks like a guy that knows how to save a Word document.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Streebs posted:

Howard wasn't unhappy at all (unless he was hiding it well). King of all blacks called in while Beth was on the phone and started yelling at her and at Howard that he should be angry. Then Robin made some comment like "that is a pretty intimate pose" which got Howard a bit worried. But other than that he didn't really rage about it. I could be missing something but I didn't listen to the whole segment, it was kind of boring.

Welp time to start listening daily again.

It's objectively correct that Beth having an affair is good for the show right?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm torn. The human being in me feels legitimately horrible and a little bit sick for Howard. It makes me cringe a seeing that, but the degenerate Howard Stern fan in me wants to see everything crash and burn for the sake of the great radio it will entertain me with.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Oh thank god, finally something interesting may happen to make me start listening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Yeah wow. That picture.

Beths face in that image isn't a "friendly" face at all. Those are bedroom eyes, and her body language is screaming I WANT TO BONE THIS GUYS BRAINS OUT (again).

Poor Howard.

I would feel bad for him, but he has built up entirely enough negative karma through the years to have this one coming. Also, trophy wife.