Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Having done Chumpcar and Lemons in the states I strongly agree with the trio this week. Golf to me is the ultimate symbol of middle/upper class tedium and my workmates in America were all golfers. I was "that crazy guy who races cars" in the group, when really it was track days with my M3 and events not unlike the UK rallycross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

I don't know how to make gifs but here's a screenshot!

:q:

And a bonus of Jeremy's "winning face"

:smug:
"Ladies and gentlemen, a miracle has happened today! I have won a thing!"

Edit: I just realized how remarkably similar these screenshots are.

These are awesome. Thanks!

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

ratbert90 posted:

Poor MR2 :smith: Although I wonder if it had the 5sfe or the 3sge in it.

it's most definitely a N/A car if May bought it for 700 quid

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
May talking with the Ferrari owner about wanting to drive that car didn't seem like it was scripted. The guy looked genuinely scared to let him drive it. God what a beautiful car.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Turns out the bit with the jam of learner drivers was staged, which didn't surprise me for some reason - but the bit with the schoolkids running after Jsmes in the Ferrari, they insist, was real.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

OptimusMatrix posted:

May talking with the Ferrari owner about wanting to drive that car didn't seem like it was scripted. The guy looked genuinely scared to let him drive it. God what a beautiful car.
"The guy" is Chris Evans, he's been on TG before as a SIARPC. He's either a brilliant radio/tv host or a massive twathammer depending on personal taste.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

EL Bombastico posted:

UK/Europe had the basic 3SGE for a stock engine so ya it is most likely a N/A.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 14, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I don't think you'd find any 5SFE MR2 in the UK, whether it's a UK-market car or an import, it's going to have some flavour of 3SG-- in it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
All I could think of during this weeks TGUS was this

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I only got to see the last 15min with the ugh Donald Trump scene. My dad hasn't watched the show except for that short part and said they all look like geeks.

I ended up watching some season 2 last night that I missed before though and thoroughly enjoyed the $500 cheap car challenge.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Should have been their own mothers/grannies co-driving

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, that bit reminded me of the TGUK segment where they each got their mom out to review three cars. That part was the better part of the episode compared to the schtick with the Donald.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I love top gear gifs.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Only just got around to watching the latest TGUK and I thought it was a pretty great way to end the series. The M5 film was okay, but May's Ferrari California film and the rallycross segment more than made up for it. Kimi was a pretty boring guest, but he's renowned for that so I wasn't expecting anything else. Slash was a pretty decent guest.

On the whole I haven't been a huge fan of this series, the only impressive episodes to me were the first one (driving through Italy in supercars) and the last two. Hopefully they can come back strongly later in the year.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I don't think you'd find any 5SFE MR2 in the UK, whether it's a UK-market car or an import, it's going to have some flavour of 3SG-- in it.
Rear spoiler + sunroof for a UK car probably means GT Coupé which had the 3-SGE. I know this because I've got one parked about 15' away from me right now. :v: Only the base spec model over here had the gutless wonder which was the two litre 5S-FE lump.

Also, my brother and me were having a running debate about whether James May was driving the Ferrari around Windsor or not right up until the shot of the Long Walk and the castle. Annoyingly, I was taking the "It might be, it might not be" side. :saddowns:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Hmm...I wonder what this unaired segment was about? It's the only thing from the season premiere teaser that didn't make it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
"How fast can a jet plane go around our track?"

(Harrier did it in ~30 seconds but that wasn't on the ground :colbert:)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Payndz posted:

Turns out the bit with the jam of learner drivers was staged, which didn't surprise me for some reason - but the bit with the schoolkids running after Jsmes in the Ferrari, they insist, was real.

well, yeah, that was pretty obvious. It would be too convenient to actually run into something like that while filming. But it is a (slightly exaggerated) thing that you can and do run into fairly frequently... Driving schools parallel parking on streets like that, being boxed in on streets like that, having to reverse out of the way to let someone past, etc. If they had enough time and film, they would have found themselves in a similar situation eventually, just driving around.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, but based on that episode, I decided not to buy a £5.6m classic car, because of the risk that I might have been stuck behind a learner driver while using it on the public road. In fact, I sold all my other Ferraris too (at a loss), as it just seems too dangerous.

To find out now that the BBC lied to the nation is just sickening. I demand Top Gear be taken off the air, that I receive a written apology from their so-called presenters, and that I'm compensated for both the loss I made in selling my cars, and the mental anquish of no longer knowing who I can trust.

The BBC used to stand for something. This never would have happened when Noel Edmonds presented Top Gear!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

The BBC used to stand for something. This never would have happened when Noel Edmonds presented Top Gear!

Who? :v:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

InitialDave posted:

I can never reconcile my feelings about Noel Edmonds, he did house party which I enjoyed as a kid but now he does that loving awful Deal or No Deal. So some good stuff in the past, and a programme which I cannot stand so for a long time I thought he was a complete twat.

Until I remembered something I read about him, if he has guests over at his house, either for a house party or whatever, he sometimes excuses himself only to slip on the Mr Blobby outfit and come charging through a room full of guests.
I think that almost makes him cool.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, that bit reminded me of the TGUK segment where they each got their mom out to review three cars. That part was the better part of the episode compared to the schtick with the Donald.
That was when they made fun of Hammond's old headshot, right? What episode was that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Here is Edmonds in his daily driver during the Seventies:

He also really, really pissed off the Daily Mail by, years later, telling people how fast he used to drive it. I might not like his TV programmes, but as a car guy I've got no issues with him.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
UK rallycross looks absolutely awesome. Chumpcar/Lemons is the best we have over here? They both seem like paved, endurance races which isn't nearly as appealing to me.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I was a bit bored so I made this for you.

The best Ferrari.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EL Bombastico posted:

Ge not gte

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I wish the California segment had been even longer. That thing has been burned into my brain as the most awesome car ever since I saw Ferris Bueller as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7AyiVfNdA

gently caress yeah.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

In the back of my head I was almost expecting May to pull the car back into the garage, place it on stands and put it into reverse.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

That was an amazing episode. After the trainwreck of the india special, that was goddamn gold.

Griffith86
Jun 19, 2008

djdanno13 posted:

In the back of my head I was almost expecting May to pull the car back into the garage, place it on stands and put it into reverse.

I was kinda hoping for that or that Yello song.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Has the limo C4 corvette always been in the background of the TG:USA test track shots? Am I missing an episode?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

dreesemonkey posted:

UK rallycross looks absolutely awesome. Chumpcar/Lemons is the best we have over here? They both seem like paved, endurance races which isn't nearly as appealing to me.

I think it's huge fun, at least during Chumpcar you have the time to really get to know the track and the line. Once you've got that figured out you start figuring who you can pass etc.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

McTinkerson posted:

Has the limo C4 corvette always been in the background of the TG:USA test track shots? Am I missing an episode?
Not sure, but the preview for the next ep had limo conversions so it's probably from that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I hate to say it but I think Top Gear US has had a better season than Top Gear UK this time around. UK was kinda boring with a lot of rehashes. US has been pretty solid with big rig challenge, muscle cars, minivans crossing the rockies, etc. Only painful thing on the US show is the celebrity car lap. It's so short and pointless they should just drop it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know if it's that it's short, it's just that the commentating manages to make it sound so boring. Like it's just some car driving around, and they're pointing out the highlights of the track like they do every week, never making mention of the driving style or whether it's funny or exciting or anything is riding on it.

At first I thought it might make a good shakeup to have them do the lap first and the interview second, but now I'm seeing that it's really essential to do it the TGUK way, because that way you've gotten to know the person (which is especially helpful if you've never heard of him before) and have some idea whether to expect him to be good or bad on the track or going for some particular goal or whatever. This way it's just "okay let's watch an indistinguishable lap being driven by someone we don't even know, all right now let's go inside and see who it is".

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Data Graham posted:

This way it's just "okay let's watch an indistinguishable lap being driven by someone we don't even know, all right now let's go inside and see who it is".

Sometimes they're a bit rough with the blending from feauture > star-car segment. It's like they just cut their "challenge" and spliced in the star-car part like no one would notice the abrupt halt to the challenge.

As you said, it would be a lot better with the interview first. TGUK is good for having a bit of a "we'll pick this up a bit later, but first a star..." spot while IN the studio, so it feels a bit more natural than randomly appearing at the side of the track with the "celebrity".

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Yeah, it's definitely clunky, even down to having a shot of the car driving into the studio. It just begs the question, why?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The episode where the boys have to buy a super luxury car for the same price (or less) as the Nissan Pixo is on BBCA. Any idea if they'll tell us how they did in the long run?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

The episode where the boys have to buy a super luxury car for the same price (or less) as the Nissan Pixo is on BBCA. Any idea if they'll tell us how they did in the long run?

Was just watching that. IIRC, a couple episodes later they brought it up again, they both had lolmassive repairs.

Still want the 850.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

opengl128 posted:

Was just watching that. IIRC, a couple episodes later they brought it up again, they both had lolmassive repairs.

Still want the 850.

I'm a sucker for pop-up headlights and the 850's are fantastic.