Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011
Wow, I saw it mentioned earlier that this was a way that the Mordin mission could play out, but gently caress how heartless do you have to be to take this route? Yes, Shepard literally shoots Mordin as he gets into the elevator, and he dies crawling to the console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FOxbe36KsI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I still can't work out how they went backwards there.

The fact you can get quests but be unable to start or complete then until later in the plot is annoying too.
Not being able to sort your messages at your private terminal by date is my biggest peeve.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
They certainly found a way to make scanning even more annoying. Wander aimlessly while clicking the button until OH NO you pressed it too many times abandon system, go somewhere else and forget where you scanned in the current system so you get to do it all over again. There should be some kind of overlay in each system to show where you've scanned.

Also those tiny reapers remind me of Pac-Man ghosts.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Do anyone have a way to cheat for war assests? I hate the fetch quests and scanning.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I didn't leave a system til I'd scanned all the planets or found all of the sites. Only thing I'd be missing that way was fuel.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really miss my Geth Shield Boost from ME2. I thought it would transfer over, or give me it as a bonus for importing my ME2 character.

I expected to have this bonus from the get-go. I've become addicted to running out of cover, getting my shields taken out, boosting them back up, THEN taking cover again. It's really screwing up my flow.

I tried starting a new game as a Sentinel thinking they had it but their extra shield is not what I was expecting at all. Is there an equivalent in this game that I can equip from the start?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Shield boost powers in 2 where bad, the only good shield was tech armor because you could stun dudes with them and be badass assault sentinal.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

You get Fortification as a bonus (loyalty) power from one of the default squadmates very early in the game, and Defense Matrix from another one later. I haven't tried them but they might be what you're looking for, they're not the same but they're both defensive buff. There's also Barrier if you kept Kaidan alive.

Alternatively, play Infiltrator and use cloak as effectively a "second shield" (or, more likely, a first shield).

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 14, 2012

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ACanofPepsi posted:

I really miss my Geth Shield Boost from ME2. I thought it would transfer over, or give me it as a bonus for importing my ME2 character.

I expected to have this bonus from the get-go. I've become addicted to running out of cover, getting my shields taken out, boosting them back up, THEN taking cover again. It's really screwing up my flow.

I tried starting a new game as a Sentinel thinking they had it but their extra shield is not what I was expecting at all. Is there an equivalent in this game that I can equip from the start?

Pretty sure the only thing in ME3 that you can press to restore shields is Adrenaline Rush for the Soldier, assuming you spec into that option. The chance to insta-restore shields when they go down is gone, and Tech Armor provides flat damage resistance instead of shield restore.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I'm just about to make the final push and I've gotta say, never have I enjoyed the little character moments so much in a plot that I care so little about.

The Reaper plot is really barebones "go here and do this because video games", but the way the characters react to it and live underneath it is so great. And I finally got Stasis off of Liara, right after everything went to hell :woop:

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
When you deactivate defense matrix it restores your shields. Barrier apparently lifts dudes into the air when you detonate it, but I haven't unlocked it as a bonus power yet.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Part of the risk is that if the reason doesn't hold up to scrutiny then you've undermined the story. It can also reduce them as a threat; there's a difference between an unknowable, implacable force of nature and a bunch of bad aliens.

It's normal to want to know, but that doesn't mean the story would be improved by finding out.
You've said that better than I could. Thanks.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are lots and lots of permutations for that section. Some just change a few lines, some have Shepard shooting Mordin in the back, with him dying trying to reach the console.
Oh god that's just downright appalling. Seriously holy gently caress for doing that to a friend.

NihilCredo posted:

The latter. Although, ME3 has fewer companions in general, and only a few of those could die in ME2. Depending on various choices, the minimum is 3 available squadmates, the maximum is 8.
Garrus, EDI, Tali, Liara, Javik, James, Ashley and...?

DesolateRampage posted:

So the game, besides the ending angering me, unless you believe the indoctrination theory, which kind of makes sense. was very well done. Some of the emotional bombs in this game really hit me hard. 28 year old dude trying to not choke up during some parts? Yep....
The most emotional parts of the game for me were:

- Meeting Kelly Chambers in the refugee camp then finding out Cerberus summarily executed her. I can't remember the last time I felt that angry at an event in a game before.
- On Tuchanka when Mordin went to the top of the Shroud and sacrificed himself to save he Krogan. Only Red Dead Redemption has put tears in my eyes like that.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

MadRhetoric posted:

I'm just about to make the final push and I've gotta say, never have I enjoyed the little character moments so much in a plot that I care so little about.

The Reaper plot is really barebones "go here and do this because video games", but the way the characters react to it and live underneath it is so great. And I finally got Stasis off of Liara, right after everything went to hell :woop:

The game is really amazing at doing that, isn't it? The characters in ME3 have never felt more alive and natural. I've always liked Liara, but even still the things they have done with her character in ME3 compared to Me1 or vanilla ME2 are just astounding. There's a massive improvement.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Garrus, EDI, Tali, Liara, Javik, James, Ashley and...?
Whoops, sorry, I accidentally counter both potential Virmire survivors.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished this game yesterday afternoon and I'm going to repeat the sentiment that 99% of this game was absolutely kick rear end while the last 1% of it was completely WTF.

It got to a point where I was getting all emotionally invested in this game. I started deciding who I would assign to my squad based on interactions and story rather than for tactical reasons. It made me regret things like only getting romantically involved with Liara until the 3rd game. It made me wish I had tried harder to keep Wrex from dying in the first because the krogan who replaced him was a d-bag. I also had to keep playing for hours and HOURS until I heard every bit of dialog from like, every single talkative character in the goddamn game.

Now that I've finished it and gone through the paragon story I can play it with a little less emotional attachment by going through it as a bitchy femshep renegade. I can't get over how much better the voice actor is at being a bad-rear end than male shep.

Question Edit: It's my first time trying the class so does anybody have any Insanity level tips for a Sentinel? I'm mostly trying to play her like an Infiltrator with tech armor instead of cloak and I'm wondering if there's some straight up awesome way to play the Sent that I should be doing?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 14, 2012

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Finished this game yesterday afternoon and I'm going to repeat the sentiment that 99% of this game was absolutely kick rear end while the last 1% of it was completely WTF.

It got to a point where I was getting all emotionally invested in this game. I started deciding who I would assign to my squad based on interactions and story rather than for tactical reasons. It made me regret things like only getting romantically involved with Liara until the 3rd game. It made me wish I had tried harder to keep Wrex from dying in the first because the krogan who replaced him was a d-bag. I also had to keep playing for hours and HOURS until I heard every bit of dialog from like, every single talkative character in the goddamn game.

Now that I've finished it and gone through the paragon story I can play it with a little less emotional attachment by going through it as a bitchy femshep renegade. I can't get over how much better the voice actor is at being a bad-rear end than male shep.

Male shep doesn't even seem to exist in my mind, his VA just seems flat and generic and doesn't fit the character at all.

It's always going to be femshep for me. :colbert:

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011

The Quake posted:

Male shep doesn't even seem to exist in my mind, his VA just seems flat and generic and doesn't fit the character at all.

For what it's worth Meer nails this time around

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I didn't leave a system til I'd scanned all the planets or found all of the sites. Only thing I'd be missing that way was fuel.

How do you do this with Reapers chasing you from all sides?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Defense Matrix is amazing. I would argue that it's the definitive bonus power for Engineers. It can be built to give 25% more tech damage, and the cooldown penalty can be reduced at the final level, and even further negated with Blood Dragon or Inferno Armor. This gives you extra defense for more staying power, and an oh poo poo button to recharge your shields, which addresses the only complaint I would ever consider against Engineers, which is their fragility.

I am doing a new game+ with what I thought was going to be a gimmick build with Tech Mastery built for the Drone mastery, which increases shields and damage on your turret and drone. It's doing incredibly well so far, the drone built for rockets is mangling enemy lines while the flamethrower turret is wrecking poo poo. Even if something decides to shoot at me I have Defense Matrix so I don't fold over like paper.

Engineers :science:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
drat, the Quarian missions continue to have the best music. The music for the Reaper base is heroically epic as gently caress.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Has anyone had any trouble getting the voice commands with Kinect working? I've played about 3 hours and am yelling at my tv with nothing happening. I have the Kinect setup and already used the tuner. It recognizes when I'm speaking on the dashboard, but doesn't do anything when in the actual game. Any ideas or something I should enable? Thanks

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dick Trauma posted:

If you've found an anomaly and start scanning right away it'll pause the chase on the galaxy map. You get a few seconds before Reapers get to full speed to book it to the mass relay.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dick Trauma posted:

I ran a lot. I mean I didn't fly off to another system, I'd just exhaust one before moving on. Nothing to remember that way.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Dick Trauma posted:

I just quick-saved on the Normandy before I started scanning. Found all the things there were, quick loaded, and then picked them up...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Guys there are lists now for that kind of thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Quake posted:

If you don't take it seriously and view the game pretty much as Archer In Space, then male Shep works so, so much better.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Darko posted:

If you don't take it seriously and view the game pretty much as Archer In Space, then male Shep works so, so much better.

I felt just a touch dirty playing Renegade Shep in ME3 because the stakes were so much higher, like in ME1 and ME2 it was largely
code:

Be Cyril Figgis

/
o
  \ 
    Be Sterling Archer

and now it's

Reasonable Response
  /
o
  \ 
    Commit Genocide

melon farmer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 14, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Quake posted:

Then you never saw the drunk Ashley scene. :colbert:

Seriously, Mark Meer sounds fantastic in this scene. I do wonder if he was into the 'action' stuff as much as this.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

poptart_fairy posted:

Seriously, Mark Meer sounds fantastic in this scene. I do wonder if he was into the 'action' stuff as much as this.

Bahaha that was AMAZING. I am almost sad I have no Ashley playthroughs, that was priceless.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Well, I never thought the old robot with a soul trope would get to me, but drat did Legion's death make me teary.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tooter posted:

I always thought about that too. Playing a vanguard I always wondered when someone is running away from me or towards something I want why I didn't just charge them and beat them to it.

It bugged me how you were in a scripted chase scene on Mars and as a Vanguard I couldn't immediately end it. You can't even try to use Charge.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Is that romance related / does that only happen with manshep? 'Cause if it isn't, I'll wait to see it for myself.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

The Quake posted:

I feel the exact opposite. Hale sounds absolutely horrible in all of the ME games and I can't stand playing a femShep at all because of it. Every time she says anything I just have to go "SHUT UP ALREADY!".

It's strange, because she's never bothered me in anything else she's in. Actually, her being in so much stuff makes her pretty much the definition of "generic".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

Is that romance related / does that only happen with manshep? 'Cause if it isn't, I'll wait to see it for myself.

I romanced someone else, and I got prompted for that scene somewhere in the last third of the game. Not sure if it happens if you romance Ash.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Drake Bate posted:

For what it's worth Meer nails this time around

Meer is actually pretty sweet this time around, but Hale just sounds like she's ready to murder any and everything that gets in her way.

Case in point; The last Kai Leng fight in TIM's base. The taunting she does and the Renegade interrupt where you gut that dirty space ninja like a kipper just can't be beat. Translated into Elcor, she'd run the "Badassfully" prescript into the ground harder than the Blasto thing did.

"That was for Thane and Miranda you son of a bitch!" :black101:

ManShep has a straight laced, unflappable kind of delivery but FemShep is a lot grittier and emotional. Her lines have more of a bite to them, which is why I think the general "canon consensus" was Paragon ManShep, Renegade RemShep.

You can use Charge on Mars in that chase scene, it just does fuckall.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

I definitely agree that ManShep makes a better Paragon, and FemShep makes a better Renegade. Hale just does a Shepard that sounds almost constantly annoyed, pissed off, and frustrated.

Which I'm not saying is a bad thing, but it's why I think she makes a much better renegade.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

UnknownMercenary posted:

If you've found an anomaly and start scanning right away it'll pause the chase on the galaxy map. You get a few seconds before Reapers get to full speed to book it to the mass relay.

I ended up scanning planets first (where all the real assets are), then pinging empty space (which is always fuel, or I think a couple of times credits). If I alerted the reapers I'd either quickly nab it if I had breathing room, or exit the system via the green circle and pop right back in. you'd come back in at a semi-randomized point and a few seconds before the reapers show up again, so if I came back in close to the resource I had time to grab it before popping back out. (And if not, just pop in-out til it did.) There's not enough missions in the game to be resetting them all the time.

I like Hale's voice even as a paragon, but maybe it's because she's all I used at first. Meer just doesn't sound like Shepard when I tried. I like how she always sounds slightly annoyed though. It gives me the feeling that she's just letting everyone know she doesn't have a lot of patience for other people's crap but she's trying anyway out of duty.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aristobulus posted:

I definitely agree that ManShep makes a better Paragon, and FemShep makes a better Renegade. Hale just does a Shepard that sounds almost constantly annoyed, pissed off, and frustrated.

Which I'm not saying is a bad thing, but it's why I think she makes a much better renegade.

I can't take her at all Renegade BECAUSE of that. It's FUNNY when MaleShep does ridiculous stuff in Renegade because he sounds so detached still. FemShep sounds far far too serious while doing it and ends up making me annoyed with her instead of whatever she's overreacting to.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Darko posted:

I can't take her at all Renegade BECAUSE of that. It's FUNNY when MaleShep does ridiculous stuff in Renegade because he sounds so detached still. FemShep sounds far far too serious while doing it and ends up making me annoyed with her instead of whatever she's overreacting to.

Well maybe, but I've never really played a renegade or anything so I'm just going off some videoclips I've seen. I might even agree with you if I gave Renegade/FemShep more of a chance.

But I've always played a Paragon/MaleShep, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I have a weird question here.

Can anyone tell me just how bad the ending is without spoiling anything? I've heard from countless places across the internet that the ending is irredeemably bad and since I'm so involved in the plot I want to brace myself for the disappointment.

I mean how bad could it possibly be? Is it St. Elsewhere levels of horror? Are people just exaggerating? I just don't want to get to the end and then have all the enjoyment I've had crashed to poo poo without at least some preparation.

• Locked thread