Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Red Mundus posted:

I have a weird question here.

Can anyone tell me just how bad the ending is without spoiling anything? I've heard from countless places across the internet that the ending is irredeemably bad and since I'm so involved in the plot I want to brace myself for the disappointment.

I mean how bad could it possibly be? Is it St. Elsewhere levels of horror? Are people just exaggerating? I just don't want to get to the end and then have all the enjoyment I've had crashed to poo poo without at least some preparation.

The ending is seriously poisonous. You can straight up just cut the power to your console before the last few minutes and get a better ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Red Mundus posted:

Can anyone tell me just how bad the ending is without spoiling anything? I've heard from countless places across the internet that the ending is irredeemably bad and since I'm so involved in the plot I want to brace myself for the disappointment.

I mean how bad could it possibly be? Is it St. Elsewhere levels of horror? Are people just exaggerating? I just don't want to get to the end and then have all the enjoyment I've had crashed to poo poo without at least some preparation.

It is bad because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the universe they gave us. However, I am replaying the game and plan on stopping about 10 minutes before the ending and am perfectly content with that as an "ending."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Red Mundus posted:

The ending is disconnected from the main plot and makes no sense with the narrative up to that point. The overall IDEA of the ending makes sense as it matches your final choices in ME1/2 in a way, but it's executed in a way that seems that someone else came in and shoehorned an ending in without reading the rest of the story at the last minute.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Darko posted:

I can't take her at all Renegade BECAUSE of that. It's FUNNY when MaleShep does ridiculous stuff in Renegade because he sounds so detached still. FemShep sounds far far too serious while doing it and ends up making me annoyed with her instead of whatever she's overreacting to.

But if you're not selling Renegade as dumbfuck, then Hale's "I'm too old for this poo poo" almost growl is endearing. Different strokes, I guess.

The ending isn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is, but it is pretty lovely. Be prepared to take the piss out of it or write it off as a goofy post-script.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Red Mundus posted:

I thought people were exaggerating because people have become kneejerk negative on everything BioWare does recently, but it is St. Elsewhere levels of bad. Read this after you finish the game. It's also just executed poorly.

There is another potential ending that is hanging around from the leaked script that apparently was what they originally planned that also contains left field ridiculousness but also foreshadows itself constantly throughout the trilogy. This one they went with doesn't even make sense in the context of it's own fiction.

The game is still worth playing, though. Everything before that last 5 minutes culminated beautifully.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 14, 2012

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

The endings are lame.

That shouldn't make it so that all the enjoyment you have throughout the course of the game get crushed though. There's A LOT of enjoyment to be had throughout the entirely of ME3.

Unfortunately the VERY last few minutes prior to the credits don't contribute to any of it.

But anyways, can I just take this moment to state how much I enjoyed Martin Sheens Illusive Man? I just couldn't get enough of that guy.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 14, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So I think I hit a bug: Miranda told me to meet her at the spectre office but when I went there she's nowhere to be found. Is this normal or is there some kind of workaround?

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So I think I hit a bug: Miranda told me to meet her at the spectre office but when I went there she's nowhere to be found. Is this normal or is there some kind of workaround?

A console to the left of the main one opens up and you talk to her through comms.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
She's not there in person. You should be able to use the leftmost terminal, next to the ones for information and purchasing, to contact her.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Check the terminal that's to the right of the spectre messages terminal.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Check the terminal on the far left of the Spectre office, it's never activated before or after this so it's a little confusing.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Where the heck is Dekunna?

Do I need to talk to the Asari councilor first?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The Quake posted:

A console to the left of the main one opens up and you talk to her through comms.

Derp! I thought it was a little odd having three consoles in that room but only getting to use 2 of them. I had the same problem with the heating system sidequest, took me almost four minutes before I realized I had to aim my cursor slightly higher than usual.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

PunkBoy posted:

It's in the Silean Nebula which doesn't fully open up until you finish the Quarian/Geth part of the story I think.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

I looked for Dekunna for an hour yesterday for a side mission. Ends up it's the Phontes System inside Silean Nebula Cluster.

Turns out after I found it I discovered I had already accomplished the requirements for the side mission at some point without even knowing.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

AndyElusive posted:

I looked for Dekunna for an hour yesterday for a side mission. Ends up it's the Phontes System inside Silean Nebula Cluster.

Turns out after I found it I discovered I had already accomplished the requirements for the side mission at some point without even knowing.

Yeah, this exact thing happened to me and I wasted 15 minutes looking for something I already had. How was I supposed to know that you can't finish a quest as soon as you accept it unless you leave the area and come back.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

The ending is poor but how poor is tied to how much you've invested yourself into Mass Effect as a whole. After replaying ME1 and ME2 many times and having multiple save files I had intended to import into ME3. After going through the incredible game that is 99% of Mass Effect 3, the ending really did turn me off.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That quest is miserable as gently caress.

"Did you get many civilians out?"

"Not enough."

Coming from an Elcor, the way it's phrased is just :smith:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

The Reaper from that vision? I don't think it shows up in the Eden Prime vision, only the later ones.

I just mean the crazy fragmented one that he gets from ME1 and then sees again later when he first encounters the Prothean stasis chamber-thing in ME3.

Does anybody else have an issue with the Citadel side-quest "Ismar Frontier: Prototype Components"? You're supposed to scan Metaponto which is also where you get War Assets: Turian Seventh Fleet. I did the War Asset before I did the Prototype quest and now I can't get the Components when I re-scan the planet and I don't seem to get anything when I enter the planet's orbit.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 14, 2012

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Aristobulus posted:

The ending is seriously poisonous. You can straight up just cut the power to your console before the last few minutes and get a better ending.

Count Choculitis posted:

It is bad because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the universe they gave us. However, I am replaying the game and plan on stopping about 10 minutes before the ending and am perfectly content with that as an "ending."

Darko posted:

The ending is disconnected from the main plot and makes no sense with the narrative up to that point. The overall IDEA of the ending makes sense as it matches your final choices in ME1/2 in a way, but it's executed in a way that seems that someone else came in and shoehorned an ending in without reading the rest of the story at the last minute.

kuddles posted:

I thought people were exaggerating because people have become kneejerk negative on everything BioWare does recently, but it is St. Elsewhere levels of bad. Read this after you finish the game. It's also just executed poorly.

There is another potential ending that is hanging around from the leaked script that apparently was what they originally planned that also contains left field ridiculousness but also foreshadows itself constantly throughout the trilogy. This one they went with doesn't even make sense in the context of it's own fiction.

The game is still worth playing, though. Everything before that last 5 minutes culminated beautifully.

AndyElusive posted:

The endings are lame.

That shouldn't make it so that all the enjoyment you have throughout the course of the game get crushed though. There's A LOT of enjoyment to be had throughout the entirely of ME3.

Unfortunately the VERY last few minutes prior to the credits don't contribute to any of it.

But anyways, can I just take this moment to state how much I enjoyed Martin Sheens Illusive Man? I just couldn't get enough of that guy.

:stare:

Holy poo poo. I can't wait to see how bad this is now. That's unreal.

ChronoReverse posted:

The ending is poor but how poor is tied to how much you've invested yourself into Mass Effect as a whole. After replaying ME1 and ME2 many times and having multiple save files I had intended to import into ME3. After going through the incredible game that is 99% of Mass Effect 3, the ending really did turn me off.

Whelp, I'm screwed. I did the same and went back and replayed ME 1+2 to prepare for 3. No matter how cheesy the dialog/plot got I always loved the ME storyline.

I wonder if the ending is worse than The Matrix: Path of Neo? THAT game had one hell of a lovely ending.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Regarding Miranda:

Just gave her the resources to continue her work and she confessed about the control chip. Is there another event? I'm afraid I'm starting it too late. :(

kater
Nov 16, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Regarding Miranda:

It's a mandatory story mission you get later.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Drake Bate posted:

For what it's worth Meer nails this time around
Never really warmed to his Shep but he certainly does a terrific stand in job playing Mordin this time round. Hale excelled in both versions for me, managing both tender and haunted, and vengeful and bitter brilliantly, and deserves every bit of praise she gets.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Red Mundus posted:

Let me just say this. ME3 is brilliant in showing you the consequences of your actions in the previous games. From being able to forge alliances to meeting up with fan favourites along the way.

The ending pretty much throws all this 'your actions have consequences' spiel out of the window. That is what I am most pissed off about.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Red Mundus posted:

It's like if you were watching a great stage play and the hero makes it to the climax only to have a midget from off stage run out to punch him in the dick right before the curtain drops.

PunkBoy posted:

Well, I never thought the old robot with a soul trope would get to me, but drat did Legion's death make me teary.
Crap I forgot how choked up that and the final scene with Anderson made me.

Darko posted:

I romanced someone else, and I got prompted for that scene somewhere in the last third of the game. Not sure if it happens if you romance Ash.
It came up for me and I romanced her in ME1 but I couldn't romance her by that point in ME3.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

I wonder if the ending is worse than The Matrix: Path of Neo? THAT game had one hell of a lovely ending.

Isn't that the one where you fight a giant agent Smith made up of all the tiny agent Smiths with a giant pair of sunglasses he takes off a billboard? Then all the people in Zion celebrate your success by singing "We Will Rock You"? Yeah the ME3 ending is worse than that because that was amazing and ME3s ending wasn't. Seriously it's like they looked at the famously hated Fallout 3, Borderlands or Fable 2/3 endings and said "we can do this way worse".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Another comparison I heard for the ending was "Original Evangelion ending bad". Just one more reason why I'm milking this game for every hour of playtime it's got. I've been told that the poo poo begins with "a white platform", so I might whip out the vodka when I see that.

MadRhetoric posted:

But if you're not selling Renegade as dumbfuck, then Hale's "I'm too old for this poo poo" almost growl is endearing. Different strokes, I guess.
Heh. My femshep took that rather literally:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

evilalien posted:

Yeah, this exact thing happened to me and I wasted 15 minutes looking for something I already had. How was I supposed to know that you can't finish a quest as soon as you accept it unless you leave the area and come back.

An extra layer of frustration was added to my experience since after I found Dekunna I spent another 15-20 minutes or so pinging the whole system, attracting and getting caught by Reapers and reloading a bunch of times until I finally gave up and said gently caress it to the Elcor. Which annoyed me even more because I wanted to see Elcor with frickin laser cannons strapped to their backs. Spoilered so people with likewise expectations can be just as disappointed as I was!

I only found out I finished that mission because I went back to the Embassy section of the Citadel to finish another one and clicked on that big guy randomly.

poptart_fairy posted:

That quest is miserable as gently caress.

"Did you get many civilians out?"

"Not enough."

Coming from an Elcor, the way it's phrased is just :smith:

We need an Elcor version of :smith:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 14, 2012

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

thebardyspoon posted:

Isn't that the one where you fight a giant agent Smith made up of all the tiny agent Smiths with a giant pair of sunglasses he takes off a billboard? Then all the people in Zion celebrate your success by singing "We Will Rock You"? Yeah the ME3 ending is worse than that because that was amazing and ME3s ending wasn't. Seriously it's like they looked at the famously hated Fallout 3, Borderlands or Fable 2/3 endings and said "we can do this way worse".

Didn't Fallout 3 at least give you a run down on what happened to everybody you met along the way? Or was that only in New Vegas?

Another thing that pisses me off about ME3's ending. Not really spoilers but I'll tag it as such anyway.

If this was ground breaking territory they were treading, I could forgive them for not showing me what happens to the non-existent people I've come to care for. But I've been burned before by games like this, and this was years ago. Bioshock did the same thing, and more recently Deus Ex Revolution. Just giving me three different levers to pull is not the same as giving me a choice on how to conclude a story.

And ME3 did even worse, since the ending movies are all loving the same, except for the magical Citadel burst being a different colour!

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Crap I forgot how choked up that and the final scene with Anderson made me.

You aren't kidding, the scene with Anderson at the end.... "you did good son... you did good, I'm proud of you" right before he passes away had me fighting back tears. And as terrible as the ending was, the first shots with Joker tipping his cap and Anderson got to me as well.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

richardfun posted:

Didn't Fallout 3 at least give you a run down on what happened to everybody you met along the way? Or was that only in New Vegas?

FO3 gives you the same ending each time, changed slightly based on your gender, your choice at the very end, and I think based on your karma. New Vegas is the one that gives a really long detailed rundown on everything, like Fallout 1 and 2 did.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Anderson's final moment with Shepard combined with the music was truly one the most powerful moments in franchise. Which is why the ending that follows just cheapens the entire experience. I feel like that ending is insulting in the same way as mass commercializing the plight of war veterans as a means of making profit or making fun of someone with a prosthetic limb.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Never really warmed to his Shep but he certainly does a terrific stand in job playing Mordin this time round. Hale excelled in both versions for me, managing both tender and haunted, and vengeful and bitter brilliantly, and deserves every bit of praise she gets.

He was Mordin? I didn't even realize they changed the actor.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is there any explanation why the endings are so horrible?

Like, have we heard that this is some kind of set up for Mass Effect 4? Are they just saving the whole post Reaper War story for something else? I just can't comprehend the creative decision behind such a bland ending when like UnknownMercenary just mentioned, Fallout: New Vegas goes through the exhaustive task of telling you how nearly all your decisions panned out for the Mojave Wasteland. It was a bunch of faux projector style still images but that was still a more fulfilling conclusion.

If ME3 was really the last Shepherd installment in the Mass Effect universe the least Bioware could have done was THAT.

I can't say I didn't enjoy the rest of game though, which is strange considering.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Like, have we heard that this is some kind of set up for Mass Effect 4? Are they just saving the whole post Reaper War story for something else? I just can't comprehend the creative decision behind such a bland ending when like UnknownMercenary just mentioned, Fallout: New Vegas goes through the exhaustive task of telling you how nearly all your decisions panned out for the Mojave Wasteland. It was a bunch of faux projector style still images but that was still a more fulfilling conclusion.

If ME3 was really the last Shepherd installment in the Mass Effect universe the least Bioware could have done was THAT.

I can't say I didn't enjoy the rest of game though, which is strange considering.

It's the setup for the new Mass Effect MMO.

"Go kill 10 bears and harvest their pelts so we can improve our shelter".

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

My theory is the decision for the ending was made in a boardroom with the help of accountants, like just about every awful decision that pisses off fans of something.

It's most likely that for continuity purposes they needed a Schrodinger's Cat scenario for future games in the franchise like the MMO. If they go the MMO route, for all intents and purposes the Mass Effect franchise is dead. After seeing how boring, awful and tedious the SwToR MMO was I can't see a Mass Effect MMO being any better unless they man the gently caress up and have the same combat system they had in the trilogy.

I would prefer instead of an MMO that they just continue the Mass Effect franchise Final Fantasy style and just make a whole bunch of games set in the Universe but without the burden of having too much to do with past games. Maybe just enrich the background lore a little based on what you did in past games.

I have a couple predictions based on the current endings:

1. With the relays gone, expect a new form of technology to appear that lets people travel the galaxy without needing a relay. Like Wing Commander style jump points, webway gates, the warp or even portable mass relay tech for starships.
2. A lot of species will go extinct and many of the planets we previously knew as civilized populated planets will be rediscovered by survivors or newly evolved species. You'll be fighting PVP zones or whatever on these planets while scavenging old tech to upgrade yourself.
3. The resulting dark age of isolated pockets of civilization evolving in different zones will probably lead to 2 major factions. Old Galactic civilization letting you play Turians, Asari, Human maybe Krogan versus New Galactic Civilization that evolved in an isolated part of the galaxy.

EDIT: Or more likely the resulting chaos and desperate situation of a ruined mass relay network coupled with ruined planets will cause old rivalries to flare up and split the existing races into two factions. Maybe Krogan, Batarian, Vorcha on one side verus Turian, Asari, Human Salarian on the other. The endings provide convenient excuses for all those things will trimming down the cast by removing things like the Geth.

In addition without the threat of the Reapers you provide a peristent Universe with a lot of the individual character based conflicts the series is famous for. It provides a galaxy crippled by a disaster of apocalyptic proportions and factions fighting it out for the scraps. Following that you can have massive expansion events confirming things shoehorned into the ending of the game like an invasion by a synthetic race (Wrath of the Lich King Style) and the two galactic factions launching their own separate counter attacks with the expansion concluding with a boss raid or something.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 14, 2012

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
So I met up with Zaeed. The scene with him was way too short, I wanted a full side-quest. But it was still good hearing him say "guddamn" again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I disliked Meer's work in ME1 (other than his big stupid jellyfish line) but when I used a maleshep Renegade to balance out me femaleshep Paragon in ME2 I changed my mind. He delivered the Renegade lines really well, with a mixture of coldness, arrogance or bluntness that I found entertaining. I'm looking forward to carrying that character over into ME3 when I'm done with my Paragon run.

Also I loved the way they reused that line in ME3. I knew it had to be coming and I wasn't disappointed.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo. I can't wait to see how bad this is now. That's unreal.
You'd better brace yourself, then.
I think that whoever wrote the ending thought to himself "Arthur C. Clarke? Stanisław Lem? Feh! I can do better than those hacks!". Which wouldn't be that bad if Mass Effect hadn't been a space-opera until the last few minutes. It really comes out of the left field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Davincie posted:

He was Mordin? I didn't even realize they changed the actor.

Michael Beattie got replaced by Warren Salyers for some reason. Also Mordin looks like he has a huge zit on his upper lip the first time you see him and it weirds me out.

• Locked thread