Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Carleton posted:

Is there a way to charge all 4 of my MCX heli 1s batteries with that balance charger? Do I need to buy something for that?

There's a bunch of fan-out cables on eBay but the only one that I see wired to act like an actual balance charger is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160716485845

Carleton posted:

Along the same line - can I use it to charge normal nimh AA batteries? What do i need for that?

Yeah you can charge NiMh batteries with the Thunder AC6 charger. You just need some way to hold onto the battery. I'm not entirely certain how you would do multples (I guess pick NiMh and then say how many cells?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I use one of these to parallel charge 1 cell batteries.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10621__2_Pin_6_x_Pico_Plug_Charging_Set_Eflite_compatible_.html

RedDevil
Jul 29, 2006

SHO NUFF
I'm a noob and recently got an Air Hogs Havoc. I can fly it pretty well, but all I really feel like I have control over is the altitude. I have to hold the directional stick all the way over to the right from takeoff to landing so it doesn't spin out of control. I feel like the trim buttons do nothing. Is there a fix for this or is it just because it's a cheap Air Hog? I keep the rotors clean from dust and particles.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Carleton posted:

OK, I guess I need one more thing, a simulator!

I don't REALLY want to spend $116 for something from hobby town, so I was wondering if there is anything that is working with windows 7 and a 3.5mm male male cable.

I see that there are programs that (used to?) work to convert the signal, but now I can't get them running on my computer.

Is there a nice little guide to getting the dx6i working with windows 7 with what I have in the house?

Will something like this: "Just work" as in it will be recognized as a controller and be plug and play?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-simulator-cable-for-futaba-jr-fs-r-c-remotes-4603

If you know anything at all about flying RC and can playing flying related video games, you really don't need a simulator. The AXN Floater is easy enough to just go out and get into it. It's also more fun that way. I admittedly had a fair bit of experience with a simulator many many years ago, but completely new to real RC planes I was doing backflips and rolls within an hour of flying time with the AXN.

Some tips come to mind when I built my AXN:
-Install the control rods backwards. Have the end that attaches with a screw attached to the plastic tab sticking out of the control surface. This is a common mod, and a good one.
-Either glue the wings in place or otherwise secure them. They didn't stay in for poo poo on my plane. Look back a few pages and you'll see how I modded mine
-Don't glue the plastic tabs that attach to the control surfaces, in case you need to remove them later.
-Shove the battery as far into the nose (forward) as possible
-Watch the entirety of the build video on youtube before starting

Sorry for the terrible terminology.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 20, 2012

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

RedDevil posted:

I'm a noob and recently got an Air Hogs Havoc. I can fly it pretty well, but all I really feel like I have control over is the altitude. I have to hold the directional stick all the way over to the right from takeoff to landing so it doesn't spin out of control. I feel like the trim buttons do nothing. Is there a fix for this or is it just because it's a cheap Air Hog? I keep the rotors clean from dust and particles.

Make sure your ailerons are flush with the wing when your controller is in all neutral positions. Trim only very minutely changes the control surfaces, maybe like a quarter of the stick throw at most in my limited experience.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

hayden. posted:

Some tips come to mind when I built my AXN:
-Install the control rods backwards. Have the end that attaches with a screw attached to the plastic tab sticking out of the control surface. This is a common mod, and a good one.
loving genius. I'm stealing your idea for the future. Just wanted to warn you.

hayden. posted:

-Either glue the wings in place or otherwise secure them. They didn't stay in for poo poo on my plane. Look back a few pages and you'll see how I modded mine
Yeah, I used velcro straps to hold mine in place.

hayden. posted:

-Don't glue the plastic tabs that attach to the control surfaces, in case you need to remove them later.
Eh, I've had my control horns come unsnapped in flight before. I'd rather glue them to make sure they don't slip, rather than worry about replaceability later. It's totally a matter of tastes though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

With the control rods backwards you can glue them without any problems, for sure.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Latest project - fixing a burned motor:

I bought one of those Hextronic (hobbyking) 2730-3000Kv "blue wonder" clone motors, tried to spin one up on 3S, and burned it almost immediately. The wire they used was multi strand cheap poo poo wire. Thankfully the nearby Radioshack had magnet wire, so I used that to re-wind the motor into a 2500-2750Kv motor instead.

It's pretty scary at 3S with a 4.75 x 4.75E prop on it

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I just learned the GoPro is releasing a Wifi backpack for it's cameras.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/wi-fi-bacpac-remote-combo/

So, I'm pretty sure this won't be good for FPV though because of latency with wifi video streaming? If they have done something to fix latency (I'm not too familiar with how they could/couldn't) this would be really cool. I'm just guessing here, but with the availability of all sorts of wifi range extending devices, you could probably get a pretty good signal if you tried. Maybe?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

CrazyLittle posted:

Latest project - fixing a burned motor:
A few years ago I rewound the stator for my motorcycle. 18poles with 75 turns each. My fingers REALLY hurt after that.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Nighttime FPV looks so fun :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWyY4mGuvw&feature=related

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
So I've got a Blade MSR helicopter and an e-flite vapor. My Dad has a ParkZone champ. We just picked up an ARF GWS Slow Stick as a step up, and I'd like some recommendations for a radio, transmitter, and servos for it. My hope is that I can get something 2.4ghz that will work with our current planes and helis as well. Any ideas?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
As far as tX, Spektrum Dx6i or dx7. For an rX I'd just go with the cheap orange spektrum compatible rX's you can get for 10$6$.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11965

I guess you'd probably want a micro version for a slow stick:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18827__OrangeRx_R415_Spektrum_DSM2_Compatible_4Ch_Micro_2_4Ghz_Receiver_.html

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Awesome, thanks. Looks like I wasn't too far off, as I was considering that exact receiver. Am I going to deeply regret it if I went with a DX5e transmitter to save money?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

My mom is a slut posted:

Am I going to deeply regret it if I went with a DX5e transmitter to save money?

The big thing you will miss with the DX5 over the 6 is the lack of model memory.

You might not miss the programming options but you will definately like having multiple model memory and being able to use a single transmitter for all of your planes or any future planes you buy.

Get the DX6 as the 5 is only a tiny step up from the ones that come with your other tiny planes.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Added 4" to the wingspan, and i'm making weight. Now I just need to put the battery on, and hook up the control surfaces.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Great FPV video of all dives seriously some balsy flying through gazebos and what not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSE_D6Bbv0k&feature=g-all-f&context=G24926daFAAAAAAAACAA

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Hey thread! I could use your help...

I'm a grad student doing dynamical modeling of human motor control and its development and learning, and I've been thinking about ways to test motor learning theories by implementing them in robots. Quadcopters seem like my best bet. Basically I would like to do something similar to the Flying Machine Arena, except operating on biological principles rather than purely on an understanding of physics. I can't blow a ton of time on this if it won't pay off so I was hoping you all could help me figure out if this is feasible.

The thing is, I'm a dynamics and control theory guy (i.e. I do lots of simulations), I know next to nothing about the hardware I'll need, and I don't have time to delve into the ideal body shape, building a control board, etc. I'd like to go real cheap to start out with, and if its successful I'll be able to get funding for something more elaborate. What kind of cost am I looking at for a small quadcopter with short-range RC capability (RC will be operated by a laptop)? How much time should I expend to spend getting it ready to fly before I can start tinkering with the control algorithm? Any recommendations? For sensors I think I would need 2 gyros and 5 distance sensors (sonar/IR - again I have no idea how much these things cost or how heavy they are). A camera would be great too (real basic - I would just be using the optic flow field - but the feed would need to be sent over the RC) but that doesn't need to be in the first build. Obviously I still have a ton of research to do on this - but I want to make sure this isn't a pipe dream before I sink too much time into it.

I do have some resources at my disposal that may be helpful, for example a 50m x 50m motion tracking area (any number of markers). Unfortunately I don't have regular enough access to use this as my primary workspace or I wouldn't need any on-board sensors. There's another motion tracking system no one else uses but I don't think the area's big enough - two of these.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

This seems to be the place to get cheap multicopters these days.

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/butterfly-x250-mini-quadcopter-glass-fiber-frame-arf-set-mwc-flight-controller-assembled.html

Man has the price ever come down in the last year. I bought my KK board right before HK released there version and now you can get one for around $20-30 I paid $125.

The firmware has come a long way for both the control boards and the ESC's.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
goodluckbuy's got a reputation for not shipping your order with everything in the box.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
So I posted this thing a while ago :

It's a super cub LP with a larger wing from an apprentice strapped to it. Was hoping to get a nice slow and stable flyer for AP.

I really haven't had much time to fly it, but when I have, it flies like poo poo. It has horrible roll control, especially w/ power. I sweat every time I get it to leave the ground for more than second.

At first my CG was a little off, but I put it to where it should be for that wing. It seems well balanced, I can't figure out what's going on with it.

Is the wing simply too long for the rest of the dimensions? I'm thinking I should try to extend the stabilizer areas, but figured I'd ask here first before my next flight.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Horrible how? Response too fast or to slow? Does it want to turn too much or not enough?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

With the larger wing and short fuse with a small tail it is probably really short coupled and directionally unstable.

Bigger control surfaces placed further away from the CG will cure that.

If it reacts badly to power check your thrust line. Should be down and to the right.

Edit: high wing pendulum stuff only works if your airplane has a large mass below the CG. Not really an appreciable effect on most models.

If it always wants to roll it is probably trying to swap ends because of a too small rudder.

helno fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 14, 2012

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
It wants to roll, and too much. There doesn't seem to be much of that high wing pendulum stability in the roll department.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ease posted:

Is the wing simply too long for the rest of the dimensions? I'm thinking I should try to extend the stabilizer areas, but figured I'd ask here first before my next flight.
Larger surfaces for stabilizers will help but lengthening the tail might be more beneficial. Sadly you can't just toss a huge wing on a plane without doing some other changes.

Looks like I will be getting back into this stuff, buying a house with some land and lots of open land around it. All the AP gear will be coming down as well as the other various gliders, planes and helicopters.

Since I've been out of it the multirotor setups have taken off. How are these to fly compared to a conventional heli? I'm thinking it might make a nice little AP platform to play around with.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
"Different." They fly "different". That's about all I can say so far. Granted there's a much lower learning curve compared to collective pitch heli's but they still have plenty of quirks on their own due to the homebrew-esque quality of the various projects' progress. In my opinion, nothing under $200 is really easy as plug-and-fly. The closest would be the DJI NAZA flight controller, and it's pretty limited in what it does. The more flexible alternative in MultiWiiCopter has a pretty high price tag for ready-to-go boards, and has a lot of on-ground setup involved in making the board airworthy. (Be prepared to bring a laptop with you to the airfield.)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

They are not to bad to fly but I would spend the money to get an FPV setup.

It is just to easy to lose orientation while flying multicopters.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

helno posted:

They are not to bad to fly but I would spend the money to get an FPV setup.

It is just to easy to lose orientation while flying multicopters.

I'm going to setup FPV on one of the sail planes so at some point maybe I'll pick one up and transfer the gear over.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I have been looking for a small, indoor helicopter to play around with/tinker with. Could someone point me in the direction of a non-lovely one?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

App13 posted:

I have been looking for a small, indoor helicopter to play around with/tinker with. Could someone point me in the direction of a non-lovely one?

Here's the one I got. It's a 4 channel helicopter so that means it can fly forwards/backwards, left/right, rotate left/right, and throttle up/down.
http://www.xheli.com/27h-9958-miniheli-red.html

3 channel helicopters are easier to fly but less exciting. They lack the left/right ability, so you have to turn into whatever direction you want to fly first.
http://www.xheli.com/56h-s107-miniheli-red.html

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

App13 posted:

I just got this one a few days back for the exact same reasons, and it's awesome. It's not one of the fancier models that can 'strafe' sideways, but it's fun as a first heli. It can also take a beating; I've crashed this from several feet up a bunch of times now and it keeps on going!

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-S107G-Helicopter-Colors/dp/8499000606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332003229&sr=8-1

I tried to replace the battery with a much bigger one, but it was too much weight to lift off with. It seems the maximum extra weight it can lift comfortably is 10, maybe 15g. Finding a more appropriate sized battery is my next goal with this little guy.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

CrazyLittle posted:

Here's the one I got. It's a 4 channel helicopter so that means it can fly forwards/backwards, left/right, rotate left/right, and throttle up/down.
http://www.xheli.com/27h-9958-miniheli-red.html

3 channel helicopters are easier to fly but less exciting. They lack the left/right ability, so you have to turn into whatever direction you want to fly first.
http://www.xheli.com/56h-s107-miniheli-red.html

How much harder is it to fly a 4 channel vs a 3 channel? Keep in mind I am brand new to remotely controlling anything that isn't sexual in nature.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Both helicopters will hover easily. The Syma S107 should be 99% simple. The 9958 may require a bit of setup to reduce any drifting that it has out of the box. Once you reduce/eliminate the drift then you can fly the 9958 as if it were a 3-channel, but realistically you'll probably end up crashing it a lot because it can pick up a lot of speed. :)

Though I do need to add that I've crashed my 9958 a ton and it still flies just fine.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 17, 2012

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I added about 1" to the rudder and elevator on my cub. Set the rudder to 50% in my dr Holy poo poo. Flies exactly how I wanted it to now, where to as before it was impossible to keep it stable. I can actually fly it slow and cruise around and it just floats along nice and steady. Have flaperons configured, and it basically lands itself with them down.

1" added to the rear controls makes a huge difference. Thanks guys.

Wing detached on me though, and I snapped the fuse. Rubber band snapped. Need to figure out a new way to mount the big wing more securely, or just rubber band the poo poo out of it.

Gorilla gluing it now, hoping to get out again around sunset and give it another go.

ease fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 17, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ease posted:

Wing detached on me though, and I snapped the fuse. Rubber band snapped. Need to figure out a new way to mount the big wing more securely, or just rubber band the poo poo out of it.

Might be an overkill but I always used 4 or more rubber bands. Two crossing on top to make an X and two going front to back per side. Never had a wing come off but I did occasionally have a rubber band snap. Also don't expect them to last a long time, especially on a gas/nitro model.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I picked up an antenna tracker and now my 5.8ghz video performance is absolutely amazing. I'm using an 8-turn helical that a very nice man in Germany mailed to me for Christmas.

It's the Skylark AAT for use with the Trace OSD. They had a group buy on FPVlab.com so I got it $100 off with free shipping! Nice!

Anyway here's a video of the tracker in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XnrKlUS8Hs

And it results in crisp circularly polarized video in any direction I want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-rTC-ZZPv4

I also bought this:

Trex 250 with align motor/esc and upgraded metal digital servos. Only been hovered. Eventually will go FBL. Does anyone have any experience with the either of these from HK?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19951__Hobbyking_EBAR_3_Axis_Flybarless_System.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20996__Hobbyking_ZYX_3_Axis_Flybarless_System_.html

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

250 are bottomless pit of money, is it your first CP? I'd go minimum 450 sized. 250 are so incredibly hard to control and not only that, they are hard to get balanced just right too.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Yeah that's what I've read everywhere and I should probably listen. I came across this locally and the price was too good to pass up. I've also got a couple really experienced local heli guys who can help me set it up and get it going. If I can't fly it I'll sell it off.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
If you have people to help you out then you should be fine. 250s are harder to fly but if you have experience with other collective pitch helicopters you'll be fine. The main thing is to not fly it too far away, when I had my 250 I found it would get small quickly when doing circuits and other maneuvers that require more airspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I got the 250 exclusively as an FPV platform so I'm not planning on doing much more than circuit flying. Definitely won't be doing any 3D. Oh yeah this is my first CP so I'll be getting in lots of time on the sim and maybe buddy-box.