Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liebfraumilch posted:

What is the easiest way to find if a book has been translated into any other languages--preferably with a list of those languages?

For example, I want to find (unlikely, I know) if Calvin Luther Martin's work The Way of the Human Being has been translated into Turkish,
Googling '"The Way of the Human Being" turkish' yielded this: http://www.aweo.org/Martin.html, which mentions this:

Author, The Way of the Human Being (Yale 1999). Winner of the Westchester County Library System's Anne Izard Storyteller's Choice Award 2000. See Calvin Luther Martin, Insanin Yolu, Turkish trans. by Ayse Sirin Okyayuz Yener (Phoenix 2002).

Googling 'Ayse Sirin Okyayuz Yener (Phoenix 2002)' leads to this:

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Way_of_the_Human_Being.html?id=QHSuzceeHWYC

Which points to this apparent source for the Turkish translation available for £12.50:

http://www.ikiayayincilik.com.tr/root/a/pdet.asp?rsi=ztiva

But perhaps more importantly this:

Product Details
Barcode: 9789756565155
ISBN: 975656515-2
Size: 11.5 cm x 18.8 cm

The ISBN also leads to this http://www.yenisayfa.com/Kitap/img-...7d742be346a4821

...which seems to have the book cheaper (£9.37), but the ISBN might be enough to order it from your local bookseller or something. I know nothing of either of those sellers other than that they seem to have the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

randyest posted:

Googling '"The Way of the Human Being" turkish' yielded this: http://www.aweo.org/Martin.html, which mentions this:

Author, The Way of the Human Being (Yale 1999). Winner of the Westchester County Library System's Anne Izard Storyteller's Choice Award 2000. See Calvin Luther Martin, Insanin Yolu, Turkish trans. by Ayse Sirin Okyayuz Yener (Phoenix 2002).

Googling 'Ayse Sirin Okyayuz Yener (Phoenix 2002)' leads to this:

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Way_of_the_Human_Being.html?id=QHSuzceeHWYC

Which points to this apparent source for the Turkish translation available for £12.50:

http://www.ikiayayincilik.com.tr/root/a/pdet.asp?rsi=ztiva

But perhaps more importantly this:

Product Details
Barcode: 9789756565155
ISBN: 975656515-2
Size: 11.5 cm x 18.8 cm

The ISBN also leads to this http://www.yenisayfa.com/Kitap/img-...7d742be346a4821

...which seems to have the book cheaper (£9.37), but the ISBN might be enough to order it from your local bookseller or something. I know nothing of either of those sellers other than that they seem to have the book.

Awesome! Next step: money.

I guess I was getting too annoyed to plod onward. Thanks a lot.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Why did a dozen or so moderators change their username so that "butt" is in there somewhere, all at the same time?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

2508084 posted:

I have a question about cable modems. I'm going to sign up for comcast this week and it'd be faster/cheaper to order a modem off of amazon since Comcast doesn't allow modem pick up anymore. Its been years since I've had cable internet (previously DSL), so when I looked at their approved modems list.. I got a little lost. Heres a part of what I'm looking at, for reference.

I don't know what I really need. Theres about a dozen or two other options, I'm really hoping something like this modem would do, but it only has a check mark under the "Pic" table, but it does have 3 cert stars, which means nothing to me because I have no idea what any of that means.

e: and I just noticed some are called cable modems and some are called telephony modems. I do not understand :(

Whatever you buy, keep the receipt taped to the bottom of the thing. Comcast has a habit of giving hell to people with their own modems. This isn't in terms of technical issues, but billing ones. First, they'll charge you the modem rental fee even though you are using your own modem. This will spontaneously reappear on your bill once in a blue moon.

Furthermore, if you ever cancel Comcast, they'll try to hit you with a bill for "unreturned hardware."

Every time you call billing to fix one of these problems, without fail, the person helping you will ask, in the smarmiest "gotcha" voice they can possibly muster, "Well then how are you connecting to our high speed internet."

Anyway, it's not necessarily a bad thing because when they make such mistakes and finally figure it out, they'll sheepishly give you $20 off of your bill as a sort of apology for wasting your time and then insinuating that you were trying to scam them. If they don't offer the $20 (or free HBO or whatever), gently complain and it'll happen. It's fair compensation for the headache.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mak0rz posted:

Why did a dozen or so moderators change their username so that "butt" is in there somewhere, all at the same time?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2472443&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=203#post401239524

It started in that thread, with mocking Het. Ozma got a little carried away.

My Question

I'm having networking issues. My router (Linksys WRT400N running DD-WRT, most recent firmware as far as I can tell) disconnects. The thing is, only the wireless shuts down, the wired internet (which I only use for my Xbox) works fine. I want to figure out what, precisely, the gently caress. So the question is:

A) Can anyone here help me,
B) If not, is there a Networking thread that can, or;
C) Do I need to post a thread in the Haus? It seems more about hardware issues than networking ones.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Where can I buy a replica of the top from Inception? The ones I've found either don't look good, or have the word INCEPTION printed on it, or are too small.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liebfraumilch posted:

Awesome! Next step: money.
I guess I was getting too annoyed to plod onward. Thanks a lot.
No problem; I noted you asked how to do that in general and since I don't know of such a database of translations (unfortunately) I tried to show the method I used to do the search. But mostly I did it because I like your username (only decent white wine), that book, and Turkish things in general. I hope you can come up with the :10bux:; it sounds like a nice idea for a gift. Depending on where you live used books stores may also be an option, albeit a long shot for sure.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

randyest posted:

No problem; I noted you asked how to do that in general and since I don't know of such a database of translations (unfortunately) I tried to show the method I used to do the search. But mostly I did it because I like your username (only decent white wine), that book, and Turkish things in general. I hope you can come up with the :10bux:; it sounds like a nice idea for a gift. Depending on where you live used books stores may also be an option, albeit a long shot for sure.

So I was like the perfect storm--I can live with that. (thanks again!) I really didn't expect to see that book translated into Turkish, so skepticism was dragging at my heels the whole time. I've recently moved near the University in Philadelphia, which may or may not prove handy. I have until March 30th to find out, though!

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Small Question Thread- Is it okay//appropriate to tip my Fedex guy ((I'm in the USA)) if I leave special instructions for a package? I have an electronic device coming in the mail tomorrow but it's set to rain; I work graveyard, so I may not be up to get it if it comes early. I was going to leave a note with my signature//the order number and ask if they could place it in a plastic tub on the porch so it wouldn't get soaked.

Would it just be polite to tip him for asking that he do extra? I wanna be nice to him! I usually just leave them hand baked cookies. :3: I've gotten a few thank you notes for that. I don't bake specifically FOR my mailpeople- I just bake way too much! They get a lot of freebies.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 14, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Tipping would be weird, I think, and you'd risk someone else taking the money. Fedex and other delivery people on Reddit always say that baked treats, etc. are appreciated, though.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What exactly is the difference between jealously and envy? Is one used for abstract qualities and one for physical objects? Or is it more of you like what they possess and either just leave it at that (envy) or want it for yourself (jealous)?

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

tarepanda posted:

Tipping would be weird, I think, and you'd risk someone else taking the money. Fedex and other delivery people on Reddit always say that baked treats, etc. are appreciated, though.

They do? Wow! I always just make way too many cookies//cakes. My favorite cook book was printed in 1950...and apparently, it was normal for recipes to yield about 9 trillion cookies for the busy hostess with the...mostest. :gonk: So i hand out treats to neighbors and friends and mailpeople and confused strangers at bus-stops because I ALWAYS forget to half//quarter//scale down the recipe. My Dyscalculia makes resizing things a pain in the rear end anyway.

I thought tipping was weird too, though. Hopefully he//she'll understand that I don't want my stuff rained on.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What exactly is the difference between jealously and envy? Is one used for abstract qualities and one for physical objects? Or is it more of you like what they possess and either just leave it at that (envy) or want it for yourself (jealous)?
Technically jealousy is when you're afraid something you have will be lost to someone else - i.e, a jealous lover. It's a defensive emotion.

and envy is what we usually think of, when you resent that someone has something you don't.

So when we use "jealous", 9 times out of of 10 we mean "envious" really.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there a thread about the ins and outs of owning a kitten?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Nighthand posted:

My Question

I'm having networking issues. My router (Linksys WRT400N running DD-WRT, most recent firmware as far as I can tell) disconnects. The thing is, only the wireless shuts down, the wired internet (which I only use for my Xbox) works fine. I want to figure out what, precisely, the gently caress. So the question is:

A) Can anyone here help me,
B) If not, is there a Networking thread that can, or;
C) Do I need to post a thread in the Haus? It seems more about hardware issues than networking ones.

SHSC has a networking megathread here.

It's too tough to diagnose in this forum, people will be far more helpful there. The only thing I could offer is that I had the same router and same problem, and it turned out it was shutting down because of too many simultaneous connections from torrenting (linux builds, of course). Rather than increasing the allowed connections on the router settings I decreased the max connections in the program.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

tarepanda posted:

Is there a thread about the ins and outs of owning a kitten?

poo poo man, if you can tell which part of your kitten is the inside and which is the outside, you might just stop right there with this whole ownership experiment of yours.

Thread

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have been on Facebook for many years (although I don't use it much) and I still can't figure out how to manage photos. I have never had this problem with any other site. Am I just completely stupid or is facebook confusing as hell?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

NESguerilla posted:

I have been on Facebook for many years (although I don't use it much) and I still can't figure out how to manage photos. I have never had this problem with any other site. Am I just completely stupid or is facebook confusing as hell?

What do you mean by manage? What are you trying to do?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

NESguerilla posted:

Am I just completely stupid or is facebook confusing as hell?

It's not just you: I find it completely unintuitive and very badly designed.

I've given up trying to find a button that simply gives me a list of all my friends. There might be one, somewhere, but I got bored of searching.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Install Gentoo posted:

Those telephony modems are ACTUALLY for when you have Comcast Voice service. They provide internet out of the ethernet port, and your dial tone out of the telephone line ports, and they come with internal battery packs so you can still place calls for up to about 2 hours after the power fails, or keep your internet connection up for like 30 minutes after a power failure.

I didn't see your edit till just now. To be sure, a telephony modem would work just fine? Because the one I linked is 25$ as opposed to the cable modems which are ~$40. Id call comcast, but I don't know that they'd tell me the truth since theyre trying to tell me I have to pay for a professional install of the modem that I said I already own. :wtc:

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

spog posted:

It's not just you: I find it completely unintuitive and very badly designed.

I've given up trying to find a button that simply gives me a list of all my friends. There might be one, somewhere, but I got bored of searching.

Go to your own profile, click Friends.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

RaoulDuke12 posted:

SHSC has a networking megathread here.

It's too tough to diagnose in this forum, people will be far more helpful there. The only thing I could offer is that I had the same router and same problem, and it turned out it was shutting down because of too many simultaneous connections from torrenting (linux builds, of course). Rather than increasing the allowed connections on the router settings I decreased the max connections in the program.

Thanks, I tossed a post up there.

Too many connections is what my googling seems to tell me as well, but I don't have torrents going or p2p anything that would cause it. Just two laptops, the occasional tablet, and a wireless printer. And the xbox, but it's wired. That and it seems to happen regardless of what combination of devices are connected.

Anyways. I'm not sure why I missed that networking thread -- I've even read it before, and took advice from it for buying this router.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Why can I never get 'legit' receipts from taxis in the USA? I normally pay cash and when I ask for a receipt they give me a blank receipt and expect me to write everything on it myself. If I'm lucky they scribble something on the back of their business card. I've been asked to get printed taxi receipts in the future for expensing my travel. When I said I had never managed to get a printed receipt before I was told that they're always available.

Is it because I pay cash? If I ever ask taxi drivers 'do you accept card' they normally reply 'do you have cash?' if I do say yes (never had a reason not to until now) they give me this bullshit handwritten receipt. Is it because they're able to not give their cut to the taxi company or something if I pay them cash?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

2508084 posted:

I didn't see your edit till just now. To be sure, a telephony modem would work just fine? Because the one I linked is 25$ as opposed to the cable modems which are ~$40. Id call comcast, but I don't know that they'd tell me the truth since theyre trying to tell me I have to pay for a professional install of the modem that I said I already own. :wtc:

Yes, the telephony modems should work just fine.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I tried tineye but I guess that robot has no fashion sense, can anyone identify this purse for me?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

redreader posted:

Why can I never get 'legit' receipts from taxis in the USA? I normally pay cash and when I ask for a receipt they give me a blank receipt and expect me to write everything on it myself. If I'm lucky they scribble something on the back of their business card. I've been asked to get printed taxi receipts in the future for expensing my travel. When I said I had never managed to get a printed receipt before I was told that they're always available.

Is it because I pay cash? If I ever ask taxi drivers 'do you accept card' they normally reply 'do you have cash?' if I do say yes (never had a reason not to until now) they give me this bullshit handwritten receipt. Is it because they're able to not give their cut to the taxi company or something if I pay them cash?

Taxis usually pay a flat rate to the cab company for their cab for the day (many years ago it was $50 though I'm sure that's gone up), that's all they pay to them. They want cash so they don't have to report it on taxes, or so they don't have to wait for the money to come in from the credit card, as it generally comes in the form of a check.

If there's a meter in the taxi, it will print out a receipt. I don't understand why they're so hesitant to print out an actual receipt. Personally I like the blank ones because I work for myself and blank taxi receipts are gold as far as taxes are concerned.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

Is it because I pay cash? If I ever ask taxi drivers 'do you accept card' they normally reply 'do you have cash?'

If you're traveling for business don't use cash if you have an option. If you're traveling often enough for this to be an issue, maybe you could ask for a company credit card? Also look into limo/livery services, especially if it's something you can schedule in advance. Cab fare from my house to the airport is about $75, but the limo company only charges me $65 (and they actually lowered my fare since I use them so much). A cheaper ride in a nicer car is tough to say no to. They even email me a receipt, and I have it on my phone before I even get out if the car.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
This is a pie-in-the-sky kind of question for me, but does anybody have an idea of how much it would cost to travel from Cinci to NYC, stay one night there in a decent place, and then travel back the very next day? It'd have to be plane. Also, it'd be in the next two weeks I'd go.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

JDanielS posted:

This is a pie-in-the-sky kind of question for me, but does anybody have an idea of how much it would cost to travel from Cinci to NYC, stay one night there in a decent place, and then travel back the very next day? It'd have to be plane. Also, it'd be in the next two weeks I'd go.

Threw in CVG<->LGA on Travelocity for randomly chosen Mar 21-Mar 22 and got $494 for the airfare. My only recommendation for a hotel in New York (only place I've ever stayed there)is the La Quinta Manhattan, which, despite being a La Quinta, is pretty great, awesome location (heart of Koreatown), and on that date is $180/night.

So, for what you ask, $700 is the absolute max you'd need to pay for transport and lodging. You could probably find a cheaper flight, and there's a large selection of hotels.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

JDanielS posted:

Any time in the next 2 weeks? I bet there would be one night you could get a ticket for $250 and a hotel for $100 but I think in general it's going to be more like $400 + $200 at such short notice.

Can you get to Columbus? I think it's a bigger (cheaper) airport.

http://www.expedia.com is about as good as any other site for booking a flight + a hotel. You could probably figure out how to use it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is there a goon-approved website for designing and sending out surveys?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Very Strange Things posted:

Any time in the next 2 weeks? I bet there would be one night you could get a ticket for $250 and a hotel for $100 but I think in general it's going to be more like $400 + $200 at such short notice.

Can you get to Columbus? I think it's a bigger (cheaper) airport.

http://www.expedia.com is about as good as any other site for booking a flight + a hotel. You could probably figure out how to use it.

I threw in 'surrounding airports' for the dates I tried and found as low as $365 for IND<->EWR. Southwest has slightly cheaper for IND<->LGA. If he can get to Columbus, Indianapolis is closer and more major.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Golbez posted:

I threw in 'surrounding airports' for the dates I tried and found as low as $365 for IND<->EWR. Southwest has slightly cheaper for IND<->LGA. If he can get to Columbus, Indianapolis is closer and more major.

Thanks for the quotes. Now if I can convince myself to part with the money.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is there a goon-approved website for designing and sending out surveys?

We have a work account at https://www.surveymonkey.com which seems to function well.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

JDanielS posted:

Is she hot?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is it actually possible to beat super mario world 2 in less than 10 minutes without using tools or anything?

Cornshaq :argh:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Can anyone suggest a good small free piece of software that I can use to keep track of order/addresses of people who buy stuff? And if anyone knew very simple inventory management software built into something like that it'd be awesome.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Can anyone suggest a good small free piece of software that I can use to keep track of order/addresses of people who buy stuff? And if anyone knew very simple inventory management software built into something like that it'd be awesome.

Evernote maybe?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
What can I do about a hundred+ midges invading my home every evening? They are gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

redreader posted:

In addition to what others have said the laws vary wildly from state to state and city to city in the US from "strictly" controlled services like in NYC to pretty much Laissez-faire in many-most others.

The "blank receipt" is supposed to be a "nice" thing because of taxes and expense reports. It also has a benefit for the driver.

I had kind of the same problem and I said car services are the only ones who accept credit cards and give receipts. The company said "well just use them dummy" the changed their mind after one trip costing 10X the "write your own" taxi.