Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
My Sprint 2 Flux ate another rear drive belt, you can really tell they just took a car designed for lower power and dropped a more powerful motor in it. I had a look at it close up and it looks like the rear belt rubs against the motor so I am gonna see about bodging in a tensioner to keep the belt tighter and up off the motor.

Edit:

Laserface posted:

its HPI, in my experience all their models have one component that is considered a consumable.

Wouldn't mind having to replace the belt now and again if it didn't involve tearing entire rear half of the car down. Well, it doesn't need to be tore all the way down, but pretty close.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ElBrak posted:

My Sprint 2 Flux ate another rear drive belt, you can really tell they just took a car designed for lower power and dropped a more powerful motor in it. I had a look at it close up and it looks like the rear belt rubs against the motor so I am gonna see about bodging in a tensioner to keep the belt tighter and up off the motor.

its HPI, in my experience all their models have one component that is considered a consumable.

EDIT: visited my local onroad club last night, and they have an emerging VTA class! im going to get on that poo poo rocking a 'Cuda body :). its a pretty relaxed class (21.5T brushless/silver can, HPI vintage rims and tires only, body must be 1979 or earlier) so will be good to wet my feet with before I figure out what I want to do (probably just stock class or maybe F1 as that looks fun)

so whats a cheapish chassis with belt drive that I can sink my teeth into?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 6, 2012

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I just barely started running the VTA class at my local track. Picked up a Sakura Zero S for like a hundred bucks. Really cheap and so far very competitive.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I wish there was someone running VTA farther south, because I'd LOVE to get into it. The one on-road track around here just does circle-track type stuff.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
It's a fun class, but I have a few problems with it. First you can only run the hpi vintage tires. Which can be difficult to get at times. Especially when a big race is near. And second, if your track requires the 25.5 motor then you stuck with one option... Novak. And they have the slowest customer service in the world. I posted a few weeks ago about having to contact them about a sensor board. I just got the new part today and it's been well over a month.

As soon as I need to replace the tires on this thing I'm jumping to the USGT class instead. Still limited, but a bit more open as far as tires and motors.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I kinda wish that 2wd was still an option as it was in the 90's. VTA is kinda weird being 4wd. And I'd like to see a resurgence of the FWD/RWD split. Especially since it seemed to breed crazy cars like the TA03.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I bought a FWD car. and then I never raced it. it's sitting in a box right now. That's very sad.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Hell I kinda wish that I could find a RC10DS conversion sitting around somewhere. My GT won't get much love but I could still have fun trying to keep that silly thing under control in a parking lot.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There's a couple of high spec FWD cars out right now, Serpent just released one and there's another from a brand I can't remember ATM. There's also a high spec mini-size FWD car that a few clubs are racing in the UK - but in this case it's a matter of all-plastic Tamiya Mini vs £200+ graphite car - not so much fun for the schoolkid just wanting a race. I'd love to take a Sprint and hack it to bits to make a FWD car, it should be 'easy' to cut the rear end off a car and bolt it to the front end, but I haven't tried it yet.

Question: does anyone know of any cheap alternatives to a Losi 1/24th SCT battery pack? The OEM one is kinda expensive but I can't find any clone versions of it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
yeah, I use off the shelf 220mah two cell lipos. I just change the connector on the car.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Something like this then? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-7v-220m...#ht_3251wt_1171

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
Just got a Tamiya M05 Pro for my birthday, so gonna get one of those hpi datsun 510 bodies.

I also picked up one of those Losi Ten SCTE rollers for my own birthday gift, this makes it my 6th RC car since December.

I think I have a problem.....:blush:

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 7, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

My painter got the Comanche body done. It's primered and painted on the outside, with a coat of rust underneath the shell. He also distressed it in certain places with a soldering iron. This looks amazing. I can't wait to get it on my truck!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
That looks freakin outstanding

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I like the front signal hanging off ;) but really, that is probably the best rust/dent detail I've ever seen. You have to get it mounted ASAP :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I hope you have a carrying case with little scale cinder blocks to hold it up. :3:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, the little details on that are amazing! The mismatched door, the cooked jeep logo, the dirty windshield with wiper streaks, amazing!

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
that's just awesome! hurry up and put it on your truck!:banjo:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Wow, the little details on that are amazing! The mismatched door, the cooked jeep logo, the dirty windshield with wiper streaks, amazing!

The little light in the front is crooked too!

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Was recently told by a guy a work about a big 3 track setup at 'Fear Farm' in the west valley in Phoenix (where they set up a haunted house) so I went out last night and they had some racing in the dark. Just getting into photography myself, so I wanted to try it out. Quickly found that shooting at night with these things is just not a great recipe for success! If I'd used my flash they may have turned out better, but where I was aiming I would likely have blinded the participants multiple times. Highlight of the night was one of the trucks misaligned on that jump when I was standing 10 yards further down the track leaning over a hay bale and not noticing until the last second that it was coming right at me in the air, landing only about 1 foot in front of me into the hay bale. Pretty fun!

Full gallery here of all the ones that weren't too completely useless to upload
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjywKDjb

A few that turned out okay!

DSC_0646 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_0982 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_0731 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_0728 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_0738 by dkwildz, on Flickr

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Action shots are tough enough without having to figure out the lighting :) Those came out really good - now try indoor ;)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Guy is selling a X-ray T2 chassis with extras - how is this for an entry level on road car for starting up racing? He wants $140aud. Will be running 21.5 turn brushless (stock class).

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Went out again today and took some shots in the daylight. Overall I think they turned out much better (surprise haha)! Even got to see some 1/5 scale guys tearing around the track (and smashing eachother to pieces)

Full set!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9748339@N05/sets/72157629193182908/

DSC_1722 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_1772 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_1778-2 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_2215 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_2221 by dkwildz, on Flickr

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

DKWildz posted:

DSC_2215 by dkwildz, on Flickr

I know nothing about RC but this angle is money, looks like a real truck! I shoot surfing and I find the #1 key to getting an interesting shot is to get low with as much of an angle as I can, looks like this applies to shooting RC too! :)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Thank you for all the kind words on the Jeep body. I received the body last night and it's jaw dropping in person. There are actually tiny jagged holes in the body that look like you'd get a tetanus shot just by touching them.

I got it mounted yesterday, but my cell phone pics are awful. A co-worker is going to drive his 1:1 Comanche into work tomorrow, and we are going to shoot my truck on top of the real one. I'll post pics tomorrow!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Here are some pics w/ the body mounted. Couldn't possibly be happier.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That thing looks way awesome.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I keep expecting my cousin Dave to get out of it.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
I just recently bought a 5100 mah 7 cell nimh battery for my stampede vxl. It replaced the dead rear end cell the truck came with the in the rtr package.

My cheap rear end charger will do 1 and 1/2 hours on 2 amps AC and about the same on 3-4 amps DC.

I feel it should charge way faster on DC. Is this my cheap rear end charger or am I doing something wrong?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Nathan Explosion posted:

I just recently bought a 5100 mah 7 cell nimh battery for my stampede vxl. It replaced the dead rear end cell the truck came with the in the rtr package.

My cheap rear end charger will do 1 and 1/2 hours on 2 amps AC and about the same on 3-4 amps DC.

I feel it should charge way faster on DC. Is this my cheap rear end charger or am I doing something wrong?
your charger probably just has a safety timer (most do between 60-90 minutes) where they turn off automatically so they don't cause explosions/battery fires. If your battery was fully dead, on a 4A charge rate it should take approximately 1.275 hours to charge. Make sure you let the battery fully cool to ambient temperature before charging after running it in your truck. A peaked battery should be slightly warm to the touch. When you're using your charger on AC, you'll probably have to 'charge' the battery twice. Just unplug it, and hit it again until the charger shuts off, or the battery is warm, etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Make the investment in Lipos. Seriously, the VXL really wakes up with that much punch behind it, and charging is a much more precise process with less guessing

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
all the parts installed and the body painted.

Recently found some new friends and a 1/8th track, so now I want to get as much as i can out of it. Thinking of getting a low center gravity chassis. :)

now its just taking the time to collect parts for my new Losi. I hear those Tekin pro4 4600kv motors are a good idea to start with.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Manny posted:

I haven't had a go on one myself but they look quite fun. This thread has some more info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312125

I think they're very similar/the same as the Silverlit V-Jet which may give you more review/purchasing options. All the Silverlit stuff I've tried so far has been pretty good, although they are built to a price-point.

I'm getting frustrated by the short battery life, and the lack of removable battery.
Are there cheap planes made of foam where you can swap the batteries ? Is there anything out there that can also tolerate a small breeze ?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

HoWSeR posted:

now its just taking the time to collect parts for my new Losi. I hear those Tekin pro4 4600kv motors are a good idea to start with.

I've got a Tekin SC4X 6.5t that I'd let go for $80 shipped http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1466_1331/products_id/197692/n/Tekin-Redline-SC4X-Sensored-Brushless-550-Motor-65T

Only got about an hour of runtime on it at most.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
thanks for the offer, I kinda have my heart set on a pro4 though, love me some 4 pole action. :gay:

just got my LCG chassis for my slash installed today.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Haven't tried this, but if you're running out of spares for a car you can't get replacements for, anything's worth a shot: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Duplicate-Prototype-Your-Own-RC-Car-Parts/

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just picked up a AE TC5R and a bunch of spares for $160. now I just need some HPI rims and tires, a bitchin Cuda body and some electronics and I will be tearing up VTA in no time.

I am pretty excited over getting to race toy cars.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So I've suddenly come into a shitload of RC stuff but am absolutely clueless about this all. I'm really wanting a Subaru Impreza rally car one. So is this one worth a poo poo? I have no problem tinkering with it or replacing parts as needed.

http://www.ehobbies.com/tam58417.html

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Screen cap from last night's races. Been awhile since I've driven 1/8th and it's a freakin riot.

needknees fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Well looks like I might of killed my Sprint 2 Flux, motor won't turn though the servo works fine. So it has to be a speed control problem or a problem with the motor.