Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

did shepard beat the alien robot monsters?

kinda

quote:

cause that's all I give a gently caress about. I beat mass effect 1 and 2 so I don't care how it ends as long as shepard beats the big alien shrimp monsters in a cool way with explosions etc

in that case, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm going to wait till it's on sale to finish the series either way

me2

i mean

i am doing this as well

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

kinda

in that case, no.

wow lame

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

wow lame

like, theres an explosion but its a pretty bland one and it comes about an hour after some actually cool explosions and its so loving bland and stupid that you forget about the earlier explosions

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

remember when anakin blew up the trade federation ship at the end of Phantom Menace? no? nobody does because it was really loving boring and didnt mean anything?

yeah its like that but with more philosophical meandering beforehand that goes against everything that happened in the series before then

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

remember when anakin blew up the trade federation ship at the end of Phantom Menace? no? nobody does because it was really loving boring and didnt mean anything?

yeah its like that but with more philosophical meandering beforehand that goes against everything that happened in the series before then

I :filez: mass effect 2 to see if it was good and there was no moon buggy. why did people think it was going to be good after there was no moon buggy

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I :filez: mass effect 2 to see if it was good and there was no moon buggy. why did people think it was going to be good after there was no moon buggy

there is for a couple missions but its not really a buggy but a hovercraft.

they should have just fixed the moon buggy controls

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
the wife and i are both reading the commonwealth saga now and it's p good. the only gripe is that hamilton occasionally just decides to spend fifteen goddamn pages on some horrendously uninteresting background/setting stuff that impacts the story not at all

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
from what i heard about the me3 ending it soudns like they just ripped off deus ex with the 'three choices' thing

*never played mass effect*

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

from what i heard about the me3 ending it soudns like they just ripped off deus ex with the 'three choices' thing

*never played mass effect*

nah, there was actually somehow more choice in deus ex's ending. literally all that changes in the mass effect ending is the colour of some explosions and some pointless dialogue at the end of one of them

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
mass effect spoilers look out!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBOKWCpwGfM

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

mass effect spoilers look out!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBOKWCpwGfM

the game would have been a billion times better if this was what the buggy sections in the first game were like

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NINbuntu 64 posted:

god this pissed me off so loving much when i saw it in the theater

i mean they had a loving annoying little shithead kid accidentally destroy something presented as being a huge oppressive unstoppable thing

and this little loving kid just climbs into a little yellow ship thing, mashes a couple buttons and somehow manages to blow up a gigantic loving space station are you loving kidding me george lucas you loving hack

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

amf5 posted:

god this pissed me off so loving much when i saw it in the theater

i mean they had a loving annoying little shithead kid accidentally destroy something presented as being a huge oppressive unstoppable thing

and this little loving kid just climbs into a little yellow ship thing, mashes a couple buttons and somehow manages to blow up a gigantic loving space station are you loving kidding me george lucas you loving hack

okay, now imagine that to get to that point you had to pay about $150 and spend about 100 hours or so playing video games

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
someone just explicitly say what the ending is idgaf about spoilers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah i'd probably have an aneurysm

although i never played mass effect anyway since it looks pretty goddamn terrible and is one letter away from being rear end effect

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Amethyst posted:

Shepard is then approached by an artificial intelligence, which identifies itself as the Catalyst and the entity controlling the Reapers. It reveals that the cycle the Reapers enforce is an attempt to prevent organic life from wiping itself out by creating synthetic life, as the creators are always doomed to be destroyed by the created. The Reapers are in fact preserving the advanced organic races by using them to create new Reapers, and leaving space for the more primitive species to evolve. However, the Catalyst points out that since Shepard has managed to come this far, its priorities have now changed. The Catalyst then gives Shepard three choices: Destroy the Reapers and all synthetic life, take control of the Reapers, or initiate synthesis between organic and synthetic life, creating an entirely new life form. However, regardless of Shepard's choice, all three endings result in Shepard's apparent death and the destruction of the entire mass relay network. The Normandy, which is in the middle of a mass relay jump when they are destroyed, is forced to crash land on an alien planet, stranding the crew. They exit the crashed ship and look up to the alien sky. If the player's Effective Military Strength is high enough and the "Destroy" ending is chosen, it will be revealed that Shepard may still be alive.

In a post-credits sequence, a man and a child are seen on an alien planet looking to the sky. The man tells the child how there are billions of stars and planets in the galaxy, and how all of them are populated by countless alien races and cultures. The child then asks the man to tell him another story about "The Shepard".

the shepard

the shepard

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Mass effect: human wars 128 people versus 129 people in a massive online battlefield

really I don't know but the game looks too boring to even finish

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Amethyst posted:

you reenact the Saren event from Mass Effect with The Illusive Man pretty much word for word and you can even make him kill himself just like in Mass Effect. then it turns out the Reaper destroying weapon wont fire and Shepard rides a magical elevator to a section of the Citadel. it turns out the Citadel created the Reapers (synthetic beings) to come along every 50,000 years and kill any civilizations that may create synthetic beings to keep the civilizations from being destroyed by synthetic beings.

yeah

also if you played Mass Effect 2, this makes very little sense since it turns out the Reapers were the ones that started the Geth conflict (the only synthetic beings currently causing problems) and you can actually establish peace with them. to further this, you can establish peace between them and the Quarians. basically you can completely stop the synthetic life form conflicts completely before the ending but the ending goes "lol no" to that and forces you into three choices

choice one is to completely destroy synthetic beings. they all blow up and the mass relays explode. previously it is explained that this happening causes a supernova level explosion that destroys entire solar systems. i guess Bioware forgot? anyway, this ending has red explosions and the normandy crew crash land on a tropical planet and survive

choice two is to merge with the reapers. they all leave earth and the mass relays explode. previously it is explained that this happening causes a supernova level explosion that destroys entire solar systems. i guess Bioware forgot? anyway, this ending has blue explosions and the normandy crew crash land on a tropical planet and survive

choice three is to merge all synthetic life forms together. synthetic and natural life are merged and the mass relays explode. previously it is explained that this happening causes a supernova level explosion that destroys entire solar systems. i guess Bioware forgot? anyway, this ending has redgreen explosions and the normandy crew crash land on a tropical planet and survive

theres another ending where if you really screw up, the earth is destroyed. you have to be monumentally bad at the game for this to happen.

also the choices are presented to you by a holographic child

none of this is ever explained

also shepard dies in all the endings

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

you reenact the Saren event from Mass Effect with The Illusive Man pretty much word for word and you can even make him kill himself just like in Mass Effect. then it turns out the Reaper destroying weapon wont fire and Shepard rides a magical elevator to a section of the Citadel. it turns out the Citadel created the Reapers (synthetic beings) to come along every 50,000 years and kill any civilizations that may create synthetic beings to keep the civilizations from being destroyed by synthetic beings.

yeah

also if you played Mass Effect 2, this makes very little sense since it turns out the Reapers were the ones that started the Geth conflict (the only synthetic beings currently causing problems) and you can actually establish peace with them. to further this, you can establish peace between them and the Quarians. basically you can completely stop the synthetic life form conflicts completely before the ending but the ending goes "lol no" to that and forces you into three choices

choice one is to completely destroy synthetic beings. they all blow up and the mass relays explode. previously it is explained that this happening causes a supernova level explosion that destroys entire solar systems. i guess Bioware forgot? anyway, this ending has red explosions and the normandy crew crash land on a tropical planet and survive

choice two is to merge with the reapers. they all leave earth and the mass relays explode. previously it is explained that this happening causes a supernova level explosion that destroys entire solar systems. i guess Bioware forgot? anyway, this ending has blue explosions and the normandy crew crash land on a tropical planet and survive

choice three is to merge all synthetic life forms together. synthetic and natural life are merged and the mass relays explode. previously it is explained that this happening causes a supernova level explosion that destroys entire solar systems. i guess Bioware forgot? anyway, this ending has redgreen explosions and the normandy crew crash land on a tropical planet and survive

theres another ending where if you really screw up, the earth is destroyed. you have to be monumentally bad at the game for this to happen.

also the choices are presented to you by a holographic child

none of this is ever explained

also shepard dies in all the endings

lol you just used spoilers in yospos

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

lol you guys wern't lying that ending sucks

it's like, exactly the kind of 'profound' ending lovely sci-fi writers come up with all the time. A terrible ripoff of the worst parts of the matrix and ghost in the shell

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Amethyst posted:

lol you guys wern't lying that ending sucks

theres a bunch of poo poo im glossing over but yeah it feels like they couldnt come up with an ending so they just tacked one on at the last minute and shipped it and its a real shame because the game is p good before that point

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trig Discipline posted:

the wife and i are both reading the commonwealth saga now and it's p good. the only gripe is that hamilton occasionally just decides to spend fifteen goddamn pages on some horrendously uninteresting background/setting stuff that impacts the story not at all
i started reading the first book, said "sweet, some decent modern hard sf", and then i turned the page and a character is going on about his special telepathic bond to his organic bio space fighter

welp

seriously, isn't that the setting for those anne mccaferty "pern" novels?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

NINbuntu 64 posted:

theres a bunch of poo poo im glossing over but yeah it feels like they couldnt come up with an ending so they just tacked one on at the last minute and shipped it and its a real shame because the game is p good before that point

there was another ending which one of the (good?) writers (karphyshyn) apparently penned but it got canned

The Reapers' goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy which would eventually consume everything. That's why there was so much foreshadowing about Dark Energy in ME2.

The Reapers as a whole were 'nations' of people who had fused together in the most horrific way possible to help find a way to stop the spread of the Dark Energy. The real reason for the Human Reaper was supposed to be the Reapers saving throw because they had run out of time. Humanity in Mass Effect is supposedly unique because of it's genetic diversity and represented the universe's best chance at stopping Dark Energy's spread.

The original final choice was going to be "Kill the Reapers and put your faith in the races of the galaxy in finding another way to stop the spread with what little time is left" or "Sacrifice humanity, allowing them to be horrifically processed in hopes that the end result will justify the means.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
gently caress all ya'll I'm gunna post this. we get dumbass poo poo like game of thrones, and there's boring poo poo like stargate whatever. why can't HBO or somebody pick this poo poo up and make it live action?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heESAW2addo

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

XausF1 posted:

there was another ending which one of the (good?) writers (karphyshyn) apparently penned but it got canned

The Reapers' goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy which would eventually consume everything. That's why there was so much foreshadowing about Dark Energy in ME2.

The Reapers as a whole were 'nations' of people who had fused together in the most horrific way possible to help find a way to stop the spread of the Dark Energy. The real reason for the Human Reaper was supposed to be the Reapers saving throw because they had run out of time. Humanity in Mass Effect is supposedly unique because of it's genetic diversity and represented the universe's best chance at stopping Dark Energy's spread.

The original final choice was going to be "Kill the Reapers and put your faith in the races of the galaxy in finding another way to stop the spread with what little time is left" or "Sacrifice humanity, allowing them to be horrifically processed in hopes that the end result will justify the means.

yah and it still thematically fits with the whole biologic/synthetic thing they had going on but why do that (which fits in with story elements from the other games and makes sense) when you can make an ending so bad that the fan metacritic score drops to below five over the course of three days

edit: o boy an anime post lets see how this goes

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol you just used spoilers in yospos

loll

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

gently caress all ya'll I'm gunna post this. we get dumbass poo poo like game of thrones, and there's boring poo poo like stargate whatever. why can't HBO or somebody pick this poo poo up and make it live action?

Ban for anime
Mods?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Ban for anime
Mods?

best show about space travel and augmented reality interfaces

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

alright, youre a bit slow and i guess that explains a lot but ill let you in on something

i made this same recommendation many many pages back and it didnt take because, well, its fuckin anime. now, im an absolutely awful loving poster but even i know when to drop something and so i dropped that poo poo after the first post

because its fuckin anime

and this is yospos

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

now say youre sorry and talk about not-anime or something and maybe this can all blow over

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

best show about space travel and augmented reality interfaces

You can't talk about that, even if it would have been good if it wasn't anime.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

LP97S posted:

You can't talk about that, even if it would have been good if it wasn't anime.

okay i'll post pictures of sexy pinball

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

XausF1 posted:

aight if/when i ever play this thing ill just pretend this is the ending

thanks dawg

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Guess she was screwed

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Guess she was screwed

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
http://veevr.com/videos/xkZYdkGqb

poor people get to go to space too