Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

So I'm likely not going to have time to break down the NCAA championships which are March 15-17. If someone else wants to take on that mantle this year that would be great, otherwise I'll try to do something for the beginning of next week.

I was going to, but given the complete silence to the streams I posted to the conference tournaments last weekend I figured there wasn't any interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
its something that in theory i'd be interested but in practice i probably just want to see like a cool highlight video

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thoguh posted:

I was going to, but given the complete silence to the streams I posted to the conference tournaments last weekend I figured there wasn't any interest.

I watched the ones on the Big 10 network, I just didn't post about it. I'm sorry I don't tell you every intimate detail of my life DAD.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
A question from someone who has seen weed exactly once in his life, should I start smoking weed (via vaporizer) to accelerate my development in grappling? (I'm a 3 stripe white belt) tia

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

beadgc posted:

A question from someone who has seen weed exactly once in his life, should I start smoking weed (via vaporizer) to accelerate my development in grappling? (I'm a 3 stripe white belt) tia

Well. Do you have trouble relaxing or "zoning out" and just letting techniques flow when you grapple? If so then it could help you, a little bit, it's illegal though.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I wasn't able to watch the conference tournaments, but I've watched a good chunk of the NCAA tournament each of the last few years and I'd love to have some idea of what's actually going on.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I watched the ones on the Big 10 network, I just didn't post about it. I'm sorry I don't tell you every intimate detail of my life DAD.

I wasn't offended or anything, I just didn't want to spam the board with stuff nobody cared about. I'll just supplement whatever Mardragon posts.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

After you visit, let me know how it went. Doug also has an assistant BJJ instructor Andrew, who is a brown belt under Renzo/Danaher. Andrew is also an excellent grappler. Doug is such a beast on the mats. I see him absolutely tool good grapplers all the time. It's a shame that Doug doesn't compete.

EDIT: also, fatherdog, you have to drop in on John's morning subgrappling class and train with us sometime.

I'd be happy to, but I don't get up to NYC very often. I'll keep it in mind, though.

Also as of last night everything training is put on hold while my rib heals up. Sigh.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I wasn't offended or anything, I just didn't want to spam the board with stuff nobody cared about. I'll just supplement whatever Mardragon posts.

I for one watch them when I can find them on TV; having some context for them would be much appreciated since I don't have the spare time to follow wrestling the way I do mma and submission grappling

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Wrestling is hard for me to follow. I understand the gist of it but it's hard to find people to talk about wrestling.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
its too bad wrestling isn't more popular, its pretty watchable since the matches are fairly short and very explosive.

I barely understand the rules, especially when you get down to the different versions, but being taken down always equals bad and I know what most of the moves are from my own experience so I can follow okay enough. I always forget that escapes are worth points, so I always get nervous when guys seem to let themselves get put in bad positions because they're really good at whatever escape and their opponent isn't that good at holding it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I think I have a problem.

I saw these on Facebook, and I immediately thought to myself "I wonder if I can get those my size to wear for grappling."

http://blackmilkclothing.com/collections/leggings/products/retro-gamer-leggings

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Drewjitsu posted:

I think I have a problem.

I saw these on Facebook, and I immediately thought to myself "I wonder if I can get those my size to wear for grappling."

http://blackmilkclothing.com/collections/leggings/products/retro-gamer-leggings

I think it's a women's only line of leggings. But I was tempted by the musculature set myself.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's a women's only line of leggings. But I was tempted by the musculature set myself.

Bah! I'm sure that I could fit into a large.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have a Mexican wrestling mask which I've always wanted to wear into a grappling tournament, but I think it'd probably be dangerous if the ref couldn't see my face to know whether or not I was unconscious. Obviously I would only speak in very broken spanish.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I have a Mexican wrestling mask which I've always wanted to wear into a grappling tournament, but I think it'd probably be dangerous if the ref couldn't see my face to know whether or not I was unconscious. Obviously I would only speak in very broken spanish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d90eSZsfreY

should be fine

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Our club does a Halloween themed training session every year, to which I wore a luchador mask. It filled with sweat almost immediately, but El Chacal Gigante will ride again this year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dr. Miracle posted:

Our club does a Halloween themed training session every year, to which I wore a luchador mask. It filled with sweat almost immediately, but El Chacal Gigante will ride again this year.

That actually sounds pretty loving funny. Not enough places do fun stuff.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Does anyone know anything about Pedro Sauers teaching methods and how they differ from the other gracie black belts.

Someone told me that he teaches what we usually accept as BJJ up to purple belt, brown and black instruction is more about self defense and more practical survival based stuff.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
Information for viewing the wrestling championships (AKA when to plan your DVR) is below. They always bring back a couple of former champions and this year it looks like they are paying Anthony Robles to commentate starting on ESPN U on Friday. For those that don't remember he's the one legged wrestler who won his weight class last year at the NCAA championships.

My recommendation for those interested, record and watch all of them. You will learn some things by watching and you can feel free to ask questions here for clarification. For those of you with limited time/space, I recommend recording the semi-finals at the very least. That is where the most passionate and finest folkstyle wrestling happens. Also a tip from past years, if you are recording the finals on ESPN, they always run late.

Here's a link to the schedule:
http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/files/2012-fan-festival-schedule-events.pdf

Here's a link that includes how to watch the championships (thanks to Purdue for being more reliable then finding it on ESPN):
http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/030712aab.html

According to that link (all times EST)
Thu, Mar 15
Noon
NCAA Wrestling Championship First Round (Session 1)
Shawn Kenney and Jim Gibbons
ESPN3

7:30 p.m.
NCAA Wrestling Championship Second Round (Session 2)
Shawn Kenney and Jim Gibbons
ESPN3

Fri, Mar 16
11 a.m.
NCAA Wrestling Championship Quarterfinals (Session 3)
Anthony Robles, Tim Johnson and Adam Amin
ESPNU/ESPN3

7 p.m.
NCAA Wrestling Championship Semifinals (Session 4)
ESPNU/ESPN3

Sat, Mar 17
11 a.m.
NCAA Wrestling Championship Medal Round (Session 5)
Anthony Robles and Tim Johnson
ESPNU/ESPN3

7:30 p.m.
NCAA Wrestling Championship Final (Session 6)
ESPN/ ESPN3

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

Fri, Mar 16
7 p.m.
NCAA Wrestling Championship Semifinals (Session 4)
ESPNU/ESPN3
ESPNU/ESPN3

For me this round, the "Round of 12", is usually the best. On the winner's side of the bracket you have the semifinals, which are often the best matches in the tournament. But more importantly, on the loser's side of the bracket you have 8 guys wrestling with only 4 All American spots available (The top 8 at each weight earn All American status and all four of the wrestlers in the semifinals are assured of at least 6th place). The winners of those matches are All Americans, and the losers go home with nothing to show for their season. As a result these matches are some of the most consistently intense and hardfought matches all weekend.

Also, with 6 matches at each weight class there is always at least one exciting match going on. Sometimes the finals can get a little boring if you aren't a fan.

If you can only watch one session, I'd make it session 4.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BlindSite posted:

Does anyone know anything about Pedro Sauers teaching methods and how they differ from the other gracie black belts.

Someone told me that he teaches what we usually accept as BJJ up to purple belt, brown and black instruction is more about self defense and more practical survival based stuff.

I've trained at two Pedro Sauer schools and a Relson Gracie affiliate. For the blue belt tests, at least, the Pedro Sauer school had a whole bunch of self-defense type techniques, whereas the Relson Gracie school (and I've heard other Gracie schools too) only really focused on that for new white belts before they started regular classes. The instructors at both Pedro Sauer places were only purple belts themselves, and they were both Judo black belts who'd trained in a bunch of other martial arts, so I'm not sure how pure of a Pedro Sauer curriculum I was exposed to.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker
I'll talk very briefly about the team side of things before I post the individual weight classes later. The team race basically boils down to the fact that Penn State is going to win unless they fall on their faces pretty hard. They return most of the team that won it all last year, and they've all improved.

Behind Penn State there are a couple of teams that could catch the ball if they drop it. Minnesota could do quite well but the problem is they have good lower weights, and good upper weights, but very few strong contenders in the middle weight classes. Iowa is a pretty good team, and they really come on strong for NCAA's all the time, but they lack the high end talent aside from one or two weight classes to really boost their point total. Oklahoma State could make a run at it, their problem is that they only have strong contenders in every other weight class, so there are plenty of gaps. Cornell is very good top to bottom for the most part, but for some reason every year one or two of their top guys falters pretty hard. Lehigh likewise could have a pretty good tournament, but they'd need all the lower seeded guys to come through, they might win just because they're the best school though.

Bottom line, anyone who is going to overcome Penn State would need to have the whole team have a great tournament, and Penn State would need to really under achieve.

Edit: Here's a less pessimistic article about it: http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/9946

Mardragon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 14, 2012

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker
A link to the brackets here: http://108.166.67.236:8080/tw/predefinedtournaments/MainFrame.jsp?sport=wrestling&TIM=1331739692825&pageName=&ie=false&frameSize=976

125 lbs.
(1) Matt McDonough, Iowa Junior
(2) Zachary Sanders, Minnesota Senior
(3) Alan Waters, Missouri Sophomore
(4) Jesse Delgado, Illinois Freshman

Returning All-Americans:
Mango Ryan, Stanford
McDonough Matt (2x)
Patterson Jarrod, Oklahoma
Sanders Zach (3x)

Four returning All-Americans including last years runner up and 2010 champion Matt McDonough. Most predict that it is a two man race between McDonough and Zachary Sanders, Sanders has only lost to McDonough and the number 3 seed Alan Waters has only lost to Sanders. MCDonough is the strong favorite he has been almost untouchable this season, with only one loss, he defeated the #2 ranked Zachary Sanders three times this year, all were pretty convincing. McDonough isn't terribly flashy, but he has rock solid fundamentals and has very good defense. On McDonough's side of the bracket is the only person to beat him this year Jesse Delgado, so that could perhaps set up a fun semi-final.

133 lbs
(1) Jordan Oliver, Oklahoma St. Junior
(2) Logan Stieber, Ohio St. Freshman
(3) Tony Ramos, Iowa Sophomore
(4) Bernard Futrell, Illinois Junior

Returning All-Americans:
Futrell B.J.
Oliver Jordan (2x)
Quiroga Cashé, Purdue

Jordan Oliver is one of the slickest wrestlers in the tournament, he has blazing fast speed and very fancy takedowns. Last year he was undefeated on his way to a championship and that included an astounding 24 matches where he won by bonus points. All that being said, he has lost once this year to the number 3 ranked Tony Ramos, who in turn has lost to the number two ranked Logan Stieber twice. This is an exciting weight class, but Oliver is really the cream of the crop, which is why he was the top rated high school recruit when he came out.

I'll do the rest of the weights later, let me know if you like/dislike this format.

Mardragon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 14, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
For the returning all-americans who aren't in your top four, you should probably mention what school they're from.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The brackets link doesn't work for me. You can also get them here.

I'd go ahead an list out all 12 seeded wrestlers, or at least the top 8. I'm guessing you are just copy/pasting that info anyways so that wouldn't take any extra work.

Here is a full list of qualifiers in case anyone wants to check and see if anyone from their school is competing

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 14, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

Jordan Oliver is one of the slickest wrestlers in the tournament, he has blazing fast speed and very fancy takedowns. Last year he was undefeated on his way to a championship and that included an astounding 24 matches where he won by bonus points. All that being said, he has lost once this year to the number 3 ranked Tony Ramos, who in turn has lost to the number two ranked Logan Stieber twice. This is an exciting weight class, but Oliver is really the cream of the crop, which is why he was the top rated high school recruit when he came out.

The only reason I am a little worried about Oliver steamrolling his way through the tournament is weight management. He cuts a lot of weight and you can tell the difference between Oliver right after weigh ins and Oliver several hours later. I am not sure if he'll be able to keep his weight down for three straight days and still be at the top of his game.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Just signed up for a Cyborg Abreu seminar this saturday. Woop Woop invert your guard everyday.

My instructors instructor (this guy)came up last friday to teach and that was tons of fun. Plus we're supposed to be getting a seminar with Luiz Palhares, my instructor's intructor's instructor, in May or so. It'd be the first time I've ever even seen a red and black belt in person, so that's awesome. There aren't a lot of school out here, and the nearest black belts we're not directly affiliated with are at least 2 hours away. It's a great chance to get exposed to a new game. I'm excited.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Can anyone recommend a BJJ studio in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix, AZ)?

Here's another question-- I've had MRSA, should I not grapple? That should have been first.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

The Sphinxster posted:

Can anyone recommend a BJJ studio in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix, AZ)?

Here's another question-- I've had MRSA, should I not grapple? That should have been first.

If you don't have it now then you should be ok. As far as I know you can't carry staph with no infection, typhoid marry style.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Xguard86 posted:

If you don't have it now then you should be ok. As far as I know you can't carry staph with no infection, typhoid marry style.

Yeah, if you got it be sure to tell your school and other guys so they can be extra vigilant about cleaning and disinfecting all the poo poo. I got impetigo (kinda like staph) last year because no one said anything. Remember, you don't just "get" staph or whatever, someone else gives it to you because they werent paying attention.

1.)Shower immediately after grappling, like, either straight go home, shower, or if youre gym has a shower facility, use it. (dont worry about showering before, ive read many papers/articles that say doing that actually lowers your bodies own bacteria ability to fight it off)

2.)Use an antibacterial soap

3.) Check your body over in the shower for any visible poo poo, know what staph etc. looks like

4.)Wear a clean gi to practice. After every practice just get in the habit of throwing your gi in the wash, then just hanging it up to dry till the next day. Same goes with no-gi stuff. Bleach/disinfect all your equipment.

5.) Even with gi I suggest wearing a long sleeve no-gi/underarmour type shirt. I hate how the judo places I went to a few times don't allow undershirts, but personally I think its a hygiene issue. Most BJJ places are good about this.

5.) Check that your gym is bleaching the mats ATLEAST once a day, if not twice like most do. This poo poo spreads easily.

gently caress I wish more places would hamper on this. So many people think its no big deal to clean their gi's after like a few weeks. Even though my last gym I didnt like the head instructor too much, he at least was super conscious about this stuff and bleached twice a day, and would stop any roll session if anyone started bleeding, and would clean and disinfect that poo poo.

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 14, 2012

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swagger like us posted:

Yeah, if you got it be sure to tell your school and other guys so they can be extra vigilant about cleaning and disinfecting all the poo poo. I got impetigo (kinda like staph) last year because no one said anything. Remember, you don't just "get" staph or whatever, someone else gives it to you because they werent paying attention.

1.)Shower immediately after grappling, like, either straight go home, shower, or if youre gym has a shower facility, use it. (dont worry about showering before, ive read many papers/articles that say doing that actually lowers your bodies own bacteria ability to fight it off)

2.)Use an antibacterial soap

3.) Check your body over in the shower for any visible poo poo, know what staph etc. looks like

4.)Wear a clean gi to practice. After every practice just get in the habit of throwing your gi in the wash, then just hanging it up to dry till the next day. Same goes with no-gi stuff. Bleach/disinfect all your equipment.

5.) Even with gi I suggest wearing a long sleeve no-gi/underarmour type shirt. I hate how the judo places I went to a few times don't allow undershirts, but personally I think its a hygiene issue. Most BJJ places are good about this.

5.) Check that your gym is bleaching the mats ATLEAST once a day, if not twice like most do. This poo poo spreads easily.

gently caress I wish more places would hamper on this. So many people think its no big deal to clean their gi's after like a few weeks. Even though my last gym I didnt like the head instructor too much, he at least was super conscious about this stuff and bleached twice a day, and would stop any roll session if anyone started bleeding, and would clean and disinfect that poo poo.

I'll also add to this, make sure you cover any open sores or cuts you might have before rolling. I put on antiseptic cream, a band aid then strapping tape to stop it from coming off.

You can get skin guards from your chemist and I recommend those too.

You can get antiseptic washing additives to throw in your washing machine when you wash your kit too.

Having had MSRA in the past it's not fun, but I still train. At the end of the day I do everything I can possibly do to stop someone else or myself getting sick, if they don't hold up their end of the bargain its on them. Also, I've refused to roll with someone who was wearing visibly dirty and really smelly attire. Don't be afraid to do that either.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks guys. That's reassuring.

Now I need to get my back straight so I can do it.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker
141 lbs.
1 Kellen Russell, Michigan Senior
2 Kendric Maple, Oklahoma Sophomore
3 Montell Marion, Iowa Senior
4 Mike Mangrum, Oregon State Junior
5 Hunter Stieber, Ohio State Freshman
6 Boris Novachkov, Cal Poly Senior
7 Nick Nelson, Virginia Senior
8 Darius Little, North Carolina State Senior
9 Nick Dardanes, Minnesota Freshman
10 Jake Sueflohn, Nebraska Freshman
11 Matt Mariacher, American Senior
12 Tyler Small, Kent State Sophomore

Returning All-Americans:
Kemmerer Zack, Penn
Marion Montell (2x)
Novachkov Boris (2x)
Russell Kellen (2x)

In my opinion 141 could be one of the really fun brackets to watch. Kellen Russell is the returning champion and he's very solid all around, not flashy but very strong in all three positions. Russell does have a loss this year to Freshman Hunter Stieber, who in turn lost to Montrell Marion (the surprise runner up two years ago) in the Big 10 championships. Outside the Big 10 is where this bracket gets intersting, because the number 2 seed Kendrick Maple hasn't wrestled any of the other top 6 wrestlers except Marion who he beat. And the two entries from the Pac-10 Novachkov and Mangrum, have lost to each other and Mangrum once lost to Marion. Novachkov is fun to watch, as he's a freestyle trained Russian wrestler with some pretty slick takedowns. I wouldn't be shocked if the finals of 141 contained any possible combination of the top 6 guys.

149 lbs.
1 Frank Molinaro, Penn State Senior
2 Jamal Parks, Oklahoma State Senior
3 Cole VonOhlen, Air Force Junior
4 Donnie Vinson, Binghamton Junior
5 Ian Miller, Kent State Freshman
6 Tyler Nauman, Pittsburgh Senior
7 Dylan Ness, Minnesota Freshman
8 Eric Grajales, Michigan Sophomore
9 Dave Habat, Edinboro Freshman
10 Cam Tessari, Ohio State Freshman
11 Taylor Walsh, Indiana Freshman
12 Ivan Lopouchanski, Purdue Junior

Returning All-Americans:
149 Molinaro Frank (3x)
149 Nauman Tyler
149 Parks Jamal

In complete contrast to the 141 lbs. bracket, the 149 lbs. bracket has two undefeated Senior freight trains sitting on either side. On one end, is Frank Molinaro, who is looking to become Penn State's 5th 4-time All American. He was last year's runner up and he has excellent defense. How good? He has more wins this year (28) then points scored against him (25), and both last year and this year he won the Big 10 championship without having a point scored against him. On the opposite side of the bracket is Jamal Parks, a scoring machine with speedy takedowns, not quite the defensive master Molinaro is. These two do have some championship history though, Jamal beat Frank 10-5 at the 2007 National High School Championships (long time ago I know).

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
These are awesome Mardragon.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Yup, much appreciation for the write ups, Mardragon!

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Swagger, unfortunately you're wrong.

You can be a carrier for staph/MRSA and not show symptoms.

The thing regarding showering weakening your bodies bacteria... I'm not a medical goon but I'm pretty sure it's BS. I think it is more likely from people scrubbing excessively (removing dead skin), shaving and then showering (and having micro cuts when training), or getting burns in the shower that can lead to folks getting infections. Not you know, actually getting clean. The big list of preventing/dealing with staph...

TLDR, regularly wash your loving hands during the day and before practice, and do your laundry and shower afterwards. You will likely be fine.

If you get blood or some other body fluid on a mat, stop, get a bottle of bleach/biological cleaning solution and clean it up.

Personally I think antibacterial soap and hand sanitizer are a waste, normal soap works perfectly well. Take the time to wash your hands, and you know get a decent lather. Don't be the guy that touches door knobs all day, takes a piss, and just spritzes their hands with water. (I see this at work every day.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 15, 2012

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I found this list on twitter of where and when you can watch.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker
157 lbs.
1 Kyle Dake, Cornell Junior
2 Derek St. John, Iowa Sophomore
3 Jason Welch, Northwestern Junior
4 Walter Peppelman, Harvard Junior
5 Ganbayar Sanjaa, American Senior
6 James Fleming, Clarion Junior
7 Dylan Alton, Penn State Freshman
8 Frank Hickman, Bloomsburg Junior
9 Justin Lister, Binghamton Senior
10 Anthony Jones, Michigan State Senior
11 James Green, Nebraska Freshman
12 Steven Monk, North Dakota State Sophomore

Returning All-Americans:
157 Dake Kyle (2x)
157 Lister Justin
157 Peppelman Walter,
157 Sanjaa Ganbayar
157 St. John Derek
157 Welch Jason

Kyle Dake is pretty good at this whole wrestling thing, he won NCAA's as a 141 lbs. true Freshman, he won the 149 lbs weight class his second year, and thi year he returns stronger as an undefeated Junior. He is good in all positions, and as good fundamentally and as fancy as he wants to be. The number two and three seeds on the other side of the bracket had an incredibly close match at the Big 10 championship, neither of them has wrestled Dake yet this year.

165 lbs.
1 David Taylor, Penn State Sophomore
2 Shane Onufer, Wyoming Senior
3 Andrew Sorenson, Iowa State Senior
4 Bekzod Abdurakhmanov, Clarion Senior
5 Mike Evans, Iowa Freshman
6 Peter Yates, Virginia Tech Junior
7 Josh Asper, Maryland Junior
8 Robert Kokesh, Nebraska Freshman
9 Conrad Polz, Illinois Junior
10 Cody Yohn, Minnesota Junior
11 Brandon Hatchett, Lehigh Senior
12 P.J. Gillespie, Hofstra Senior

Returning All-Americans:
165 Asper Josh
165 Gillespie P.J.
165 Hatchett Brandon
165 Onufer Shane
165 Taylor David

Taylor, the number one seed, had a surprising run to the NCAA finals at 157 lbs last year but he's backed it up this year so far with an undefeated run. Should he falter there's a strong possibility that you could see any of the wrestlers ranked 2-12 in the finals. It's a mash-up of extremely closely matched wrestlers and the 2-5 seeds could just as well have been mixed and matched and stacked a different way.

174 lbs.
1 Ed Ruth, Penn State Sophomore
2 Chris Perry, Oklahoma State Sophomore
3 Nick Amuchastegui, Stanford Senior
4 Logan Storley, Minnesota Freshman
5 Ethen Lofthouse, Iowa Sophomore
6 Ryan DesRoches, Cal Poly Senior
7 Jordan Blanton, Illinois Junior
8 Lee Munster, Northwestern Freshman
9 Nick Heflin, Ohio State Sophomore
10 Te Edwards, Old Dominion Senior
11 Justin Zeerip, Michigan Senior
12 Jimmy Sheptock, Maryland Sophomore

Returning All-Americans:
174 Amuchastegui Nick (2x)
174 Blanton Jordan
174 Ruth Ed

174 is very top heavy, the top three guys are all undefeated this year and quite frankly between the three of them they've only had one or two highly contested matches all year. Ruth in particular has been spectacular, with only three of his 26 wins being normal decisions. Amuchastegui was the runner-up last year, Ruth battled to place third after losing by in the quarterfinals...to Amuchastegui..allegedly because of an injury. That match here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thidg7MuXhQ
There has been a little trash talk between Stanford and Penn State fans over the possible rematch. Should be fun to see if this weight class goes chalk (they almost never do).

184 lbs.
1 Joe LeBlanc, Wyoming Senior
2 Robert Hamlin, Lehigh Junior
3 Ben Bennett, Central Michigan Junior
4 Steve Bosak, Cornell Junior
5 Kevin Steinhaus, Minnesota Sophomore
6 Quentin Wright, Penn State Junior
7 Josh Ihnen, Nebraska Junior
8 Ryan Loder, Northern Iowa Sophomore
9 Austin Trotman, Appalachian State Senior
10 Jake Swartz, Boise State Sophomore
11 Ben Clymer, Hofstra Senior
12 Jon Fausey,Virginia Sophomore

Returning All-Americans:
184 Bennett Ben (2x)
184 Bosak Steve
184 Gambrall Grant, Iowa
184 Hamlin Robert
184 LeBlanc Joe (3x)
184 Steinhaus Kevin
184 Wright Quentin (2x)

The Champion and Runner-up (Quentin Wright from Penn State and Robert Hamlin from Lehigh respectively) both return to a loaded weight class. However, we won't be seeing a national finals rematch as they are both on the same side of the bracket (not such a cool thing for the seeding committee to do). For the former champion Wright, this year looks very similar to last in that he was lower seeded, but went 5-0 with every match decided by three points or more...downed the #8, #1, #12 (by fall) and #2 seeds on his way to the title as the #9 seed overall. The top seeded Leblanc hasn't lost to anyone in this weight class this year, his only loss coming against Chris Perry (the 174 lbs #2 seed). The number two seed Hamlin and the number 4 seed Bosak split two very close matches this year, and the Hamlin has two very close wins over the number three seeded Bennett. For those funk wrestling enthusiasts, Hamlin does a couple fun single leg defense moves where he spins away from his opponent and ends up behind them in control, that's how he made the finals last year.

197 lbs.
1 Cam Simaz, Cornell Senior
2 Chris Honeycutt, Edinboro Senior
3 Matt Wilps, Pittsburgh Junior
4 Christian Boley, Maryland Sophomore
5 Cayle Byers, Oklahoma State Senior
6 Brent Haynes, Missouri Junior
7 Mario Gonzalez, Illinois Sophomore
8 Matt Powless, Indiana Senior
9 Alfonso Hernandez, Wyoming Junior
10 Sonny Yohn, Minnesota Senior
11 Micah Burak, Penn Junior
12 Joe Kennedy, Lehigh Senior

Returning All-Americans:
197 Chriswell Brent, Boise State
197 Honeycutt Christopher
197 Powless Matt
197 Simaz Cam (3x)
197 Yohn Sonny (2x)

197 is a great class this year because of the possibilities, if it goes chalk it's exciting, if it becomes chaos it will be exciting. So we all win no matter what. The top seed Cam Simaz is looking to become a 4-time All-American, he's placed 3rd both of the last two years and 23 of his 26 wins this year are major decisions or better. Simaz's only losses are by injury. The second seed Chris Honeycutt, had an undefeated season going until the EWL finals where he lost to the third seeded Matt Wilps (who Honeycutthad beaten twice earlier in the year). The number four seed Boley from Maryland has only one loss to someone from Wartburg (I don't know where that is). So the number 1 and 4 seeds haven't seen the 2 and 3 seeds on the other side of the bracket.

Hwt.
1 Ryan Flores, American Senior
2 Tony Nelson, Minnesota Sophomore
3 Clayton Jack, Oregon State Senior
4 Zack Rey, Lehigh Senior
5 Bobby Telford, Iowa Freshman
6 Cameron Wade, Penn State Senior
7 Jeremy Johnson, Ohio Sophomore
8 Spencer Myers, Maryland Sophomore
9 Levi Cooper, Arizona State Junior
10 Mike McMullan, Northwestern Freshman
11 Tucker Lane, Nebraska Senior
12 Matt Gibson, Iowa State Junior

Returning All-Americans:
285 Cooper Levi
285 Flores Ryan
285 Myers Spencer
285 Nelson Tony
285 Rey Zach (2x)

In my opinion the seeding committee really hosed this weight class up. The Champion (Rey from Lehigh) and Runner-up (Flores from American) are both on the same side of the bracket. Which is a shame because their only match this year was an overtime match decided by a crazy scramble that could have gone either way, and the two seed (Nelson) has two pretty bad losses on his record to unranked wrestlers. Both Rey and Flores weigh all of 275 and they are quite nimble, Flores has been wrecking this year with 13 of his 17 wins coming by pin. The two seed Nelson owns a win over the 3 seed Jack. So the top bracket hasn't seen much of the bottom bracket and vise-versa.

Sorry this whole thing was brief, I didn't have a ton of time this year, hopefully you all will watch and learn something that will help your grappling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think we can all agree that Mango Ryan is in lead as far as best name goes.