Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Dumbledore 64 posted:

i think i found the most worthwhile thing on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions :thumbsup:

how to ruin it for yourself: imagine stephen fry reading out the article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
It has been widely believed that Macintosh computers are immune to malware, such as viruses,[359][360] though recent developments are correcting this belief.[361][362] Although much less frequently than computers running Microsoft Windows, they can and do get malware.[363]

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest_in_popular_culture#Japanese_manga_and_anime

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

quote:

This is a list of works in terms of length it would be inappropriate to exclude something that meet requirement simply because someone has a personal problem with the type of literary work. You are basically asking Wikipedia editors to remove content simply because it doesn't meet your standard of notability. You seem to be unable to rationalize what WP:NOTESAL states; the individual entries on the list need not be notable enough to have their own article as long as they meet the criteria for a notable list. The works meet the criteria for the list in terms of length and are not serial works. What your argument boils down to is that you have an issue with it fanfiction and sharing a list that notes their length. Let's not be so selective and picky with what type of works which meet criteria be included. It meets a notable criteria and that alone warrants it. I am not going to entertain you with how a notable sub-culture's work is independently notable when it has no such requirement, but let me warn you the sheer volume of its derivative fanbase eclipses what most consider notability. Namely because Project Horizons is currently the longest recursive fanfiction in the world. Lets not even get into its multi-media options and inclusion into video gaming, artistic circles and conventions. Hate to say it, but under WP:GNG it probably deserves its own article. Refute the fact that Equestria Daily which follows these two works also has its own Wikipedia article which is officially recognized by the shows creators as well as the The Hub TV channel for being a premier MLP resource. I could even make a case for notability because anything which tops an officially recognized media source for all things related to the franchise and its works could actually count as notability itself due to its place as the top works. The deeper I probe the work and its culture and the official recognition the resource on which it reports the more and more notable it becomes. After digging up this much information... I might just have to make a whole article about it.

:eyepop:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
i'm STILL invloved in this edit war about my little pony fanfics on the long novel page. A loving poll has now been created to gather consensus on the issue.

goddamn things escalate to spergy bean counting quickly on wikipedia

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Amethyst posted:

i'm STILL invloved in this edit war about my little pony fanfics on the long novel page. A loving poll has now been created to gather consensus on the issue.

goddamn things escalate to spergy bean counting quickly on wikipedia

you're gunna lose the poll you know

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
fyi the other people in that argument are in all likelihood using an array of sock puppet accounts already, so you should be doing the same

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

Dumbledore 64 posted:

i think i found the most worthwhile thing on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions :thumbsup:

half these own, half are spergy. also it says 0.999...=1 i am tempted to hit f5 and see if it changes/disappears

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
hey lookit this lil guy posting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cape_Dwarf_Chameleon_Bradypodion_pumilum_2012_02_02_1696s.JPG

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Jeffrey Hudson (1619 – circa 1682) was an English court dwarf at the court of Queen Henrietta Maria. He was famous as the "Queen's dwarf" and "Lord Minimus", and was considered one of the "wonders of the age" because of his extreme but well-proportioned smallness. He fought with the Royalists in the English Civil War and fled with the Queen to France but was expelled from her court when he killed a man in a duel. He was captured by Barbary pirates and spent 25 years as a slave in North Africa before being ransomed back to England.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Pakled posted:

Jeffrey Hudson (1619 – circa 1682) was an English court dwarf at the court of Queen Henrietta Maria. He was famous as the "Queen's dwarf" and "Lord Minimus", and was considered one of the "wonders of the age" because of his extreme but well-proportioned smallness. He fought with the Royalists in the English Civil War and fled with the Queen to France but was expelled from her court when he killed a man in a duel. He was captured by Barbary pirates and spent 25 years as a slave in North Africa before being ransomed back to England.

imagine being that dude for half a second. considered a freak by the majority, you rise to being within first degree of royalty, then you go from being part of a court to escaping a civil war to surviving slavery for 25 years. holy poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

welp i signed into my old wikipedia account for the first time since like '09 to vote no on the spergpoll

i guess that makes me a sperg too

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Carthag posted:

welp i signed into my old wikipedia account for the first time since like '09 to vote no on the spergpoll

i guess that makes me a sperg too

Thanks duder

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

theflyingexecutive posted:

bless you sir

quote:

The Subspace Emissary's Worlds Conquest - Super Smash Brothers (3,357,528 words)

loving LOL

that is titanically huge. that's longer than all of the wheel of time books and those were wildly over-long themselves. and it took like over a decade to write them all. how in the hell has some sperglord written over three million words about super smash bros???

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Amethyst posted:

Thanks duder

point me where to vote on destroying ponyfic

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how in the hell has some sperglord written over three million words about super smash bros???

poorly, and repetitively, i have no doubt

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_of_connectors_and_fasteners

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

im strangely aroused

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Genderless (hermaphroditic) connectors

yes, i am mentally 12, what of it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
:ughh:

favorite genderless: anderson powerpoles

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 15, 2012

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
post the cisgenderist connectors u got

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:swoon:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

point me where to vote on destroying ponyfic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_longest_novels#To_achieve_concensus_for_fanfiction

Please don't goon rush this with anonymous ip votes or I'm sure the pony spergs will report it to the wiki authorites for sock puppetry. The non-spergs are winning the battle for now

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
no need to vote, no need to care, it'll destroy itself or just fade away, like all worthless internet poo poo, and farts

also anyone who cares at all about this should report to the double down recycling and manufacturing centre for immediate reprocessing

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Dr. Honked posted:

no need to vote, no need to care, it'll destroy itself or just fade away, like all worthless internet poo poo, and farts

also anyone who cares at all about this should report to the double down recycling and manufacturing centre for immediate reprocessing

you're right of course. I'm staring into the abyss, trying to make it a little bit shallower by throwing in a handful of dirt

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the abyss of our own culture is all we have left

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dr. Honked posted:

no need to vote, no need to care, it'll destroy itself or just fade away, like everything, everywhere, and also farts

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
don't misquote my post you fucks, only the internet is worthless, real life owns, and also farts

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

Dr. Honked posted:

don't misquote my post you fucks, only the internet is worthless, real life owns, and also farts

you have that backwards goone sire

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Punjabi_vs_Gujarati

this is a really useful wiki

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Category:Proverbs

one of these is not like the others

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Total Fat Guy posted:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Category:Proverbs

one of these is not like the others

whoever posted that should experience bij

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_RPG

quote:

RPG IV, a modern language

In 2001, with the release of OS/400 V5R1, RPG IV offered even greater freedom for calculations than offered by the Extended Factor-2 Calculation Specification: a free-format text-capable source entry, as an alternative to the original column-dependent source format. The "/FREE" calculation does not require the operation code to be placed in a particular column; the operation code is optional for the EVAL and CALLP operations; and syntax generally more closely resembles that of mainstream, general-purpose programming languages. However, the free format only applies to the calculation specifications. F and D specifications still need to be in column-dependent format.
Today, RPG IV is a considerably more robust language. Editing can still be done via the simple green screen editor (even though syntax checking is not supported for features introduced from OS 7.1 onwards) or it can be edited via PC using IBM's Websphere Development Studio now named RDi (Rational Development Studio for i) a customized implementation of Eclipse. IBM is continually extending its capabilities and adding more built-in functions (BIFs). It has the ability to link to Java objects,[3] and i5/OS APIs; it can be used to write CGI programs with the help of IBM's Cgidev2 web toolkit,[4] RPGLIB (a collection of hundreds of pre-written RPG IV routines), CGILIB, the RPG Toolbox, and other commercial Web enabled packages. Even with the changes, it retains a great deal of backward compatibility, so an RPG program written 37 years ago could run today with little or no modification.
Furthermore, with the implementation of the SQL Precompiler, current RPG developers can take advantage of IBM's cost-based SQE (SQL Query Engine). As opposed to the traditional F-Spec approach, where a developer identified a specific access path to a data set, a developer can now implement standard embedded SQL statements directly in the program. When compiled, the SQL Precompiler transforms the invalid embedded SQL statements into valid RPG statements that call the database manager programs that ultimately implement the query request.
OS/400 was later renamed i5/OS to correspond with the new IBM System i5 branding initiative; the 5 was later dropped in favor of just System i. In March 2008 i5/OS was renamed IBM i as part of the Power Systems consolidation of System i and System p product lines. The new Power Systems also adopt more mainstream version numbers, substituting 6.1 for the twenty year old V1R1M0 notation. The latest release is now referred to as IBM i 7.1 and fully supports the RPG IV language, as well as many others. WebSphere Development Studio Client (WDSC) is now referred to as Rational Developer for i (RDi), of which three product levels are available. They are called Rational Developer for i (RDi), RDi Service Oriented Architecture (RDi SOA), and Rational Application Developer (RAD). The new lineup provides in more granular packaging all of the development tools and support previously offered by WDSC and WDSC Advanced Edition.
Some of the more unmodern features of the language include the dependency on the EBCDIC character sets which means that use of UTF-8 requires considerable effort and is quite risky (the programmer has to take responsibility not to get his/her character data mixed up with a single byte CCSID), whereas 16 bit characters (eg UTF-16) are supported directly via a separate datatype (Graphic). The threadsafeness of the language is also a bit odd as the compiler team has solved this by giving each thread its own static storage, rather than make the RPG run-time environment re-entrant. This has been noted to meddle up the distinction between a thread and a process (making RPG IV threads a kind of hybrid between threads and processes).

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
it's this. this is THE most worthless and hilarious section on all of wikipedia

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

UTF-8 requires considerable effort and is quite risky

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

UTF-8 requires considerable effort and is quite risky

mlyp

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_versions_of_cartoon_characters

Since the 1980s, there have been many animated characters which are either junior versions (e.g., children, nephews, nieces, or protégés) or younger versions (i.e., the original characters presented as children) of other well-established characters. An example of a younger character is Scooby-Doo as a puppy, and an example of a junior character is Scrappy-Doo, Scooby-Doo's nephew.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
argh you just made me mad about godzuki all over again

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Trig Discipline posted:

argh you just made me mad about godzuki all over again

emptyquoting this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

XausF1 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_versions_of_cartoon_characters

Since the 1980s, there have been many animated characters which are either junior versions (e.g., children, nephews, nieces, or protégés) or younger versions (i.e., the original characters presented as children) of other well-established characters. An example of a younger character is Scooby-Doo as a puppy, and an example of a junior character is Scrappy-Doo, Scooby-Doo's nephew.

This trend, often referred to as the "babyfication"[1] of shows...