Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Orange Crush Rush posted:

FChamp said on stream (I think during FGTV) the he has "inside sources" that tell him Zero is getting nerfed by Summer. What's interesting about this is that he said this before any of the Marvel 3X rumor poo poo started.

Zero is easily the worst character to fight online. His stupid looping combos go on for an eternity and he does so little damage that if you're playing, say, Nemesis, Hulk or Thor and Zero happens to catch you in his loop you may as well go make a loving sandwich and come back in half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

S-Alpha posted:

I gotta say, I do agree with this. Despite Zero being my best character, and having no problems with any of his stuff offline, when it comes down to online stuff, I pretty much constantly drop just about everything short of the most basic poo poo. It's really aggravating when even the easy version of the lightning loop keeps dropping due to lag. When it comes to online, Vergil and Wesker, who in offline matches are used more for their assist potential than anything, keep winning me matches. It sucks seeing those hours of practice go to poo poo.

That being said, I hope FChamp is wrong. I just got some good poo poo with him that I can actually use, and now they're gonna get rid of it already, even if I don't have a chance to use it online. :(

I've said before that they just need to buff a lot of the lower tier characters, and although Zero is annoying Wesker is the one that needs to be thrown under a bus.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SpaceBees posted:

I've said before that they just need to buff a lot of the lower tier characters, and although Zero is annoying Wesker is the one that needs to be thrown under a bus.

I distinctly remember people saying this exact same thing before UMVC3, and they ended up giving Wesker a buff. So if trends continue we really will be seeing him firing cruise missiles from his silenced pistol.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I don't know where you guys are playing from that your online is so bad your dropping combos all the time, or maybe that it's because playing online is all I seem to do, but I can do combos pretty fine online. Granted, the trickiest combos I'm doing are like Dooms loops, but I'm seeing people do fly combos with Sentinel and Morrigan and no one ever seems to drop their Taskmaster combos. I'm sitting here praying they drop these drat combos but it's pretty rare in my experience. You still get a sneaking suspicion that some of these teleport happy guys might not be so hot offline tho...

Changing topics: I'm trying to pick up Spencer because apparently he and Chris are best bros (they even have matching default colors, sort of) and I'm looking for tips as to general sort of gameplay options with him. I've cruised SRK for combos, and can do them fairly consistently, but Spencer just handles really awkwardly for me. I don't know how much trust to put in ziplining around the screen.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Re-asking my question from the other page because it never got answered and I wanna be good at Taskmaster

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

the guide suggests this combo for Taskmaster:
code:
 cr.LMH --> web swing --> air M, M --> web swing --> M,M,S, land, st. m, h, charging star, delayed S, super jump, M, M, H, web swing, M,M,S, vertical jump, QCF+H (charge), QCF+MH 
However, I can never reliably pick them up again with the standing M into H, charging star, and then launcher. Am I doing something obviously wrong? Is there a better BNB? How should I be getting in with Taskmaster solo? Whenever I webswing I usually end up getting killed by some random beam super or something to that effect. Can I cancel it into a block somehow?

Anyone got any tips?

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Waverhouse posted:

I don't know where you guys are playing from that your online is so bad your dropping combos all the time, or maybe that it's because playing online is all I seem to do, but I can do combos pretty fine online. Granted, the trickiest combos I'm doing are like Dooms loops, but I'm seeing people do fly combos with Sentinel and Morrigan and no one ever seems to drop their Taskmaster combos. I'm sitting here praying they drop these drat combos but it's pretty rare in my experience. You still get a sneaking suspicion that some of these teleport happy guys might not be so hot offline tho...

Changing topics: I'm trying to pick up Spencer because apparently he and Chris are best bros (they even have matching default colors, sort of) and I'm looking for tips as to general sort of gameplay options with him. I've cruised SRK for combos, and can do them fairly consistently, but Spencer just handles really awkwardly for me. I don't know how much trust to put in ziplining around the screen.

I'm guessing you're on Xbox. You can actually do combos on Xbox Live. PSN is really THAT bad.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I can never reliably pick them up again with the standing M into H, charging star, and then launcher. Am I doing something obviously wrong? Is there a better BNB?

I find it's easier to skip the MH and just do charging star into launcher for that combo.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How should I be getting in with Taskmaster solo? Whenever I webswing I usually end up getting killed by some random beam super or something to that effect. Can I cancel it into a block somehow?

Don't use webswing for movement. Ground dashes cancelled into crouch block and normal jumps (again, while blocking) are safe options for approaching. Ideally you'll be able to harass your opponent with arrows and make them want to come to you though.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Nate405 posted:

I find it's easier to skip the MH and just do charging star into launcher for that combo.

Don't use webswing for movement. Ground dashes cancelled into crouch block and normal jumps (again, while blocking) are safe options for approaching. Ideally you'll be able to harass your opponent with arrows and make them want to come to you though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJp9QoxEvo

Does this relaunch still work in Ultimate?

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Re-asking my question from the other page because it never got answered and I wanna be good at Taskmaster
Anyone got any tips?

Easy block string: cr.LMH Charging Star, cancelled into arrows or chopstick. Both options are safe on block(as long as you're not right up in their face) but are limited in combo options without assists. You can even cancel into launcher on reaction, if your reactions are good enough. Dash up cr.M has crazy reach, but like Nate said, most of the time you're ok with them coming to you. A max range webswing isn't always punishable on block. If the opponent doesn't know the timing to jump and airgrab, you can mash M to catch them or keep your webswing safe. There are some sneaky side-switching stuff you can do on incoming opponents, but I never really bothered with it. Taskmaster's not that good at mixups or chip, so swap morrigan for anchor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Had a question that was lost in the shuffle...what card do you use in Heroes and Heralds to constantly regenerate health? Its horrible and annoys me, but I want to get one so I can at least be on a level field with everyone I fight.

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010

iolo_the_bard posted:

Had a question that was lost in the shuffle...what card do you use in Heroes and Heralds to constantly regenerate health? Its horrible and annoys me, but I want to get one so I can at least be on a level field with everyone I fight.

Sabretooth.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJp9QoxEvo

Does this relaunch still work in Ultimate?

Yep, though it requires a 'lil modification.

I've got a bunch of Taskmaster related videos on my page, including how to combo off airthrows (given the right assists) and whatnot.

The basic BNB is here (with assist extensions, substitute your own at the end when you need to)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED6qZK2lVII&feature=channel
To make that combo easier just do a j.L instead of a j.M, and omit the st.H after the arrows.

Generally you want to avoid using st.M in the middle of your combos because it scales them extremely hard. Only use it as a starter (when poking and stuff).

Taskmaster is pretty versatile in how you can play him so I can't really give too much advice other than "when doing your blockstrings or shield charge pressure cancel into shock sting or IMMEDIATELY cancel into arrows (if you do it even slightly too late they can mash out of it)", but I'll try:

Abuse his st.m, j.h and swing arrow cancel movement (with assists) because they're your best tools. Learn how to use dash+shield charge to get through stuff and anti-air. It's also really important to know how to convert off EVERYTHING with him because you tend not to get second chances when using him against good players.

Jumping M arrows are good- but remember that he can't block after them so space them correctly or else you're going to get wavedashed in on and punished.

Your best incoming mixup is crossup wavedash shield charge- it's extremely ambiguous and doesn't look like a crossup at all. However, it only works on people who don't have movement options coming in so you can also try for stuff like fake meaty j.H with assist call for crossup, or other gimmicks.

edit: examples at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksIzeZRUy28#t=1m08s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksIzeZRUy28#t=7m37s
though i look really dang disgruntled in these vids geez!!

Work on wavedash tick throwing, it's basically his only real mixup.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 15, 2012

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Big Two on Spooky's stream right now: "X-factor runs out... Wesker now low-tier" :roflolmao:

Link in case anyone wants it: http://www.own3d.tv/teamspooky

booksnake fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 15, 2012

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Chacmool posted:

I might be wrong but don't you have to hit down after the first dash. I've always gotten it to work by doing HM, 2, H~M, 2, H~M etc.

I'm not hitting down after the first dash, I'm trying to input cr.L after a double dash (H~M, H~M) and I always seem to get standing H after the second dash. What am I doing wrong?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Regarding Taskmaster, if you have a stick learn to plink dash. Plink dashing is done by pressing two attacks to dash, canceling that into a normal, then canceling that into a dash (repeat). So something like

l+m xx h xx l+m xx h

The timing is tight (a frame or two iirc) and if you mess it up you'll put out a normal attack. However, the beauty in this is not only does it move you across the stage quickly, but Task's st.H is a pretty good poke and it can option select into webswing, charging star or throw (if you're close). Web swing can cause some ambiguous crossups on short characters, charging star can be safely cancel into arrows/sword sting, and throws = free super.

Another thing I never see Task players do (online anyway) is use his counters. His only good special counter (imo) is the high one (qcb+l). Use this against aggressive, telegraphed moves (Akuma tatsu, zero j.H, all sorts of dive kicks, super skrull orbital grudge, etc) a few time and they'll slow their rushdown allowing you to play an easier zoning game. The super counter works on pretty much anything physical and can prevent chip-outs or crazy crossups (I love countering maximum Wesker and taunting). If they land in the corner after it, you can score a sj xx down legion arrow follow-up.

edit: also, abuse his j.H as it has a large hitbox, decent priority, comes out fast, and can lead to air throws (and free supers)

edit 2: vvv your right about them not having follow-ups, but it seems demoralize online opponents and make them less reliant on bullshit normals (ie zero's j.H)

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 15, 2012

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Taskmaster's counters are kinda bad, don't use them too often unless you are guaranteed the counter. (aka don't use them as guess moves)

The problem with them is that you don't get followups with them, which really sucks... Generally in situations where it's THAT obvious that they're gonna do something you can just hit them with one of your normals instead.

However, you can actually combo off Taskmaster's super counter given the right assists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ROKDaB0Zxw

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Waverhouse posted:

My online is usually somewhere between ok and great but I have fios and xbox. So I guess the answer for everyone bitching about the online is get fios. I haven't played the game on PSN so I can't comment on the difference between PSN and XBL. If I ever get my stick dual modded I'll try it out.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

SpaceBees posted:

I'm guessing you're on Xbox. You can actually do combos on Xbox Live. PSN is really THAT bad.

I play on PSN and I've never had any problems. Must be your location or something.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
I don't have much trouble with combos on the PSN either? I usually just press buttons with the same timing as I do offline and it works out pretty well, just a couple seconds in the future.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Also backing up PSN, played on nothing but PSN for like 4 months and found it perfectly playable, went to offline events and placed well with no trouble (though it's lovely north UK though so no competition really).

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
Is there a trick to following up Taskmaster's Legion Arrow with a short hop Legion Arrow, like in these videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=940dp1_Yb0w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI2BJC-dXqY&feature=related

I play on a stick, and I'm familiar with Taskmaster, but I can never pull it off. Do I just need to suck less?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I think the only trick is to tiger knee the input. So, 2369 + buttons so that you barely jump at all before the hyper comes out.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I'm a PSN user who is simply posting to tell you *not* to play on PSN.

It's a completely different (and much worse) game.

shoryuken.com/forums/regional forums/find people

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...phia-pa.155795/

Anybody going to this? I'll see you there...

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

So I was surfing YouTube for videos and I found this video of this Japanese lobby where apparently everyone had to have Frank West on their team for some reason? Anyways there's some really cool Iron Man and Frank West stuff in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woT6URCsfbw

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I'm not hitting down after the first dash, I'm trying to input cr.L after a double dash (H~M, H~M) and I always seem to get standing H after the second dash. What am I doing wrong?

What I use is more like a wave dash. Meaning after you dash you crouch and quickly dash again. Check this video out, using this I've never had issues getting dashes and moves out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqNfNarLSEE

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've had some questions about movement before, and I notice some other people have had questions as well. Dren gave a good explanation of some thing some pages back, but I've also found this video to be pretty helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l3FJe7oQ7Q

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Chacmool posted:

What I use is more like a wave dash. Meaning after you dash you crouch and quickly dash again. Check this video out, using this I've never had issues getting dashes and moves out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqNfNarLSEE

I've seen this video before, and it's not about using crouch to wavedash at all. :confused: Anyway, if you reread what I wrote, you'll see I'm talking about the kind of plink dashing in the vid, except you don't need three buttons (H~ML), you can do it with two (H~M or M~L). I seem to be loving it up somewhere though, since my inputs of H~M, H~M, d+L result in two wavedashes and a standing H, rather than two wavedashes and a crouching L. Can anyone shed any light?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I've seen this video before, and it's not about using crouch to wavedash at all. :confused: Anyway, if you reread what I wrote, you'll see I'm talking about the kind of plink dashing in the vid, except you don't need three buttons (H~ML), you can do it with two (H~M or M~L). I seem to be loving it up somewhere though, since my inputs of H~M, H~M, d+L result in two wavedashes and a standing H, rather than two wavedashes and a crouching L. Can anyone shed any light?

Marvel's input engine is wonky as hell.
Things that can give you dragon punches with the right timing:
64236-H
f-H xx 68741236-H
f-H xx 874236-H
f-H xx 828236-H
:confused:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Phenotype posted:

I'm trying this now and H~M H~M d+L is working for me on the few times that I get the plink dashing to work. Input display looks like: down-forward, H, down (sloppy input after the gunshot but hey it's working for me), H, M, H, M, down, L. I don't know if you're doing it faster than I am though. Sometimes I'm getting dash then s.H, but never dash dash s.H.

I do LM d LM for my wavedashes normally and that works every time. Is there some reason you insist on doing plink dashing? Just curious.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Help me with Frank West!

I want to do Frank West/Wesker/Dr. Doom for a team that's very good, but I can't really figure out the assists to do.

Everyone has a bunch of otgs, so why use Wesker gunshot? Can the otg gun assist get me multiple pictures in one combo? Would Ghost Butterfly be worth it? I try to level Frank up to 3 in one combo and after that he's OP enough to just let him rock and level up without shenanigans.

I've been using Dr. Doom missiles, because they are great, but so is beam and beam can be used to extend Frank and Wesker combos. The problem is, beam covers the same angle as Frank shopping cart and missiles keep people from running to the top corner of the screen to escape Wesker. Tools of Survival assist can extend the Wesker combo, but it sucks otherwise.

For team order, I've been doing Frank first but that's probably not ideal. You can DHC from air photon array into a whiffed burger attack hyper with Frank and level up to 4 in one combo, but I like keeping Doom on third to do level 3 x-factor Doom Time cancel. X-Factor 3 Wesker is also OP, though, so do you think Doom/Frank/Wesker is the best order?

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
You use gunshot because even if you don't plan to use it to OTG, you can still use it to set up really easy unblockables, and both of Wesker's other assists are rear end. Frank's shopping cart is one of the best assists in the game, the juice assist is awful and tools of survival is mediocre at best. Every Doom assist is good, and it's going to depend on your team and playstyle as to which one you find the most useful, so just mess around with them all for a while if you're not sure.

As for the order, running Frank second is the obvious choice for TACs and DHCs to level him up. Wesker and Doom can both function perfectly well in the first or third slots, so just see what feels best to you.

edit: Oh yeah, you can use XF guard cancel into Wesker's 1 frame command grab, so you don't really need to run Doom last to have a really nasty level 3 XF guard cancel.

Rollie the Guar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 17, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Doom on point, Frank second, and Wesker last seems pretty obvious to me. Use doom to level up Frank, if Frank doesn't get leveled up you have Level 4 Wesker in the back anyway.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Frank West is pretty much the ultimate Middle Man, he has a really really good assist that's good enough alone to throw him on teams, and if he's second it's really easy to level him up fast.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Apparently Iron Man can hit confirm off his beam into a full combo using Rocket Raccoon Log Trap assist. Because his beam is the only one in the game that holds people in place, he's the only character that can do this.

Iron Man/Rocket Raccoon/Deadpool is probably gonna be my new team.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

While plink dashing a s.H will often come out if you don't hit the H~M link fast enough. It sounds like you are trying to do df+H, H~M, H~M, d+L. Turn on your input display and verify that you are not doing something like double tapping H on the second dash input.

H~M vs H~ML
I find H~ML to be more consistent than H~M. The reason H~ML is more consistent is that pressing M and L doubles your chances of hitting the link. Done correctly, H~M will work. However, H~ML is less error prone.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

I tried Rocket Racoon on my team and...eh, he isn't that great on anchor slot. Do you guys have any suggestions for a third character for Iron Man/ Deadpool? Before I would run Sentinel in Anchor slot, and I may just go back to Sentinel if he is the best option.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

SpaceBees posted:

I tried Rocket Racoon on my team and...eh, he isn't that great on anchor slot. Do you guys have any suggestions for a third character for Iron Man/ Deadpool? Before I would run Sentinel in Anchor slot, and I may just go back to Sentinel if he is the best option.
You could always go with Wesker.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SpaceBees posted:

What is your problem with RR? Pretty much any character is dangerous in XF3 so you can kind of pick anyone to be anchor.

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010

SpaceBees posted:

What characters do you like to use and what game are you playing mostly with that team? Rush down, keep away, or a mixture of the two?

If you playing a keep away team you should either add Doom and use missiles or Strider's Vajira, or use Haggar because his assist is still good, not godlike like before.

Using either of these assists will lock down your opponent so they cannot get in to stop your keep away game, with missiles you can spam those characters beams to chip the opponent out when they are in block stun. And with Vajira i believe Iron Man and Deadpool can combo after Vajira hits the opponent in the air, so you can do some good damage off that assist, and with haggar if your fast enough you can still combo after haggar hits your opponent if you hit them before they recover out of it.

If it is rush down your looking for, Drones are the best assist for rushing down in the game, that and Akuma's Tastu are very good rush down assists, you don't need a beam assist because you have Iron Man's Beam.

Give us some more info of what characters you like to help you out with your team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Ever though about using Vergil as an anchor? Although I'm not sure how much meter IM and Deadpool use though and anchor Vergil pretty much needs meter to stay alive.

• Locked thread