Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Ola posted:

Basically real men out-man men using terms like "real men" without using terms like "real men".

I know this gets said a lot around here and all, but you are more eloquent than 99% of the first language English speaking population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I know this gets said a lot around here and all, but you are more eloquent than 99% of the first language English speaking population.

Rare photo of Ola pondering the syntax of the English language at his winter quarters:

Ola reading our posts in Cycle Asylum:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola you got real purdy talkin ways

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Forty Two posted:

I can almost read his numberplate off the reflection of that shined up rear tyre
picard-face-palm.jpg

There's an emote for that :ughh:

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
I know, I was making a stupid meta reference to a filename of a emoticon of an image of a gif of a video.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Forty Two posted:

I know, I was making a stupid meta reference to a filename of a emoticon of an image of a gif of a video.

Ah, gotcha.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Is this an appropriate place to post "stupid poo poo you read on another motorcycle forum"?

quote:

Just a note about galvanic corrosion.

Many people don't know that aluminum is actually a copper based alloy.

So, using copper anti-seize won't give you any or very little/non harmful electrical potential between the bits. You will have more electrical potential between aluminum and stainless-steel than you would with the copper anti-seize.

:psyduck:

(Is it safe to use copper-based anti-seize on steel bolts going into an aluminum housing? I can only find poo poo like that)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

(Is it safe to use copper-based anti-seize on steel bolts going into an aluminum housing? I can only find poo poo like that)

I have no idea, but since you can buy perfectly good aluminum-based anti-seize, why take the chance?

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/2900008511.html

smart craigslist biker chick posted:

In search of a good starter bike... open to a street bike, but hoping to find a rebel or old sportster, something along those lines. Would be great if its already inspected and needs minimal work, but needs to be ride-able! (I don't have a trailer, so inspected or not, i need to be able to ride it home!) I have about $800 cash right now, can come up with upto 200 more if I NEED to. (This has to be total price; title transfer included) I'm a smaller girl, about 5'4" so I don't want a big bike :) Please don't act like I'm stupid either; I may be a girl, but I know what I'm talking about. Don't tell me something is an easy fix when it obviously isn't trying to scam me. Please, send pics if you can and let me know what you've got! I'm also willing to do trade and cash, let me know what you're looking for, I'll tell you if I have it! Some things off the top of my head include... a rockford fosgate amp, baja 10in subs in box, a $250 tattoo gift certificate and a 10 gal fish tank set up with filter, heater and everything needed to start up. I've got tons more, like I said, ask and I'll let you know if I've got it and willing to trade it. I also have a side business for lawn care, so I would be willing to exchange labor as well; I can do all basic landscaping. It's getting nice, I want to get on a bike ASAP!

I'm looking for a beginner bike, like a Rebel or a Sportster, cause they're very similar. Also, I'm not stupid.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

orthod0ks posted:

I'm looking for a beginner bike, like a Rebel or a Sportster, cause they're very similar. Also, I'm not stupid.
She doesn't appear to be, but you do. Also sexist on top of that.

A Rebel and a Sportster are a *lot* more similar to each other than, say, a Rebel and a Ninja 250, or a Sportster and a DR200.

Rebel clocks in with (teh internets varies in figures) 17-25 HP
The sportster 883 has 45.

Both are well under CA's 70 HP Newbie Recommended HP Cap, so I'm really missing your point here...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

orthod0ks posted:

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/2900008511.html

I'll give you my fish tank and rake your lawn for a Rebster.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Offered to trade amp & subs, but no Xbox? :crossarms:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's funny because Craigslist:

:nyd: "Don't you try to scam me!"

:black101: "A challenger arises! Bait the traps!"

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Jabs posted:

She doesn't appear to be, but you do. Also sexist on top of that.

A Rebel and a Sportster are a *lot* more similar to each other than, say, a Rebel and a Ninja 250, or a Sportster and a DR200.

Rebel clocks in with (teh internets varies in figures) 17-25 HP
The sportster 883 has 45.

Both are well under CA's 70 HP Newbie Recommended HP Cap, so I'm really missing your point here...

A Rebel weighs 310lbs vs ~560lbs for a Sportster. A Rebel and a Sportster are also way more similar than a moose and a ceiling fan. If it were a guy and I said 'smart craigslist biker dude' would you be calling me sexist? Unwind your panties.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jabs posted:

I'm really missing your point here...

If it involves a Harley, automatic CA criticism.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

orthod0ks posted:

A Rebel weighs 310lbs vs ~560lbs for a Sportster. A Rebel and a Sportster are also way more similar than a moose and a ceiling fan. If it were a guy and I said 'smart craigslist biker dude' would you be calling me sexist? Unwind your panties.
Here's my point: If it had been someone (anyone, really) looking for "something like a KLX250, DRZ or KLR" I find I need a certain suspension of disbelief to think you would have batted an eyelash, much less posted it.
Aside from the "I'm a girl, but I'm not stupid" bits, it looks (to my eye) like a great gazillion other craigslist posts by people hoping to score a hopelessly good deal. *shrug*

I guess I'm just missing the "WOW, I GOTTA POST THIS" factor?

clutchpuck posted:

If it involves a Harley, automatic CA criticism.
Ah. As you were, then! :v:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Jabs posted:

Here's my point: If it had been someone (anyone, really) looking for "something like a KLX250, DRZ or KLR" I find I need a certain suspension of disbelief to think you would have batted an eyelash, much less posted it.
Aside from the "I'm a girl, but I'm not stupid" bits, it looks (to my eye) like a great gazillion other craigslist posts by people hoping to score a hopelessly good deal. *shrug*

I guess I'm just missing the "WOW, I GOTTA POST THIS" factor?
Ah. As you were, then! :v:

There were a couple things I found funny in the post, and I wanted this thread to come back. No offense intended.

And yea, making fun of Harleys is fun too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

KozmoNaut posted:

I have no idea, but since you can buy perfectly good aluminum-based anti-seize, why take the chance?

Did not know this, thanks. Crappy Tire only carries the copper-based stuff so I guess I'll have to look around.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was laughing at 800 for a sportster but you guys can continue to have a thing

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

nsaP posted:

I was laughing at 800 for a sportster but you guys can continue to have a thing

Not even for an AMF Ironhead in a Rubbermaid container with the electricity shut off, two kids in jail, and a visitor named Vito who wants to have a word or two with you about your gambling problem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

Did not know this, thanks. Crappy Tire only carries the copper-based stuff so I guess I'll have to look around.

Try an industrial place like Motion Industries or acklands.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Marv Hushman posted:

Not even for an AMF Ironhead in a Rubbermaid container with the electricity shut off, two kids in jail, and a visitor named Vito who wants to have a word or two with you about your gambling problem.

So what are the rules on used Harley prices? My local CL is full of 10+ year old bikes (mostly of depressingly low mileage) for drat near new prices, and I never see even the cruddiest horked-up Sportster list under about $4K unless it's literally a pile if parts in a box. Is the idea that the new ones aren't any different, so age is irrelevant? Is the part-out value just really that high? Or are Harley sellers crazy / the Harley badge on anything that desirable?

That CL post is crummy for many reasons, but 'Rebel or Sportster" can include a lot of Jap knockoffs that do depreciate down into that range.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Look in the electrical section for "Noalox." It's aluminum-based anticorrosion paste suspended in conductive grease. I've used it as antisieze before, and it seems to work fine for time spans on the order of a year or so.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Snowdens Secret posted:

So what are the rules on used Harley prices? My local CL is full of 10+ year old bikes (mostly of depressingly low mileage) for drat near new prices, and I never see even the cruddiest horked-up Sportster list under about $4K unless it's literally a pile if parts in a box. Is the idea that the new ones aren't any different, so age is irrelevant? Is the part-out value just really that high? Or are Harley sellers crazy / the Harley badge on anything that desirable?

In my area it seems that most of them start with a lower cost on the bike, but try to get back 100% of their chrome bolt-on parts, plus the shop time paid to have those parts installed.

Doesn't apply just to Harleys, but the depreciation-denial for aftermarket junk seems more universal with cruisers. Cruisers and stretched Busas.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

In my area it seems that most of them start with a lower cost on the bike, but try to get back 100% of their chrome bolt-on parts, plus the shop time paid to have those parts installed.

Don't forget the money they still owe over MSRP because they are upside down on some godawful Harley credit card at 20% or whatever.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'll bet he wants $14k for the table and $500 for the bike....
http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/2901438689.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

That CL post is crummy for many reasons, but 'Rebel or Sportster" can include a lot of Jap knockoffs that do depreciate down into that range.

10+ year old is into the late Evo era, which are desireable, bulletproof workhorses. Those hold their value really well. Around here, the 88 twin cams are the bargains for big twins.

Unless we're talking about Sportys specfically, then ignore me.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Snowdens Secret posted:

Keep in mind that I view the world through Great Lakes glasses, but it seems to go something like this:

$2500 = floor for a roadworthy, kick-only Ironhead.
$4000 = floor for a rubbermount era 883 and slightly beyond.
$5500 = floor for a rubbermount era 1200, drops off beyond that
$7000 = floor for Dynas and Gen 1 V-Rods

Beyond that, I don't really pay much attention. There's been renewed interest in older Ironheads, so they tend to be in the 4K range, depending on how much customization has been done.

You're right, there seems to be market saturation, so you'd wonder why prices wouldn't drop further as a result. I can think of no compelling reason to go to a dealership at this end of the spectrum, beyond financing and warranty protection because, as you point out, the bikes tend to have low miles.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Marv Hushman posted:

Yep, I paid $3500 for my 1500 Intruder. I would've happily bought an Evo Sporty, but couldn't even touch an 883 for that. In February.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
My daft but well-paid friend wants to buy an Ducati Monster 1100 with his only experience riding being about two months on a 78' Honda 750 before blowing it up (didn't change the oil, at all). He doesn't want to the 696 or 796 because only the 1100's frame comes in black. I did my best to convince him this is a dumb idea. We'll see if he does it or not.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Well at least make sure to post before and after pics :smith:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

JohnnyDangerously posted:

My daft but well-paid friend wants to buy an Ducati Monster 1100 with his only experience riding being about two months on a 78' Honda 750 before blowing it up (didn't change the oil, at all). He doesn't want to the 696 or 796 because only the 1100's frame comes in black. I did my best to convince him this is a dumb idea. We'll see if he does it or not.

My ex-wife is learning on a tricked out 796. She's doing just fine, she just goes slow and has no desire to get it anywhere near it's potential. Despite the fact that the engine is crazy, it's a pretty smooth bike that's light and easy to keep up.

It's a 2011 with 700 miles, she got it for 8k. Crazy good price.

As long as he keeps the revs down and doesn't pop the clutch he'll live.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

front wing flexing posted:

My ex-wife is learning on a tricked out 796. She's doing just fine, she just goes slow and has no desire to get it anywhere near it's potential. Despite the fact that the engine is crazy, it's a pretty smooth bike that's light and easy to keep up.

I've heard that in general it's better to learn on a twin of a given displacement than a four, because though they might develop the same power, the twin does it in a linear fashion while the four is sluggish at low RPM but develops a lot of power in a hurry when you rev it up. It's hard for a beginner to predict that kind of response. So a Monster 796 is a better learner's bike than, say, a Daytona 675.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marv Hushman posted:

And for that you could get an EPIC Buell M2 Cyclone or maybe even a XB12S. Seller was asking $4500 for the '06 Uly I'm riding.... all the good sporty parts (engine design), none of the dumpy parts (everything else).

Floor on the M2 is like $3000...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
While looking at cruisers with a friend of mine, the salesman walks up.

"So, you guys like Sons?"
"What?"
"Sons of Anarchy. It's so badass."
"Okay..."
He then climbs up on some Yamaha cruiser, throws his feet up on the pegs and says "Yeah...wish I could live like that."

This all came out of loving nowhere, and also cost him a sale from my buddy. Who seriously says poo poo like that?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
That show's so loving retarded.

It is basically a jerk off fantasy for Harley riders though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

This all came out of loving nowhere, and also cost him a sale from my buddy. Who seriously says poo poo like that?

Well, you were looking at the cruisers, and the majority of that market fit a pretty narrow profile.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
While we're on the topic:

I'm all for customizing your bike to suit your wants, but really? You pour unknown thousands into a ride you use once a month for a bike night at a lovely wing restaurant?

:psyduck:

This ad has also been listed and relisted for going on 9ish months now.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

iwentdoodie posted:

While looking at cruisers with a friend of mine, the salesman walks up.

"So, you guys like Sons?"

Bad form, but at least he walked up. In an HD dealership, there would have been half a dozen people in cubes that might occasionally glance in your direction and go right back to playing Bejeweled. At least I think those are salespeople. If I ran the show, I would flip the place upside down on day one. Half of these idiots have to use the hunt and peck method to type anyway. Blow away the pseudo offices, salesmen make SALES, and the out of sight backoffice wonks run the credit checks and contracts. And when they're not chatting up live customers, they're working the phones and trying to get the Susquehanna PD to switch to HD.

Oi vey, again with the ranting...

I watched exactly one episode of Sons, and for about a week I was overcome with self-loathing and a need to bathe six times a day. My rationale for checking it out had to do with its longevity--if a show makes it to a 5th season and beyond, SURELY it must have some merit, maybe even as a guilty pleasure. Um...a thousand times no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I stopped for gas today, first time filling up since I got the new tank, I had plenty left and still got 4 gallons.

While I was there a guy came up and asked me if I'd sell my bike and before I could answer offered me $1500... When I told him no way he started being a dick and telling me my bike was lovely etc. loving college kids!:fuckoff:

• Locked thread