Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

This fight is so silly. Not in a good way, either.

It's like a jousting match. They run at each other then return to their corner to go again; when really they should just pick someone and get stuck in with them.

We'll see how these next few turns go, but I'd feel pretty bad about rewarding someone who won by hiding in a corner all match. That's not the kind of `Mechwarrior who'll beat the reigning champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

Wouldn't that require them getting out from behind those 2 height walls though?

Tech 2 introduces Clan level 2 Walls :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

^^^ Finally something where the Inner Sphere's bulkier designs are an advantage.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's like a jousting match. They run at each other then return to their corner to go again; when really they should just pick someone and get stuck in with them.

We'll see how these next few turns go, but I'd feel pretty bad about rewarding someone who won by hiding in a corner all match. That's not the kind of `Mechwarrior who'll beat the reigning champ.

It probably is. Someone who plays to win rather than show off is going to hang back whenever doing so won't hurt their chances (like here) and attack when the time's right (like in the championship).

On the other hand, nobody playing here is really looking to be the next Solaris champion, so there's no reason they shouldn't cut loose against each other.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Main problem is LoS is such a tricky thing in this fight that trying to stick to a foe is really hard, as this last turn has shown. Couple that with the fact your dance partner changes every three rounds...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I hope there's a hidden Apollo Theater rule where if you get enough boos a festively adorned Executioner tap dances in and smokes you.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

If someone is without a doubt avoiding contact release an SRM carrier into the arena painted black with white stripes. :flag:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Coming in late with congrats for Poptarts. Can't believe no one is dead yet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

If someone is without a doubt avoiding contact release an SRM carrier into the arena painted black with white stripes. :flag:

I am fully in support of the House Robots enforcer SRM Carriers concept.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Factory collapses, everyone dies.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Needs a different win condition to encourage action. For example: Whoever gets the most rep at the end wins.

There is a big bonus for winning the match, because everyone wants to sponsor the dude in the finals. But you also get rep for killing mechs, doing damage, making the highlights real and being nominated MVP (because these things all get your sponsoring house more spotlight time). Getting killed in a spectacular fashion should also have a big bonus stapled to it because that will also make the highlights reel.

Then sulking in the corner and killing the second last dude will get a good score but lose against say a hatchetman who headcaps a dude with his axe then gets taken out, because that Hatchetman will make the highlights reel, gets a kill bonus and gets MVP. It also makes hiding not so great a strategy because your staking everything on not getting killed.

In this case our sprightly Centurion and Hatchman should be generating heaps of rep because the Camera team isn't going to be watching anyone else. Makes it feel like a real sporting event. While sulking might be the percentage play (as it is in any FFA), your sponsors want you in the spotlight so the camera lingers lovingly on your sponsorship decals while you headcap some guy with your PPC in slow-mo, even if you get gunned down later, it was still worth it.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 15, 2012

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Marauder

I'm just going to chime in that I'm pretty sure these lulls are a mixture of caution and the simultaneous turn system. I mean the Axman and Centurion obviously didn't want to tangle too much at point blank range, but on the other hand I was fine with a fight. Only I had no real way to know how the Axman was going to move, so I had to pick a spot where I could cover a couple of routes without leaving myself completely exposed if the Guillotine moved up. I guessed wrong and didn't get a shot in. Also the danger is kind of ramped way up,make a wrong guess with the Axman and suddenly you get an AC20 to the back. If you look at it both myself and the Catapult have been the ones most willing to mix it up, which might explain the states our mechs are in.

On another note who wants to take bets on how high my odds will soar? 10 to 1? 30? Some kind of imaginary number only the hardcore gamblers in the thread will understand?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Catapult

If I wanted to mix it up that turn, I had two basic choices: go after the pristine Thunderbolt, or drop down to Level 1. The former would have been flat-out retarded in my present condition, and the latter would have meant me abandoning my basic strategy the entire match so far.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Guillotine

I smashed the alpha strike button three times, then A) had to cool down and B) was excessively worried about the Cat getting into my rear arc on his possibly-last turn of engagement, so I wound up out of the way for a bit when he bolted.

The jousting thing is a pretty fair cop for me in particular - neither the Cat nor the Marauder was in any shape to deal with a sustained assault from me but I erred on the side of caution anyway. But so far the only really sustained avoiding of engagement has been the Thunderbolt; the Catapult, the Centurion, and I have all just retreated briefly (I don't think anyone's begrudging the Centurion's mad dash away from the AC20) and/or bet on a pursuit that didn't happen.

And even I did honorable work sandpapering the Catapult's armor for a couple turns. Too bad my SRMs are set to "detonate harmlessly as victory fireworks".

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Did the rules stated every say the teams have to be three on three?

If it just so happened that everyone except for the Thunderbolt ended up on the same team by random chance (aka the house rigging it to make the fight more exciting) then wouldn't that be so terrible for the Thunderbolt? I'm just saying this because I imagine that crowd would be booing and jeering by now in regards to the Thunderbolt, to the point where Solaris would step in to rectify this ratings issue. It's the equivalent of if two boxers were fighting and one just spent the entire match running in circles around the ring after throwing one punch so that "technically" he wins based on points / percentage of punches landed. Sure he might win that fight but he's never going to get another PPV again. And Solaris is a bit more brutal than that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Speak for yourself, that's how I won the final arena match in Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries with a light mech. That and a ton of running away.

super_chair
Mar 13, 2012
This thread is the reason I joined up.

Congratulations Poptarts, that contract is awesome.

Is your novel going to be based on this alternate timeline or do they want you to stick with the main one?

E: If I may make one suggestion, could one of the scenarios be something like this, but with all players restricted to ICE powered IndustrialMechs only? It would probably go pretty quickly due to the lack of armor on all the mechs (especially if you banned heavy industrial armor) and it would involve a bunch of melee combat, which seems to be a crowd-pleaser both in-game and IRL.

super_chair fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 15, 2012

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Peasant farmer/longshoreman/construction worker uprising?

Or maybe a heroic defense by untrained and under equipped militia?

Sounds like fun. Bring on the giant stompy grain threshers!

super_chair
Mar 13, 2012

Nevets posted:

Peasant farmer/longshoreman/construction worker uprising?

Or maybe a heroic defense by untrained and under equipped militia?

Sounds like fun. Bring on the giant stompy grain threshers!

Well, I was thinking more of a pvp-type thing actually, especially since the TechManual (I hate how BattleTech loves CamelCase) seems to imply that melee weapons are actually very common in Solaris VII's arenas. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it, since I'm pretty much just a fan of the tabletop game, although with this contract coming out that's about to change I guess.

I guess I just really want to see a mech grab another mech with its double chainsaws and rip off its arms, or maybe see just what kind of damage a wrecking ball does to Commercial Armor.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
It took 3 days to get in "Everyone holds fire"

Synthorange posted:

Factory collapses, everyone dies.

Seconded

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Sir Lin Davion frowns at every single one of you that think "running away" is not a valid strategy. Do whatever it takes to win, pick an Assault-tier.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I propose that the top floor threatens to collapse and the walls start falling down. I want to see someone get LIT THE HELL UP.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Defiance Industries posted:

I propose that the top floor threatens to collapse and the walls start falling down. I want to see someone get LIT THE HELL UP.

Not two turns after somebody nearly gets legged after successfully landing a hatchetblow in a simultaneous init game, and people are complaining about a lack of action.

It really is hard to please the crowds.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm just saying, too many hexes and cover walls for how far these mechs move and how many there are. It's almost a double-blind game, which I usually play on half the number of maps I would otherwise.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
If you will accept the analogy of a gladiator fight in an arena...

This is pretty much the time to release the lions because the crowd is getting bored.

Sair
May 11, 2007

enigma74 posted:

If you will accept the analogy of a gladiator fight in an arena...

This is pretty much the time to release the lions because the crowd is getting bored.

Release the Goblins!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think people are still trying to win, so yeah, a change in objectives may be in order. Sure, the 'last man standing' technically wins, but I think the real objective is 'take out as many of the enemy as you can, personally, revel in the in-thread glory' and next update it will be changed to match.

Hear that, guys? The person with the most kills wins.

Edit: Even if you're dead at the end of the fight.

Double-edit: The runner up is the person who dies in the most spectacular fashion.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think people are still trying to win, so yeah, a change in objectives may be in order. Sure, the 'last man standing' technically wins, but I think the real objective is 'take out as many of the enemy as you can, personally, revel in the in-thread glory' and next update it will be changed to match.

Double-edit: The runner up is the person who dies in the most spectacular fashion.

Then Activate stackpoling this one match only for GLORY.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clearly I was in the wrong scenario. :suicide:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well I'm glad that wasn't the rule in mine, or the winner would have been that shithawk, Ion Rush.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Keru posted:

Clearly I was in the wrong scenario. :suicide:

Clanners get eternal glory for alpha striking then exploding. Ignore the freebirths! They are without honor!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Bad Moon posted:

Clanners get eternal glory for alpha striking then exploding. Ignore the freebirths! They are without honor!

He speaks the truth. That said, switching from 'cagey wins' to 'no guts, no glory' will help considerably.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Guillotine

What if you sandpaper people's armor off so that other people land the kill? :smith:

I'm not sure how I feel about win conditions radically changing mid-match with extremely marginal prior warning, but I'm not in a boring out-of-the-way corner like the Thunderbolt, so I guess it works.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 16, 2012

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
If you sandpapaer the armor off you better sandpaper all the crits too.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Farseli posted:

If you sandpapaer the armor off you better sandpaper all the crits too.

Centurion

Hey! I'm firing my last LRM10 shot in one of my ammo crits, so I'm down to only 3/4 crits in that torso being explosive.

And AC/20 isn't really a sandpapering weapon.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Turns of fire by each mech to date:
Marauder: 4
Centurion: 3
Catapult: 4
Guillotine: 3
Axman: 2

Actually pretty even, especially if you're forgiving to the Axman's turn of facing in the wrong direction when the Centurion slipped away.

(I tried to add up the damage but I got sort of confused halfway through, maybe I'll do that later; that said, if anyone gets to complain about stripping other people's armor so that other other people get the glory so far, it's the Catapult, because PPCs followed by taking a severe beating.)

I, meanwhile, had two of my three turns roll somewhat subpar to-hit given the numbers required, but the Cat spent most of that time shooting the Marauder, so it worked out.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Everybody needs to not be a baby. You don't get anything from winning. Just give us a good show and have fun doing it.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
If you aren't in combat, I better see some fancy dancing out there. Are there rules for dancing in Battletech?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Turns of fire by each mech to date:
Marauder: 4
Centurion: 3
Catapult: 4
Guillotine: 3
Axman: 2

Actually pretty even, especially if you're forgiving to the Axman's turn of facing in the wrong direction when the Centurion slipped away.

(I tried to add up the damage but I got sort of confused halfway through, maybe I'll do that later; that said, if anyone gets to complain about stripping other people's armor so that other other people get the glory so far, it's the Catapult, because PPCs followed by taking a severe beating.)

I, meanwhile, had two of my three turns roll somewhat subpar to-hit given the numbers required, but the Cat spent most of that time shooting the Marauder, so it worked out.

Centurion gets a boost for going toe to toe with the axman in a david vs. goliath match.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chance II posted:

You don't get anything from winning. Just give us a good show and have fun doing it.

This, pretty much. There isn't a place on the front page for a 'winner,' and everyone's the MVP this time around since this was a new experiment for the LP (and a successful one, I think).

I know how much goons hate to lose, but you really can't in this mission unless you fail to be entertaining.

Think of it like a game of Paranoia: you're all going to die anyway so you may as well make it as hilarious as possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It just feels like the choice is Clever tactical play OR Feeding the audience's insatiable lust for blood: pick one.

I mean, we had complaints this last turn about the Axman and Centurion not staying stuck in to the death (with the Marauder also plinking away at the Axman). And the Centurion's been the consistently best played Mech in the match, doing a pretty impressive amount of damage for its weight while not exploding immediately.

The audience would be plenty entertained by "players blob up on the bottom floor and smash the firing button until everything is dead", but that's not exactly an interesting tactical scenario for the players.

• Locked thread