Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I think the first major DLC is probably going to be on Omega. You'll have to Help Aria take back Omega, maybe get her as a temporary or permanent squadmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008
Okay, big problem I was hoping you guys could help with. I did like 4 missions on Rannoch that all popped up on that planet at around the same time, and since then I have went to the citadel to drop off some artifacts and poo poo to clear my journal. I did my normal rounds and chatted with people and now that I'm back in space I still have Rannoch: Geth Fighters. So I go to the map, and the system for Rannoch isn't highlighted so I go to it anyways because I remember and I don't even have an option to land on the planet when I'm hovering over it. Another quest I have, N7:Fuel Reactors I can land and start it but my object says Meet with Riley. Riley is literally no where in this small room before the radiation starts. Anyone know what the gently caress is going on? Also have the elcor homeworld quest and I even loving scanned the planet and got some artifacts, but no option to land on it to save elcor.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

harskarenjag posted:

Also have the elcor homeworld quest and I even loving scanned the planet and got some artifacts, but no option to land on it to save elcor.

The others I can't help with, but I (and others I've talked to) have also had problems with this quest. Planet's there, but no option to land. No clue why, sorry. Wish I knew!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Count Choculitis posted:

The others I can't help with, but I (and others I've talked to) have also had problems with this quest. Planet's there, but no option to land. No clue why, sorry. Wish I knew!

Because landing doesn't save them. Scan the planet, you get some elcor war thingies, go back to Ambassador and quest completed.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's very likely you just found them randomly while scanning, so it's worth just talking to him again right after you get the quest.

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008
And I'm screwed on the other two? Which happen to be main quests?

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Polaron posted:

Because landing doesn't save them. Scan the planet, you get some elcor war thingies, go back to Ambassador and quest completed.

I did everything I could and scanned my heart out, and it never let me complete it. :(

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Count Choculitis posted:

To break up the SAD TALK of this page, thought I'd share this hilarious/horrifying snippet I overheard between Liara and Matriarch Aethyta:

Do yu have to romance Liara to get those two to talk or did I just miss a sequence somewhere?

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

MadHat posted:

Do yu have to romance Liara to get those two to talk or did I just miss a sequence somewhere?

Nope, it's for everyone. Instructions on getting Aethyta to show up are in the OP:

quote:

Matriarch Aethyta (the asari bartender from Illium in ME2) can be found on the Citadel at the Apollo restaurant in the Commons, but only after completing Citadel: Biotic Amp Interfaces, which you hear about in Huerta Memorial Hospital. This must be done before (spoiler warning) Priority: Tuchanka quest and the events that follow it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

CapnAndy posted:

I haven't gotten to the ending yet, but the... I don't know what you'd call them except moments of grace... those moments scattered throughout the game are transcendant. Liara coming to your quarters to talk about her project, target practice with Garrus. It's an amazing game.
On my playthrough, his son picked up the prayer and then asked me if I wanted to join in, which I did because Thane is a bro to the end. Then I asked Kolyat why Thane needed a prayer if he went out a hero and Kolyat said no, Thane was at peace for the people he'd killed.

That prayer was for you. :cry:

And I'm a male shep, I didn't romance him.

I had my femshep continue to romance him and had the same result, except she asks why the prayer says "she" instead of "he". Personally I woulda chalked that up to generic pronouns in the text and changed it while reading it, but still it was a powerful scene. Further thane spoiler The thane romance wrapped up there. Didn't get credit for the paramour achievement or have a picture of him anywhere, nothing further beyond the "That was for thane, you son of a bitch" that everyone can get.

And holy poo poo at that talk with Garrus after taking the renegade genophage options... just when I thought that section of the game couldn't get any darker.

For the elcor thing I'd scanned early and gotten the elcor before getting the quest to do so, went to the ambassador and it went into a dialogue cutscene that made me scratch my head a bit. It wouldnt let me talk to him right away after that so I went to the bar then zoned right back and it let me turn it in finally.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Count Choculitis posted:

Nope, it's for everyone. Instructions on getting Aethyta to show up are in the OP:

Yeah I had her show up and talked a bit, just never got her and Liara to talk.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DerDestroyer posted:

I think the first major DLC is probably going to be on Omega. You'll have to Help Aria take back Omega, maybe get her as a temporary or permanent squadmate.

Why would I want to help Aria do anything though :confused:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

DerDestroyer posted:

The question is, does Aria become an LI, with a renegade interrupt along the lines of breaking the one rule of Omega?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Edit: never mind answered somewhere else.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Just finished the game.

Loved the journey. I'm sad the series is over. Garrus is my all time space bro and I was really really satisfied with how much he called back to everything and how much close character interaction you got with him, since I used him all the time in every game. Honestly my favorite NPC ever. Wrex is up there too.

My favorite part of the entire series (character interaction spoilers)? Paragon interrupt bro shake with Wrex on Tuchanka. Followed by Garrus and Shepard talking about storming the bar of Heaven together.

All the character interaction on the ship was really neat. Just an incredibly satisfying gaming experience with the whole series and I'm sad to see these characters go. It was a super fun ride.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 15, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Seeing all of these dark scenes remind me of Battlestar Galactica, so I'm really tempted to do a fuckup run down the line.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Count Choculitis posted:

To break up the SAD TALK of this page, thought I'd share this hilarious/horrifying snippet I overheard between Liara and Matriarch Aethyta:

The entire conversation between Liara and Aethyta is absolutely golden. I've always hoped you could reunite them, and that conversation they have is totally worth listening to all of.

MadHat posted:

You don't have to romance Liara. However, if you do, the dialogue between her and Aethyta is even better. Aethyta even has some things to say to Shep if he's romancing Liara. Totally worth seeing.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

PunkBoy posted:

Seeing all of these dark scenes remind me of Battlestar Galactica, so I'm really tempted to do a fuckup run down the line.
It's funny because both of these series had lovely endings that ruin all of the build up to their respective ends. I actually brought this up with a friend today when he asked me to describe the ending to ME3 without spoiling anything so I just described how bad it was watching the ending of BSG but shrunk down to 5 minutes.

CapnAndy posted:

I haven't gotten to the ending yet, but the... I don't know what you'd call them except moments of grace... those moments scattered throughout the game are transcendant. Liara coming to your quarters to talk about her project, target practice with Garrus. It's an amazing game.
On my playthrough, his son picked up the prayer and then asked me if I wanted to join in, which I did because Thane is a bro to the end. Then I asked Kolyat why Thane needed a prayer if he went out a hero and Kolyat said no, Thane was at peace for the people he'd killed.

That prayer was for you. :cry:

And I'm a male shep, I didn't romance him.
This thread is continuously reminding me that I've lost track at the number of times I've choked up along the way.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Aristobulus posted:

The entire conversation between Liara and Aethyta is absolutely golden. I've always hoped you could reunite them, and that conversation they have is totally worth listening to all of.

You don't have to romance Liara. However, if you do, the dialogue between her and Aethyta is even better. Aethyta even has some things to say to Shep if he's romancing Liara. Totally worth seeing.

On the list, my first run was the usual first run through save I had from all 3 games [No LI] now have to go back through with Liara as LI and maybe a Renegade run. May have to go back and rerun ME2 as I do not think I have a save with Liara.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would I want to help Aria do anything though :confused:

Because the alternative is to allow Cerberus to control a massive asteroid colony full of people. At least Aria would maintain some form of order and it's probable that less people would die than under Cerberus control.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

bagrada posted:

I had my femshep continue to romance him and had the same result, except she asks why the prayer says "she" instead of "he". Personally I woulda chalked that up to generic pronouns in the text and changed it while reading it, but still it was a powerful scene. Further thane spoiler The thane romance wrapped up there. Didn't get credit for the paramour achievement or have a picture of him anywhere, nothing further beyond the "That was for thane, you son of a bitch" that everyone can get.

And holy poo poo at that talk with Garrus after taking the renegade genophage options... just when I thought that section of the game couldn't get any darker.

For the elcor thing I'd scanned early and gotten the elcor before getting the quest to do so, went to the ambassador and it went into a dialogue cutscene that made me scratch my head a bit. It wouldnt let me talk to him right away after that so I went to the bar then zoned right back and it let me turn it in finally.

I loved that line from Thane, but then you go back to the ship and Garrus is STANDING AT THE loving MEMORIAL WALL and he talks about how he almost had to shoot Ashley. Doesn't even mention Thane who just loving died. Especially bad for my game where I spent the entirity of ME2 broing out with Thane and Garrus in my party. You think he'd care!

Kind of ruined it all for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DerDestroyer posted:

Because the alternative is to allow Cerberus to control a massive asteroid colony full of people. At least Aria would maintain some form of order and it's probable that less people would die than under Cerberus control.

Can't I just shot both of them? Aria isn't exactly a good person.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Wow. So I think I've found the first part of the game I don't like.

Related to the Geth, when you have to go into that virtual space and deal with the Reaper infection. This is really boring. Very repetitive, no danger, and lasts too long. The only part I like is seeing the history play out.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Count Choculitis posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure you CAN'T take the Renegade Interrupt during this converation.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Aristobulus posted:

For me, the dialogue was the same even in a non-romance run. It was weird hearing Aethyta talking about Liara's panties getting set on fire when Shep is busy bumping uglies with Garrus.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Patrovsky posted:

For me, the dialogue was the same even in a non-romance run. It was weird hearing Aethyta talking about Liara's panties getting set on fire when Shep is busy bumping uglies with Garrus.

That's weird, cause I've definitely had people who didn't have a Liara romance tell me it went differently for them than what I got.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Aristobulus posted:

That's weird, cause I've definitely had people who didn't have a Liara romance tell me it went differently for them than what I got.

I was actually gad to see it because I'd missed the conversation during my first, Liara romancing run. I bet Garrus wouldn't turn down a threesome like whiny old Kaiden :colbert:.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Okay, just finished, so why is everyone butt hurt about the endings?

There were 3 final choices with distinct outcomes, I guess everyone is whining about "lol you basically get to pick the color of the explosion", but that is Shepards last choice in the game, and it affects every living thing in the galaxy, Shepard's story ends with that choice, so, what do they want? like a big 10 minute abloobloo post script or what?

and I chose the synthesis ending of course, best ending, the geth prove that synthetic life is viable and if the merge is the way to end the cycle once and for all, then good way to wrap the series.

Great game, great series, lots of awesome moments and great characters, dunno what the hell anyone else wants.

The arc played out perfectly, from a storytelling point of view. The most dramatic reveals occur at the pitch perfect moments.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Loving Life Partner posted:

Okay, just finished, so why is everyone butt hurt about the endings?

There were 3 final choices with distinct outcomes, I guess everyone is whining about "lol you basically get to pick the color of the explosion", but that is Shepards last choice in the game, and it affects every living thing in the galaxy, Shepard's story ends with that choice, so, what do they want? like a big 10 minute abloobloo post script or what?

and I chose the synthesis ending of course, best ending, the geth prove that synthetic life is viable and if the merge is the way to end the cycle once and for all, then good way to wrap the series.

Great game, great series, lots of awesome moments and great characters, dunno what the hell anyone else wants.

The arc played out perfectly, from a storytelling point of view. The most dramatic reveals occur at the pitch perfect moments.

Well the transhumanism bullshit came out of nowhere. Also no matter which option you choose galactic civilization is hosed without the Mass Relays so pretty much everyone is going to die.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

CJ posted:

Well the transhumanism bullshit came out of nowhere. Also no matter which option you choose galactic civilization is hosed without the Mass Relays so pretty much everyone is going to die.

How did it come out of nowhere? It was telegraphed twice with EDI's metamorphosis and the Geth.

And define "hosed"? There are plenty of local worlds for the populations to inhabit, and the Reaper's are presumably now a part of the galactic civilization with the change, and they possess the knowledge of Mass Relays and that of however many thousands of species they harvested before. I'd say everyone is in good shape.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

There's a whole thread full of reasons why the ending sucks, but I feel like addressing this here becuase you managed to be satisfied with what I consider the worst ending.

Explain what happens in synthesis. Go on, try. You can't, becuase it makes no loving sense.

How exactly does this "merge" benefit anyone? What does it do? You mention the geth as an example but how does this synthesis help them? They've never been organic, they don't want to be organic. Now they are partially organic. But they're software! How does software become organic? Maybe their platforms become organic, but those are just hunks of metal without geth software operating them. Which would mean that lifeless machines are becoming organic. Where is the line drawn? Is the Normandy organic now? Is there a meat mountain?

All synthesis does is put glowly lines on everything. It doesn't address any of the problems the Reapers were working against. A scenario in which the created rebel against the creators is still completely possible in synthesis. There's no explanation for why the Reapers find this satisfying and why it ends the war.

Synthesis makes no loving sense.

I'd say everyone is in good shape.

And you'd be wrong! No really, the Mass Effect twitter has confirmed that one thing is true about all the endings; everyone is hosed.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Synthesis is also pretty loving horrifying. It doesn't belong in ME. It belongs in a sci-fi horror series or something.

Seriously, think about what you are doing to everyone in the galaxy, against their will. It's some "I have no mouth and I must scream" horror.

Nobody else in the galaxy even knows why that happened, or what really happened to them. They didn't get a say in it, just blam they now have robot parts. How does that affect their minds, their health, what does it do to them? The game doesn't say, and I'm having trouble really vocalizing this well, but it just creeps me out and disturbs me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This article and this video posted earlier really do explain very succinctly why the ending of this game is poo poo.

Also, new favorite line from Garrus, regarding Phantoms: "Just like Cerberus to bring a knife to a gun fight!" Garrus I love you.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Patrovsky posted:

Odd, I didn't get any such line myself. I romanced Liara in ME1, then in ME2 romanced Garrus, briefly kissed Liara in LotSB but in ME3 I decided to tell her it was over and went back to Garrus (who incidentally hasn't even had a second romance talk yet, what the hell).

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

stuff

Man how does anything in the ME universe work, relays, "holographic" shields, asari mind melds, the prothean stasis pods; "space magic" has always been in the cards from the start, sufficiently advanced technology yadda yadda, why gripe about this thing?

And I haven't read any twitters, just taking what I see at face value

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I want to burn myself with a car cigarette lighter for putting this question out on the internet for all to see, but whatevs. I romanced Ashley in ME1, got pissed when she was bitchy when I met her in ME2 and rebounded on Miranda. Now in ME3, I plan on going back to Ashley.

So far I have visited her in the hospital. I gave her the Tennyson book, but during the second visit where she complains about Miranda after I tell her I am still into her (Ash), I naturally take the option that says "WTF, you LEFT me on that one planet in ME2?!" instead of the typical upper-right groveling option.

I kind of figure this is a healthy discussion for my virtual Shepard to have with his virtual on-again/off-again girlfriend, but did the game designers? Am I now locked out of this relationship with Ash for ME3?

And on my way out I bumped into Miranda so I kinda have to decide which lady to unlock the Paramour achievement with quickly lest I lose out on my precious achievement. And embarrassing VG sex.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Man how does anything in the ME universe work, relays, "holographic" shields, asari mind melds, the prothean stasis pods; "space magic" has always been in the cards from the start, sufficiently advanced technology yadda yadda, why gripe about this thing?

And I haven't read any twitters, just taking what I see at face value

Are you kidding me? This is your argument to defend synthesis?

I'm not questioning how it works per say, I'm question what it does. What does it accomplish? What does getting glowy bits on everyone do? How does everyone becoming synthetic and organic solve the Reapers core problem of created rebelling against creators? Why does it cause them to leave? There are plenty of synthetic and organic hybrids in Mass Effect. The Reapers and their hybrid soldiers are a mix of synthetic and organic components, but they sure as hell aren't peaceful.

So what exactly does the synthesis ending accomplish? I'm not asking to know how it works, I'm asking to know what it does. Because taking things from face value, it doesn't do jack poo poo other than give everybody glowing lines. None of the problems are solved. The conflict that was going on a minute ago could continue right away. There is nothing holding the Reapers back, and from what I can tell there is no reason for them not to attack again since the problem they are trying to solve has not been solved.

The endings fall apart once you put an ounce of thought into them.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Are you kidding me? This is your argument to defend synthesis?

I'm not questioning how it works per say, I'm question what it does. What does it accomplish? What does getting glowy bits on everyone do? How does everyone becoming synthetic and organic solve the Reapers core problem of created rebelling against creators? Why does it cause them to leave? There are plenty of synthetic and organic hybrids in Mass Effect. The Reapers and their hybrid soldiers are a mix of synthetic and organic components, but they sure as hell aren't peaceful.

So what exactly does the synthesis ending accomplish? I'm not asking to know how it works, I'm asking to know what it does. Because taking things from face value, it doesn't do jack poo poo other than give everybody glowing lines. None of the problems are solved. The conflict that was going on a minute ago could continue right away. There is nothing holding the Reapers back, and from what I can tell there is no reason for them not to attack again since the problem they are trying to solve has not been solved.

The endings fall apart once you put an ounce of thought into them.

It's explained pretty clearly that the synthesis is the next evolutionary step for organic and synthetic life.

Shepard is final piece of a cycle that has run thousands upon thousands of time, literally no organic being has ever made it to his position. The VI that started and maintains the cycle prepared for this event by having a series of choices ready for that special lifeform that finally makes it.

The crucible is finished due to a special property of organic life; their sense of free will, survival, and shared identity with other organics (interacting with prothean tech to get information about the reapers, warnings, and the blueprints for the crucible, carried down from civilization to civilization, passed along and protected like an egg.

The synthesis choice unites organics and synthetics, it imbues synthetics with the best attributes of organics; free will, self, identity, maybe evolution, and organics with the best attributes of synthetics. Most likely tissue regeneration, long lives, bolstered immune systems, etc.

Presumably, no organic life will not be part synthetic, and no synthetic life will not be part organic in that it won't be built into a servitor role that eventually gains will and rebels, it will always have that will. Life in the galaxy will probably more or less go on the same way except that a synthetic threat is no longer viable.

And the Reapers stop attacking because the goal of the cycle is achieved, I'm sure the Guardian VI can throw a switch and introduce new behavior, or, the Reapers can just elect NOT to keep destroying everything, remember EDI's revelation about becoming self-aware in the middle of a crisis on Luna? Imagine how crazy it must be for a Reaper.

I also don't mind that the finale boiled down to the choices that it did. Everyone clamoring for Bioware's head for not "giving them the ending they chose" or whatever should run the logistics of literally having a dozen dozen major choices impact the end of the game, this one dead, that one alive, this choice taken, that one punched. You get to play the whole experience the way you want, the other games had few endings as well, what kind of insane branching system of 800 endings were they expecting for ME3?

dimwitf
Apr 8, 2008

'morning.

CapnAndy posted:

Prominently missing from my memorial wall: Kelly Chambers, which is some bullshit.

There isn't some kind of magical save-state editor, is there? Thane knew a name change was a good idea; I just wanted to be all "Paragon 4-eva" and didn't realize the consequences until all my old saves were overwritten. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

It's explained pretty clearly that the synthesis is the next evolutionary step for organic and synthetic life.

Shepard is final piece of a cycle that has run thousands upon thousands of time, literally no organic being has ever made it to his position. The VI that started and maintains the cycle prepared for this event by having a series of choices ready for that special lifeform that finally makes it.

The crucible is finished due to a special property of organic life; their sense of free will, survival, and shared identity with other organics (interacting with prothean tech to get information about the reapers, warnings, and the blueprints for the crucible, carried down from civilization to civilization, passed along and protected like an egg.

The synthesis choice unites organics and synthetics, it imbues synthetics with the best attributes of organics; free will, self, identity, maybe evolution, and organics with the best attributes of synthetics. Most likely tissue regeneration, long lives, bolstered immune systems, etc.

Presumably, no organic life will not be part synthetic, and no synthetic life will not be part organic in that it won't be built into a servitor role that eventually gains will and rebels, it will always have that will. Life in the galaxy will probably more or less go on the same way except that a synthetic threat is no longer viable.

And the Reapers stop attacking because the goal of the cycle is achieved, I'm sure the Guardian VI can throw a switch and introduce new behavior, or, the Reapers can just elect NOT to keep destroying everything, remember EDI's revelation about becoming self-aware in the middle of a crisis on Luna? Imagine how crazy it must be for a Reaper.

I also don't mind that the finale boiled down to the choices that it did. Everyone clamoring for Bioware's head for not "giving them the ending they chose" or whatever should run the logistics of literally having a dozen dozen major choices impact the end of the game, this one dead, that one alive, this choice taken, that one punched. You get to play the whole experience the way you want, the other games had few endings as well, what kind of insane branching system of 800 endings were they expecting for ME3?

Except Bioware promised last month that we would get an ending based on our dozens of choices. So not only is the ending horrible and you have made no convincing argument why it isnt except 'i like it', but Bioware flatout lied to everyone.

• Locked thread