Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
I like the new Distance Learning mod 1-5. Homework and assignments are due by friday morning instead of having to stay logged on and vegetate infront of your computer on week-ends. It almost makes it tolerable.

In other news, my unit's hosting a platoon of National Guardsmen from Pennsylvania for 2 weeks. I spent the last week-end checking, double checking, triple checking every piece of kit we put in the tobogans for them.

I was a bit horrified when none of them knew how to work coleman stoves or lanterns. Nonetheless, we all had a good laugh at the one guardsman who singed his eyebrows lighting the lantern during a demo. Other than a complete lack of knowledge of winter warfare, they seem switched on and a good group of guys.

We ended up kitting them in all our winter gear; mukluks, parkas, windpants, ect. because everything they had was just so sub-standard. Hopefully, they won't all be stricken with the stupids by the time we join them in the field this week-end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

M. Propagandalf posted:

How long does it usually take for all the administrative work to be done in order for someone to get released?

I am the only RMS Clerk remaining at my unit since 2008, and by summer time, I'll be working with the new chief clerk. Only about a two years ago, we had 5 staff, but it'll be shrinking down to two (myself included). I earned my QL3 in summer 2010, and until recently, I've mainly been doing data entry on HRMS and processing education reimbursements.

Lately though, I've been trying to tackle the growing plague of releases that have yet to be processed. We have members who stopped parading for +2 years since they signed release papers, but apparently not everything that's required from the APM-245 release checklist. There's a guy whose release was requested effective spring of 2010, with the checklist stating everything was OK, but I discovered the voluntary application was missing. A new one has to be sent to the new CO with an effective release date a month from today since backdating's not allowed. I am half expecting to find a member whose release delay will actually push him/her for retirement gratuity entitlement, when they otherwise wouldn't have had it.

Whattup RMS CLK buddy, it took me nearly a year from declaring intention to release to getting my release paperwork, mainly because everything was attempted through e-mail and they had the WRONG loving EMAIL ADDRESS at the ROR. So, instead of trying to, you know, contact me on the telephone, they simply tried to process me as discharge other than honorable. So I called them up a few days before it went through, went loving ballistic on them, and got everything redone.

Mind you, my ROR were a bunch of incompetent fucks.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

MA-Horus posted:

Whattup RMS CLK buddy, it took me nearly a year from declaring intention to release to getting my release paperwork, mainly because everything was attempted through e-mail and they had the WRONG loving EMAIL ADDRESS at the ROR. So, instead of trying to, you know, contact me on the telephone, they simply tried to process me as discharge other than honorable. So I called them up a few days before it went through, went loving ballistic on them, and got everything redone.

Mind you, my ROR were a bunch of incompetent fucks.

I think he meant to fill out the release paperwork admin side. As in him doing the releases. I could be wrong though

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

I think he meant to fill out the release paperwork admin side. As in him doing the releases. I could be wrong though

I know. And it really depends on how switched on the ROR/BOR is. If they're good, 3-4 months. If they suck...Well, it can last a long drat time.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
CFB Esquimalt cutting Blue Boat.

quote:

CFB Esquimalt commander, Navy Capt. Craig Baines, told staff on Thursday that the service would end April 30, forcing about 400 employees to find another mode of transportation between the base and the West Shore.

Gonna guess that the 400-number is a bigtime lowball. Despite what I'm sure is a byzantine public service hiring process, the excuse that they can't find anyone to operate the boats seems awfully flimsy. Yes the commute in Halifax is hellish, too, but this one of those little things that is a big deal to a lot of people. The biggest PMQ farm for the base is on the far side of the water, and the large majority of folks in private residences live in Langford or Sooke or other western communities.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

compressioncut posted:

Gonna guess that the 400-number is a bigtime lowball. Despite what I'm sure is a byzantine public service hiring process, the excuse that they can't find anyone to operate the boats seems awfully flimsy. Yes the commute in Halifax is hellish, too, but this one of those little things that is a big deal to a lot of people. The biggest PMQ farm for the base is on the far side of the water, and the large majority of folks in private residences live in Langford or Sooke or other western communities.

Oh yeah, it's a hellish commute. It took me eleven minutes to get over the bridge during rush hour. Compared to 45 minutes completely stationary on the 407 outside of Toronto. :rolleyes:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

tuyop posted:

Oh yeah, it's a hellish commute. It took me eleven minutes to get over the bridge during rush hour. Compared to 45 minutes completely stationary on the 407 outside of Toronto. :rolleyes:

Are you talking about Halifax? I was just attempting to head off the east coasters, who sometimes can come off as hard done by (which I may be doing too, but am smart enough not to live in the western communities).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

In what loving universe is the 407 EVER stopped up? It's a ludicrously expensive toll road, I've never seen it full.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

compressioncut posted:

Oh wow, I was under the impression it was going to operate until maintenance fees drove it under (and was hoping against hope that it could be salvaged before that). Really, hearing all the poo poo that was going on WRT to parking/traffic while I've been deployed it's been hard to separate the fact from rumour. Was hoping things weren't going to be as bad as I'd heard.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

In what loving universe is the 407 EVER stopped up? It's a ludicrously expensive toll road, I've never seen it full.

Every rush hour, man. Any road leaving Toronto at rush hour really does suck.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Every rush hour, man. Any road leaving Toronto at rush hour really does suck.

Dang, it's been a long time since I've driven on that road. Guess it's changed a bit. It used to be dead, all the time.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Lots of dumb military poo poo happening in BC lately...

Nanaimo slashing claim proves false.

Cornflake private reservist does something dumb is probably one of the less surprising things I've heard lately, all in all.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

compressioncut posted:

Lots of dumb military poo poo happening in BC lately...

Nanaimo slashing claim proves false.

Cornflake private reservist does something dumb is probably one of the less surprising things I've heard lately, all in all.

So.. what the gently caress? Did he shank himself with his gerber and pass it off as an assault?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Me making the fucknose gesture.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Oh god I love the fucknose gesture.

Tom Swift
Apr 11, 2010
Anyone have any idea when BMQ and BMQ-Land dates for the Summer will be posted. I've got just over a month left of classes + exams but not solid dates in terms of training. Also if we're doing a full time Reserve BMQ can one expect time to hit the gym in the evenings? Or is our only PT what the course/schedule programs for us?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Tom Swift posted:

Anyone have any idea when BMQ and BMQ-Land dates for the Summer will be posted. I've got just over a month left of classes + exams but not solid dates in terms of training. Also if we're doing a full time Reserve BMQ can one expect time to hit the gym in the evenings? Or is our only PT what the course/schedule programs for us?

I don't know if it's national or not, but the training booker guy at my unit said the schedule won't be out until some time in April. I am waiting to book BMQ and BMQL too.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Tom Swift posted:

You'll probably have the time, but I know at least in the reg force, you won't be allowed.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Won't be allowed with reserve BMQ either. You'll be CB'd the entire time. Also, you'll do PT every morning and you'll probably get in a lot of push-ups and other physical stuff as punishment. So you should be alright for exercise I guess.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Yeah. Unless you're some kind of fitness nut BMQ will give you enough. If you *are* some kind of fitness nut, be prepared to turn into a whiny bitch and annoy everyone with complaints about not enough lean proteins in the mess hall.

If you're fit enough that BMQ brings your fitness level down, just enjoy being the envy of us lazy-rear end fatbodies.

I mean, unless BMQ has significantly changed. You hear some weird stories.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
I was able to go to the gym during my stay at St. Jean, after week four. Just try and ask in a way that doesn't make it seem like you're not getting enough PT with them.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

mdivi posted:

I was able to go to the gym during my stay at St. Jean, after week four. Just try and ask in a way that doesn't make it seem like you're not getting enough PT with them.

They'll let you know if you can. Thinking back we got to go after week four as well. Personally, I feel that if you don't ask and they don't say you can't, do it. If you get caught, you guys will get a bit of cock but nothing too serious.

Tom Swift
Apr 11, 2010
Ok thanks guys, good to know. Yea just a little bit of a fitness nut, first BFT ever did around 75lbs of kit. Do a lot of Strength & Conditioning. I guess it won't be that bad, might lose some numbers on my lifts but can always regain those.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

poo poo, let the instructors know (When you're not in formation) that you enjoy lifting and working out as a hobby, they're not gonna give you cock for that. The only thing they MIGHT do is have you help with people that aren't quite as good, help keep them motivated and going forward. Team-building and the sort.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Welp. The Victoria class has now fired torpedoes under Canadian ownership. First time a Canadian boat used the nanoose range since 76.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Career courses for reservists come down the pipe in Late April/early May because the new fiscal year starts in April. Lots of money to burn.

As recruits, you'll most likely be offered something that begins either in late May or early June. Sometimes it's mid July if you already have SQ under your belt.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
If I was to put in my CT right now into the regforce, in order to have it done well ahead of time (Im looking to CT within a year to a year and a half once Im done my degree), and they do offer me a position and I turn it down, will this reflect poorly on the next time the positions open up? Whats the time frame I should look at then when to put in a CT?

Also, I am currently rehabbing from an injury, doing physio etc. Right now Im not allowed to do anything in the field, PT etc. As per my surgeon I'll be fully cleared in June. Should I wait to officially put in my CT for once Im fully cleared (to avoid any hassles with my injury being a factor) or does it not hurt to just start it right now since Ill be cleared in June anyways? Im talking to my Chief Clerk about all this of course but Im curious if anyone here has any insight, Im an infantry NCM reservist looking to CT into Comms Rsch or Int Op.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

swagger like us posted:

If I was to put in my CT right now into the regforce, in order to have it done well ahead of time (Im looking to CT within a year to a year and a half once Im done my degree), and they do offer me a position and I turn it down, will this reflect poorly on the next time the positions open up? Whats the time frame I should look at then when to put in a CT?

Also, I am currently rehabbing from an injury, doing physio etc. Right now Im not allowed to do anything in the field, PT etc. As per my surgeon I'll be fully cleared in June. Should I wait to officially put in my CT for once Im fully cleared (to avoid any hassles with my injury being a factor) or does it not hurt to just start it right now since Ill be cleared in June anyways? Im talking to my Chief Clerk about all this of course but Im curious if anyone here has any insight, Im an infantry NCM reservist looking to CT into Comms Rsch or Int Op.

Yea turning it down will make you look bad unless there are extenuating circumstances

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I disagree that it will reflect poorly on you at all. It's not like you hurt the CF's feelings by doing so - they just go to the next name on the list. That said, CTs seem to be taking a looooong time (in my third-hand experience), so turning down an offer might be turning down a rare opportunity.

Also, I don't recommend IntOp at all. My former job sort of made IntOps, and the only guy I know who has any job satisfaction as one is an autistic idiot who quite literally had to do every course in his career twice (including his initial IntOp QL). CommRsch has more appeal and I have at least met some dudes who like it - but start your TS clearance immediately, if possible.

Also, the "don't enlist with a degree" advice applies here. Not as acutely as in US forces, but it really might be in your interest to explore some DEO options.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

swagger like us posted:

The most they'll do is tell you to come back when you're better. Those trades are probably not open though, especially for a ct.

Just got the new trade reassignment list two days ago, only Wpns tech, ammo tech, eo tech, signaller, and plumber are open right now. You might have better luck releasing and reapplying as reg force.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
The reassignment list is a lot more restrictive than CT/COT/VOT/AVOT etc. Reassignment is the "gently caress you if you don't like it" list.

I'm quite certain IntOp is OT only, no direct entry.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
In other news, your annual PLD panic http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012...g-differential/

I have no idea how this will fly if true. I suspect it might be the end of Mackay at the very least (even though no policy decisions come anywhere but from the PMO).

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

We were always told if you put your name in for something then turn it down when it's offered they will think twice when offering it to you again.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

compressioncut posted:

In other news, your annual PLD panic http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012...g-differential/

I have no idea how this will fly if true. I suspect it might be the end of Mackay at the very least (even though no policy decisions come anywhere but from the PMO).

I almost hope it does go away (albeit over a couple years). Having it constantly hanging over your head that a major portion of your pay (Victoria) is in danger of going away every year sucks.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

If you're interesting in Int and comms research, have you considered CSIS? It's the same line of work with better pay and work conditions. Doesn't take much to get in either, generally speaking.

Furthermore, I wouldn't worry about it reflecting poorly on you if you change your mind about a CT. This isn't like you put your name in for a jump course, got slotted in, and backed out at the last moment. Think of it as an offer of employment; the same as any contract.

On average, at my unit, it's been taking guys roughly a year to CT into the regs and we have a BOR that's on the bounce when it comes to these kinds of things. My own transfer into the reserves took 6 months to process.

And in all seriousness go officer or go home if you're switching to the regs, especially with a degree.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Barrakketh posted:

Doesn't take much to get in either, generally speaking.

Really? I have a family member in CSIS and this isn't what I've heard at all.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
------

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 1, 2013

Tom Swift
Apr 11, 2010
@swagger like us I have a goal of CSIS as well or US State Department type contracting in the intel field. I tried ROTP for IntelO but didn't make it they have like 1 spot a year in that program maybe, working on a Poli Sci degree right now at one of the bigger Universities so that should help in the future.

I know a lot of Reservist infantry guys end up getting into Intel especially on tours, and can get posted to CANSOFCOM.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Tom Swift posted:

@swagger like us I have a goal of CSIS as well or US State Department type contracting in the intel field. I tried ROTP for IntelO but didn't make it they have like 1 spot a year in that program maybe, working on a Poli Sci degree right now at one of the bigger Universities so that should help in the future.

I know a lot of Reservist infantry guys end up getting into Intel especially on tours, and can get posted to CANSOFCOM.

Well maybe thats why, I also tried for ROTP for IntO and they told me there's only a few slots a year. I imagine with DEO there would be more available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
If they actually got rid of PLD I would be so broke. So broke.