Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

VietAssRapeFuckBros posted:

Has anything more concrete than "Sometime in Q2" materialized for the Transformer Infinity?

I've seen some places claiming June, and others, like Gizmocanada claim April 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

explosivo posted:

Well poo poo, my (rooted) Fire definitely has some burn in going on at the bottom of the screen where the ICS notification bar is. I noticed issues with ghosting on the screen but it usually goes away. Has anybody else with a Fire had any burn in problems?

Burn-in on LCDs is literally unheard of anymore. That being said, this image retention issue is common enough you can find people complaining about it on Google. Apparently Amazon is pretty good about replacing them, so it might be worth calling and asking for a replacement.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I saw that too. Damnit. Guess I'll have to unroot this thing and send it back :smith:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Asus support just blows my loving mind.

For context, alot of prime users are having the glass crack on their devices with no signs of impact. Just a nice big crack across the display.

quote:

Just received the following response to an email I sent ASUS 10 days ago (05 March) regarding my cracked TF201 screen (details posted previously) and my dismay that the local Australian service centre claimed all cracks are CID and would cost AUD $400 to repair:

------------------
Dear valued customer
Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Service

Many apologies. So would you please install the latest version of ICS(ice cream sandwich) for a try. If the problem still exists, I suggest you to reinstall the operating system. If you could not solve the problem yet, I am afraid that you have to send the pad to RMA if you want to use this pad properly in the future. As for the replacement or refund, you can contact the RMA to discuss or debate with them, maybe under the warranty policy, you can win this arguement. Many apologies again.

Hopefully, you can solve this problem after my suggestion. I wish any inconveniences which coursed by me could be understood by you. If you have any problems, please contact our ASUS Technical Service without hesitations.

Take care and have a good day!

Best Regards
Elmer
-------------------

quote:

UPDATE: Wow - I wish Elmer had been right. Just heard back from DingoTech (the Aussie service centre) after attempting repeatedly to contact them. Not surprisingly they deemed the cracked screen as "physical damage - out of warranty" and want either $412.50 to have it repaired or $150.00 to return the unit to me un-repaired (this to cover a $100.00 inspection fee and $50.00 shipping costs).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

UPDATE: Wow - I wish Elmer had been right. Just heard back from DingoTech (the Aussie service centre) after attempting repeatedly to contact them. Not surprisingly they deemed the cracked screen as "physical damage - out of warranty" and want either $412.50 to have it repaired or $150.00 to return the unit to me un-repaired (this to cover a $100.00 inspection fee and $50.00 shipping costs).

I hope this results in some sort of law suit against them. Treating customers like poo poo and having them never buy your products again isn't good enough for this sort of service.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shmoogy posted:

I hope this results in some sort of law suit against them. Treating customers like poo poo and having them never buy your products again isn't good enough for this sort of service.

Yea, $150 is pretty excessive for looking at the screen, seeing its cracked, and sending it back.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Asus support just blows my loving mind.

For context, alot of prime users are having the glass crack on their devices with no signs of impact. Just a nice big crack across the display.

That is stunning. Asus needs to get this poo poo under control for real. That's embarrassing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yet another reason to specifically warn people away if they come to you for buying advice. Thats unbelievably lovely, has anyone in the uk had any experience with their rear end in a top hat policy conflicting with our consumer rights act?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

explosivo posted:

Well poo poo, my (rooted) Fire definitely has some burn in going on at the bottom of the screen where the ICS notification bar is. I noticed issues with ghosting on the screen but it usually goes away. Has anybody else with a Fire had any burn in problems?

I had burn in problems on stock as well. Despite how good the screen looks, they definitely skimped out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did anyone else get a system update for their TF101 yesterday? I'm trying to figure out what changed (I had already installed the ICS update)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Fyi for anyone interested, my Transformer (original) is for sale, just trying to save up cash:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472570

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
Do you really think the screen just randomly cracked?? That sounds quite suspect and most likely user error.

Whoops, I dropped my gadget with a glass screen and it cracked. NEW ONE FOR FREE PLEASE!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I wouldn't touch that part of it, but the recommendation of updating the OS to fix it still stands as retardedly bad customer service.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

explosivo posted:

Well poo poo, my (rooted) Fire definitely has some burn in going on at the bottom of the screen where the ICS notification bar is.

Ethereal posted:

I had burn in problems on stock as well.
Image persistence on an LCD screen is usually fixable.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

Do you really think the screen just randomly cracked?? That sounds quite suspect and most likely user error.

Whoops, I dropped my gadget with a glass screen and it cracked. NEW ONE FOR FREE PLEASE!

Cracks from being dropped dont usually look like this.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
You're right, those usually are from being bent in a bag or sat on.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ModestMuse posted:

Applecare would have done this. Although if it was user error, it wouldn't be free but it certainly wouldn't be $150 either.

Edit: I mean it wouldn't have been $400. Holy moley, ASUS.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 15, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

You're right, those usually are from being bent in a bag or sat on.

The speculation is that its from the dock.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi for anyone interested, my Transformer (original) is for sale, just trying to save up cash:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472570

You couldn't have cleaned it up a bit before taking the picture?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

The speculation is that its from the dock.

Can you go into detail on that? I know about a billion laptops over the years have died at the hinge but I'm not familiar enough with how the dock's attached to the Transformer to figure out how damage like those photos could happen.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

Can you go into detail on that? I know about a billion laptops over the years have died at the hinge but I'm not familiar enough with how the dock's attached to the Transformer to figure out how damage like those photos could happen.

Here is the thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1530660

They think when you close it the hinges that lock in are putting pressure on the display.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ModestMuse posted:

Yours truly,
Asus Customer Support

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

C-Euro posted:

Did anyone else get a system update for their TF101 yesterday? I'm trying to figure out what changed (I had already installed the ICS update)

I got it. From what I understand it's to help with the random crashing and shutdowns.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IT Guy posted:

You couldn't have cleaned it up a bit before taking the picture?

Apparently not.

Edit: Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking, but posting a picture like that was retarded. I at least cleaned it and took another shot.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 15, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Looks a hundred times better now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toady posted:

Looks a hundred times better now.

And apparently people on craigslist don't give a poo poo, I have the thing sold in about 3 hours. Not going to miss it. ICS runs pretty bad on it, its just too frickin buggy.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 15, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Duckman2008 posted:

And apparently people on craigslist don't give a poo poo, I have the thing sold in about 3 hours. Not going to miss it. ICS runs pretty bad on it, its just too frickin buggy.

Just wait. You're going to show up at the meet spot and he won't have $400, all he'll have is $150 and some golf clubs he wants to trade you for it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

IT Guy posted:

Just wait. You're going to show up at the meet spot and he won't have $400, all he'll have is $150 and some golf clubs he wants to trade you for it.

He will also rape you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

He will also rape you.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for just the golf clubs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rastor posted:

Image persistence on an LCD screen is usually fixable.

Wow, this is a really good idea! Trying it now, thanks!

Edit: Is there a way to hide the ICS notification bar? Or view an image completely fullscreen? Every image viewer I have still keeps the bar at the bottom of the screen.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 15, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Secret Sweater posted:

I got it. From what I understand it's to help with the random crashing and shutdowns.

Thank goodness, I was starting to get annoyed with all my icons vanishing.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Shmoogy posted:

Treating customers like poo poo and having them never buy your products again isn't good enough for this sort of service.

Except people ARE still buying their products(1)

(1) Forum, Something Awful: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461482

I mean, people in here are going "Sure Asus just pulled features off of the box and I have to run wire through my HDMI port to get wifi to work and they're claiming that I never sent them my RMAed tablet when I have a receipt saying I did...but the Transformer 201 looks great so I'm gonna buy it!!!!!" The only way they're going to lose sales is if people actually back up their talk and stop buying their poo poo.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Proteus4994 posted:

Except people ARE still buying their products(1)

(1) Forum, Something Awful: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461482

I mean, people in here are going "Sure Asus just pulled features off of the box and I have to run wire through my HDMI port to get wifi to work and they're claiming that I never sent them my RMAed tablet when I have a receipt saying I did...but the Transformer 201 looks great so I'm gonna buy it!!!!!" The only way they're going to lose sales is if people actually back up their talk and stop buying their poo poo.
What are you talking about, the transformer is great. Works for me. Suits my needs. You know there are people who actually like the transformer, crazy I know.

Can we get back to the topic of how great android tablets are and ignore these yospos trolls?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

My Linux Rig you've got over 360 posts in the Android Laugh Factory thread in YOSPOS.

You know despite what YOSPOS thinks we do poo poo on manufacturers for providing crummy products and/or service. It's not all crummy or we wouldn't be here.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Rastor posted:

My Linux Rig you've got over 360 posts in the Android Laugh Factory thread in YOSPOS.

You know despite what YOSPOS thinks we do poo poo on manufacturers for providing crummy products and/or service. It's not all crummy or we wouldn't be here.

OK, look. I know this was addressed at MLR but I also post in YOSPOS and, at least for me, this isn't some sort of "us versus them" thing or even a "I want to fit in" thing. It's more that I have issues with the attitude of "works for me!" in here. Even if <vendor> <product> works for you, frequent and common reports about the build quality of a device and the customer service of its manufacturer should be dissuading you to buy another tablet from them.

The more you buy from them, the better chance this poo poo is going to happen to you, and then you too can write up a long post about how <vendor> hosed you only to watch other people ignore it and buy the poo poo product anyway.

I don't have anything against Android, but it's hard to read a bunch of people (not saying you specifically) ignore the track record of a company and drool over the next half-baked piece of poo poo that fills more checkboxes on a spec sheet without saying something.

Edit: And I apologize for derailing but I really hate seeing companies supported when they really don't give a gently caress about putting out a quality product (or supporting it for longer than six months until the next thing comes out). And unfortunately this seems to apply to the vast vast majority of Android tablet manufacturers.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 16, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Proteus4994 posted:

Edit: And I apologize for derailing but I really hate seeing companies supported when they really don't give a gently caress about putting out a quality product. And unfortunately this seems to apply to the vast vast majority of Android tablet manufacturers.

Well.

I mean, I agree, but you're also describing probably 95% of all manufactured goods consumed in the world. Bit of a windmill, there.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

Well.

I mean, I agree, but you're also describing probably 95% of all manufactured goods consumed in the world. Bit of a windmill, there.

To some degree this is true, but companies rarely ever whip out their dick and piss all over your face in quite as much of a brazen way as Asus seems to do.

In my opinion, the moment they decided to line through GPS as a feature because they couldn't bother to be asked to delay launch for a month to get a feature that they promised to work would have been the moment I would have been too appalled to even consider getting a tablet from them ever again. And that's BEFORE the reports of downright abuse by customer service and build quality issues.

I don't think you can say THAT'S true for 95% of all manufactured goods in the world.

Edit: A Google search seems to indicate that they released a patch to fix GPS or something? If so, kudos to them but that's still too little too late imo.

Edit 2: vvvvvvvvvvvvv

ModestMuse posted:

The GPS doesn't work... If that's something you need in a wifi tablet, then don't buy it

Pretty sure you missed my entire point.

Also I don't hear these customer service horror stories about other companies. At least not in the quantity I seem to about Asus.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 16, 2012

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
I just don't get this vitriol toward devices based upon XDAs experience. You act like ASUS is some type of shithole company that only makes crap. I can't tell you the actual numbers, but I don't think the Prime is as lovely of a tablet as a hand full if XDAers think. I have had no issues with mine and still think it's a great device, maybe a little overpriced compared to the competition starting tomorrow.

The GPS doesn't work... If that's something you need in a wifi tablet, then don't buy it, but to call for a boycott because people sat on their tablet and the screen broke sounds a bit extreme.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Star War Sex Butt posted:

By your logic Apple didn't have anything "fresh" either.

The Xoom and original Transformer were on the market for the holidays.

The majority of B&M retail stopped getting shipments of the Xoom in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Proteus4994 posted:

To some degree this is true, but companies rarely ever whip out their dick and piss all over your face in quite as much of a brazen way as Asus seems to do.

In my opinion, the moment they decided to line through GPS as a feature because they couldn't bother to be asked to delay launch for a month to get a feature that they promised to work would have been the moment I would have been too appalled to even consider getting a tablet from them ever again. And that's BEFORE the reports of downright abuse by customer service and build quality issues.

I don't think you can say THAT'S true for 95% of all manufactured goods in the world.

Edit: A Google search seems to indicate that they released a patch to fix GPS or something? If so, kudos to them but that's still too little too late imo.

Edit 2: vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Pretty sure you missed my entire point.

Also I don't hear these customer service horror stories about other companies. At least not in the quantity I seem to about Asus.

I'd argue Samsung gives them a run for the money.

Honest question: did I miss Asus being a company that makes poor computers? Their PCs always seemed to get good reviews, I liked the ones I used, hence the thought process "oh hey, they might not gently caress up a tablet." I'm agreeing 100% that they did gently caress it up, I just didn't think they had poor support history like Samsung and others do.