Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The references in that video were just a reminder of all the little things you wouldn't necessarily get from just following the comic itself - blitzing chakras? Formspring and Tumblrs? Tiny dice? Cat on shoulder? You could show this to someone who's just a fan of the comic but has no contact with any other fans or anything else Hussie does (do people like this exist?) and they wouldn't get most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Wrist Watch posted:

If I were Hussie I'd make a point of it to blow an insignificant amount of money (compared to what the comic generates regularly) on something I always wanted from my childhood too.

Like buy an entire crate of Jawbreakers and try to recreate this:

:colbert:

Ever had a jaw cramp? you're gonna want to kill yourself if biting down on jawbreakers with all your force unwillingly doesn't do it.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Dolash posted:

(do people like this exist?)

The only reference in your post that I get is that Hussie deleted his Formspring some time back, So yeah I guess I am this person, hi there.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Yeah I have no idea what the tiny dice refers to. And is the cat on shoulder referencing that one picture of him? Is that really a "thing"?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah having pretty much just read the comic, and then only recently, I miss out on most of the references in the video. I have no doubt they're things that happened, but I wasn't there for them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nighthand posted:

Yeah having pretty much just read the comic, and then only recently, I miss out on most of the references in the video. I have no doubt they're things that happened, but I wasn't there for them.

- The Chakra thing was when a bunch of MSPA fans gave Hussie money to pay some lame con-artist to make a 'soul image' of Hussie, which is where you gently caress around with a picture in photoshop until it supposedly shows their true-self or whatever. Hussie got the money, but then decided to just do the picture himself. He then promised to spend the money on Olive Garden, which was a whole other adventure in itself. Read here.

- The Terrible Painting that was bought was of a football player fighting a horse. It is just as terrible as you can imagine. Again, readers pooled money so Hussie could get this. It has appeared in the comic. Need for the Steed

quote:

Everything about this painting is loving amazing. Oakland Raiders linebacker Bill Romanowski fending off a wild, flaming black steed, in a mystical snowcapped mountain setting. I don’t know if it’s the concept alone, which itself is obviously mind-blowing. Maybe it’s also the curious, vaguely-humanoid musculature of the horse. It has a man’s bicep and triceps, and some very suspiciously man-like back muscles. Or maybe it’s the flaming mane, which on closer inspection, doesn’t resemble flame so much as synthetic orange puppet hair. This steed is either from hell, or has recently escaped Fraggle Rock, and is ready to tear the entire NFL a new rear end in a top hat. But he didn’t count on bumping into Bill Romo (understandably, since he was bucking around the middle of the damned Himalayas).

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

JamJars posted:

Good lord this has been a productive week for the fandom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksdhHUGeDAA

The best part about this is the 'GET A TUMBLR, CRY DEEPLY' bit.

re: Dolash-- you know now that you mention it, I legitimately don't recall anything about cats on shoulders, and I've been following the fandom for a while. Maybe it's half a fandom thing and half a 'following anything this dude ever does or says anywhere on the internet' thing. For example, I didn't have a clue about the fancy santa or Muppet Saw comics when the references to them first came up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There is a photograph of him somewhere with a cat on his shoulder. That's really all there is to it.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Walliard posted:

I've always wondered whether Andrew would find a way to work Medium into the comic.

Man, I'd dance like a kid on Christmas if he ever finds a way to work in any of those songs. It's still one of my favorite albums.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

YggiDee posted:

There is a photograph of him somewhere with a cat on his shoulder. That's really all there is to it.

As long as I'm posting photos...

Cat:

Hussie has the same tattoo as Dirk:

These are all off simple google searches. I'm not a Husstalker.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

JamJars posted:

Good lord this has been a productive week for the fandom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksdhHUGeDAA

This would have been a lot better if it was longer. There are still a lot of crazy cool things Hussie has done that could have been added.

Wizardology, humanimals, the Olive garden.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Here's an interesting tumblr writeup by a fan on just how the dialogue has subtly changed (as remarked a few posts above).

A snippet:

quote:

I know it sounds stupid and petty, but I really admire the way Hussie’s writing the dialogue currently to distinguish it from the Pesterlogs. I noticed this during the first intermission too, but it’s even more obvious in the latest update. Both Rose and Dave (and to an extent Kanaya) talk slightly differently in person to the way they do over Pesterchum.

I think it's a compelling point, though the sample size right now is admittedly small. Hussie has a strong enough ear for voice that I wouldn't put this down as coincidence just yet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bobulus posted:

I'm not a Husstalker.

I know what you meant by this, but my brain in all its wisdom decided to parse it as a synonym for Husswhisperer.

Incidentally, The Huss Whisperer is a poorly produced ironic internet film I would totally watch.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Bobulus posted:

- The Terrible Painting that was bought was of a football player fighting a horse. It is just as terrible as you can imagine. Again, readers pooled money so Hussie could get this. It has appeared in the comic. Need for the Steed

Besides showing up directly, haven't poses been based on it a few times? I could swear I remember a scene that looked almost just like this (with carapaces maybe?)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Idunn posted:

Yeah I have no idea what the tiny dice refers to. And is the cat on shoulder referencing that one picture of him? Is that really a "thing"?
From twitter, one time Hussie was at the store and by the register was a big bin of hundreds and hundreds of tiny dice that cost a couple cents each. He counted out a shitload of them and bought them.

https://twitter.com/#!/andrewhussie/status/48174121745530881

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Miracon posted:

Besides showing up directly, haven't poses been based on it a few times? I could swear I remember a scene that looked almost just like this (with carapaces maybe?)

One of the track images on vol. 8 was similarly posed, at least:
http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/calamity

OwlbearHug
Sep 14, 2011

I see you're not paying attention to me...
I don't usually read Homestuck anymore because of story choices I didn't really agree with... Yeah- I'm a little baby, but I like to give him a chance and check on it every so often.

Kanaya is pretty awesome, gently caress Gamzee. I was really disappointed when he didn't get what he deserved but hopefully its coming up. Gamzee and Scorpio chick are the worst things ever.

Just had to sperg for a moment.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Here's an interesting tumblr writeup by a fan on just how the dialogue has subtly changed (as remarked a few posts above).

A snippet:

I think it's a compelling point, though the sample size right now is admittedly small. Hussie has a strong enough ear for voice that I wouldn't put this down as coincidence just yet.

Kanaya's dialogue is also different as well now that she's speaking. From the little bit in yesterday's update, her sentences are a lot more condensed than the wordy ones she used to use over Trollian. Her "well uh...gently caress that guy" bit is something I'd never expect Kanaya to say when she was still chatting.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

OwlbearHug posted:

I don't usually read Homestuck anymore because of story choices I didn't really agree with... Yeah- I'm a little baby, but I like to give him a chance and check on it every so often.

Kanaya is pretty awesome, gently caress Gamzee. I was really disappointed when he didn't get what he deserved but hopefully its coming up. Gamzee and Scorpio chick are the worst things ever.

Sorry, Vriska is pretty much the best character and there's no two ways about it!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

OwlbearHug posted:

Just had to stop in here and say that you're basically wrong about everything ever and if you told me grass was green I'd probably be suspicious and go take a look.

Also now I think Kanaya sucks just because I think you're so wrong.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Guys, can we please not do this "my opinion is better than your opinion!" thing every time someone so much as hints they dislike someone in the story? I think Vriska makes a great character, but that doesn't mean being all snarky to people who disagree with me is a particularly mature way to act.

It's also important to recognize that Vriska is a great CHARACTER even if she is/was kind of an awful person. It's understandable to disapprove of her actions in the story while still approving of her place in the plot. That and she showed signs of redeeming herself in some ways, so she wasn't just plain bad in a black/white sense. Very complex and interesting, really.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It's probably not coincidence. Something I remember on Hussie's very first Formspring (I think, might have been the second) was someone linking him to someone voice acting a pesterlog. Andrew mentioned that he didn't really like voice acted pesterlogs because it isn't actually spoken dialogue. He also mentioned that if he were to create direct dialog between the characters, it would likely be different.

Edit: I went and found it. I screwed up a few details, but still the message is the same:

Andrew's formspring posted:

Have you heard any of the fan voices for characters? If so, what do you think?

I've heard a few and some are pretty good, but honestly I have trouble listening to even good ones. For some reason none of the pesterlogs feel right to me as real dialogue. This is probably because they were always meant to be true to life chat logs, typed not spoken. If I were writing what was meant to be spoken, I would write quite differently.

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 15, 2012

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Are all the sprites and tile art ripped from video games? I recognize the Instant Revitalizing Device and the note pad from Chrono Trigger. :spergin: The record player and maybe the candles are from Final Fantasy VI. :spergin: :spergin: The crate and cans in the bottom-right corner has Chrono Trigger's colour palette, but does anyone recognize anything else?

Also, I'm really enjoying watching the trolls and humans interact with each other. The characters seem unphased by a lot of things (like whole planets being wiped out), but it's satisfying that Kanaya shows resent for Gamzee.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eggie posted:

I recognize the Instant Revitalizing Device and the note pad from Chrono Trigger. :spergin:

The crate and cans are definitely CT, and the bookshelves are too, but assuming you're talking about the thing Dave's looking at now, that's not an Enertron; it's a thing from Earthbound which I would think someone with your avatar should recognize :colbert:

e: nevermind, misread your post. The bookshelves are from Zeal! :spergin:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As far as I can tell, everything in that shot that wasn't in the original walkaround flash is ripped from some game or other.

OwlbearHug
Sep 14, 2011

I see you're not paying attention to me...

Waffnuffly posted:

It's also important to recognize that Vriska is a great CHARACTER even if she is/was kind of an awful person. It's understandable to disapprove of her actions in the story while still approving of her place in the plot. That and she showed signs of redeeming herself in some ways, so she wasn't just plain bad in a black/white sense. Very complex and interesting, really.

Oh yes, I agree. When a character is able to make you feel things such as anger, pity, even something as strong as antipathy I know he/she is well done. I appreciate that she did try to do a little good and had a lot of her own demons to deal with.

I didn't intend for this to be a serious discussion since i just mentioned her in passing.

I like to think, at least outside of the MSPA forums, that the frothing devotion from her fans is mostly fabricated/ironic.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

OwlbearHug posted:

I like to think, at least outside of the MSPA forums, that the frothing devotion from her fans is mostly fabricated/ironic.

Haha, you'd hope so, but having seen earlier incarnations of this thread go through pages (yes, pages) of heated arguing about the matter, I wouldn't be so sure :v:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
To me it seems most of Vriskachat seemed to be vocal fans of the character misconstruing people talking about how broken a person she is/was as saying she was a bad character, that and standard internet misogynists/gender-politic crusaders butting heads.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Nostalgamus posted:

One of the track images on vol. 8 was similarly posed, at least:
http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/calamity

:stare: How did I never notice this?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Andrew's Formspring posted:

Have you heard any of the fan voices for characters? If so, what do you think?

I've heard a few and some are pretty good, but honestly I have trouble listening to even good ones. For some reason none of the pesterlogs feel right to me as real dialogue. This is probably because they were always meant to be true to life chat logs, typed not spoken. If I were writing what was meant to be spoken, I would write quite differently.

To be fair, a lot of the computing devices used in pesterlogs (the ones in glasses, mainly) don't seem to have keyboards or any way of inputting text other than speech-to-text.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Miracon posted:

Been going on my SA Homestuck archive binge, and people pointed out that in WV: Rise Up, there was a scene with a black Knight attacking a white humanoid piece, so there's that. \/:)\/

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rumda posted:

To me it seems most of Vriskachat seemed to be vocal fans of the character misconstruing people talking about how broken a person she is/was as saying she was a bad character, that and standard internet misogynists/gender-politic crusaders butting heads.
Well uh the Vriskachat That Went Before, ie the poo poo that got her banned from the thread unless she appeared in the updates, was more along the lines of she's irredeemable no shut up she's ~*misunderstood*~ no you shut up she is a huge bitch no YOU shut up don't use gendered insults etc etc hanzo steel in the food court at dawn gaijin dog.

So yeah this stuff is good natured paling around compared to the Bad Old Days. Got even worse in other places (to the tune of "she deserves to be raped to death and eaten by jack").

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vriska was kind of hard to deal with reading in real-time, back when there were a dozen suspended plot threads and it wasn't clear if he was trying to build her up into a major antagonist with a motivation like that or what. And I'll admit I was part of it (not in this thread, but in general).

It ended well, of course. But before we knew how it was going to end, she was a character who represented many different things to a lot of people who cared an awful lot about those things. It was only natural that things would get ugly.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Vriska and John are adorable. She has no idea how to handle his derpyness and its fantastic.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

KoB posted:

Vriska and John are adorable. She has no idea how to handle his derpyness and its fantastic.
Dude's so crazy ingenuous it hurts. Some guileless drunken master poo poo, you subterfuge his rear end and its you that ends up off balance.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Seoinin posted:

Dude's so crazy ingenuous it hurts. Some guileless drunken master poo poo, you subterfuge his rear end and its you that ends up off balance.

It's the playing cards metaphor at work. Joker beats everything.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Walliard posted:

It's the playing cards metaphor at work. Joker beats everything.

He's simply the best there is.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

OwlbearHug posted:

Oh yes, I agree. When a character is able to make you feel things such as anger, pity, even something as strong as antipathy I know he/she is well done. I appreciate that she did try to do a little good and had a lot of her own demons to deal with.

I didn't intend for this to be a serious discussion since i just mentioned her in passing.

She's a really polarizing character because of how she was characterized- and I agree, it's a sign of a great character- but I actually really liked her. She was pretty much unironically a bad person, but she had absolutely no self-awareness, and only started to realize why she had no friends pretty much minutes before she died.

Incidentally, while I understand why it happened, her death is one of the few things I really think Hussie should have done differently (in that I think, 'hubris, etc.' be damned, she should have lived and continued to grow as a person/character. Killing her off was something of a missed opportunity.)

It's not enough to turn me off the comic, though (nothing is at this point, V:v:V)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think my favourite thing with John is how effortlessly he totally destroys Karkat when it comes to Trolling. Karkat just tries so hard, while John just effortlessly exploits the non-linear chatting to completely gently caress hi over. It's so great.

As to Vriska; I found myself sympathising with and liking her far better on my second readthrough. once her character arc was over, I found her a far more interesting piece of the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

The distinction between spoken and written dialog is a very nice touch, and one I really have to applaud.

Bobulus posted:

Need for the Steed

What's even funnier is that a fan artist did a version of this with Maplehoof and Equius, and I think actually gave it to Hussie at a convention.