Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

zari-gani posted:

I have Championship Lode Runner and it's practically impossible for me to get through even a single stage. It's incredible how Arino figured out the very first stage all by himself (though he did have a lot of practice with regular Lode Runner).

This take me back again to my old multigame Famicom bootleg cart. In addition to being good at Bomberman, my father was also really good at Lode Runner, as well as Championship Lode Runner. Puzzle-esque games must be easier when you get middle-aged. :v:

It's probably true, though, because I'm 28 and I'm slowly finding myself playing more and more puzzle games than other genres lately. I've become strangely addicted to the Professor Layton series. By the time I hit my mid-30s, who knows what kind of wacky puzzle shenanigans I'll be hooked on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Primoman posted:

Anyone have the record for the fastest completion time Arino spent on a game?

I'm wondering if there's ever been an occasion off-screen where he ends up breezing through a game at a surprising rate, only to have the manager or so forth intervene by saying his level of suck was off.

Also, having recently watched the Street Fighter II episode, I humbly request a gif or two of Arino imitating Dhalsim's yoga dance.

His fastest game challenge was 2 hours 10 minutes long, when he played ---------Ninja Spirit--------.

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Yesterday I got another Famicom puzzle-action game he challenged -- Tower of Babel. Again, I'm struggling with the very first stage... Arino's brain is truly made for puzzles. Maybe because he's so patient.

Oh god, Tower of Babel is totally devious after a while. The trick to these games is to sit and stare at the screen for a while and come up with a perfect plan, which is what Arino seems to do. I don't have the patience for it, especially when the game is as brutal as Championship Lode Runner.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

zari-gani posted:

His fastest game challenge was 2 hours 10 minutes long, when he played ---------Ninja Spirit--------.

I keep hoping to see that one, if only just for its "historical" value, but I guess the episode itself must not be terribly good, since the shorter a challenge gets, the less footage they have to pull entertainment value from.

Fluffy Tail
Jan 3, 2012

"I am the beginning and the end. The alpha and the omega. The first and the last."

Chaos Dunk
I have to suggest Game Center CX - "He doesn't hold back against an 11 year old girl". if we're still doing thread titles.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fluffy Tail posted:

I have to suggest Game Center CX - "He doesn't hold back against an 11 year old girl". if we're still doing thread titles.

This is definitely one of my favourite announcer quotes. Almost all the tamage segments which involve Arino and kids are a combination of adorable and hilarious :3:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I have Championship Lode Runner and it's practically impossible for me to get through even a single stage. It's incredible how Arino figured out the very first stage all by himself (though he did have a lot of practice with regular Lode Runner).

Yesterday I got another Famicom puzzle-action game he challenged -- Tower of Babel. Again, I'm struggling with the very first stage... Arino's brain is truly made for puzzles. Maybe because he's so patient.

Those are two I've been meaning to add to my Famicom collection. I was never good at Lode Runner though so I know I'll struggle like you. Tower of Babel on the other hand looks more my speed. Super Gussun Oyoyo is another one along those lines that's pretty good.

Championship Lode Runner might be the first instance of a game where the selling point was how impossibly difficult it was. It was the Demons' Souls of the early 1980's...

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
I was pretty happy that Arino chose Dhalsim, because Dhalsim was always my go to cheap as gently caress character for that game. :D I never got all the way to M Bison, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Snot Man posted:

I keep hoping to see that one, if only just for its "historical" value, but I guess the episode itself must not be terribly good, since the shorter a challenge gets, the less footage they have to pull entertainment value from.

It's not a horrible episode. Yeah they have to put about one-quarter of all the playing footage they shot on the screen but there's a lot going on in the episode, the denouement is pretty great, the tamage segment is a good one, and it features Catch a Copy which is my favorite segment from recent seasons. There are much worse episodes out there even in that season (Zelda: Ocarina of Time I'm looking at you).

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Snot Man posted:

Actually I think it might be fun to watch just from the perspective that it's the closest non-live event you're going to see in its entirety. Usually they're pulling out 45-50 minutes(remember time taken up by Tamage and other segments) from 10-15 hours of gameplay. In that challenge we may get to see him play a lot of the game.

It may be boring regardless but I'm going to be an optimist when we get around to seeing that one.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

zari-gani posted:

My life is complete. :hfive:

Watching Season 6 in order as it seems to be the only (?) case of a continuous plot.

The Ghouls N' Ghosts inspired parody of the kidnapped Queen and corrupted King

I'm actually wondering what the outcome is if Arino doesn't win enough challenges. :saddowns:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I bought the Irem Arcade Collection for the PC a few months back which includes the arcade version of Ninja Spirit. Arino plays the PC Engine version which gives you 5 hits per life, but the arcade version has you only take one hit per life.

Though not as fast as Ninja Spirit, he did Hi No Tori in about 6 hours.

I loved the Super Gussun Oyoyo episode. Hope that one gets subbed soon as well.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 15, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zari-gani posted:

Christ this is terrifying.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Liku posted:

Christ this is terrifying.

And it syncs up surprisingly well with your avatar.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Interesting... How tough is Championship Lode Runner compared to Battle Lode Runner?

I'm pretty sure I downloaded Battle Lode Runner because I saw some version of Lode Runner on one of the first GCCX fan subs (can't remember which one) and I got a good bit of the way through the game but for some reason I stopped playing it and I haven't been back to it since. I should go back and finish it. And now I wonder if I could handle Championship Lode Runner... It'd make an interesting addition to my little Famicom collection at least.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Random Stranger posted:

There are much worse episodes out there even in that season (Zelda: Ocarina of Time I'm looking at you).

What's wrong with it? :ohdear: I was looking forward to it, is it because it's not that hard?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

the least weasel posted:

What's wrong with it? :ohdear: I was looking forward to it, is it because it's not that hard?

Because it's boring as hell. There was a lot of discussion in the previous thread as well. There's just no way the editing can make it not boring.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Uznare posted:

Because it's boring as hell. There was a lot of discussion in the previous thread as well. There's just no way the editing can make it not boring.

Aw that sucks. Is the Kirby Superstar one boring too? That's another one I've been waiting for. :(

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Ray, I'm a little late to the party, but let me add my appreciation for your efforts and best wishes for future endeavors. Thanks!

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
E: missed a whole page, disregard

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Uznare posted:

Isn't the A Link to the Past challenge pretty similar? Even though OoT got two parts, I can't imagine it being different to how they edited LttP.

They basically show about 20-40 seconds worth of each of the dungeons, part of each boss fight and show some ganon stuff, along with the random overworld stuff here and there

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
I feel like the only way Zelda games would make for good GCCX episodes is if they were live specials. And even then they'd probably take SEVERAL DAYS or something. I don't think they're games that can be edited down into a single episode though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Aw that sucks. Is the Kirby Superstar one boring too? That's another one I've been waiting for. :(

Well I like it since it features Masaru Hamaguchi, the other half of Yoiko, playing along but since it's about eight hours long (plus a multihour pregame show) that one isn't going to happen. It was the 2010-11 Live New Years Eve special.

Ineffiable posted:

They basically show about 20-40 seconds worth of each of the dungeons, part of each boss fight and show some ganon stuff, along with the random overworld stuff here and there

Yeah, and it skips some pretty significant chunks of the game as well. The games just aren't paced well for the show.

Though I did kind of hope that the live episode was going to be Zelda 1...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 15, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Zelda II would kick his rear end thoroughly. I'd love to see that episode, since it'd almost certainly be a 2-parter(if he got the option). I mean, if he can beat Battletoads at this point then I'm sure he and the ADs can power through but it's still a difficult game, especially relative to the series as a whole, which usually holds your hand most of the game.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
Link's Awakening MIGHT be small enough to do a decent ep/two parter with. Of course I'm biased since it may well be my favorite game ever so I'd probably love it no matter what.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Zelda II would kick his rear end thoroughly. I'd love to see that episode, since it'd almost certainly be a 2-parter(if he got the option). I mean, if he can beat Battletoads at this point then I'm sure he and the ADs can power through but it's still a difficult game, especially relative to the series as a whole, which usually holds your hand most of the game.

I don't know about all that. You can grind enemies for stats, which is what got me through the game, and I'm sure that's exactly what Arino would do, based on his previous gameplay.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
The big problem is that most of the good Zelda games are just too easy, and if he's not struggling at some part it's not really that fun to watch.

Robodemon
Sep 14, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

I don't know about all that. You can grind enemies for stats, which is what got me through the game, and I'm sure that's exactly what Arino would do, based on his previous gameplay.

Don't forget that the Japanese Zelda II has a different leveling system, if you game over your stats reset to the lowest ranked out of your Attack, Magic, and Life.

So if you were 3-1-1 and game over you would be back to 1-1-1, even though you can choose to keep leveling up attack, but if you end up doing that and die you are back to square one.

I guess there is nothing stopping Arino from farming though and being relatively safe while doing so.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

zari-gani posted:

I've seen the Babel episode and I also remember Arino carved that game up like a Thanksgiving turkey, but it still took two days to beat. That ending was kinda cheap though!

I remember Zelda II being the kind of game that took a lot of trial and error, and exploration. I'm pretty sure I only beat it back in the day thanks to generous Nintendo Power coverage. Arino I think could beat it, eventually, but it would be a multi-day event sort of thing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Robodemon posted:

Don't forget that the Japanese Zelda II has a different leveling system, if you game over your stats reset to the lowest ranked out of your Attack, Magic, and Life.

So if you were 3-1-1 and game over you would be back to 1-1-1, even though you can choose to keep leveling up attack, but if you end up doing that and die you are back to square one.

I guess there is nothing stopping Arino from farming though and being relatively safe while doing so.

Holy poo poo did it really do that

That would be really bad towards the endgame when levels take forever

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

You wanted the best of the best, remember?

Should we sing about it again?

Robodemon posted:

I remember reading in one of the eaaaaarly early Nintendo Power magazines (we're talking scary Simon's Quest Dracula head cover era) about how Zelda 2 was being delayed past its original North American release date, but as I recall it didn't go into specific detail on the reason for the delay.

I think now I know.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Sweet William posted:

I remember reading in one of the eaaaaarly early Nintendo Power magazines (we're talking scary Simon's Quest Dracula head cover era) about how Zelda 2 was being delayed past its original North American release date, but as I recall it didn't go into specific detail on the reason for the delay.

I think now I know.

That issue, which I'm sure I have but I'd need to thumb through them all to recall which it was, claimed it was some sort of cartridge hardware shortage; a chip or something.

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

You wanted the best of the best, remember?

Should we sing about it again?

Mercury Crusader posted:

That issue, which I'm sure I have but I'd need to thumb through them all to recall which it was, claimed it was some sort of cartridge hardware shortage; a chip or something.

That chip shortage story sounds like a crock to me. :laugh:

It's not like it was Castlevania 3 with some fancy sound chip (which didn't even make it out of Japan in the first place... come to think of it I don't know of a single NES game that had any special chips offhand). Couldn't they have pulled resources from the production of some other game that holiday (it was delayed past Christmas if I remember right) to put into getting their surefire blockbuster out the door in time for capitalist gift giving day? Yeah, not buying it.

edit: apparently Z2 was delayed as long as a year?! I ran across this on the wikipedia article talk page:

... is also referenced in the June/July issue of Nintendo Fun Club on page 11 (the precursor to Nintendo Power and the last issue ever published. Here's the text:
"Where's Link? All the fun of The Legend of Zelda conintues in Zelda II - The Adevnture of Link, right? Righr! But When? As soon as we can get more computer chips! There has been a shortage. But we have used the waiting time well by making Zelda II - The Adventure of Link and even more xicting, more challenging game - coming this fall!".
(spelling mistakes left intact -ed)

So yeah, I guess it was the last issue of the Fun Club newsletter I actually saw that blurb in. I don't even remember how I got a hold of that. Scratch that, I found Nintendo Power #002 online, skimmed through it and found what I was looking for in the corner of the Pak Watch section (hey, it IS the issue with the Dracula head cover):

LINK LETTER Dear Zelda, I'm here in Kyoto with my programmer Mr. Miyamoto, and I'm afraid I have some bad news to tell you. Are you sitting down? (That's right, you're lying down) Anyway, they tell me I will not be able to begin my journey until the new year. It has something to do with computer chips or something. I know we hoped to spend the holidays together, but I'm sure you can hold on a little bit longer. I miss you desperately. Yours forever, LINK. Note: Sorry for the bad news. LINK will be available in very limited quantities in November.

Sweet William fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 17, 2012

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mercury Crusader posted:

This was a real thing :

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/12/us/shortage-of-memory-chips-has-industry-scrambling.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Nintendo's american licensing deal meant they were the exclusive manufacturers of all NES carts, so they actually produced a fair ammount of copies of Zelda 2 and Mario 2, and then only filled a fraction of the cartridge production orders made by third-party companies.

They couldn't produce anywhere near the demand though. I think the only underhanded claim Nintendo made about the situation was to announce that Zelda 2 copies were availible in the wild months before they actually were.

Knowing that the chip shortage was coming, they presumably wanted to drive kids into a frenzy for the game, who'd then get parents to phone as many department stores and retailers as possible, who in turn would get 20 calls a day enquiring about a Nintendo game, and order larger ammounts of Nintendo hardware and software, due to the perceived increase in interest.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
This was posted on the Retro Game Master USA Facebook page about an hour ago:

quote:

hey, guys, something coming up to announce from our US producer, very soon!!
Obviously, some of comments are about the US DVD release, but I'm holding my breath for it to be something else (Retro Game Challenge 2, please... Even though the fan translation, which looks awesome, is still being worked on :shobon:). If it is about the DVD(s), I hope that we'll get a release date, even if it's something vague like Spring 2013 or something like that.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If I may hope against hope...a special DVD exclusive challenge for the American release?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Vlaphor posted:

If I may hope against hope...a special DVD exclusive challenge for the American release?

My fingers are crossed for this but I'm not holding my breath. It would be really neat to see, though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Arino should really play Metal Wolf Chaos. Its the best US President Simulator of all time.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweet William posted:

That chip shortage story sounds like a crock to me. :laugh:

It's not like it was Castlevania 3 with some fancy sound chip (which didn't even make it out of Japan in the first place... come to think of it I don't know of a single NES game that had any special chips offhand). Couldn't they have pulled resources from the production of some other game that holiday (it was delayed past Christmas if I remember right) to put into getting their surefire blockbuster out the door in time for capitalist gift giving day? Yeah, not buying it.

edit: apparently Z2 was delayed as long as a year?!

The special audio chips were never brought over because they don't work on the NES. When they designed the NES, Nintendo moved the pin for the extra audio channel from the cartridge connector to the expansion port on the bottom because they figured that if they ever brought the disk system over it would hook up that way.

While the chip shortage probably had something to do with the delay, they did make a lot of changes between the Japanese and US releases of Zelda 2. Just off the top of my head:

• The level system was changed.
  • The starting room where Zelda is sleeping was changed for some reason.
  • The water tiles in the Japanese version was animated.
  • The overworld monsters look like monsters in the US version as opposed to cartoony ghost things in the Japanese version.
  • A lot of the music and sound effects were changed. Obviously some things had to be changed or removed due to the lack of the extra FDS sound channel, but even stuff that didn't use the extra channel was altered (the cave and battle screen music for example).
  • You pick up items by touching them instead of stabbing them.
  • All of the palaces were given unique tile sets. In the Japanese version they just use the same tileset for all of the palaces except for the last one.
  • The added the barbarian boss in the fifth palace. In the Japanese version you fight the knight from the second palace again.
  • The dragon boss in the 6th palace was made far less crappy looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
I wonder if Arino will challenge Crash Bandicoot at some point?