Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I decided to do something a little crazy. On the way home today I picked up a Nook Simple Touch. After I got it home I rooted it and installed ADW using a tool called TouchNooter. I also installed a tweak that lets me increase the eink refresh rate on demand.

I am posting via it right now. It's... surpringly useable and makes for a pretty good way to read my RSS feeds. The hack even keeps the default Nook interface around so I can, y'know, use my eBook reader as an eBook reader.

I can't say I'd recommend it to everyone but I think it's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Stumpalitious posted:

Hey the Moment was a really really atrocious phone that I wish I never bought.

Anybody else here have an epic 4g touch? Trying to find the best ROM to currently run.
I'm using the latest ICS leak right now but I think I'm going back to CM9 when I get home. (Even though I bricked last time I flashed CM9 - whoops!)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Curious ... running CM7 at the moment on my SGS2, will I be able to upgrade/downgrade to ICS via KIES & retain root so I can go back later?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Odette posted:

Curious ... running CM7 at the moment on my SGS2, will I be able to upgrade/downgrade to ICS via KIES & retain root so I can go back later?

Just wait for CM9.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

nimper posted:

Just wait for CM9.

I fully agree with this statement. After running CM7, going to a stock ROM (ICS or not), will end in disappointment. So wait for a stable (ish) version of CM9 and get the best of both worlds.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
So I want to unlock my Galaxy Nexus's boot loader and install ICS 4.04 because I am sick of waiting for Verizon or whoever is holding things up to release it, is this tool a good choice for a rooting newbie ?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1454314

Also I am thinking of rooting my Kindle Fire, have any good roms come out for it yet for a relatively casual user? I looked over XDA and you guys are not exaggerating about the awfulness :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

CM device maintainers are generally releasing CM9 "alpha" or "beta" builds as appropriate, but they're essentially the same thing as a nightly. The difference is that a device-maintainer build is usually tested and vetted to some degree (as opposed to a random nightly build), and may contain not-yet-commited, device-specific bug fixes.

Also burnsra is cool, he's the CM NS4G device maintainer so builds posted by him should be thought of as having greater legitimacy than your typical xda kang.

Yeah, my assumption was that it was a stable build, and for all I can tell it is. It's way better than CM7 at any rate. I haven't had to do a single battery pull or had any random reboots in the week I've had it installed, where with CM7 it was at least once or twice per day.

As great as it is, though, I wish Google would get off their rear end and release ICS for the NS4G like they said they would 4 months ago. Part of why I got a Nexus phone was they promised to support them.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 14, 2012

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

datajosh posted:

I'm using the latest ICS leak right now but I think I'm going back to CM9 when I get home. (Even though I bricked last time I flashed CM9 - whoops!)

Yeah I think I'm going to flash to that too, I am running the FC05 leak. I know that flashing to a CWM-enabled EL26 (or whatever is the first kernel/modem combo) is advised for flashing CM9 on the e4gt right now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DeceasedHorse posted:

So I want to unlock my Galaxy Nexus's boot loader and install ICS 4.04 because I am sick of waiting for Verizon or whoever is holding things up to release it, is this tool a good choice for a rooting newbie ?

I rooted my GSM Galaxy Nexus before that tool came out but if no one in the thread is recently reporting problems I'd think it'd be fine.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Odette posted:

I'd recomend waiting for cm 9 but if you really wanted it you would have to flash stock I've through Odin or heimdall after using cm 7.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I'm noticing a quicker battery drain than usual and seeing that my phone isn't sleeping when the screen is off, even after an hour or more of not being touched.

What's that battery app you guys recommend to determine the app causing wake lock?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

nickhimself posted:

I'm noticing a quicker battery drain than usual and seeing that my phone isn't sleeping when the screen is off, even after an hour or more of not being touched.

What's that battery app you guys recommend to determine the app causing wake lock?

Better Battery Stats

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

DeceasedHorse posted:

If you end up doing this please give us a trip report, I'm thinking about unlocking mine as well (even though I promised myself I would not when I purchased it). I'm tired of the connectivity issues, randomly dropping 3G and LTE, problems with my bluetooth, and battery. Apparently these issues have been fixed for months.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DeceasedHorse posted:

Also I am thinking of rooting my Kindle Fire, have any good roms come out for it yet for a relatively casual user? I looked over XDA and you guys are not exaggerating about the awfulness :(

I just used the Galaxy Nexus Tool Kit v.5.4 to root/unlock my Galaxy Nexus last night. The process was simple, 1 click style. Just had to put the phone in fastboot mode. Also, ran into quite the issues installing the ADB drivers under Win7. The toolkit was supposed to have installed them, but Windows didn't like it, so I ended up having to download the Android SDK and required packages and finally windows saw my phone in fastboot mode and installed the appropriate driver package for it. Odd since the USB drivers for the phone alone were installed instantly when I plugged it in from android and it mounted. I guess there are 2 different USB drivers required.

That's pretty much the only thing the toolkits Wugs or mSkip's don't really explain and you might run into, but you might not. Should be easy either way if you have some experience troubleshooting driver issues with hardware.

Edit: Here is the link to the toolkit I used if you wanted to check it out/watch the video guide..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1392310

edit: Actually, I am starting to suspect it only unlocked my bootloader, and did not grant root access. Very weird.... after watching the end of the video it would appear this did NOT root my phone. Apparently it was suppose to have booted to android where I put the phone in usb debugging mode, it didn't do that, instead just instantly rebooted and said it was done. The bootloader is unlocked only from what I can tell, kinda lame, that I need to do this poo poo again :(

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 14, 2012

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
I went ahead and used the tool I posted earlier with similar results. I was able to unlock the bootloader after some problems with getting the Android 1.0 drivers on my computer (not entirely sure what that means) and get 4.04 installed. Unfortunately, I either screwed up the process or the backup tool included did not work for me so I lost all my data-good-bye world of goo saves :( I still do not have root access somehow, even though I have the superuser app installed I am unable to run any apps that need root access except, as far as I can tell, Clockwork Recovery, which seems to be functioning correctly, so I suppose the next step is to figure out what went wrong with the rooting process.

thebushcommander posted:

I just used the Galaxy Nexus Tool Kit v.5.4 to root/unlock my Galaxy Nexus last night. The process was simple, 1 click style. Just had to put the phone in fastboot mode. Also, ran into quite the issues installing the ADB drivers under Win7. The toolkit was supposed to have installed them, but Windows didn't like it, so I ended up having to download the Android SDK and required packages and finally windows saw my phone in fastboot mode and installed the appropriate driver package for it. Odd since the USB drivers for the phone alone were installed instantly when I plugged it in from android and it mounted. I guess there are 2 different USB drivers required.

That's pretty much the only thing the toolkits Wugs or mSkip's don't really explain and you might run into, but you might not. Should be easy either way if you have some experience troubleshooting driver issues with hardware.

Edit: Here is the link to the toolkit I used if you wanted to check it out/watch the video guide..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1392310

edit: Actually, I am starting to suspect it only unlocked my bootloader, and did not grant root access. Very weird.... after watching the end of the video it would appear this did NOT root my phone. Apparently it was suppose to have booted to android where I put the phone in usb debugging mode, it didn't do that, instead just instantly rebooted and said it was done. The bootloader is unlocked only from what I can tell, kinda lame, that I need to do this poo poo again :(

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DeceasedHorse posted:

4.04 installed
I still do not have root access somehow, even though I have the superuser app installed I am unable to run any apps that need root access

If you installed 4.0.4 there is a different superuser zip to use than for 4.0.2. You should be able to get it here.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you installed 4.0.4 there is a different superuser zip to use than for 4.0.2. You should be able to get it here.

The weird thing is the tool I used should have installed it for me, but it didn't so it basically skipped that entire step during its 1 step unlock/root. So I apparently need to go ahead and just do the root step later and see what happens.

Although, I am just on stock 4.0.2 and installed the correct superuser apk myself afterward. Is there another way you can check? I installed a file browser, but nothing really seems different as far as what I can see/access on phones storage.

Nevermind, it didn't do any of the poo poo it said other than unlocking the boot loader. drat it.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 14, 2012

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I got impatient waiting for a stable ICS/CM9 ROM to be released for the Inspire, and I was bored because everything works in CM7, so I decided to see how the latest MIUI release was doing.

Man I forgot how pretty this ROM is, the only reason I went back to CM7 was battery life and WiFi reception was a little bit better than with MIUI.

But now I'm getting some crazy battery life, seems significantly longer than what I was seeing in CM7:

This is with pretty light use, that big dip towards the end is me browsing for and downloading 30meg of themes on WiFi. But still, two full days and 10% is significantly better than I was getting on CM7, about a day and a half there and I was in the red.

For comparison, here's a battery graph of MIUI from last September:

I did the same thing after going back to CM7 and made it out to 1d 20h.

I think my WiFi has improved as well, I'm able to pick up more networks than I was able to see on CM7, so on both points where MIUI was worse it is now a bit better than my recent CM7 performance.

I still had to go through the GPS and APN settings in this XDA thread OP to get everything working, but overall it seems like MIUI has stepped up its game, for Inspire at least. That XDA OP is a little out of date (as is the current 'live' thread found here ), I'm using more recent versions of MIUI and the LorDmod kernel, and I updated my radio to what he recommends. Gonna sit with this as my daily ROM until a stable CM9 is out :rock:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 14, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, I'm an idiot and I thought I was on top of things but now I'm afraid I bricked my Atrix 4G.

I flashed a ROM without taking all the proper precautions - but I did run a nandroid, wiped cache and Dalvik, and formatted /system. However, it won't boot past the Motorola logo. Unfortunately it took me a couple of days to find time to try to fix it, and the battery has drained. Here's where I'm really unhappy: when I plug it in to charge, it just sits on that Motorola logo. It never goes to the battery indicator, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't charge at all - I left it plugged in for several hours, and when I try to start RSD protocol, it says it's starting it, then says the battery is too low to flash.

Do I just need some way to charge the battery? I have no idea how to do that short of going to the AT&T store and buying a new battery, and hoping I can flash a SBF file before it runs down again.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Manky posted:

I left it plugged in for several hours, and when I try to start RSD protocol, it says it's starting it, then says the battery is too low to flash.

Were you using a charger or through a computer's USB? I did something similar on my Droid X and it wouldn't charge from my PC, but worked fine with an AC charger.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Were you using a charger or through a computer's USB? I did something similar on my Droid X and it wouldn't charge from my PC, but worked fine with an AC charger.

AC charger, sadly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Manky posted:

AC charger, sadly.

I remember my X would get finicky when it was really low on a charge. Does anything happen if you press/hold the power button while it's plugged in/while plugging it in? Does the screen come up if you plug it in without the battery?

If you take the battery to the AT&T store and ask nicely they might charge it for you. Other than that you're going to have to buy a charger or rig something up to charge the battery outside of the phone.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
My htc with cm7 wont charge at all* without being booted into android. If I'm working in clockwordmod, plugged-in, it seems like it uses power from AC for the system but when you boot into android after you're done, the batt % is still the same as it was last time you were booted up.

*the HTC stock roms have a special /recovery that handles non-booted charging, charges the batt and displays a battery meter.

edit: Doesn't AT&T say they have some kind of battery-exhange program, where if you're on the go with a dead batt you can pop in to an at&t store and trade for a charged one? Someone said that on a commercial, thought it was them.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 14, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Nothing happens when I hold the power button, and the screen turns on if I plug it in without a battery. Which I thought was pretty odd.

I now have it plugged in while RSD support is "on." I'm hoping against hope that the low battery warning will go away and I can try again.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Alucard posted:

I'm still rocking Fresh Evo 4.3.3, it has been a much better experience for me (had trouble with Skype and GTalk video using the various iterations of CM7) but I also have ADWLauncher EX so the included launcher in CM7 isn't much of a bonus to me. Most of the tweaks that CM7 allows aren't much of a bonus either considering I use Tasker for all my context-specific stuff.

Cool. I'm gonna have to check this out. Only thing I miss about MIUI is no 4G. I guess I can try this with Nova Launcher.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

No root

DeceasedHorse posted:

No root

Try using Paul O'Brien's Superboot.

If Doctor rear end in a top hat is right you'll also need to update the Superuser binary.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

LastInLine posted:

Try using Paul O'Brien's Superboot.

If Doctor rear end in a top hat is right you'll also need to update the Superuser binary.

I was able to fix my issue just now. Not sure what happened the first time, but it worked this time. The toolkit's dev said it's happened before. All rooted now.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

that did the trick, thanks

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Hey, Sensation kids! MIUI is going to drop an ICS-based MIUI rom with everything (reportedly) working tomorrow. Since AOSP roms seem to still be a mile away with full hardware support, especially bluetooth and camera/videocamera, they're using a ......... sense base.

Still, it's something fresh, and I'll probably give it a run.

https://twitter.com/!/Vorbeth/status/180097991296811009

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Who is releasing it? I get so confused with the MIUI scene. I have been using MIUI 2.3.5 forever now, and love it. Who is it, and what is the difference?

miui.com
miui.us
miuiandroid.com

:confused:

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

eightysixed posted:

Who is releasing it? I get so confused with the MIUI scene. I have been using MIUI 2.3.5 forever now, and love it. Who is it, and what is the difference?

miui.com
miui.us
miuiandroid.com

:confused:

Yeah, I have no idea. I guess it would be en.miui.com since they have the twitter account that also makes reference to it.

https://twitter.com/!/miuirom/status/180136610195714049

I like MIUI, and I would have been running it on 2.3, but they relied on kmobs for the bluetooth source out of his CM7 release, which he never shared. I use A2DP constantly, so that was a no-go for me. I've resigned to being satisfied with sense-based ROM's, as long as they cover up all the sense nastiness.

e: http://www.miui.us/ makes mention of it. I guess they're affiliated?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Civil posted:

Hey, Sensation kids! MIUI is going to drop an ICS-based MIUI rom with everything (reportedly) working tomorrow. Since AOSP roms seem to still be a mile away with full hardware support, especially bluetooth and camera/videocamera, they're using a ......... sense base.

Still, it's something fresh, and I'll probably give it a run.

https://twitter.com/!/Vorbeth/status/180097991296811009

I'm looking forward to this. I'm happy with the AOSP-ish build from Virtuous right now, but I could be persuaded...

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Civil posted:

Yeah, I have no idea. I guess it would be en.miui.com since they have the twitter account that also makes reference to it.

https://twitter.com/!/miuirom/status/180136610195714049

I like MIUI, and I would have been running it on 2.3, but they relied on kmobs for the bluetooth source out of his CM7 release, which he never shared. I use A2DP constantly, so that was a no-go for me. I've resigned to being satisfied with sense-based ROM's, as long as they cover up all the sense nastiness.

e: http://www.miui.us/ makes mention of it. I guess they're affiliated?

The way I understand it though, is MIUI is released to miui.com which is only released in Chinese (I think), and the other devs have to translate what they release. Seems very strange, and I don't fully understand it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Crossposting this from the Tablets thread, I need a way to view an image on my Kindle running CM9 in full screen on ICS without the notification bar visible at all, is that something I can do? I tried to do this, but it hosed up my Kindle and I had to restore from a backup to get it running again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The GSM GNex I just got a couple hours ago (imported) is on 4.01 yakjuux.

I'm not particularly interested in flashing a custom ROM. I like to wait until the newness wears off after a few months before I start thinking about doing that.

I would like to be rooted so I can use some root apps.

I soooo don't follow the Android ROM and rooting scene, so here's a couple questions:

1. Should I worry about flashing to yakju?
2. Is getting on 4.02/4.03/4.04 something I should worry about?
3. How do I get root?
4. Anything else I should do?
5. How come new gadgets are so fun to have?

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
I would read https://www.androidforums.com and check out the sticky's in your phones "All things root" section. There are usually really good guides on what and what not to do. Alternatively listen to someone else in this thread who has a gnex.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Thermopyle posted:

The GSM GNex I just got a couple hours ago (imported) is on 4.01 yakjuux.

I'm not particularly interested in flashing a custom ROM. I like to wait until the newness wears off after a few months before I start thinking about doing that.

I would like to be rooted so I can use some root apps.

From what I've seen, you're better off unlocking (you need to, in order to root), putting on the latest pre-rooted YAKJU build, and using it like regular. There are directions on the last few pages of either this thread or the other Android thread.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I just wiped my phone because I thought the market was missing.
It's called "play store" now.

I'm old, and an idiot.
Just wanted to share.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheReverend posted:

I'm old, and an idiot.
Just wanted to share.

Nah, they did a terrible job of letting anyone know what the hell Play Store was or why the Market disappeared. I did actually get a text from Verizon two days ago letting me know the Market changed to Play, but that was a full week after it actually happened. Even if you don't mind the rebranding itself, it would have been nice to actually let people know what was happening without them having to read gadget websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

TheReverend posted:

I'm old, and an idiot.
Just wanted to share.

The icon disappeared twice from my homescreen, once on the actual date and once a couple of days later. I was pretty pissed off at Google.