Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Yeah sparring with people who have crap shinpads does suck

I have some twins ones which are ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I'm sure this has been asked before, but, any tips for drying gloves/stopping them smelling like poo poo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Not experienced in this particular matter but vinegar soaks/washes is pretty good at neutralizing odors. And it's anti-bacterial.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but, any tips for drying gloves/stopping them smelling like poo poo

Wipe/spray the insides with a bit of antibacterial stuff. Wipe dry. Stuff with newspaper until you get home. Confirm dryish. Stuff some shoe dogs in there until next session.

If they're already really smelly, it might be too late.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Self Defense yay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJX9QnrZtfc
http://youtu.be/GJX9QnrZtfc

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wish they'd gotten outta there instead of sticking around. His friend coulda done more to diffuse the situation off the bat, though.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There's a crazy guy attacking strangers in a restaurant, and there happens to be a table of badass grapplers there? I think the responsible thing to do would be for them to stay and protect the other people in the restaurant, which they did. That was handled pretty well, really.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

His friend was trying to contain him. Not well, sure. The restaurant owners had called the cops. Given those two things, I think the situation could have been handled in about as clean-cut a way as our legal system can provide.

I wouldn't expect some strangers at a restaurant to be looking out for my well being in such a circumstance.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the cops were probably 30 steps from the scene when Ryan Hall grabbed the guy and threw him (almost clipping his head on the other door) onto the sidewalk. It's likely that Hall didn't see the cops coming up. But that's what the cops are for -- to keep the peace. With Hall taking action, he had to go through the rigmarole of being questioned. The filmer quietly asks the owner lady if she can back their version of events up, knowing that it was going to come to that.

This is why training for the ring is easy, and training self defense is a morass of real life complexities :(.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Yeah the last throw + choke seemed unnecessary. I guess you'd be a bit pumped from what happened and likely to take it a bit further, doesn't really excuse it and their life could have been a lot easier had they not. However the bit where he slurs "You don't even know what I'm capable of" cracks me up.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 15, 2012

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Whats the throw called where its like o-goshi except your hand goes around their neck instead of under their arm and you almost always land in a perfect kesa getame.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Whats the throw called where its like o-goshi except your hand goes around their neck instead of under their arm and you almost always land in a perfect kesa getame.

Koshi-guruma?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Comrade_Robot posted:

Koshi-guruma?

Yep, thats it. Thanks.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Crossposting from the Punchsport Pagoda megathread. The NCAA D-1 Wrestling Championships start in just over an hour and will be streaming on ESPN3. Everyone should watch. Everyone.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

What does a bent rib feel like?

I've had a sharp pain on my back the last few days. It's beneath my shoulder-blade, when I get up from the couch, cough or tense my shoulders.
I had a lot of big men on top of me lately, so I'm worried about my ribcage. (among other things :gay:)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Prathm posted:

What does a bent rib feel like?

I've had a sharp pain on my back the last few days. It's beneath my shoulder-blade, when I get up from the couch, cough or tense my shoulders.
I had a lot of big men on top of me lately, so I'm worried about my ribcage. (among other things :gay:)

I got that a few times from holding my breath as I hit the ground while being thrown. I thought it would go away on its own but two months on, it still hurt to move my shoulder blade. I went to the physio and he put electricity through the area for about 20 mins and it went away instantly.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

So after trialing the local mma gym for the past week (got in 2 classes of BJJ, a class of MT, and a class of Judo), I decided to join them to train BJJ as I enjoyed it and it fit my schedule best (although I liked MT, but it didn't work for my schedule, maybe another time).

I now need suggestions for gis, as I have no clue what to look for or how much I should be paying.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Nierbo posted:

I got that a few times from holding my breath as I hit the ground while being thrown. I thought it would go away on its own but two months on, it still hurt to move my shoulder blade. I went to the physio and he put electricity through the area for about 20 mins and it went away instantly.

My uncle's a physio actually, guess I'll give him a call and hear what's up.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Prathm posted:

My uncle's a physio actually, guess I'll give him a call and hear what's up.

I have a constant problem with whatever muscles run next to your spine and pull the shoulder blades back, particularly the left side. Its pretty frustrating: I've done all kinds of things and it will get better with treatment but never goes away, even if I'm out for a month

My chiro calls it "Jiu-jitsu" neck (he's a black belt) and every grappler I know gets it. Electrode therapy and massages help but goddamn its annoying.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I get that as well but my chiropractor does a deep tissue massage primarily rather than big adjustments and it always works out out great. I have to go back every 2-3 months but it's well worth it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
My day was awesome for so many reason, one of them being I got to throw that super awesome black belt during randori and actually score a wazari/ippon. He scored about 30 ippon during the 5 minutes we fought, but I got a (something close to a) ippon on the guy. He's just ridiculously good and I know he didn't just let me get it. It was the only guy left in the club that I never managed to score more than a yoko against, I'm so happy.

I got him with some weird technique that I wouldn't know how to describe exactly but it involves grabbing his right sleeve with my left hand and sending my right hand over his right shoulder and doing something that is part harai goshi and part o soto gari and overall plain awesome. I've been working on this move for a while so I'm super happy that it worked on the best guy in the club.

This contributes nothing to this thread except my happiness, but I needed to share this with someone and can't do that with anyone else so that's it. Now I can go to sleep feeling awesome!

----

To contribute something to the current discussion, I just take all the pain as normal nowadays I guess. I have some pain in the upper back on the left side just beside the spine. I think it's from a rib originally but not 100% what it is exactly. Foam rolling my back helps tremendously so I do that 3-4 times a week, but I will probably go see a physio when I'm less broke because it doesn't seem entirely normal even if I got used to it after 2-3 years of feeling the exact same thing.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 16, 2012

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Welp, pinched nerves in my neck or something. Give it certain kinds of pressure and it's like getting electric shocks in my ear and down my shoulder.

A doctor's appointment in a few hours but i'm pretty sure this means i'm not going to be fighting next friday :(

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

My day was awesome for so many reason, one of them being I got to throw that super awesome black belt during randori and actually score a wazari/ippon. He scored about 30 ippon during the 5 minutes we fought, but I got a (something close to a) ippon on the guy. He's just ridiculously good and I know he didn't just let me get it. It was the only guy left in the club that I never managed to score more than a yoko against, I'm so happy.

I got him with some weird technique that I wouldn't know how to describe exactly but it involves grabbing his right sleeve with my left hand and sending my right hand over his right shoulder and doing something that is part harai goshi and part o soto gari and overall plain awesome. I've been working on this move for a while so I'm super happy that it worked on the best guy in the club.

This contributes nothing to this thread except my happiness, but I needed to share this with someone and can't do that with anyone else so that's it. Now I can go to sleep feeling awesome!

----

To contribute something to the current discussion, I just take all the pain as normal nowadays I guess. I have some pain in the upper back on the left side just beside the spine. I think it's from a rib originally but not 100% what it is exactly. Foam rolling my back helps tremendously so I do that 3-4 times a week, but I will probably go see a physio when I'm less broke because it doesn't seem entirely normal even if I got used to it after 2-3 years of feeling the exact same thing.

Congrats to your throw on a BB!

I find if I am having lower back pain that is not a real injury, stretching out my hamstrings is often the proper way to deal with it. Other than that there is not much I do about nagging little finger sprains and such, just tape, advil, and sucking it up. I have no experience with neck injuries, but they sound scary and I wish the best to all suffering from them.

Also I hear ice baths post workout do wonders, but have yet to use anything like it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

KingColliwog posted:

That's not a rib injury if the pain follows your spine close to the inside of your shoulder blade. That's a neck/neck muscle injury.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Yuns posted:

That's not a rib injury if the pain follows your spine close to the inside of your shoulder blade. That's a neck/neck muscle injury.

interesting, to be more precise it's right there (may be a little lower)

I'll feel it when I take a really deep breath and my muscles feel like they'd benefit from a good massage. Some very weird stretches will make me feel it. Would that fit with a neck muscle injury?

I thought it had something to do with my ribs because it started after I got a bruised rib so I linked the two.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Sorry, I thought you meant that the pain from from the trapezius down the shoulder blade. I didn't realize it was so low.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Yuns posted:

Sorry, I thought you meant that the pain from from the trapezius down the shoulder blade. I didn't realize it was so low.

Good, found it weird that a neck injury could cause pain in this region of the upper back, but I've seen stranger things.

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho
So I've been taking Muay Thai for about 10 months now, got my orange belt and will most likely have my green by the end of April. I'm going to be fighting in the Tiger Balm Internationals in 2 days- my first tournament. Boo ya! So psyched.

To those who were asking about starting MT- I'd never done any kind of martial arts to speak of before this, never been in a fight or even thrown a punch before, and I'd say totally stick with it. Wanting to start out in something less "intimidating" is the same as an out of shape person saying they want to get into some kind of shape before they start going to the gym- it's silly. Just do it!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Speaking of Muay Thai (which I've considered trying out), would striking sports be less injury-prone than grappling? Specifically, I've been doing judo for about two months. The third week of judo I sprained my ankle quite badly and partially tore a ligament. I still haven't fully recovered and it will likely be another month or two before I have full stability and range of motion.

I've injured that same ankle before, and it's weak and probably prone to re-injury. Assuming I'm not planning on competing anytime soon, would MT or another striking sport put me at less risk for rolling ankles? I haven't really progressed in judo at all since my injury, I've been going to practice but I'm very limited in what I can do until my ankle is 100% again :(

Edit: and yes, I'm aware that muay thai and other striking martial arts involve getting punched and kicked. Including in the head. I'm most concerned about ankle injuries.

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho
Well I'm still new to this all but yeah, in my experience striking seems a little safer to me than grappling. The main injuries you're looking at are bruising and tender shins and such- just be sure to wrap your hands as it's pretty damned easy to break a finger or hurt your wrist if you're throwing wrong. I dunno about your ankle injury though- throwing kicks involves pivoting on your foot which could be a problem for you.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Speaking of Muay Thai (which I've considered trying out), would striking sports be less injury-prone than grappling? Specifically, I've been doing judo for about two months. The third week of judo I sprained my ankle quite badly and partially tore a ligament. I still haven't fully recovered and it will likely be another month or two before I have full stability and range of motion.

I've injured that same ankle before, and it's weak and probably prone to re-injury. Assuming I'm not planning on competing anytime soon, would MT or another striking sport put me at less risk for rolling ankles? I haven't really progressed in judo at all since my injury, I've been going to practice but I'm very limited in what I can do until my ankle is 100% again :(

Edit: and yes, I'm aware that muay thai and other striking martial arts involve getting punched and kicked. Including in the head. I'm most concerned about ankle injuries.

Judo and Wrestling are more likely to get you injured than BJJ. I have had 1 major injury in BJJ (a popped ankle) in 5 years, only because I'm a giant dumbass and refused to tap. I would suggest that Yuns' experience is a statistical outlier.

BJJ is ground hugging - you can't get that injured doing it :v:

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Optimus Subprime posted:

So after trialing the local mma gym for the past week (got in 2 classes of BJJ, a class of MT, and a class of Judo), I decided to join them to train BJJ as I enjoyed it and it fit my schedule best (although I liked MT, but it didn't work for my schedule, maybe another time).

I now need suggestions for gis, as I have no clue what to look for or how much I should be paying.

I got this Fuji Single Weave and I've been happy with it. I didn't really know what size to get, and I read that they shrunk a size, so I got an A6, which is the right length for me, but way to roomy (I'm 6'4" ish, 205lbs). It didn't shrink nearly as much as I hoped, either. I bought an A5 belt, as well, and that's about right, maybe a touch too long.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Thanks for the suggestion, I always seem to find myself in a weird position because of my body size. I am 5'8" at 180 lbs with fairly broad shoulders, so I seem to always fall between fitting sizes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So, for Muay Thai. Should I have two different gloves for bag work and for sparring? I don't think I'll be sparring too much at my gym.

I was just going to get these Fairtex 16oz gloves and use them for everything.

http://www.mmaindustries.com/Fairtex-Training-Gloves-16oz-BGV1-p/bgv1-16.htm

or should I get these for sparring

http://www.mmaindustries.com/Fairtex-Super-Sparring-Gloves-16oz-BGV5-p/bgv5-16.htm

and use the others above in 12 oz for bag work? I'm about 185 lbs if it matters.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 16, 2012

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Since my shoulder injury, and being a year out, I've kind of gotten super risk averse. I love BJJ, and I want to get more into Muay Thai once Im recovered. I never was too into no-gi grappling, and Im not looking into fighting MMA or competing no-gi, so would I really be out of a loss from not training it? Im worried that the scrambling aspect of no-gi makes it more injury prone than gi BJJ or striking. Am I completely off base with this assessment?

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho
I've got the 16oz fairtex gloves myself and I just use them for everything. I don't really see a point in spending more money for bag gloves personally.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PelirrojoLoco posted:

Well I'm still new to this all but yeah, in my experience striking seems a little safer to me than grappling. The main injuries you're looking at are bruising and tender shins and such- just be sure to wrap your hands as it's pretty damned easy to break a finger or hurt your wrist if you're throwing wrong. I dunno about your ankle injury though- throwing kicks involves pivoting on your foot which could be a problem for you.

Pivoting shouldn't be a problem. I've injured my left ankle like this twice--once in high school football and the other in judo this spring. The main danger is my landing on it forcefully and rolling/spraining it. That's why I don't play basketball anymore :(

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

swagger like us posted:

Since my shoulder injury, and being a year out, I've kind of gotten super risk averse. I love BJJ, and I want to get more into Muay Thai once Im recovered. I never was too into no-gi grappling, and Im not looking into fighting MMA or competing no-gi, so would I really be out of a loss from not training it? Im worried that the scrambling aspect of no-gi makes it more injury prone than gi BJJ or striking. Am I completely off base with this assessment?

I don't think that is a fair assessment of No-Gi grappling. I love scrambles and the flowing aspect of no-gi grappling, and it is very rare for myself to get an injury during those exchanges.

As long as you're not a madman diving into positions, you should be okay!

Take it slow, get used to the positions and the flowing nature of no-gi and you should do just fine :)

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

PelirrojoLoco posted:

I've got the 16oz fairtex gloves myself and I just use them for everything. I don't really see a point in spending more money for bag gloves personally.

You also train at a Muay Thai gym that for some reason awards belt colors.

Christoff posted:

So, for Muay Thai. Should I have two different gloves for bag work and for sparring? I don't think I'll be sparring too much at my gym.

Get bag gloves to work on endurance and stamina in your arms (heavier impacts). Get sparring gloves for security.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So 12oz for bag work and 16oz for sparring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I wouldn't get 2 sets of gloves at this stage. Wait until you're doing harder sparring, by that point you'll know whether you'll stick with the sport.

• Locked thread