Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Some of my favorite strips and arcs ever had Vlad or Lie Bot in them.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03272009
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04012009
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10192005
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06092004
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05072002 :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

New items coming to this exciting column soon! E-zines, subscriber archives, e-books, news, more. I just have to re-learn Gopher or whatever that is.

Is that a new thing for the bottom left column?

Or is it just busted?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Telex posted:

New items coming to this exciting column soon! E-zines, subscriber archives, e-books, news, more. I just have to re-learn Gopher or whatever that is.

Is that a new thing for the bottom left column?

Or is it just busted?

Looks like he finally took down the achewood subscriber portal, and threw up some text to fill in the spot. I guess it counts as new content.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
:siren: And now, back to Ray In Rehab! :siren:

...sorta :nws: if your boss routinely examines your computer screen with a magnifying glass

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha, I grinned at CHK F CKH F... CHK and the ending got a genuine laugh out of me, that was a meticulously delivered burn.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
If that strip's not a metaphor for late-stage Achewood, I don't know what is. I'm having a hard time not imagining Onstad blowing his brains out after that last panel.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Onstad really needs to just stop, its getting embarrassing how far the strip has fallen.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had to re-read the last four months of strips to remember what was going on.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Onstad, if you want to stop - and we all know you do - now's your chance. That last panel is the perfect place to end Achewood, just a big gently caress You. That's the only point you're making to your readers anymore, so why beat around the bush?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Onstad really needs to just stop, its getting embarrassing how far the strip has fallen.

I disagree. There have been tons of strips just like this one. The rub is that it is taking so long for the whole thing to move along

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Happy Hippo posted:

I disagree. There have been tons of strips just like this one. The rub is that it is taking so long for the whole thing to move along

Plus, they kind suck.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

withak posted:

I had to re-read the last four months of strips to remember what was going on.

Good thing it doesn't take that long to read!!! :rimshot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Happy Hippo posted:

I agree, as far as I'm concerned the strips are as good as they've always been, they're just taking far too long between strips for my liking.

kreayshawns talent
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

basx posted:

If that strip's not a metaphor for late-stage Achewood, I don't know what is. I'm having a hard time not imagining Onstad blowing his brains out after that last panel.

All next to a card table with an untouched flavorless overcooked supermarket turkey and a finished bottle of Christian Brothers brandy sitting on it. gently caress you reader, gently caress YOU.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's another gently caress You Tuesday.

(Some months it feels like every Tuesday is gently caress You Tuesday.)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phy posted:

It's another gently caress You Tuesday.

(Some months it feels like every Tuesday is gently caress You Tuesday.)

Starting in 2012, every day is a gently caress You Day!

Wake up tomorrow? gently caress YOU, someone out there is actively trying to make you poorer!
Wake up the next day? gently caress YOU, someone is trying to destroy your very way of life, and it's not terrorists but someone in a big company or big government in your very own country!
Wake up the day after that? gently caress YOU, the McRib will always be for a limited time only!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Jerusalem posted:

I agree, as far as I'm concerned the strips are as good as they've always been, they're just taking far too long between strips for my liking.

I dunno man, I feel like I've been the biggest "Achewood is still good, when it actually updates" guy around, but aside from "Medically speaking, yes, Ray is partying" and "I HAVE A PRINCE ALBERT" this post-hiatus stuff has been pretty drat weak.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wake up tomorrow? gently caress YOU, someone out there is actively trying to make you poorer!
Wake up the next day? gently caress YOU, someone is trying to destroy your very way of life, and it's not terrorists but someone in a big company or big government in your very own country!
Wake up the day after that? gently caress YOU, the McRib will always be for a limited time only!

This is the most impressive summing-up of our current world I have ever seen.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Waiting 3 or 4 weeks for a really lovely strip is pretty standard for the last two years of Achewood. I've stopped being disappointed.

Well, mostly.

It's really sad to watch what was once a great comic limp along because the creator is too mentally broken to take any proper action, one way or another.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Diet Poison posted:

I dunno man, I feel like I've been the biggest "Achewood is still good, when it actually updates" guy around, but aside from "Medically speaking, yes, Ray is partying" and "I HAVE A PRINCE ALBERT" this post-hiatus stuff has been pretty drat weak.

I also really loved the newspaper Beef imagined. Onstad does trashy better than anyone else (just look at Maynard and his prosthetic fece, or Lyle's romantic life).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
At last, the return of the couple from the Fuckin' poster in Pat's spaceship!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Darthemed posted:

At last, the return of the couple from the Fuckin' poster in Pat's spaceship!

I know he said in the Dark Horse book that that poster was one of his five favorite things in the strip ever.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
In more upbeat areas, I would like to say that this is one of my all time favorite Achewood sentences:

"It's just That Society Did My Nerves Up Wretched"

It's one that I identify more and more with as I grow up and learn about the world. :unsmith:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Deathlove posted:

I know he said in the Dark Horse book that that poster was one of his five favorite things in the strip ever.

I would totally buy one of those if they existed. But Onstad kind of missed his chance to make them. :smith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He could still take our money and then not make them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

say no to bats posted:

It's really sad to watch what was once a great comic limp along because the creator is too mentally broken to take any proper action, one way or another.
I'm curious - I checked into this thread to see people's input on why Achewood has been so uninteresting lately. What exactly happened to the author? Or does he generally just seem to have burned out?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Two-ish years ago Onstad starting showing his fatigue w/r/t Achewood as his previously regular schedule of 2-3 weekly updates fell apart. The strips also started to take a decidedly darker tone - for example, Teodor (who had long been kind of his author-insert character) had a very unfortunate series of events befall him during the Achewood High arch (which some people took to imply that Onstand himself was struggling with his own identity, sexuality, etc.), and Roast Beef's depression started to become a very overt focus of multiple strips. This was around the same time that the updates completely stopped, and then Onstad started making comments online about how he was personally having depression. Later, Onstad made more remarks in online interviews that a lot of people took to be self-serving, and combined with the whole debacle that resulted from stealing people's Cook Book 2 pre-order money, everyone just assumed that he had lost his last shred of desire to ever do anything interesting or funny with Achewood again.

Then late last year, Onstad made another "HEY ACHEWOOD IS BACK PLEASE GIVE ME MONEY" comic and has so far managed to crank out roughly one comic a month, but the tone is so different and unfamiliar (at least w/r/t what most people consider to be the "core" Achewood continuity and theme) that it seems like he doesn't want to do Achewood any more, but also doesn't have the confidence or ambition or whatever to develop some completely new IP.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
For some reason, Onstad has linked a 2009 Time magazine Cornelius piece.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catfish Noodlin posted:

For some reason, Onstad has linked a 2009 Time magazine Cornelius piece.

It's for all the poor bastards that are just now hearing about Achewood.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Shame Achewood is still in limbo, but I'm glad he's ditched the Discuss links on all the comics. I hate webcomics that let every dumbass on the internet put a comment beneath them, and I know it's been the death of a few when the authors couldn't take the "YOUR COMIC SUCKS NOW ALSO KILL YOURSELF" any longer.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Remember that time Ray got hit in the head with a softball, and got embarrassed over a peaches lack of pants?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It tickled the sex receptacle in his brain.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

paint dry posted:

Shame Achewood is still in limbo, but I'm glad he's ditched the Discuss links on all the comics. I hate webcomics that let every dumbass on the internet put a comment beneath them, and I know it's been the death of a few when the authors couldn't take the "YOUR COMIC SUCKS NOW ALSO KILL YOURSELF" any longer.

Weren't Onstad's usually a bunch of regulars who tried to cleverly riff in the Achewood vernacular? I remember checking the comments a couple times and it was sort of like a Star Trek convention where you dress up your words like a cat who enjoys partying, instead of dressing your body like something Rick Berman dedicated his twilight years to destroying.

EDIT: I was trying to say they were better than your average comments section/forum, not worse. Don't know if that came through at all. Just a bunch of fans goofing off, tho I didn't see them near the end. Did they get messy?

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 29, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Is the title of this thread suppose to parody the old forum link to the posted comic with said fans?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
There is a book called "Achewood Volume 2: Worst Song, Played on Ugliest Guitar", which is from this comic: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07172002

If it came from somewhere else prior to its usage in 2002, I do not know.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

mysterious frankie posted:

EDIT: I was trying to say they were better than your average comments section/forum, not worse. Don't know if that came through at all. Just a bunch of fans goofing off, tho I didn't see them near the end. Did they get messy?

All I remember from reading Assetbar conversations was that everybody seemed to be way too much into the whole chubbie/lame comment rating system.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Howard Beale posted:

All I remember from reading Assetbar conversations was that everybody seemed to be way too much into the whole chubbie/lame comment rating system.

Yeah. It was all a bit weird. Lately they had been critical of Onstad, which is fair enough, but getting it off the site is a wise move.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
New strip?!?!?

e: Ayup: http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04012012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm torn between "Gee, I hope Onstead is okay" and "Maybe it's taking forever between strips because he's not as good at Scrabble as Roast Beef".

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Terrible.

Fade to black, let it die. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well that blew.