Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Apidae posted:

I had an IUD placed last week, and had sex last night. I'm sore and crampy feeling again, like how I was for a few days after having the IUD put in, and I've had a tiny amount of bleeding. It's probably because things got jostled around, right?

I still bleed after sex sometimes, six months after having my IUD in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Apidae posted:

I had an IUD placed last week, and had sex last night. I'm sore and crampy feeling again, like how I was for a few days after having the IUD put in, and I've had a tiny amount of bleeding. It's probably because things got jostled around, right?

In my experience this is perfectly normal. I'm two years in to having my Mirena and I still get cramps like clockwork after sex, sometimes with blood. It might be better for someone with a differently placed cervix, but if you get buffeted in the cervix during sex regularly you might want to expect cramping after sex.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Skywriter posted:

If I were to get a hysterectomy, would that effectively take care of my PCOS? I recognize that it's drastic, and that it's not the first line of defense, but I'm not having children anyway, so would that be an option? Anyone had it done?

There used to be a PCOS megathread but I think it must be archived. The OP was apparently ElanoreMcMantis if that helps you search (if you have archives + google). I would suggest you make a thread in The Goon Doctor and hopefully they'll be able to give you more idea of what the options and the pros/cons of each are.

Apidae posted:

You are fine :)

oishii posted:

Soooo does anybody have any good advice as to where I can get Yasmin for <$90+ a month? I'm an international student here so I don't have any insurance. My old prescription / packs from back home ran out and the Planned Parenthood here doesn't carry them (although I can get a prescription written if I want) :( I got put on something 'similar' called Desogen but I don't like it at all.
Yasmin was the pill that I finally liked after trying a bunch of them over the years and I'd really like to stay on it if I could!
Is it a Bad Idea to buy online? And what are these "Internet Drug Coupons" that I see around the 'net? Do those even work?

Help!

Are you eligible for student insurance through your university? Check into it. In the US at least schools tend not to like it when students are uninsured, so they have some limited plan available.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I've been on Depo for years and I like that I have no period, but I have almost no sex drive. Is there any way to stay on this method and increase my sex drive? I've used all the pills in the world, but I need Depo because I am in extreme pain whenever I have a period. I absolutely cannot have them. What can I do??

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Maximusi posted:

I've been on Depo for years and I like that I have no period, but I have almost no sex drive. Is there any way to stay on this method and increase my sex drive? I've used all the pills in the world, but I need Depo because I am in extreme pain whenever I have a period. I absolutely cannot have them. What can I do??

Have you considered a Mirena? It's approved as a treatment for heavy, painful periods and will reduce or eliminate them for almost everyone who uses it. And the hormone dose is MUCH lower than the Depo, so it will be much less likely to hurt your sex drive.

Morozko
Dec 21, 2010

Shrek is love
Shrek is life
UPDATE: So I started taking my placebo pills on Sunday and I started spotting on Monday morning. And today, I finally got a full period! Thank you Eggplant Wizard and Scald for being helpful and supportive!:glomp:

Although I have another rather minor question. It's a bit TMI. As I was changing my tampon an half an hour ago when I noticed a rather long, stringy thing of blood. A blood clot, I think. I did a little research and it doesn't seem too abnormal but I've been menstruating for almost eight years and this has never happened. I have no idea what the hell caused it. Any ideas?

Morozko fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 29, 2012

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?

Morozko posted:

Although I have another rather minor question. It's a bit TMI. As I was changing my tampon an half an hour ago when I noticed a rather long, stringy thing of blood. A blood clot, I think. I did a little research and it doesn't seem too abnormal but I've been menstruating for almost eight years and this has never happened. I have no idea what the hell caused it. Any ideas?

Clots are the little chunks found in menstrual blood, especially if it's heavy. Blood strings are also normal, and generally just means that your flow is on the heavy side. Nothing to lose sleep over :)

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Morozko posted:

UPDATE: So I started taking my placebo pills on Sunday and I started spotting on Monday morning. And today, I finally got a full period! Thank you Eggplant Wizard and Scald for being helpful and supportive!:glomp:

I started getting those after I started on birth control, It's totally normal and nothing to worry about!

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

My girlfriend started on Yaz about a month ago, and she's been lightly bleeding for the last 3 weeks or so. She says it happens every day, and it's about the same amount of blood she gets when her period is winding down.

When she first started, she asked her doctor and the doctor said if it continues for a few weeks, tell her about it because something could potentially be wrong. She told her about it, and the doctor said ok, tell me again in a few weeks if it continues. So I'm not really sure what her doctor is thinking, and my girlfriend hasn't been given any real information about it.

Can anyone give me any help on this? Is this normal?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Lanthanum posted:

I started getting those after I started on birth control, It's totally normal and nothing to worry about!

I got them occasionally before, but I definitely noticed an increase in them after I started birth control too.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

aherdofpenguins posted:

Can anyone give me any help on this? Is this normal?

It's probably just spotting, and it's a completely normal reaction to hormonal birth control. Usually it stops after the first period; sometimes it can go on for longer. The first three months on hormonal birth control can have odd side effects; usually these side effects go away by the third month. If it doesn't go away after two or so cycles, she could tell her doctor, and her doctor would probably give her another brand of pills to try.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Bagleworm posted:

It's probably just spotting, and it's a completely normal reaction to hormonal birth control. Usually it stops after the first period; sometimes it can go on for longer. The first three months on hormonal birth control can have odd side effects; usually these side effects go away by the third month. If it doesn't go away after two or so cycles, she could tell her doctor, and her doctor would probably give her another brand of pills to try.

Great, thanks!

I'll let her know, and probably come back here freaking out if anything changes in the slightest.

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
Trip report #2:

I got a Mirena in November and it expelled itself :( (not entirely though). So I returned to the doctor this morning to have it replaced. Getting the old one out was pretty easy since it was already headed in that direction. The woman performing the procedure this time was very careful and triple-checked the placement of the new one. I'm grumpy and crampy, but here's to hoping it stays put.

Kind of wishing I'd taken the day off of work, but am already taking vacation in a few weeks so I came into the office right after the appointment. Can't wait to get home to a heating pad and some comfy clothes.

Diving Buttress
Aug 20, 2002

oh jesus christ
Got a Paragard inserted yesterday. Overall it was a surprisingly easy experience. The doctor did a cervical block so it wouldn't be so painful. There were a couple pinches, and before I knew it she said "OK, I'm cutting the strings now." I've had menstrual cramps that felt worse. This was without even taking ibuprofen beforehand - I'm taking coumadin to treat DVT, so NSAIDs are not recommended. Lidocaine is wonderful.

I felt a little shaky afterwards, and it was crampy once the lidocaine wore off, but today I feel totally normal. I'm still taking it easy. The strings are a little pokey in there but they'll soften I guess.

Medium Blue
Jan 19, 2012

Diving Buttress posted:

The strings are a little pokey in there

It's been maybe a month and a half for me and I've noticed that my strings sometimes curl up nicely but then sometimes come down. My partner has never felt them - well, until last night, when he suddenly said 'I think I'm hitting your IUD. It's a bit...scratchy. Yeah I think - OW'

So I backed off and he had to wait bemusedly while I took a minute to tuck things away. Then it was all fine again.

Glad your fitting seems to have gone so well!

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
I think I'll definitely have to get my strings trimmed. Getting close-ish to my period and they're way low again. It's going to drive me crazy until I fix it.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.
I was on my second Nuva Ring, and I started to get the beginnings of a migraine every day. Even though I was only about 1.5 weeks into this cycle of the ring being in, I took it out on Wednesday because I couldn't deal with the headaches anymore. I didn't get a headache Wed, Thurs, or yesterday. Tonight I got the beginnings of one again, and I got a hot flash. Any idea how long it takes for the hormones to "flush" out of my system?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Skywriter posted:

I was on my second Nuva Ring, and I started to get the beginnings of a migraine every day. Even though I was only about 1.5 weeks into this cycle of the ring being in, I took it out on Wednesday because I couldn't deal with the headaches anymore. I didn't get a headache Wed, Thurs, or yesterday. Tonight I got the beginnings of one again, and I got a hot flash. Any idea how long it takes for the hormones to "flush" out of my system?

It's possible that they did "flush out" around that 4th day and that caused the headache/hot flash. Any kind of hormonal fluctuation can have weird effects. I'm not really sure how long it takes to be honest. The trick is that there's an adjustment period for your body to start back in with its own hormones and things can still be off until then.

Medium Blue
Jan 19, 2012
gently caress, gently caress, gently caress. I was taking my cup out this morning, on the third day of my second period with the copper IUD, and I must have pulled on the strings because there was suddenly a single strong cramp, and when I was washing up, I realised the ends of the strings were actually outside, and when I checked I could feel the loving vertical bar of the IUD. Cue cold sweat. I called up the clinic and they said I could drop in, so I have to cancel two or three prior engagements and cab over later after this other thing I can't possibly skip. I'm also going abroad TOMORROW so oh my god why now.

(Posting to feel better :()

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Medium Blue posted:

gently caress, gently caress, gently caress. I was taking my cup out this morning, on the third day of my second period with the copper IUD, and I must have pulled on the strings because there was suddenly a single strong cramp, and when I was washing up, I realised the ends of the strings were actually outside, and when I checked I could feel the loving vertical bar of the IUD. Cue cold sweat. I called up the clinic and they said I could drop in, so I have to cancel two or three prior engagements and cab over later after this other thing I can't possibly skip. I'm also going abroad TOMORROW so oh my god why now.

(Posting to feel better :(

Oh god this is my biggest fear with my iud right now. Are you a new cup user and/or was this a new cup? My strings are pretty high up around my cervix, I can't imagine pulling them down now.

:( anyways, that loving blows. On the upside, at least you caught it and you're not pregnant? Are you going to get another inserted?

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

Medium Blue posted:

(Posting to feel better :()

How did this turn out? Everything okay? Did you get another one inserted?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Diving Buttress posted:

Got a Paragard inserted yesterday. Overall it was a surprisingly easy experience. The doctor did a cervical block so it wouldn't be so painful. There were a couple pinches, and before I knew it she said "OK, I'm cutting the strings now." I've had menstrual cramps that felt worse. This was without even taking ibuprofen beforehand - I'm taking coumadin to treat DVT, so NSAIDs are not recommended. Lidocaine is wonderful.

I already have Mirena but I'm definitely looking into Paragard when my time's up with this IUD. The IUD thing works for me generally (except my ongoing saga with the strings being an issue) but I certainly would like to avoid hormones if possible.

I'm kind of stuck between Implanon and Paragard. So any information on how that IUD works for you would be great.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Implanon has more hormones than Mirena. Or rather, at the very very end of Implanon's cycle, it has the same amount, but for most of its lifecycle it's considerably more. Just something to consider.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Butt Wizard posted:

Implanon has more hormones than Mirena. Or rather, at the very very end of Implanon's cycle, it has the same amount, but for most of its lifecycle it's considerably more. Just something to consider.

Also, Implanon works primarily as a systemic contraceptive, going through the brain, while Mirena is based on a localised effect and a double whammy of being in the uterus and leaking there. That's not to say it doesn't leak hormones into the bloodstream, but the level is less than Implanon. Additionally, consider the possibility of responding differently to the different hormones (etonorgestrel vs levonorgestrel). Doing a mini-pill trial run might be an idea before committing to a hormonal version.

edit: misread stuff.

Menschsein fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 14, 2012

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

Ugh. Not knowing when my period if supposed to be is stressing me out. It's been about 30 days since the end of my last one, and it still hasn't started. And the stress of it is probably postponing it even more. My strings seem to be in place. None of the plastic is poking through or anything, so I doubt I'm pregnant (though I might cave and get a pregnancy test if it doesn't come in the next week). This will have been my second period since I started Mirena. Is it possible to stop having them altogether this early on?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

uberwekkness posted:

Ugh. Not knowing when my period if supposed to be is stressing me out. It's been about 30 days since the end of my last one, and it still hasn't started. And the stress of it is probably postponing it even more. My strings seem to be in place. None of the plastic is poking through or anything, so I doubt I'm pregnant (though I might cave and get a pregnancy test if it doesn't come in the next week). This will have been my second period since I started Mirena. Is it possible to stop having them altogether this early on?

I didn't lose mine altogether that early, but it did get further apart and much lighter pretty much immediately.

Take a pregnancy test to get yourself over being freaked out and relax. You get used to it.

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
If you're periods have stopped this early, and you think you're going to be worried about it, pick these up. Most of the pregnancy tests you can get in CVS/Rite-Aid/etc are stupid expensive. Those strips are cheap enough that you can indulge your paranoia and use a couple a month for less than a dollar.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

uberwekkness posted:

I had two periods after getting my Mirena and then pretty much nothing save a few spots every now and then since then. IT OWNS

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

gabi posted:

If you're periods have stopped this early, and you think you're going to be worried about it, pick these up. Most of the pregnancy tests you can get in CVS/Rite-Aid/etc are stupid expensive. Those strips are cheap enough that you can indulge your paranoia and use a couple a month for less than a dollar.

Those look awesome. I'll order them in the next couple days. :)

Thanks, guys. Hearing that they can just start being further apart has especially helped me a lot. I'll keep you all updated.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Does anyone use a period tracker app for their phone or tablet that they would recommend? The one I've been using doesn't actually adjust the calculations based on your actual periods, which I didn't realize. I can change the number of days it uses to tell me when my next period will be, but that means sitting down and calculating out all the ones I've recorded previously. What I'd really like is an app that says "oh, your last cycle was 21 days, and the one before that was 24, let's average that and predict the next one that way" or some such.

Otherwise I'll just go back to writing it down in the back of a notebook like I did in college, I guess.

My last period was "late" enough that I started to get worried, even though my husband has had a vasectomy. As expensive as pregnancy tests are, buying ovulation monitors by accident is WAY more expensive. Thankfully I noticed my mistake before I opened the package and was able to get $30 back. I don't think my period was actually late, I think my tracker app is just not calibrated to my current cycle. Since I always had short cycles when I was younger, I assumed that would be the case once I got off BC, and got a little panicky around the 30 day mark.

And now I have two extra pregnancy test wands, because they only had packets of three. I hid them in my desk drawer at work, there's no sense spreading my paranoia to my husband.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

RazorBunny posted:

Does anyone use a period tracker app for their phone or tablet that they would recommend? The one I've been using doesn't actually adjust the calculations based on your actual periods, which I didn't realize. I can change the number of days it uses to tell me when my next period will be, but that means sitting down and calculating out all the ones I've recorded previously. What I'd really like is an app that says "oh, your last cycle was 21 days, and the one before that was 24, let's average that and predict the next one that way" or some such.

Otherwise I'll just go back to writing it down in the back of a notebook like I did in college, I guess.

I use Ovuview on Android, and I really like it. there's a free version and a paid version. The free version tracks the same data, but it doesn't let you see some of it. The paid version also has a widget! (My boyfriend is a data addict, and he bought the paid version, while I use the free version on my phone.)

It takes all previous cycles into account when predicting both your ovulation and your period. You can even select to exclude certain cycles, if your body freaked out one month for no reason. If you're tracking other things like cervical mucous/discharge, cervix position, and basal temperature, it takes those into account too! It uses a combination of different methods, depending what info you give it. It's very comprehensive, easy to use, and it's also quite pretty to look at!

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Bagleworm posted:

I use Ovuview on Android, and I really like it. there's a free version and a paid version. The free version tracks the same data, but it doesn't let you see some of it. The paid version also has a widget! (My boyfriend is a data addict, and he bought the paid version, while I use the free version on my phone.)

It takes all previous cycles into account when predicting both your ovulation and your period. You can even select to exclude certain cycles, if your body freaked out one month for no reason. If you're tracking other things like cervical mucous/discharge, cervix position, and basal temperature, it takes those into account too! It uses a combination of different methods, depending what info you give it. It's very comprehensive, easy to use, and it's also quite pretty to look at!

I use My Days on Android but I just might switch to this one. Though I only use it to remind myself when my last period was as, thanks to Implanon, irregular bleeding is my destiny.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I saw this posted in various areas on SA but I think it should be made aware of in here too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...&comm_ref=false

Important for Arizona ladies. :( Basically scumbags in Arizona want to make it so employers who provide insurance can fire women who pay for birth control with their company provided insurance plans, unless they can prove that they are taking BC for what I assume they have to deem a "legitimate medical reason".

Because not wanting to be pregnant isn't enough.

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
I wouldn't worry about it (well, worry about the state of the nation, not worry about this being in effect.) It's so unconstitutional that it will never happen.

I wonder whose idea it was to alienate half the country thinking it would win them an election?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
There are an awful lot of women who vote as if they hate women.

eta: e.g. the stories on this page. I'm not trying to be combative or angry; it's a simple fact that many people support policies that are not actually in their favor.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 16, 2012

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

And now I have two extra pregnancy test wands, because they only had packets of three. I hid them in my desk drawer at work, there's no sense spreading my paranoia to my husband.

Send them to me. :stare:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

uberwekkness posted:

Send them to me. :stare:

I can totally do that, PM me and I'll slip them in a padded envelope and send them off.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

IUD #2 removal report:
As with my first IUD, my uterus ate the strings of my second Mirena so I got to have a more complicated removal than most. Last time really, really sucked, so I was not looking forward to this one. Thankfully it was a lot less painful than last time. Here is how it went, in case anyone else is facing a more complicated removal and wants to know what it might be like.

Step 1: Look for IUD strings with mascara wand thing. No dice. This step is not typically painful for most women and was totally painless for me.

Step 2: Look for strings/IUD with IUD hook. I was expecting this to be painful based on last time, but it was only mildly uncomfortable. Unfortunately, this also yielded no results. Even though he was able to get it in without causing me any real pain he was also unable to locate the strings or feel the IUD with it.

At this point we had two directions we could take. Option 1 is to numb my cervix and try to get the IUD out with hemostats (or something very similar to hemostats anyway). This runs the risk of being pretty painful in spite of the numbing, because for some women the uterus itself is sensitive and will cramp during the procedure, while for others the cervix is the main source of pain, so numbing it makes things tolerable. Option 2 is to go into the OR, get knocked out briefly, and let them grab the IUD with a hysteroscope. This will be less painful, but more expensive. It's pretty much guaranteed to work as long as the IUD is actually in your uterus.

I went for option 1 because the numbing had worked pretty well for me the last time and I didn't want to worry about the cost of option 2 (my insurance doesn't pay for IUD insertion and it remains to be seen whether they will cover my removal). He numbed me first with a lidocaine spray, then did the injection. This was less painful than the last time (when they did not have the spray to use on me). I could feel some mild discomfort and pressure but that was about it. Then he used the instruments to try to get the IUD and/or the strings. It took about 5 or 6 tries (more pressure and discomfort, but not real pain). The only time I cramped was on the final pull when he got hold of the strings and pulled the IUD out. Just one medium intensity cramp and it was done. I suspect if the IUD strings had been available from the start that cramp is all I would have had to deal with.

So no drugs other than the lidocaine and it really wasn't that bad. So far only some very mild spotting. I am interested to see how quickly my normal cycles return post-removal. Also, they let me keep the IUD (I'm a weirdo who thinks that kind of thing is cool).

That_Spoony_Bard
Feb 17, 2011
Hi there, long time viewer, first time caller etc etc.

I'm dating a woman who has implanon as her birth control. Now, I've done some research on implanon, and from what I've seen, the effectiveness of it on overweight women is unknown, since the test group didn't have any overweight women in it. If I had to guess, I'd say she's around 230-260lbs.

She's had it since last march (she had it put in a few months after her first kid was born), and I think back then she was roughly the same weight, give or take. Now, common sense dictates that if she got the implant inserted at a well known research hospital's women's clinic, that they're confident that it'd work for her. Can anyone speak to this situation at all? I'd like to continue to have unprotected sex with her (we've done it twice without condoms), but I'm a little hesitant since I've researched the birth control.

TL;DR: Dating overweight gal with implanon, can't find info re: effectiveness on overweight population, don't want to get her knocked up.

Edit: Wording

That_Spoony_Bard fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonsaresour
Feb 17, 2011
I had my first ever pelvic exam today. I decided to make an appointment to talk to a doctor about my severe PMS symptoms. The doctor was less concerned with the severity of my symptoms and more worried about me being a (according to her) very heavy bleeder. She prescribed me Loestrin 24Fe. I'm excited to get started and see if this will help me.

• Locked thread