Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

Incidentally, while I understand why it happened, her death is one of the few things I really think Hussie should have done differently (in that I think, 'hubris, etc.' be damned, she should have lived and continued to grow as a person/character. Killing her off was something of a missed opportunity.)

There's a difference between what's right from a moral standpoint and what's right from a literary standpoint. I think the point of view that someone deserves to die for their hubris (even potentially disastrous hubris) is pretty awful, but it's hard to find fault with the writing of her arc. Watching her manage to grow up would probably have made for a nice feel-good story, but that sort of thing is like literary junk food--tasty, but not filling or nutritious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Gabriel Pope posted:

There's a difference between what's right from a moral standpoint and what's right from a literary standpoint. I think the point of view that someone deserves to die for their hubris (even potentially disastrous hubris) is pretty awful, but it's hard to find fault with the writing of her arc. Watching her manage to grow up would probably have made for a nice feel-good story, but that sort of thing is like literary junk food--tasty, but not filling or nutritious.

I dunno, I liked her death. By the time she reached it, she had all but grasped why her friends hated her and died doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gabriel Pope posted:

It would be a better direction for the story in my opinion. Hussie was very successfully set up a character who, through her hubris, did some stupid poo poo and wound up dying for it, and it makes sense. However, in this particular case, and this particular story, I don't think that was the best direction to take that character. This is a story where there are large build-ups that are regularly subverted for comedy reasons (with a good example being Kanaya nutting Gamzee off the ledge they were on.) Killing the character is generally how you end that kind of arc, and indeed how Hussie chose to handle it, but I just don't agree that it was the best choice.

Your metaphor at the end is good, and I generally agree, but I don't think Hussie's method of handling it was particularly satisfying, either. Maybe that's just my personal bias, I don't know.

EDIT: Hahah, I just realized that first paragraph was me saying the same thing three times in a row (just in different ways.) :v:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

King of Solomon posted:

It would be a better direction for the story in my opinion. Hussie was very successfully set up a character who, through her hubris, did some stupid poo poo and wound up dying for it, and it makes sense. However, in this particular case, and this particular story, I don't think that was the best direction to take that character. This is a story where there are large build-ups that are regularly subverted for comedy reasons (with a good example being Kanaya nutting Gamzee off the ledge they were on.) Killing the character is generally how you end that kind of arc, and indeed how Hussie chose to handle it, but I just don't agree that it was the best choice.
Don't worry man it's all a set up for Vriska to come tearing out of the dream bubbles and back into the story at the most tense awesome moment possible (which being Vriska is whatever moment she chooses obviously) and make everything about her again.

I was joking when I typed that but then I realised I would unironically love it if something like that happened, but I can't help but feel it's a vain hope. :smith:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Rose posted:

From what I understand, everything already has gone wrong before the game even started, in many different ways than ours did.

Nooooooooooo poo poo, really? :v: I hadn't noticed, what with the killer agents, players split across time, lack of prototyping towers, the loving Condescension...

EDIT: Yep, that's what I thought. No prototyping, no towers, no battlefield evolution, no new universe.

Currently, anyway.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 16, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
So I guess this is (part of) what UU's been reading!

I liked the acknowledgment of the fact that Dave was just sort of ranting at himself all the way across the room from Rose and Kanaya instead of actually properly talking to them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So, I wonder what a properly attuned Hero of Void could do in a Void session, now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In that last page, there's already film forming on the surface of the coffee.

They drink that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Bongo Bill posted:

In that last page, there's already film forming on the surface of the coffee.

They drink that.

Well at least we know what Gamzee's doing

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
"Be sure it makes it to the table before it accumulates that strange unctuous film on the surface"

I don't think that's coffee, usually coffee doesn't congeal after several minutes in open air

what the hell are they drinking

e: beat to the punch

again

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

King of Solomon posted:

So, I wonder what a properly attuned Hero of Void could do in a Void session, now.

Yeah, that seems like it ought to fit together somehow.

Notice how Dave says "these alt universe players" rather than something more specific. That would seem to suggest that if they've figured out who the players are, he hasn't heard. Of course we don't know where on the asteroid journey's timeline Rose's brief run-in with Roxy fits, so she might have only just figured it out, or it might not have happened yet.

...or it might just be Dave showing off how hard he doesn't care, again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah, they probably don't know that Jade is bringing the battlefield. Well maybe Rose does and it'll all be part of the plan...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I think they're going to replace the infertile-but-okay core of skaia from this session with the fertile-but-doomed core from the original session and end up with a non-doomed, fertile skaia.

So kind of like how they swap the nucleus of a random cell with a reproductive cell's when they're cloning something, except with universes instead of sheep.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
Somehow I thought that the coffee would actually be Tavros blood, and I was actually kind of right!

Also why is Terezi's blood in the coffee?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Did Kanaya turn everyone into a Dracula? Because that's not normal :ohdear:
Edit: Phones gently caress up everything
Edit: jesus loving christ I am getting worked up over this app

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 16, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Saradiart posted:

Somehow I thought that the coffee would actually be Tavros blood, and I was actually kind of right!

Also why is Terezi's blood in the coffee?

Wait, what? Checking this again.

...I really, really hope we're reading the wrong thing into that...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be refraction, not blood.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Refracted perfectly into the blood color of Eridan, Tavros, Nepeta, and Terezi?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Saradiart posted:

coincidence

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It's really bad coffee with a weird oily film on it. Cold coffee reheated or something. Delicious.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Bongo Bill posted:

If that was refraction, it would mean they were drinking gasoline. Coffee doesn't refract light like that.

And I was just wondering earlier today if we'd ever see the bit about Kanaya biting Terezi back during the Trollpocalypse last year become important. Looks like we might now.

pandaK posted:

coincidence

Come on, there is no such thing as "coincidence" in Homestuck.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Saradiart posted:

Terezi isn't even dead.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

^ Uh, isn't that Sollux color, not Nepeta? I think you guys are reading in to this too much.

President Ark posted:

I think they're going to replace the infertile-but-okay core of skaia from this session with the fertile-but-doomed core from the original session and end up with a non-doomed, fertile skaia.

So kind of like how they swap the nucleus of a random cell with a reproductive cell's when they're cloning something, except with universes instead of sheep.

Yes, this is my bet, too. The only problem is that the original battlefield produced The Tumor, so I'm not sure if it actually can produce anything else now that The Tumor has been removed.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
I think it's supposed to be Vriska's colour, not Terezi's.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

The blue looks more like Vriska's color than Terezi's. Which would make more sense anyway, what with Vriska being dead and Terezi not.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

If that was refraction, it would mean they were drinking gasoline. Coffee doesn't refract light like that.

Gasoline isn't the only thing that refracts. They were just talking about the "strange unctuous film" that this lovely coffee develops if you leave it sitting too long.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Could it be a Spider's blood?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Elysiume posted:

Terezi isn't even dead.

But she has gone missing.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cleretic posted:

But she has gone missing.
I don't want my two favorite trolls to be dead. :(

I guess that death is kind of temporary but still.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Elysiume posted:

Terezi isn't even dead.

Dialoglog posted:

DAVE: anyone seen terezi around
ROSE: No.
ROSE: Why?
DAVE: we were gonna do a thing
DAVE: but shes not around and not answering my messages
DAVE: on any one of the probably ten thousand computers lying around that they would show up on

:ohdear:

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Saradiart posted:

Looks more like a distorted reflection of Rose's god-tier outfit (same colours, same order), and some as-yet-undetermined purple thing.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

TOAST7312 posted:

:ohdear:

Kanaya killed Terezi and drained her blood so that she could be resurrected as a spooky vampire troll.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I don't drink enough coffee to be certain, but I know tea sometimes does exactly this if you leave it standing around for too long. I mean, this could very well mean something beyond "this is exceedingly lovely coffee" but I wouldn't just take it as given that the coffee is being spiked with all the dead trolls' blood for some reason. (I suppose that if they don't make it to the new session because they keep putting each other in their beverages until there is nothing left then that would explain why UU didn't mention them.)

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

The last two colors are Sollux's and Vriska's respectively.

e: I probably shouldn't have used MSpaint due to that terrible artifacting, but I was lazy. Sorry!

e2: vvvv Homestuck is pretty macabre (http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005020)

Saradiart fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 16, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This seems liked it would be a bit too macabre for Homestuck.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Nate RFB posted:

This seems liked it would be a bit too macabre for Homestuck.
I dunno man, we've witnessed some hosed up poo poo here.
K8ll me comes to mind
vvvvvvvvv
That still leaves the question of where it gets the blood from and that always leads back to the dead thirteen year olds

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 16, 2012

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Maybe the machine synthesises drinks for people it detects on the asteroid, so it makes coffee for all the non-vampires but then Kanaya is a vampire so it gins up some blood in the coffee.

This would be grim.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
K8LL M8 was really intense and tragic, it's a different sort of hosed up from "hey you've been drinking dead alien blood for 3 years and you didn't even know it".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gamzee is missing and has all the corpses of the trolls with those blood colours.

Gamzee is putting blood in the coffee machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

K8LL M8 was really intense and tragic, it's a different sort of hosed up from "hey you've been drinking dead alien blood for 3 years and you didn't even know it".

On the plus side, drinking troll blood gives you a fatal disease super-powers!