Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MasterColin posted:

I have some amazon GCs I need to use tonight, may get a Rat MMO7.

Any suggestions on a good mousepad?

I'm a fan of the smoothed plastic cutting board style mouse pads. I wore an old Everglide Attack Pad flat in the middle, but they stopped making it. I replaced it with a Ratpadz which has held up for over three years so far: http://www.ratpadz.com/

Note that they've got a constant free shipping and $5 off thing going, so they're $19.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

For a contrarian opinion, I bought a ratpadz at the advice of a coworker, and replaced it with a razer vespula after about 2 months. The surface is quite abrasive and they way it's designed it is nearly impossible to get the entire surface flat, so the mouse will scrape a great deal depending on hour worn the feet of your mouse are. As for an actual reccomendation, I don't think I'll ever purchase anything aside from a funcmat archetype for as long as they keep selling them. I'm still using the one I bought 5 years ago.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Full Circle posted:

For a contrarian opinion, I bought a ratpadz at the advice of a coworker, and replaced it with a razer vespula after about 2 months. The surface is quite abrasive and they way it's designed it is nearly impossible to get the entire surface flat, so the mouse will scrape a great deal depending on hour worn the feet of your mouse are. As for an actual reccomendation, I don't think I'll ever purchase anything aside from a funcmat archetype for as long as they keep selling them. I'm still using the one I bought 5 years ago.

I'm guessing that the wear may depend on your mouse feet and how flat the ratpadz is. When I used the razer lachesis, I'd end up putting frag tape style feet on it every couple of months that would get worn through as I used them on the ratpadz. With the Logitech G500 I replaced it with, the feet have held up for over a year with no modification or extra tape. I'm sure they are getting worn down but it's barely noticeable to me. I was annoyed with having to redo the mouse feet on the lachesis so often, so if these wear flat I'm going to try to find replacement feet that are similar to the original feet since they have worn so slowly.

As for flatness, when I got my ratpadz it was bowed, but I used their "bend it on a kitchen counter" method to flatten it out and so far I've only had to readjust it once. Admittedly it's just a hunk of plastic, getting it perfectly flat may involve some luck. It's a very no-frills version of the everglide style pads.

To the original question asker, maybe go with something more mainstream if you're unsure. I like these, but you may not.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Rexxed posted:

I'm a fan of the smoothed plastic cutting board style mouse pads. I wore an old Everglide Attack Pad flat in the middle, but they stopped making it. I replaced it with a Ratpadz which has held up for over three years so far: http://www.ratpadz.com/

Note that they've got a constant free shipping and $5 off thing going, so they're $19.99.
Gotta 2nd the ratpadz. I got one after realizing how terrible cloth style mouse pads are and this thing owns. Had it for a few months and my mouse easily glides over it and I havent had any issues.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Throwing a vote for the Icemat (now Steelseries experience I-2). It's made of glass and I have to imagine it would outlast all other pads soft or hard. I've been using mine for about 5-6 years with no visible wear. It's probably not for everyone but I like it a lot. It wears mouse feet faster than normal I would say so I replace mouse feet probably every 2 months.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Sup Icemat bro :):hf::)

Another vote for the icemat from here. It's more of a style choice, not sure I'd get another glass one if it broke, but it's really cool. I've had mine for 6-something years as well, and shows no wear at all either. Super easy to clean as well, just wipe it with a wet cloth, or spray it with some windex first to get worse fat goony soda and pizza stains off.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've used a Steelseries SX for some years, and I can't really recommend it at it's price point(85-90$ I think it was) or any other aluminium mouse pads.

The oxidized metal does not wear out at all, and it's easy to keep clean/looking nice. The problem is that it's a sheet of metal, which makes it cold.

If you have any residual moisture on your hands, like if you have just washed your hands or you are sweaty in warm weather, it will condense on the mousepad.

It looks stylish though, just not with partial hand shapes of moisture on it.

Looks like it's discontinued for a reason.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I just have pathetic girly hands but I cannot use hard mouse pads, I get a pressure point on my wrist. I switched to a Razor Goliathus Control (the smallest size) and I've been very happy with it. The texture really helps with precise movement (I use high sensitivity) and it's comfortable too. And only cost me £9 I think.

I guess one of those gel wrist rests would solve the comfort issue too.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Tunga posted:

I guess one of those gel wrist rests would solve the comfort issue too.
If you have a light grip (fingers or fingertips) I can't urge you enough to grab one of those, they cost as much as a sandwich and they are absolutely worth it. And if you don't have a palmrest already, grab a second one for your keyboard hand too.

BTW, if you can, I also recommend for your mouse hand a beanbag-type wrist rest instead of a gel one. They are better at taking the shape of your body, they get slightly less sweaty, and they slide around more easily on a mousepad. But it's a minor issue compared to having vs. not having one.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I get the feeling that this gets posted a lot, but my MX1100 started this annoying rapid double click thing about a month ago, like the click switch is wearing out. I decided to do something that never works, which is call a support line. The mouse has a 3 year warranty on it and I have the box and receipt.

Turns out I needed neither; the dude ran me through a couple troubleshooting things, and is sending me a new Performance Mouse MX. The whole biz took ten minutes. I'm not a fan of rechargable electronics (once the battery goes, the whole thing is useless), but I'm willing to overlook that since they're just sending it to me in good faith: I don't even have to send my old mouse to them.

So yeah, some brownie points for Logitech customer service. Let's hope the click switch lasts a bit longer on this one.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The left mouse button doubleclick is the death of most mice (save for certain logitech cord issues).

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

doctorfrog posted:

I'm not a fan of rechargable electronics (once the battery goes, the whole thing is useless)

If it's anything like the Logitech G700 it will have a removable battery (It's a rechargeable AA) and should also have a charging cable that doubles as a mouse cable.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used a Corsair M90? I'm intrigued by the side buttons on that thing and the shape looks good. Otherwise I'm considering a RAT7.

NihilCredo posted:

If you have a light grip (fingers or fingertips) I can't urge you enough to grab one of those, they cost as much as a sandwich and they are absolutely worth it. And if you don't have a palmrest already, grab a second one for your keyboard hand too.

BTW, if you can, I also recommend for your mouse hand a beanbag-type wrist rest instead of a gel one. They are better at taking the shape of your body, they get slightly less sweaty, and they slide around more easily on a mousepad. But it's a minor issue compared to having vs. not having one.
I use a big goony palm grip, I just have girly-soft sensitive skin or something.

I'll check out the beanbag rests though, thanks :) .

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I've got a Logitech MX Revolution and, just like all the other wireless Logitech mice I've owned, I'm starting to have problems getting it to charge when I put it in the charging cradle. Instead of just being able to put it in there and have it charge, I have to fiddle around to get it to start charging. I actually got this a few years ago as a warranty replacement for my last mouse when it started having this problem, so I doubt it's still under warranty.

I really like the shape and button layout of the MX Revolution, but I think I'm done with wireless mice. Looking on Logitech's site, I'm not seeing anything corded that's the exact same shape as the MX Revolution. The G500 and the G9x do come somewhat close though. What other options are out there for something similar in design to the MX Revolution?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

chizad posted:

I've got a Logitech MX Revolution and, just like all the other wireless Logitech mice I've owned, I'm starting to have problems getting it to charge when I put it in the charging cradle. Instead of just being able to put it in there and have it charge, I have to fiddle around to get it to start charging. I actually got this a few years ago as a warranty replacement for my last mouse when it started having this problem, so I doubt it's still under warranty.

I really like the shape and button layout of the MX Revolution, but I think I'm done with wireless mice. Looking on Logitech's site, I'm not seeing anything corded that's the exact same shape as the MX Revolution. The G500 and the G9x do come somewhat close though. What other options are out there for something similar in design to the MX Revolution?
I replaced my MX Revolution with a G9 due to the Revolution's lag. Solid replacement. My main complaint is that the scroll wheel doesn't have the auto-switch clutch; you have to switch modes manually with a button under the mouse, which is more trouble than it's worth. The MX revolution has the best mouse wheel of any mouse, and I'm disappointed that Logitech didn't put it on their newer mice.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Dominoes posted:

I replaced my MX Revolution with a G9 due to the Revolution's lag. Solid replacement. My main complaint is that the scroll wheel doesn't have the auto-switch clutch; you have to switch modes manually with a button under the mouse, which is more trouble than it's worth. The MX revolution has the best mouse wheel of any mouse, and I'm disappointed that Logitech didn't put it on their newer mice.

Ha! The auto-switch clutch is the only thing I really don't like about the MX Revolution, to the point that I've installed uberOptions so I can force it to always work like a traditional scroll wheel. Having it be a button on the G9 is perfect for me.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
My MX Revolution has the dreaded Occasional Double Click of Death after 4 years of service and I've been so impressed by Logitech's tech support and general build quality that I'd quite like to get another Logitech mouse. I know the G400 is supposed to be very good, but I really, really like my mouse being wireless and it's pretty much a dealbreaker if a mouse is wired for me. Is there a standout wireless Logitech mouse? Most of the ones I've looked at (Performance MX, M705) seem very similar to the MX Revolution and if they can't offer anything over it, I'd be tempted to just get another. The only exception is the G700, which looks quite spiffy, anyone have any experience with it?

Of course, if there's an especially good wireless mouse somebody else makes I'd be happy to consider it.

I mostly play games on my desktop, but not competitive multiplayer so I'm not bothered about on-the-fly DPI adjustment or weights. I do like a good amount of buttons, I like the Revolution's scroll wheel and I'm not bothered about handedness. I'm left handed but can use a mouse equally well with either since my Dad bought a right-handed Trackball many years ago. He's left-handed too :psyduck:

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
My MS Explorer 3.0 is finally kicking the bucket. To my horror, it doesn't seem to be in production anymore. Now I'm looking at a few different options. For reference I am holding my mouse with my fingertips, what Razer seems to call fingertip grip.

This means I don't want a too big mouse, especially since my hands are quite small for being a guy. So far, I've been looking at:
Roccat Kone+
Roccat Kova+
Razer Imperator 4G
Mionix Naos 3200
Mionix Naos 5000
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000

Preferably my next mouse wouldn't have too many buttons, I hate mice which looks like a space ship. Despite this, Roccat Kone+ is my favourite so far (you can turn off the LED-poo poo apparently) without having tried either of the above. I'm thinking the Microsoft mouse is probably the closest one to MS Exp 3.0, but I detest the glossy surface (awful to hold, looks like poo poo). Anyone have experience with the above, or got another suggestion?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I love my Naos 3200, but I absolutely cannot recommend them for fingertip grip. I have one for work, but it is strictly a palm grip mouse.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
G9x maybe?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

The only exception is the G700, which looks quite spiffy, anyone have any experience with it?

I bought one about 3 weeks ago, I really like it.

Pros:
-Good texture for the thumb rest area
-Good weighty feel
-The scroll wheel is free turning or clicky
-All 13 buttons feel nice and are easy to access
-13 god-damned buttons
-Programmable

Cons:
-Expensive
-No weight control

I would personally recommend it highly if weight control isn't a big deal, especially if you play MMO's.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
e: Derp, the keyboard thread is right there.

futile
May 18, 2009
For replacing your IE 3.0 since they're going out of production again:

I've been playing Quake pretty competitively for awhile now and ran into this situation myself recently. You'll find that a ton of mice now have heavy prediction or acceleration which will feel really strange after using the IE 3.0 for so long as it has none. You can adjust in time, though.

I tried a bunch of mice looking for one to switch to after using ie 3.0 for a decade and landed at the Zowie AM. It's an amazing mouse. No clutter, no need for drivers, no dumb loving LEDs. The 2 buttons on the right are a bit overkill but it's designed to be ambidextrous so whatever. Sensor is perfect.

Some others to look at:

Razer Deathadder (heavy and clunky and not good)
Zowie EC1 or EC2 (very very similar ergonomic shape to the IE3.0)

Some smaller mice. Smaller mice work great with Claw/fingertip grip:

Razer Abyssus (best mouse on the market right now for claw/fingertip except for a terrible jitter issue with certain mice and mousepads)
Steelseries Kinzu v2 (good solid mouse)
Steelseries Kana (good except it continues tracking when you lift it up, very annoying)
Microsoft WMO 1.1a (the mouse of champions, same sensor as IE 3.0 I believe)

If a mouse looks like something you would see in a sci fi film it probably sucks, including roccat stuff.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

futile posted:

Some smaller mice. Smaller mice work great with Claw/fingertip grip:

Razer Abyssus

If a mouse looks like something you would see in a sci fi film it probably sucks, including roccat stuff.

I just got one of these to replace on of my Diamondbacks that died and I have loved it so far. No thumb button is a slight irritation in one or two games, but overall I am really happy to have something that finally feels "right".

Why did Razer have to discontinue the Diamondbacks :argh:

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Backno posted:

I just got one of these to replace on of my Diamondbacks that died and I have loved it so far. No thumb button is a slight irritation in one or two games, but overall I am really happy to have something that finally feels "right".

Why did Razer have to discontinue the Diamondbacks :argh:
The thumb button is a deal breaker for me - it's a must have. At worst I could live with a back button below (towards the hand) the scroll wheel I suppose. I ain't looking for a wireless mouse, but the Mamba and/or Orochi, being used only wired, seems like decent alternatives. The Steelseries Xai looks like it could complement futile's list too.

I had a Logitech G1 back in the days though, and that mouse felt too small I'd say. I guess you could say that I'm a tad bit picky. I so wish there was a place where you could try out mice to get a feel for them before buying (I do not live in the US). Don't want to order -> send back in an ad infinum process.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

Marinmo posted:

The thumb button is a deal breaker for me - it's a must have. At worst I could live with a back button below (towards the hand) the scroll wheel I suppose. I ain't looking for a wireless mouse, but the Mamba and/or Orochi, being used only wired, seems like decent alternatives. The Steelseries Xai looks like it could complement futile's list too.

I had a Logitech G1 back in the days though, and that mouse felt too small I'd say. I guess you could say that I'm a tad bit picky. I so wish there was a place where you could try out mice to get a feel for them before buying (I do not live in the US). Don't want to order -> send back in an ad infinum process.

You should look into the Deathadder, it's basically the same shape as the IME 3.0. It has back and forward thumb buttons, no angle snapping and a great sensor.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
After trying out several mice I chose the Zowie Mico. It's a shame that I can't recommend it as the mouse wheel started squeeking a few weeks after I bought it. Some bicycle oil fixed it, but it's still a bummer I had to open the mouse.

So how is the Zowie AM's wheel? Does it squeek? Is it well made? I may want to change to something bigger somtime in the future. Thanks.

futile
May 18, 2009
Zowie AM's wheel is a big thick rubber wheel that's moderately loud when you use it and definitely gives quite a bit of resistance. I view all of these as good things that attest to it being solid and hopefully long lasting.

Deathadder is a good mouse and has an amazing sensor but I think it depends on what you use it for. For fast twitchy shooters like Quake it's a bit too big and heavy for most people's tastes, which is the only thing I'm really able to speak for.

The Xai fits on the list too, yeah. It has some hardware accel but outside of that is pretty solid. Sensei is not worth the money.

Also Zowie just announced these:

http://www.zowiegear.com/component/content/article/216-introducing-the-ec-evo

EC1 has the closest shape to IME 3.0 of any mouse supposedly. I'll probably try out the EC1 evo when it hits the stores.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

futile posted:

Also Zowie just announced these:

http://www.zowiegear.com/component/content/article/216-introducing-the-ec-evo

EC1 has the closest shape to IME 3.0 of any mouse supposedly. I'll probably try out the EC1 evo when it hits the stores.
As much as the image of some gamer "representing" a brand makes me twitch and want to buy something else, the conservative (read: old and grumpy) in me I suppose, this seems like my new mouse. I'm not really in a hurry to get one anyway, so waiting for this seems like it'll be well worth it. The EC2 is apparently a bit smaller, so I'm guessing it'd fit my hands better but I'll have to wait and see until I can actually hold one in my hand I suppose.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

futile posted:

Deathadder is a good mouse and has an amazing sensor but I think it depends on what you use it for. For fast twitchy shooters like Quake it's a bit too big and heavy for most people's tastes, which is the only thing I'm really able to speak for.

Ah yea. The last shooter I played like that was Unreal Tournament. The Deathadder is perfect for Counter Strike and I've heard that it's good for Starcraft as well.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

futile posted:

The Xai fits on the list too, yeah. It has some hardware accel but outside of that is pretty solid. Sensei is not worth the money.

Says you. The Sensei is loving awesome and totally worth the 80 bucks I spent on it. Used a Xai for about three months prior and a G9 before that.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Getting a Kinzu v2 Pro today. Pretty excited since I loved the original Kinzu aside from the sensor issues (also the buttons were a little meh). Let me know if you guys have questions about the mouse! I've used all kinds of other stuff (Abyssus, G300, MX518, G9x, Deathadder 3500, Lachesis, (ugh), Salmosa) so I should have pretty good perspective on it.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

TheQat posted:

Getting a Kinzu v2 Pro today. Pretty excited since I loved the original Kinzu aside from the sensor issues (also the buttons were a little meh). Let me know if you guys have questions about the mouse! I've used all kinds of other stuff (Abyssus, G300, MX518, G9x, Deathadder 3500, Lachesis, (ugh), Salmosa) so I should have pretty good perspective on it.

Hows the v2 better? I looked on the site but I couldn't notice anything really different apart from the regular one. I have a kinzu as well and I don't think I've run across any sensor issues either? I'm confused.

molotoveverything fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 21, 2012

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I can't remember the specifics, but I believe the original Kinzu sensor is regarded as one of the worst offenders in terms of prediction/angle snapping (though maybe only at certain DPIs--not certain about this part).

The new one has Omron switches (the same switches Logitech uses in everything--generally regarded as the best), bigger feet made entirely of Teflon, a different sensor (Pixart PAW3305DK instead of ST Microelectronics VT5366), and a different finish all around (obviously it's subjective whether this is better).

the V2 Pro was also bugtested prior to release by the mouse-obsessed guys at http://www.overclock.net/f/375/mice and Steelseries implemented their suggestions.

After the initial few hours of use, I think the Kinzu V2 Pro is my new second favorite behind the Abyssus. The buttons are really stiff at first, but either my hand got used to the amount of pressure you need or they break in a little. No problems with tracking at 800dpi 6/11. Middle mouse button is quite nice, though the whole wheel seems a little loose in the housing so I hope it doesn't gradually get looser.

The Abyssus still has the killer combination of the best sensor in existence (for my money), super light weight (it's only 6g lighter than the Kinzu, but feels lighter in use for some reason), and the flexibility of the hardware switch for DPI + a driver sensitivity scale + zero acceleration. But the new Kinzu feels a lot more sturdy and is probably less ergonomically controversial for most people

futile
May 18, 2009

Marinmo posted:

As much as the image of some gamer "representing" a brand makes me twitch and want to buy something else, the conservative (read: old and grumpy) in me I suppose, this seems like my new mouse.
True, but it is a welcome change from the 'Look how many lights and buttons we have on our mouse and also it has 15 million dpi' marketing scheme.

Yeah, original Kinzu sensor had ridiculous prediction and accel if you updated to the latest firmware. Otherwise it was a decent mouse. And I agree, if you have girly hands like me or just like your mouse small then the kinzu v2 pro and the Abyssus are the 2 best things out there right now. Except I have to add the zowie AM.

What do you use on the Sensei that makes it better than the Xai? I'm not saying this to be an rear end, I'm genuinely curious.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
-snip-

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 18, 2012

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Shogunner posted:

Says you. The Sensei is loving awesome and totally worth the 80 bucks I spent on it. Used a Xai for about three months prior and a G9 before that.
Question regarding the Sensei. My friend has a Xai and said that he personally felt that the buttons were too hard to click - when playing games requiring many clicks/second (SC2, Dota etc etc) he said he got fatigue in his fingers. Could of course be personal preference, but since you tried both the Sensei and Xai, how do they compare?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Marinmo posted:

Question regarding the Sensei. My friend has a Xai and said that he personally felt that the buttons were too hard to click - when playing games requiring many clicks/second (SC2, Dota etc etc) he said he got fatigue in his fingers. Could of course be personal preference, but since you tried both the Sensei and Xai, how do they compare?

The buttons on the Sensei have a crisp click (except maybe scroll wheel) to them, so there so is no doubting when you press them. Infact I find using the mouse when I play Dota 2 so plesant I sometimes take my headphones off just to hear it :v: The Xai's crispiness is a tad recessed in comparison, maybe even slightly mushy feeling. As for fatigue, I haven't experienced it with either mouse, if anything they are both much less fatiguing than using my G9.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I'd end up putting frag tape style feet on it every couple of months that would get worn through as I used them on the ratpadz.

This reminds me that I bought a bunch of teflon mouse tape / skates like 7 years ago from the manufacturers that made them for steelseries, with the intention of reselling them. Please help me get rid of them at $2.50 per sheet over at SA Mart here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm on my second Razer Lachesis (first real mouse was a Copperhead, which I also loved unconditionally). They've all died after ~2-3 years of use via the doubleclick problem.

My current Lachesis is still fine, but I'm very, very tempted by the Steelseries Sensei. How is the software for it? Razer software is pretty badly designed, though it's improved significantly from the Copperhead days.