Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Pretty cool shadow art using mummified rats and crows.

By Tim Noble and Sue Webster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Lets get some more classical art up in here.

The art of Alfred Kubin is perfect for this thread.

This is by Karel Hlavacek.

Debunk This! has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Aug 21, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
For some reason I find it impossible for art to be creepy. I've never once been creeped out by a painting or drawing unless it was in a movie and had some sort of effect applied to it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

PureRok posted:

For some reason I find it impossible for art to be creepy. I've never once been creeped out by a painting or drawing unless it was in a movie and had some sort of effect applied to it.

I wish I was as cool and special as you.

While not an image, I want to take the chance to link you guys to The Stairwell. This little concept has been done to death before, but here's a new one, so maybe it's better than the others?

Based on an older, creepy story about going down a long-rear end fight of stairs and finding something creepy at the bottom. There was already a game like this a while back that was made by a goon (based on the same source material, SCP-087, which itself is based on the creepy story mentioned above), but this one has things like light switches and whatnot.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

UnsubRedun posted:

Uh, thanks? It's been established I'm a giant baby based on previous stuff posted in here, but I just don't get how art is scary or creepy.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

PureRok posted:

Uh, thanks? It's been established I'm a giant baby based on previous stuff posted in here, but I just don't get how art is scary or creepy.

Alright guys, new rule for the thread going forward: no art.

Actually, gently caress that.

John Martin

Utagawa Kuniyoshi, "Princess Takiyasha summons a skeleton spectre to frighten Mitsukuni"

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

From here on out, there won't be any more "Heh, that poo poo don't scare a manly man like me :smug:" or any stupid callouts like this:

UnsubRedun posted:

Don't do it. Just don't. If someone posts something genuinely not within the thread style, as in you cannot begin to comprehend how another person would think it's creepy/scary, report it. Don't bring it up in the thread. It shits things up.

Aristurtle Records
Jun 9, 2006

live at random, live as best one can
Athlete Manute Bol

I feel bad about being creeped out by this as it's probably a medical condition, but those disproportionally long limbs just gently caress with my mind somehow

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

#1 pick for starring role in Slenderman: the movie, right there.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

casual poster posted:

This is from the first page, did anyone ever identify who did it? Someone said it was Junji Ito but it doesn't look like any of his other stuff.

If I remember right it was a piece of outsider art, possibly from a Japanese mental institution.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Aristurtle Records posted:

Athlete Manute Bol

I feel bad about being creeped out by this as it's probably a medical condition, but those disproportionally long limbs just gently caress with my mind somehow

One of the best things about Manute Bol was that he won a boxing match against Refrigerator Perry and gave his winnings to a charity for Sudanese refugees. It should say something about the guy that when he died back in 2010, his funeral service was held in the National Cathedral.

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

Rare Collectable posted:

I don't know why, but this one especially really creeps me out. I got goosebumps.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Athlete Manute Bol

He was 7 foot 7 inches tall, and weighed 200 pounds at his heaviest...

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

RCarr posted:

He was 7 foot 7 inches tall, and weighed 200 pounds at his heaviest...

Reminds me of the description ot the first people born on Mars in this series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_trilogy

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Rare Collectable posted:

John Martin

Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the great! She has become a home for demons... and a haunt for every evil spirit.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

eithedog posted:

Wow- do you know the artist for this?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I'm sorry, but no. Nobody knows since 2009.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

eithedog posted:

And in case anyone is wondering like I was, this one is from Deep North, a series of photographs by Chris Larson. The originals are only slightly less creepy, as they make it obvious that the drips all over everything are actually icicles.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Radio Paranoia posted:

If I remember right it was a piece of outsider art, possibly from a Japanese mental institution.

Somebody posted the artist's webpage earlier in the thread. Took me a minute of searching my history, but I found it: http://undergroundfortress.web.fc2.com/

Edit:

Titled "Atashi" (feminine 'I' or 'Me')

Tobaccrow has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Mar 15, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Aww, how cute, two children snuggling.

Wait a second...

:stare:

Fell
Feb 22, 2007

by Cowcaster

eithedog posted:

Whoa, that's crazy looking. It's just a few shades of orange and grey from a Beksinski landscape (that and the sheep would need to be corpses).

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Makaris
May 4, 2009

UnsubRedun posted:

While not an image, I want to take the chance to link you guys to The Stairwell. This little concept has been done to death before, but here's a new one, so maybe it's better than the others?

Based on an older, creepy story about going down a long-rear end fight of stairs and finding something creepy at the bottom. There was already a game like this a while back that was made by a goon (based on the same source material, SCP-087, which itself is based on the creepy story mentioned above), but this one has things like light switches and whatnot.

I really appreciate that link. Man that was cool. Didn't think I'd get as immersed as I did. I recommend anyone who hasn't checked that out do so.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Makaris posted:

I really appreciate that link. Man that was cool. Didn't think I'd get as immersed as I did. I recommend anyone who hasn't checked that out do so.

I pussied out around floor forty when the screen went black and faces were popping up. Not good poo poo to be playing in the middle of the night!

Pariah Messiah
Feb 16, 2012

PaleFigure posted:

Marcel Meyer's My Favourite Childhood Nightmares:

Honestly, I couldn't help but laugh at the ninja in the back there

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

hyperhazard posted:

This picture always reminds me of a painting of Black Shuck that was in a monster book I loved as a kid. I remember reading all about these weird creatures, Vampires, Werewolves and the like, but for some reason this picture really frightened me. Yet, I could never look away...

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

If it makes you feel any better, a predator with only one eye would have terrible depth perception and probably fare pretty poorly in the wild :v:

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

PaleFigure posted:

First image in the thread to score a direct hit for me. :cry: I'm so terrified of heights that I can't even look at it without involuntarily twitching. Time to head for the YOSPOS catte thread.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

UnsubRedun posted:

This was horrible, I got to around floor 30 feeling unnerved, and then a figure flew out of the wall at me and I jumped out of my skin and couldn't bring myself to go on :cry: Maybe I'll try again later...

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

PaleFigure posted:

Well, thanks for that awful feeling of all the pores in my hands and feet opening up. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

kinmik posted:

Well, thanks for that awful feeling of all the pores in my hands and feet opening up. :(

This what I was going to post, my heart skipped a beat.

Is that Brazil?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
They should have cropped those branches out in the bottom left hand corner.

A friend took a similar pic like that, there's probably something directly underneath him.

Jackdaw Zero
Sep 2, 2011
Wait for it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's not how you use shaving cream.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Liar!

You know, without the macro he looks kinda sinister. He's some sort of psychopath who's got you tied down and he wants to shave your face without using any shaving cream... because he doesn't want to share... :ohdear:

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
That is clearly a skull covered in shaving foam.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

eithedog posted:

Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the great! She has become a home for demons... and a haunt for every evil spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

b0nes posted:

Hrithik Roshan?

• Locked thread