Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
As a Tekken fan, is SFxT even worth buying? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Depends if can tolerate 2Ds.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

whip posted:

It's a street fighter game don't be fooled. Some of the inputs are the same and they have a lot of the same moves, but it doesn't play like tekken at all. If you like street fighter it's worth a shot though.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

whip posted:

I made a few posts recently about this...

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Play TTT2 Prologue instead, you can use a real character like Devil on point while keeping your obnoxious scrub robot girl character on as a crutch. :unsmigghh:

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I tried to give SFXT an honest chance, but it is one of the most boring fighting games I've ever touched. Of course, no one locally wants to play anything else but that now :suicide:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Is SxT really as slow as it looks? I never played SF4, but I always enjoyed watching streams of it. I tried watching some of Arturo's stream of SxT, and it was the most godawful boring fighting game I've watched. The characters are so big it seems like their pokes go across a quarter of the screen, and they have a geriatric walking pace and just slowly float through the air when jumping.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Is SxT really as slow as it looks? I never played SF4, but I always enjoyed watching streams of it. I tried watching some of Arturo's stream of SxT, and it was the most godawful boring fighting game I've watched. The characters are so big it seems like their pokes go across a quarter of the screen, and they have a geriatric walking pace and just slowly float through the air when jumping.

Pretty much.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The damage is also terrible, excluding infinites.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

A lot of the cast (most of tekken) have really awful walk speed. However with the faster air game and various normals that move characters about I'd say overall the game is faster than SF4. That isn't saying much though I admit.

HoobastankTheReason posted:

The damage is also terrible, excluding infinites.

Compared to what? Most cross cancel BnBs do between 400 - 500 health (without Gems). That's half health for a lot of characters.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 16, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Walkspeeds really are terrible in this game, but watching Arturo play is going to exaggerate your perception of the pace because he's one of the best Dhalsims in the world.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

2MB posted:

I got a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3SA about a year ago and my joystick just broke on me. I got a replacement JLF from Focus Attack but I can't seem to remove the screws that keep the mounting plate in. All my screw drivers seem to strip the screws. I've read online that there might be some glue to keep the screws in place? I don't see any though, nor would I know how to properly remove it. Any suggestions?

Can you access both sides of the screw? If so you need to grab the shaft with pliers and the top with your screwdriver.

Another option, does the JLF work in the Hori plate? If so you can just take the JLF out of its native plate and screw it into the one already in the stick.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Walkspeeds really are terrible in this game, but watching Arturo play is going to exaggerate your perception of the pace because he's one of the best Dhalsims in the world.

East Coast lame + Art being one of the best Sims in the world + unoptimized combo damage/confirms = ungodly slowness. Watching Chris Hu or the West Coast rushdown style makes the speed look like night and day.

The walk speeds are atrocious, though.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

So I've been playing on a fightpad and it's loving awful and I hate it.

I just bought SFxT after not playing a fighting game since Soul Calibur 2 and not playing a 2df since SSF2. I know my execution is going to suck rear end, but I can only pull off a QCF like 75% of the time and pulling off a DP is a a total crapshoot. My thumb hurts like hell and I'm frustrated because if my execution was better I'd probably be passable.

I'm definitely getting a stick in a about a month (Probably a Quanba) and I feel like that would make poo poo a lot easier. Has anyone gone from barely playing on a pad to a stick and having their execution improve tenfold? I know I'll have to get used to it but I feel like I would be so much better on a stick.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Critical posted:

So I've been playing on a fightpad and it's loving awful and I hate it.

I just bought SFxT after not playing a fighting game since Soul Calibur 2 and not playing a 2df since SSF2. I know my execution is going to suck rear end, but I can only pull off a QCF like 75% of the time and pulling off a DP is a a total crapshoot. My thumb hurts like hell and I'm frustrated because if my execution was better I'd probably be passable.

I'm definitely getting a stick in a about a month (Probably a Quanba) and I feel like that would make poo poo a lot easier. Has anyone gone from barely playing on a pad to a stick and having their execution improve tenfold? I know I'll have to get used to it but I feel like I would be so much better on a stick.

It will make your inputs easier after you practice a lot. It takes a bit to get used to playing on a stick.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

whip posted:

The answer is no, not at all, and if you really are so inclined to purchase it, buy it used for cheaper.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If you ask me having fooled around with sticks and pads over the last couple of months I can tell you what matters most is the quality of the product. My execution honestly remains the same no matter what tool I use (maybe I adapt quickly?), it's just if the thing I'm using sucks, I'll suck too.

I'm not sure what fightpad you're using, but I only have experience with the PDP analog fightpad. This thing had a strong concept and the buttons are well-made, but the analog sticks left input wore down after maybe 10 hours of play, and now registers going to neutral as an additional forward.

Don't skimp. Do your research and buy quality products.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If you ask me having fooled around with sticks and pads over the last couple of months I can tell you what matters most is the quality of the product. My execution honestly remains the same no matter what tool I use, it's just if the thing I'm using sucks, I'll suck too.

I'm not sure what fightpad you're using, but I only have experience with the PDP analog fightpad. This thing had a strong concept and the buttons are well-made, but the analog sticks left input wore down after maybe 10 hours of play, and now registers going to neutral as an additional forward.

Don't skimp. Do your research and buy quality products.

I picked up a $20 WWE Brawlpad. Supposedly the same as the old SF4 fightpads and I'd heard a few good things about those. I knew I was going to get a stick when I bought it but didn't have the money and didn't want to fight with the 360 pad.

The qanba is supposed to be good quality and even comes dual modded out of the box. I've been using the pad with a claw grip and my fingers over the buttons, so hopefully that helps a bit with the transition.

Critical fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 16, 2012

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
With a stick, you're gonna be worse at first, but don't get discouraged. After going to stick, I never, ever want to go back to pad. I think most pad players are people who didn't give sticks a chance. Once you actually get used to a stick, you'll wonder how you ever put up with playing on pad before.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

As someone just getting used to a stick, having all the button available at once is just mind blowing. It makes some stuff like Taskmaster's arrow super instantly better. I bet even MK9 is easier now that I can hit attack and block at the same time instead of worrying about the mushy button on the PS3.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
When I have to play on any sort of pad for movement input, I don't use my thumb to do joy inputs. Instead I use my index and middle finger because I feel like it gives me more control. I started doing it when I started playing SF4 and it remained a habit until I was able to buy a stick. QCF and DP motions are super easy because it comes down rolling from my middle to my index finger or going index-middle-both for each motion respectively. I still use two fingers on the left hand and claw the pad whenever I don't have a stick readily available to use. I think part of this also comes from playing fighters on MAME using a keyboard back in the day. I imagine I'd adjust something like a hitbox really easily.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Mega Comrade posted:

A lot of the cast (most of tekken) have really awful walk speed. However with the faster air game and various normals that move characters about I'd say overall the game is faster than SF4. That isn't saying much though I admit.

Compared to what? Most cross cancel BnBs do between 400 - 500 health (without Gems). That's half health for a lot of characters.

And they get half of that back when they tag out. Given how often rounds end in a time out in this game, characters either have too much health or the clock ticks down too fast.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Unless you're Wolfkrone sticks are better than pads. And this comes from someone who has played hundreds of hours of SFA2G on a pad.

If you do have to pad get a good one with six face buttons. I like the PS2 Nubbytech ones personally (the Xbox ones are bad for some reason).

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Sorry to interrupt stickchat, and this might sound like a dumb question, but is there any chance that CvS2 will end up on XBLA or PSN in the near future? I'm aching to pick it up again (and introduce my friends to it) but don't want to plunk down the money for a PS2 copy if I don't have to.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Unless you're Wolfkrone sticks are better than pads. And this comes from someone who has played hundreds of hours of SFA2G on a pad.

If you do have to pad get a good one with six face buttons. I like the PS2 Nubbytech ones personally (the Xbox ones are bad for some reason).

Wolfkrone was playing on stick for a while because the execution he had to do for for pad was hurting his fingers. Just saying that it's not always the case, even for Wolfkrone!

Manoueverable posted:

Sorry to interrupt stickchat, and this might sound like a dumb question, but is there any chance that CvS2 will end up on XBLA or PSN in the near future? I'm aching to pick it up again (and introduce my friends to it) but don't want to plunk down the money for a PS2 copy if I don't have to.

I doubt it, but I wish so much that this was true. :(

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

whip posted:

Basically the answer to anyone wondering if SFxT is worth buying is "Did you like SF4?"

Because seriously, if you like SF4 you will almost undoubtedly like this game. If you didn't like SF4 this game will not convert you. If you didn't play SF4 uhh.... I don't know what to tell you. I can tell you this game is not like tekken at all though, except for some of the strings having the same inputs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

quote:

Because seriously, if you like SF4 you will almost undoubtedly like this game.
I keep seeing people say this but I (and a hell of a lot of other people in my circles that I play with) play a shitton of SF4 and absolutely hate SFxT. I know anecdotes really don't mean anything but I figured it's worth speaking up.

Go get it from Gamefly or something if you really need to know, but don't waste money on it until you're absolutely sure.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Jmcrofts posted:

Basically the answer to anyone wondering if SFxT is worth buying is "Did you like SF4?"

Although that isn't a deal breaker, I like SF4 and I don't care for SFxT one bit.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
And I have a strong distaste for SF4, but I'm having a lot of fun with SFxT. Just try it out, rent it or soemthing and decide for yourself.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I like both because I'm a terrible person.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Jmcrofts posted:

Because seriously, if you like SF4 you will almost undoubtedly like this game. If you didn't like SF4 this game will not convert you. If you didn't play SF4 uhh.... I don't know what to tell you. I can tell you this game is not like tekken at all though, except for some of the strings having the same inputs.
I think SF4 is one of the least fun fighting games I've played, but I'm having a bit of fun with SFxT so far. I mean, it's still not the most fun fighting game in the world but at least I can play it without wishing I was playing literally anything else.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
I am kinda short on cash right now so I rented the game for like 5 days to see if I liked the game or not.

First few days, I was loving that poo poo. Playing online and chugging combos all day in training and trial modes. But after like day 3, poo poo started to get really boring for some reason. After that new game phase went off, I found myself not really playing the game because it felt really slow and boring.

Well that's just my opinion. It's nothing like tekken like all the other goons said. It's basically a sf4 with tekken characters and some more juggling.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Can you access both sides of the screw? If so you need to grab the shaft with pliers and the top with your screwdriver.

Another option, does the JLF work in the Hori plate? If so you can just take the JLF out of its native plate and screw it into the one already in the stick.

Just as an informative: Yes the JFL will fit Hori cases. I've got one of them in both of my Hori sticks.

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun
I met up with a friend of mine to play sf and he brought his new Quanba stick with the felt bottom. It felt a lot more secure when playing in my lap so I decided to mod my TE to have a felt bottom as well. I used this guide as a reference http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/felt-bottom-arcade-stick-mod.149182/.
I didn't follow this guide exactly (I used cheap sticky backed felt sheets and a cheaper glue) but it ended up really good for about 5 bux total spent and a little bit of work to take the bottom plate off. Really recommend this.

Just a note, this won't affect how secure the stick will be when playing on a solid surface like a desk since only the rubber feet make contact on flat surfaces.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Even better than felt is if you use the sandpaper grip-tape they make for stairs and flooring.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Digital_Jesus posted:

Even better than felt is if you use the sandpaper grip-tape they make for stairs and flooring.

Like the grip tape for skateboards? I imagine that'd damage any surface you'd be playing with it on, including your pants.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Drawer grip liner like this would probably be really effective and cheap while also working and being friendly on lots of surfaces. But I have a Qanba and the felt + feet work great for my lap and coffee table.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Chinatown Fair is reopening under a new owner.

http://arcadeheroes.com/2012/03/16/chinatown-fair-arcade-re-opening-soon/

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The commentators for MLG columbus are Fubarduck, BrewtusBibulus, The Answer, and 995Phil. Glad Phil got the MK commentator slot. Hope Arturo takes second man on the commentaries.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/fighting-game-community-out-in-force-at-the-pro-circuit-winter-championships/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The commentators for MLG columbus are Fubarduck, BrewtusBibulus, The Answer, and 995Phil. Glad Phil got the MK commentator slot. Hope Arturo takes second man on the commentaries.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/fighting-game-community-out-in-force-at-the-pro-circuit-winter-championships/

Fubar is doing all three games. Arturo won't be commentating much, if at all, unfortunately.

• Locked thread