Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, to be honest the Disciple is I think the first shotgun that you can get to 200% recharge with as it's so lightweight. I seem to recall getting 200% with a Disciple and a Phalanx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Goddammit, of all the quests to gently caress up, it had to be the Conrad Verner one. I missed out on some of the best dialogue and only got to see the ending portion of the quest.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

gently caress it. Second run. Did a Vanguard my first time, suggestions for character?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

precision posted:

I'm playing a Shep that cheated on Ash with Tali, because I really want to see how ridiculous the BioWare Rabbit Hole gets. Haven't met Tali yet, but I told Ash it was a meaningless fling and so far Ash is acting like we're "back on".

Oh, and it's a Paragon run. :v:
Ugh, what'd you tell her in the hospital? Clean Slate, I'm guessing?

If I hosed the relationship irrevocably just to finally get to chew her out for Horizon... ugh.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Two quick questions:

1. Side quests: I've read that you want to do as many side quests as you can before doing priority quests because some side quests can fail if you don't. I'm at the part when you go back to the citadel and the game really opens up, and I have like 15 side quests. I pop back into the Normandy, but I can't find any of the systems to do them in, aside from a few.

My question: Do the side quests that you CAN DO pop up when you highlight systems? There are a few I can do right now, like recovering the artifacts for the Blue Suns mission, but a lot of them like Benning: Evidence don't show up anywhere. I finally got annoyed with wandering the galaxy map and looked online, and about half my missions aren't available.

So: When side missions become available, do they automatically show up on the galaxy map as a blinking system?

2. Second: I'm doing an insanity run as a soldier, and I'm not going to lie, it's been rough so far. Just finished From Ashes, and with most of the tough battles so far I've had to be really tactical and find good cover or other ways to beat it. It's been fun so far, because in the old ME's I played 'em on normal and basically just blasted everything and didn't care about being careful...Now I have to be insanely careful and really think about how to approach every battle.

That being said, some things like Atlases and Turrets are giving me hell. As a soldier, is the game going to get way harder, or is it about like this the whole way?

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

PunkBoy posted:

James is awesome. Freddie did a great job voicing him.
I was sceptical of him at first but he's easily the best new character added to the game. The reporter who hops on board your ship was really forgettable though.

Kurtofan posted:

Personally I loved to hate Kai Leng, especially after he stabbed Thane to death, I didn't care about the reapers or the galaxy anymore, Thane (and Miranda too) had to be avenged!
:stare: he can kill her?

MadHat posted:

You have to be consistant in all your colored responses to him throughout the game, always Red or Always Blue. To make things worse one of the choices in hidden in a side conversation [Left side convo wheel] so many people never see it.
I don't think so because while I was mostly blue when speaking to him I gave him lots of red responses too and my final conversation gave me access to both Renegade and Paragon options.

Count Choculitis posted:

Just a reminder that I've written up in the OP some how-tos for quests/mechanics that aren't explained well. If you have any to add or suggestions, feel free to let me know! :)
Just a quick note: as a mainly Paragon character (85% blue bar) I chose the Renegade option and yelled at the fleet successfully.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

We;lp, that was certainly an ending.

What the gently caress was the point of getting a really high War Asset score? The goddamn fleet doesn't do anything

e: chose singularity for my ending.

It's what Legion would've wanted. And maybe the galaxy can rebuild since they've got harmonious parts of organics and synthetics. Control is a lovely option since TIM is clearly the loving bad guy. Destroy just dooms the galaxy to another cycle, even if it takes longer than 50,000 years.

Honestly, I guess given how Unstoppably Fuckoff Powerful the Reapers were, it was the best of all lovely solutions. If Javik hadn't been in the game, and if it hadn't been pointed out that each cycle attempts to help the next, I might've wanted a 4th option of "let the cycle take its course." As is, though, it would've felt like a massive betrayal, not only of the races in this cycle, but of the ones in previous cycles who clearly wanted the cycles to stop.

I guess...it wasn't really that bad in concept, but they completely hosed the execution.

Babylon 5 did it much better if we're going to talk about breaking cycles and needing to rebuild without previous technology.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 16, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

FairGame posted:

We;lp, that was certainly an ending.

What the gently caress was the point of getting a really high War Asset score? The goddamn fleet doesn't do anything

If your EMS is higher than 4000, and you choose "Destroy", you will get a five second clip that implies Shepard is still alive.

The entire War Asset system is poorly implemented. There is really no incentive to maximize your score.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 16, 2012

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Operative posted:

If your EMS is higher than 4000, and you choose "Destroy", you will get a five second clip that implies Shepard is still alive.

The entire War Asset system is poorly implemented. There is really no incentive to maximize your score.

gently caress that; given the people you show up with at the endgame location, Your away team is loving dead. A galaxy without Garrus and Tali is a stupid galaxy.

e: It's just so frustrating since all the cameo appearances and sappy speeches right before you launch the final assault are (for what the game is) really well done. Then just a massive failure at the end. Everything leading up to the ending was what I wanted, and then...whatever the gently caress that was happened.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 16, 2012

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I'm just getting around to this game. My spring break is next week (teacher) and I was going to get it to finally finish this series off. Only problem: I'm on a 4.5 year old iMac using Windows in BootCamp. I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 2600 XT, which is technically below the minimum requirements. HOWEVER. Can You Run It tells me it's below minimum specs, but gives me this readout:

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Pixel Shader version 3.0 4.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 4.0
Dedicated Video RAM 256 MB 256 MB

Missing here are the little green checkboxes next to each of those specs. So my graphics card is below minimum specs, but all of its features are satisfactory? What?

I was going to download the demo, but it's not available for download right now. Can I play this game or not? Since it's an iMac I can't just swap out the card, so I'm hoping it will work, because other than that, I have the recommended specs or better.

Riven fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 16, 2012

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

So I completed the game for the first time an hour or two ago with my default MaleShep - Paragon as heck gun-toting galactic peacemaker extraordinaire. Did everything right (or at least as right as possible, what with the few unavoidable either/ors the game throws at you) as far as I could tell, had a fuckton of assets and even bothered to raise galactic war readiness to 100%. It was a long, generally satisfying ride, with some of the best highs and lows of the entire series, and I was looking forward so very much to the big payoff at the end.

All I can say is that I suspect BioWare have been looking a little too much at what others have been doing in the past few years, and forgot that it's sometimes okay not to go along with the rest - especially if a slightly different approach has always worked out very well indeed for you in the past. BioWare RPGs, in my mind, are not supposed to necessarily end on what is essentially a downer. My biggest complaint isn't that they've basically closed off all possibilities for developing the ME universe further, or that the transhumanist angle came in too late and wasn't developed properly/felt out of place, but that they have made it largely impossible for the player to actually feel good about wrapping up this trilogy. Although I can appreciate the drama and ambiguity of ME3's conclusion, in the sense that it makes for more interesting science-fiction than a clichéd fairytale happy ending and, for better or worse, has evidently resonated very strongly with the playerbase, I can't help but feel somewhat cheated. Worse still, ME3's possible endings actually make me hesitant to play through the game again - and I get the impression that they have the same effect on many others. That BioWare apparently had not anticipated this response boggles my mind.

Even so, I do wish to stress that up to the end, it is a great third instalment in the series as far as I'm concerned. While playing I got the impression that there's a lot more non-interactive dialogue compared to the previous titles, which I thought was a pity, and I believe the game takes just a little too long to open up, but other than that I have no real material criticism to offer. I'm very impressed by just how much content and attention to detail there is in ME3, the combat and character-building aspects appear to have been quite sensibly refined since ME2, there's tons of lovely touches in characters' facial animations during dialogue/cutscenes, some very memorable writing, and, as I said, some of the best highs and lows of the entire series. Even if the finale is a letdown, you'll feel like a goddamn champ if you cure the genophage and broker peace between the quarians and geth. Here's hoping that BioWare will be moved to create a more pleasing (set of) ending(s), so that ME3 can eventually be called close to perfect without any reservations.

A Nice Boy posted:

Two quick questions:

1. Side quests: I've read that you want to do as many side quests as you can before doing priority quests because some side quests can fail if you don't. I'm at the part when you go back to the citadel and the game really opens up, and I have like 15 side quests. I pop back into the Normandy, but I can't find any of the systems to do them in, aside from a few.

My question: Do the side quests that you CAN DO pop up when you highlight systems? There are a few I can do right now, like recovering the artifacts for the Blue Suns mission, but a lot of them like Benning: Evidence don't show up anywhere. I finally got annoyed with wandering the galaxy map and looked online, and about half my missions aren't available.

So: When side missions become available, do they automatically show up on the galaxy map as a blinking system?
Some systems will only become accessible a little later on. Many of those will seem 'empty', i.e. there's no marker for any mission; that's where scanning comes in. You fly around a system, sending out scanning pulses until you detect something to pick up. There's no landing required, but if you detect something on a planet's surface you'll have to do a surface scan for a hotspot a la ME2. Since scanning more than once will alert the Reapers to your presence, and they won't leave until you've finished a mission (you can escape easily enough by flying to the edge of a system or a mass relay, though) I find it's best to start out doing the systems surrounding the one with the mass relay and abuse the quick-save function for if you scan in the wrong spot.

Also, a few missions will have pickups for the side-quests, so be sure to look around every area very carefully.

quote:

2. Second: I'm doing an insanity run as a soldier, and I'm not going to lie, it's been rough so far. Just finished From Ashes, and with most of the tough battles so far I've had to be really tactical and find good cover or other ways to beat it. It's been fun so far, because in the old ME's I played 'em on normal and basically just blasted everything and didn't care about being careful...Now I have to be insanely careful and really think about how to approach every battle.

That being said, some things like Atlases and Turrets are giving me hell. As a soldier, is the game going to get way harder, or is it about like this the whole way?
The first playthrough I mentioned was as a Soldier on Hardcore, and I found it quite challenging as well. A few enemies - Banshees above all - remain kind of nightmarish until the very end, since they take inordinate amounts of punishment and will hunt you down very quickly, but in general I thought the game became easier as I progressed through the levels. Having the right people with you helps, too. For example, fragile though she is, Liara's Singularity + Warp combo is highly effective in many situations.

FairGame posted:

gently caress that; given the people you show up with at the endgame location, Your away team is loving dead. A galaxy without Garrus and Tali is a stupid galaxy.
I took Garrus and Liara and thought "what the heck this can't be right, they can't be dead". Sure enough, though, I get to the final cutscene and watch Liara exit the crashed Normandy entirely unscathed. Perhaps the galaxy isn't so stupid after all. :unsmith:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Capt Happhypants posted:

So I just read a good article about why the ending is bad in so many ways. I tend to be very forgiving of movies, games, and all sorts of media and try to enjoy myself no matter what. I was willing to appreciate whatever ending ME3 gave me, but after reading this (massive spoilers in it so don't read if you don't want to know them) I truly do hope that Bioware will do something to fix it at some point, even if I have to buy a freaking DLC to get a better resolution:

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

If nothing else it would be nice to get a press release explaining why they decided to butcher the end as badly as they did, even if it is, "We ran out of time and the finance guys said to shoehorn this rubbish in."

I think the ending was a complete technical fuckup and I hate that article. It's nerdbaiting, demagogic bullshit that doesn't actually cover the technical, narrative, or actual thematic problems with the endings. And it uses loving stupid image macros instead of making a point.

If it were for any other game, Goons would tear it apart. It's dogshit. Utter dogshit.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I was sceptical of him at first but he's easily the best new character added to the game. The reporter who hops on board your ship was really forgettable though.

:stare: he can kill her?

I don't think so because while I was mostly blue when speaking to him I gave him lots of red responses too and my final conversation gave me access to both Renegade and Paragon options.

Just a quick note: as a mainly Paragon character (85% blue bar) I chose the Renegade option and yelled at the fleet successfully.

That was what I had heard was the problem, maybe just have gotten all the Blue/Red options and which you choose is inconsequencial?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

MadHat posted:

That was what I had heard was the problem, maybe just have gotten all the Blue/Red options and which you choose is inconsequencial?

It's probably just making every Blue/Red check possible with TIM and having a big enough bar at the end. I had my bar maxed at the end.

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

"We did something this year that was not based on animosity."
It think we will most likely see a post-ending/alternate choice DLC.The usual problem with DLCs that alter main gameplay is that players start to rant about it being cut from the game,that it's essential and everyone should have it for free with their copy of the game,etc.Now lots of players have already asked Bioware to make an ending DLC and said that they are willing to pay for it,so I don't see a reason not to use this opportunity.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

I just realized there were more endings to Bioshock 2 than ME3 and each one is different in how they reflect the choices you have made throughout the game. I just want to hold that up as a comparison here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I need advice, going to do my Insanity run, Vanguard again or something else?

Hylianbunny
Dec 31, 2007

TG: oh ok time travels involved
TG: thats all you needed to say everythings cool and under control then

Two Finger posted:

I need advice, going to do my Insanity run, Vanguard again or something else?

Vanguard has been a cakewalk so far. If you're looking to breeze through, vanguard is bestguard.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Infiltrator is really fun and Sabotage is really fun.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

How fast does galactic readiness decay? I heard someone mention if you unplug your machine from the internet it will lock it in place, is that true?

KitFez
Sep 5, 2011

Personally, I prefer the air!

Digital Osmosis posted:

How fast does galactic readiness decay? I heard someone mention if you unplug your machine from the internet it will lock it in place, is that true?

In my experience, it decays by 1% a day. I believe that happens regardless of internet connection to encourage you to play multiplayer.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

FairGame posted:

Actually this might not be quite true. I did an end run backwards and they never moved. It's not explained, but I think they weren't supposed to go with you. Also Anderson isn't with you and he says he came up after you. I'm thinking you were supposed to go in waves. They should have just added an extra line. Also their bodies aren't there on the ground.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KitFez posted:

In my experience, it decays by 1% a day. I believe that happens regardless of internet connection to encourage you to play multiplayer.

I went from 100 to 94% in a day. I play a lot of multiplayer.

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?

TheSpiritFox posted:

:frogsiren:Ending rant and more. Sorry for the size in advance:frogsiren:

I like to pretend Shepard dies, and his squadmates make it through. They kill TIM without listening to any of his bullshit, rescue Anderson, and when confronted with the Catalyst they reason through every choice they've seen Shepard make and decide what he would do: hack the Catalyst, aim the Crucible at the Reapers, then switch it off before it hits the relays. Memorial statue to Shepard and Anderson in Vancouver. Galactic civilization attempts to rebuild, humbled. The end!

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Or Shepard should have just pushed that little poo poo into the light stream and blew up all of the Reapers. You're welcome Something Awful, you're welcome.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I just want to verify, I should do all of the side missions as soon as I can, right? None of the Priority: XXXXX missions (the story line stuff) expire or cause me to lose if I take too long getting to them, correct?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I finished the game last night and have been thinking a lot about what they could've done instead.

The catalyst created the reapers, he should turn them off or at the very least tell them to gently caress off for another cycle and see how things go. Both of these options are better than any of the ones you're presented with. I still don't know why they destroy the relays. It makes no sense. Killing all synthetic life doesn't really either. The only one that makes any sense logically is the control one but even that is poo poo because you have to die.

It's like someone decided, well we want you to die so here are three options were you will die (or get a 10s cut scene if you play our multiplayer and farm all the war stuff).

Anyway I would have much preferred if they just turned off the reapers/told them to gently caress off for a cycle and then had a little montage of scenes based on your choices through-out all three games. It's not like it's a stretch they kinda did one just before the start of the end anyway. You wouldn't even need to pay voice talent if you're a cheap poo poo.

They should totally cut out that part with Joker too because that makes gently caress all logical sense either.

Also that bit right at the end with the old man and kid is just lovely and pointless.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh no. The Priority missions are the ones that make the clock tick. They lock and unlock sidequests as you go along, depending on the quest in question. Generally speaking you want to do as many as you can, but sometimes you'll get confusing ones, like Dekuuna, which you get when you first hear about the problems in the Far Rim, but you can't actually get to until you solve said problems two or three priorities later.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Parachute Underwear posted:

Infiltrator is really fun and Sabotage is really fun.
The best thing about Sabotage is that it's so frontloaded, you really only need to put 1 point into it to turn turrets from "oh god why" to "hahahah you bastards are hosed". The second pip (recharge time) is also nice to have, but you can safely skip 3-6 and you'll still have a very useful power.

Sidenote: I know that the fetch quests, or more accurately their givers, may disappear as you go through Priority missions, but will that ever happen to systems and the war assets therein? Or, once a system is unlocked, will I be able to explore it at any time right up until the point-of-no-return?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Bongo Bill posted:

Lair of the Shadow Broker has the biggest effect, followed by Overlord.

Mind spoiling what Shadow Broker effects? My save from 2 hard drives ago was apparently pre-shadow broker so I missed out on some goodies apparently :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Goddamn, every single mission on Rannoch was loving incredible. Best planet so far.

And I found Jarvik telling Vega a joke. Jarvik and Vega: they own.

Legion of One
Feb 17, 2012

You know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun but we just don't have time for mucking about

RBA Starblade posted:

I went from 100 to 94% in a day. I play a lot of multiplayer.

I think the higher your rateing the faster it falls.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If you have an iPad, the new Datapad app is good for some cheap and easy Readiness. You can get 2% every 6 hours right from square 1. And the bonus emails are adorable, and it idles in a nightstand mode that shows you the time and a panning shot of Thessia, it's actually very nice.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

CapnAndy posted:

Goddamn, every single mission on Rannoch was loving incredible. Best planet so far.

And I found Jarvik telling Vega a joke. Jarvik and Vega: they own.

I'm surprised with how much I ended up liking James despite the fact he looks like a loving jersey shore character. They really did a good job with him apart from the random out of place spanishisms.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

I'm surprised with how much I ended up liking James despite the fact he looks like a loving jersey shore character. They really did a good job with him apart from the random out of place spanishisms.

I think James' situation is similar to Miranda. Miranda was originally Scandinavian, but when Yvonne was cast as her voice they made her Australian. James probably became Hispanic after Freddie Prinze Jr. was cast.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I was really worried but James turned out okay. There's just a lot of really great characters that overshadow him.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

CapnAndy posted:

If you have an iPad, the new Datapad app is good for some cheap and easy Readiness. You can get 2% every 6 hours right from square 1. And the bonus emails are adorable, and it idles in a nightstand mode that shows you the time and a panning shot of Thessia, it's actually very nice.

If i had stand for mine I would leave it on all night long. Now some one needs to make a mass effect skin for it so its always like that.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

GruntyThrst posted:

I was really worried but James turned out okay. There's just a lot of really great characters that overshadow him.

I'm totally okay with this, since the insertion of a new character who becomes the most dominant presence would've just been awkward.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

isk posted:

I'm totally okay with this, since the insertion of a new character who becomes the most dominant presence would've just been awkward.

Yes he is a good character without trying way too hard to overshadow established characters, which Mister Space Ninja feels like on the villian side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

MadHat posted:

Yes he is a good character without trying way too hard to overshadow established characters, which Mister Space Ninja feels like on the villian side.

Bingo. There are many flaws with Kai Leng, and this is only one of them.

Vega, on the other hand, is a total bro. A vato.

• Locked thread