Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a ridiculous case for sure, but a shattered iPhone is a shattered dream, and there's some folks out there that, for whatever reason, really do best with an Otterbox.

I just don't get that Apple-logo-sized hole in the back. Seems like a gaping flaw for what otherwise should be a solid case. Unless the case itself is more about marketing and aesthetic than actual protection, in which case it's hilarious.

I have had multiple, and I stress multiple, people either get Otterbox because of the Apple-logo hole or just exchange the case they got so it could be displayed. Marketing works on anything related to subliminally telling others you own an Apple product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

I have had multiple, and I stress multiple, people either get Otterbox because of the Apple-logo hole or just exchange the case they got so it could be displayed. Marketing works on anything related to subliminally telling others you own an Apple product.

I have a stupid case with a stupid hole in it and I put a piece of paper in there with a little clipart thing to cover the logo because its shameful. On a side-note, people compliment my case all the time (wtf in general) and its a $9 case off Amazon with a stupid picture in the hole instead of the Apple logo. :whatup:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a ridiculous case for sure, but a shattered iPhone is a shattered dream, and there's some folks out there that, for whatever reason, really do best with an Otterbox.

Oh I can imagine my tears if I shattered mine, and I didn't have Applecare+.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
I just got an Airave Airvana V2 from Sprint today. Got it all set up several hours ago, all lights on their proper statuses, etc... and my signal still sucks. Sure, when I am sitting at my computer right next to the thing I get a full 5 bars. If I move roughly 25 feet away, into the very next room, I get... 2 or 3 bars. If I make all the way to the front of my house, an extra 15 feet or so... 1 bar. Maybe.

What the gently caress?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SneakyCracker posted:

I just got an Airave Airvana V2 from Sprint today. Got it all set up several hours ago, all lights on their proper statuses, etc... and my signal still sucks. Sure, when I am sitting at my computer right next to the thing I get a full 5 bars. If I move roughly 25 feet away, into the very next room, I get... 2 or 3 bars. If I make all the way to the front of my house, an extra 15 feet or so... 1 bar. Maybe.

What the gently caress?

What the gently caress indeed, do you live in a concrete bunker with chickenwire in the walls?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Entire Universe posted:

What the gently caress indeed, do you live in a concrete bunker with chickenwire in the walls?

You laugh, but I live in a house with concrete walls and my airvana does exactly what he's describing.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
No concrete or chickenwire, but I do live in an 80 year old house with plaster walls. Dunno if that would be whats doing this. The Airvana is all the way in the very back of my house (because thats where my cable modem is), but my house is only roughly 1500 sq. ft. and this thing is supposed to cover up to about 5000 sq. ft. So I don't know what in the hell.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Maybe it'll cover 5000 sq. ft. in an open field, but when walls start to get in the way...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SneakyCracker posted:

No concrete or chickenwire, but I do live in an 80 year old house with plaster walls. Dunno if that would be whats doing this. The Airvana is all the way in the very back of my house (because thats where my cable modem is), but my house is only roughly 1500 sq. ft. and this thing is supposed to cover up to about 5000 sq. ft. So I don't know what in the hell.

Huh, I am no electrician but could it be interference from wiring? At 80 years old (I used to live in a house that will be hitting 100 in a couple years, my apartment bldg is about as old, I have family living in houses over 120 yrs old,etc) you end up finding the place was last rewired in the 50s and the shielding is lovely. If you have a fusebox instead of breakers you may want to look into that kind of thing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I live in a tiny apartment and the airrave usually won't reach my bedroom. The power on it is a joke.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Sprint is able to increase the power of the Airraves. If you call them and complain that it is not covering your house they can turn it up.

Guppie
Apr 8, 2010

Pokies?
Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

This is exactly correct, and I need to add to the OP about how terrible the .marquee ended up being. Seriously , it isn't transform bad, but its pretty bad.

Would be interested in learning a little bit more about the specifics of marquee terrible-ness. I've heard the default launcher is not very smooth, and that battery life and signal reception are mediocre. Other than that, anything else?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guppie posted:

Would be interested in learning a little bit more about the specifics of marquee terrible-ness. I've heard the default launcher is not very smooth, and that battery life and signal reception are mediocre. Other than that, anything else?

Random problems. Honestly, at this point LG makes terrible phones is the only way to look at it. It seems to lag, and random stuff seems to have problems. Avoid the phone.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I just got a notice after logging into Sprint's picture mail site (http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/pictureMail/) saying that the site's being discontinued in April. Is there an alternative way to see all of your media messages online, or are we just out of luck after April?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blakkout posted:

I just got a notice after logging into Sprint's picture mail site (http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/pictureMail/) saying that the site's being discontinued in April. Is there an alternative way to see all of your media messages online, or are we just out of luck after April?

I think out if luck.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For some reason, my signal goes down at night here in Omaha. I'm not sure why but it drops down to one to two bars each night, but has full signal the rest of the time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

For some reason, my signal goes down at night here in Omaha. I'm not sure why but it drops down to one to two bars each night, but has full signal the rest of the time.

Probably because people come home from work and there are more people on the towers.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
That is really interesting because I always get the best 3g at night, from like 11pm to when I get off work, sometimes 4am.

I assumed it was because all the boost mobile, virgin mobile Sprint people are finally not using their phones and therefore not clogging the towers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Like everything else in this city, the loving towers close at night.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably because people come home from work and there are more people on the towers.

It stayed bad until about 5am. I'm going to check and see when the signal starts dropping. I think I checked about 2am and it was still about 1 bar.

Like everything else in this city, the loving towers close at night.

Honestly, this would not surprise me one bit.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

And 5am is when people start heading off to work. The range/signal strength of a tower is inversely proportional to the amount of phones connected to it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

td4guy posted:

And 5am is when people start heading off to work. The range/signal strength of a tower is inversely proportional to the amount of phones connected to it.

Yes that's understood, it works a bit like summer brownouts when all the fat fucks crank their AC to "fat gently caress needs refrigeration" levels in the afternoon.

It's just less ugly to call someone on the way home from work.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
I read the OP but I'm hoping someone who works internal can help me out a little bit. I had my phone stolen the other week (uninsured, go figure) and I don't have any option for discount/rebate. Is there any other way I can get a good phone without going through the hassle of craigslist/ebay? I just want to know my options, I've been with Sprint for years and they seem to not budge when it comes to this kind of stuff even for loyal customers.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just realized several stupid things just happened.

I went in to a third party store to sign up and start my service with a used Evo. I didn't get a copy of my contract, even though I did read it and it was right. I'll double check once I set up the online account.

However, the weird part is, he said, even with activating a used phone, I have no upgrade eligibility for two years. Is he just taking out his rear end, because now I'm wondering if so, I'm stuck on Wi-max.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

I read the OP but I'm hoping someone who works internal can help me out a little bit. I had my phone stolen the other week (uninsured, go figure) and I don't have any option for discount/rebate. Is there any other way I can get a good phone without going through the hassle of craigslist/ebay? I just want to know my options, I've been with Sprint for years and they seem to not budge when it comes to this kind of stuff even for loyal customers.
You're not getting a new free phone (or partially free) without insurance. It's just not done. Doesn't matter how good of a customer you are. And yeah, eBay/Craigslist is your best option right now.

toplitzin posted:

I just realized several stupid things just happened.

I went in to a third party store to sign up and start my service with a used Evo. I didn't get a copy of my contract, even though I did read it and it was right. I'll double check once I set up the online account.

However, the weird part is, he said, even with activating a used phone, I have no upgrade eligibility for two years. Is he just taking out his rear end, because now I'm wondering if so, I'm stuck on Wi-max.
He lied. You definitely keep upgrade eligibility if you bring your own used phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You could call Retentions and they MIGHT push your upgrade forward a bit (seriously this means a month maybe two if you get someone who just got a raise) but if you're outside of that window then its Craigslist, or the refurb section on the sprint website. Craigslist will probably get you something between an EVO and Nexus S or along those lines in the $1-200 area, depending on where you live.

Look at it this way: even with insurance you would have had to pay $100 for a replacement from Asurion. If you're looking to upgrade within the next 6 months, you could go with a cheapo clamshell for the next few months then ask retentions to fudge your upgrade a bit. If you have to have a normal phone now now now then Craigslist.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I hear ya man, but do you know how many times we hear the loyal customers thing everyday? Flexibility is ruined by customers over the years pushing for early upgrades when they didn't need them and by the expense of phones like the iphone that are just really expensive. You had the option to get insurance, and didn't get it, that's the risk you take.

Two options:
1. Call sprint retention and buyout your upgrade. The price will vary based on how long it has been since you last signed. Then you can get new customer pricing.

2. Buying something used. This is cheaper and actually not an awful option. And if you want to insure it you can, believe it or not. Check SA Mart *cough*I have a 3D for sale*cough*

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
I'm torn between the Motorola XPRT and Photon. As I understand it either would be 70/mo including the $10 fee on EPRP. Good battery life and global capability are important to me and also I hate samsung. (Previous moment owner.) I don't have 4G in my area yet but have heard it's coming in a few months. I do frequently visit cities that have 4G, so I figure I should get the Photon since I'd be already paying for 4G. Any thoughts?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Cock Democracy posted:

I'm torn between the Motorola XPRT and Photon. As I understand it either would be 70/mo including the $10 fee on EPRP. Good battery life and global capability are important to me and also I hate samsung. (Previous moment owner.) I don't have 4G in my area yet but have heard it's coming in a few months. I do frequently visit cities that have 4G, so I figure I should get the Photon since I'd be already paying for 4G. Any thoughts?

If you don't have WiMax yet I wouldn't count on getting it, since Sprint's moving to LTE.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

big mean giraffe posted:

If you don't have WiMax yet I wouldn't count on getting it, since Sprint's moving to LTE.
Wow, I assumed the Photon had 4G LTE *and* WiMax. That really sucks that it doesn't. Now that I know this, I think I'll go with the XPRT, since it's free and I like its hardware keyboard.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Cock Democracy posted:

Wow, I assumed the Photon had 4G LTE *and* WiMax. That really sucks that it doesn't. Now that I know this, I think I'll go with the XPRT, since it's free and I like its hardware keyboard.

My mom had an XPRT, it's kind of lovely. I wouldn't recommend it personally.

*edit* To be more specific, it was really slow and has an incredibly lovely screen.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 17, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cock Democracy posted:

I'm torn between the Motorola XPRT and Photon.
Neither is worth it, if you really want a global roaming device, get the iPhone 4S. Otherwise wait for the Galaxy Nexus and pick up a cheap GSM device for when you travel.

Samsung phones have improved considerably hardware-wise since the Moment, and Nexus devices have solid software/update support. In contrast, recent Motorola devices have had, at best, inconsistent quality.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I had my phone stolen the other week (uninsured, go figure)
Do you have homeowners or renters insurance? It's quite possible that your policy covers the device even if it was stolen outside your home (e.g., your car), but the deductable may still not be worth it relative to picking up a used Evo or something.

Sprint phones are amazingly bad at retaining their value used, which is great for buyers

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I live in Omaha, Nebraska. I have a Samsung Moment (complete piece of poo poo) and I am eligible for an upgrade ($150 level, so it won't get higher by waiting).

Sprint 4G is not available in Omaha. It sounds like the current 4G phones are Wimax-only, so they will never work for 4G here in Omaha.

I am really tired of my phone. When is the Samsung Nexus supposed to be available? What is the price likely to be with a two-year contract? I am really unwilling to spend more than $200 plus contract for a phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PBCrunch posted:

I live in Omaha, Nebraska. I have a Samsung Moment (complete piece of poo poo) and I am eligible for an upgrade ($150 level, so it won't get higher by waiting).

Sprint 4G is not available in Omaha. It sounds like the current 4G phones are Wimax-only, so they will never work for 4G here in Omaha.

I am really tired of my phone. When is the Samsung Nexus supposed to be available? What is the price likely to be with a two-year contract? I am really unwilling to spend more than $200 plus contract for a phone.

:v: it works in the westroads parking lot

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PBCrunch posted:

Nobody knows on the Galaxy Nexus, but probably $199 and probably May-June. Buy a used nexus S out of contract for $200, an resell it for $200 when the Galaxy Nexus comes out.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

:v: it works in the westroads parking lot

I haven't gotten 4G anywhere here. I've heard it works downtown though.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Nobody knows on the Galaxy Nexus, but probably $199 and probably May-June. Buy a used nexus S out of contract for $200, an resell it for $200 when the Galaxy Nexus comes out.

I'm not saying this isn't a valid plan, but I don't think the NS4G will keep its value once the GN launches. Once that happens it won't be the only AOSP device on Sprint and it will be one generation older hardware wise. That said, it will probably get a decent enough of a return to make the rental with it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

New rumor about the Galaxy Nexus is that it will launch on April 15th. Apparently, the LG Viper will release on that day too.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-117-confirmed-sprint-targeting-april-15th-for-galaxy-nexus-launch/

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-118-lg-viper-to-see-launch-on-april-15th-alongside-the-galaxy-nexus/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
Well that's good news. I thought that the verizon version launched on December 15th. It would make sense that it would launch 5 months after that, but wouldn't 6 months make more sense?

edit: I guess it would be 4 full months, not 5

atomicvocabulary fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 18, 2012